Luggage locks: TSA or regular

If your talking about when you drop off your luggage at the ship, the ship does not have the TSA keys, so you can lock your suitcase with any lock you want. When they X-ray your luggage, if they see something suspicious, they will call you to the "naughty room" and have you open the luggage in security's presence. They will not open your luggage without you there.

If your talking about when you drop off your luggage at the ship, the ship does not have the TSA keys, so you can lock your suitcase with any lock you want. When they X-ray your luggage, if they see something suspicious, they will call you to the "naughty room" and have you open the luggage in security's presence. They will not open your luggage without you there.

Good to know.

You don't even need TSA locks for flying...it's not a "law"...it's a suggestion. I use keyed Master locks for luggage....if they want to get into my stuff, they will have to call me, or cut it off....at any rate, I'll KNOW someone has been in my stuff!

Save yourself some grief and money, use zip ties.

Locks are for honest people and tell thieves that "this is the bag" that has the goodies in it.

Zip ties tell the bad guys that this bag is full of dirty clothes (even if it isn't)

It is amazing how many locks, TSA and other, we have seen that were cut off by various types of heavy duty bolt cutting tools.

No not exactly - we were on Celebrity last November and one of our suitcases had all the contents rumpled up and in total disarray That isn’t how we pack. Then we saw a note on the bottom of the suitcase that said our bag was selected by TSA for random search. Although we didn’t have any locks on it - that would never stop them from opening the bag(s) without us present. So beware it can happen to anyone.

When we went on our last cruise, we picked up our two suitcases off the carousel and one of them had the TSA lock cut off. There was a note inside saying they inspected both suitcases but didn't have a key that worked on one of them. They were both keyed the same. The cut off lock was in the case, and my key unlocked it. Not worth pursuing as nothing was missing.

I will need to use locks on my luggage and was wondering: is it required to use TSA locks like airlines require?

TSA doesn’t have personnel at cruise terminals, that’s why you don’t need TSA locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have zippers to close your luggage, anyone can open it. A thief can quickly take what they want and then seal it back up. Locks will not keep them out.

I use zip ties just to make sure the ship does not open without me present.

No not exactly - we were on Celebrity last November and one of our suitcases had all the contents rumpled up and in total disarray That isn’t how we pack. Then we saw a note on the bottom of the suitcase that said our bag was selected by TSA for random search. Although we didn’t have any locks on it - that would never stop them from opening the bag(s) without us present. So beware it can happen to anyone.

Agree. TSA goes into my Luggage at least once a yr. Travel a lot, Solo, many times last minute. Usually looks like they dumped all my clothes out after I packed neatly, included note from TSA...

When we went on our last cruise, we picked up our two suitcases off the carousel and one of them had the TSA lock cut off. There was a note inside saying they inspected both suitcases but didn't have a key that worked on one of them. They were both keyed the same. The cut off lock was in the case, and my key unlocked it. Not worth pursuing as nothing was missing.

TSA inspections seem to happen most often to us when we pack power cords in the luggage. We just use zip ties.

You don't even need TSA locks for flying...it's not a "law"...it's a suggestion. I use keyed Master locks for luggage....if they want to get into my stuff, they will have to call me, or cut it off....at any rate, I'll KNOW someone has been in my stuff!

They won't call you. They will cut it off. So why not use TSA locks?

If you have zippers to close your luggage, anyone can open it. A thief can quickly take what they want and then seal it back up. Locks will not keep them out.

I use zip ties just to make sure the ship does not open without me present.

If the ship wants to open our luggage that's fine with me not being there. We have never been called to the naughty room, but if they thought they saw something suspicious I would prefer that they look in and then send it up to the room. I wouldn't want to wait in line for no good reason since they won't find anything that shouldn't be in there.

If you have zippered luggage, thieves can open and close your luggage without touching the lock. The only way you would know is if they took something.

To the original poster, I am not sure why you will "NEED" to use TSA locks. As stated above people can open a zippered bag TSA lock, zip ties, or otherwise. I would never consider packing expensive electronics, jewelery, etc in checked backage. So the only thing they could steal from my checked luggage would be clothing which I don't think there is a high value in the black market.

TSA didn’t go through your bag at the cruise terminal, they went through it at the airport. TSA doesn’t work cruise terminals.

Had nice perfume taken once flying home from a Caribbean island. Tsa locks on the bags. Now I always use tiny zip ties. Won’t stop a very determined thief, but someone with a TSA key illegaly it will slow down enough to make my bag less attractive I believe.

Has worked so far, for many years of travel.

Absolutely TSA is at Port Everglades cruise terminal - and in response to the above poster we drive to the cruise terminal and never fly. TSA opened my luggage, letft a note that it was TSA that opened the bag.

Sorry but you are absolutely 100% mistaken. If you had a note saying TSA went through your bag, you were robbed.

In payment for letting me come down to visit way more than I should, I always replenish my daughter’s toiletry cabinet. My checked bag will have 15-20 bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste, etc. TSA ALWAYS opens my bag! I use zip ties just to keep the bag from opening accidentally but TSA is welcome to look. I also pack my clothes in dry cleaning bags. Never had them mess up my clothes that way and helps with wrinkles!

Sorry but you are absolutely 100% mistaken. If you had a note saying TSA went through your bag, you were robbed.

Really? From this article:

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-screen-passengers-cruise-110191.html

comes this:

The Transportation Security Administration holds the responsibility of keeping America's ports and transportation systems secure, enabling freedom of movement for people and commerce. Just like the extensive security checks performed at airports, cruise ship passengers also go through a screening process before boarding a U.S. vessel in domestic or foreign waters. The procedures are typically a collaboration between the TSA and the vessel operators.