Cancellation charges

gollane

The $200 can be applied to a future cruise.  It seems that this is the new trend, Regent is not the only company to have this policy.  I know that Silversea does, and if I'm not mistaken, Crystal does as well starting with 2020 sailings.

Unfortunately, I think most cruise lines are having to do this due to the number of people who book multiple cruises until they decide what actually works for them.  I know it's tough to plan so far in advance at times, but it's also tough for the cruise companies to see what's actually selling.

I've had to reschedule a few cruises in the past and never had any trouble transferring my deposit to another itinerary.  You just have to make sure you find another cruise with the same cruise line!  :classic_biggrin:

The agent never said that it would be transferable. He said that it was an administration fee that was imposed and not refundable. They still haven't imposed it on the Princess, Celebrity or Holland America lines. Pretty upsetting for a two week look into the itinerary. I could have held this cabin for months and they would have made money most likely has their fares usually climb. I understand what everyone has commented on and yes it was there after the fact in their terms, so it is my fault for not reading the fine print and assuming they were like other lines that I am more familiar with. But assuming is something one should never do.

Well, if you're still interested in a Regent cruise any time in the future, I'd call back and ask them if they can transfer it over.  It's annoying having to read all of the fine print in the T&C all the time, but it's a fact of life these days, I guess.

This is where a good TA who's familiar with the luxury lines would be a big help.  Hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

This is a sore spot for me.  First your TA does a lot of work and time on your booking, so why shouldn't they get paid for their work if you cancel.  They aren't getting a commission from Regent when you cancel.  When people book a cruise and pick a suite to hold a space, Regent should charge a fee for this.  This practice has to stop---someone else may want that space but is blocked out because someone is holding 2 or 3 cruises until they decide which one works for them.  That's just thinking how important they are--if that's the case let them pay a fee.  I know people will say things happen---yes they do and that's why they sell insurance just in case.  But holding a suite because you aren't sure, that's just being selfish.

Agree with Bill.  I think that it is sad that so many people use TA’s that may be friends/relatives, book great land trips, etc.  However, over the years we read so many times that TA’s that do not regularly book Regent give incorrect information.  This is the case with cancellation fee that is absolutely applied to the next cruise that you book

Our TA (one of the largest sellers of Regent), have their clients cancel, transfer cruises, etc. all of the time and no one is charged one cent (if they book another Regent cruise).

Ronrick, what your post made me think of is a problem that Oceania had with passengers booking multiple suites (particularly inside suites) - hoping to get upsells.  I believe, but do not know, that this issue has been resolved somehow.  In all of our years of cruising Regent, we have not heard of one person that booked multiple suites (sometimes they book a suite and get on a waitlist for other suites but that is a different scenario.)

Edited by Travelcat2

Let me say something. We have been on the Gauguin back in 2004 and 2005 then again in 2009, so it has been awhile for booking a luxury line. We have been on numerous cruises but not the luxury lines, only at these times. 

I did not use a travel agent, I booked online by myself. They have bombarded me with fancy brochures and emails several times a week advertising promotions, etc. I have 2 personal cruise consultants somehow with them and they have constantly sent things tome. Well we have never traveled to Europe and it is a special occasion and they sent a whole thing about their newest ship the Splendor. The way it seemed being that far out I would have some time to decide without penalty to look into their excursions and exactly what was being offered. I didn't think it would cost me 200 for the privilege. This was a 30000 dollar trip. One that we would do once in our lives. As our budget does not allow for this kind of a trip being available to us always. Now maybe to some people on these boards 200 dollars isn't a big deal, but guess what? It is for us and probably a lot of other people. And maybe I can consider it a blessing  as if 200 isn't a big deal to most people that patronize the luxury lines then we are probably fortunate that we didn't pursue it after all. $200 for holding a cabin for two weeks that they didn't have to do anything for is pure ludicrous.

20 minutes ago, california and cruising said:

Let me say something. We have been on the Gauguin back in 2004 and 2005 then again in 2009, so it has been awhile for booking a luxury line. We have been on numerous cruises but not the luxury lines, only at these times. 

I did not use a travel agent, I booked online by myself. They have bombarded me with fancy brochures and emails several times a week advertising promotions, etc. I have 2 personal cruise consultants somehow with them and they have constantly sent things tome. Well we have never traveled to Europe and it is a special occasion and they sent a whole thing about their newest ship the Splendor. The way it seemed being that far out I would have some time to decide without penalty to look into their excursions and exactly what was being offered. I didn't think it would cost me 200 for the privilege. This was a 30000 dollar trip. One that we would do once in our lives. As our budget does not allow for this kind of a trip being available to us always. Now maybe to some people on these boards 200 dollars isn't a big deal, but guess what? It is for us and probably a lot of other people. And maybe I can consider it a blessing  as if 200 isn't a big deal to most people that patronize the luxury lines then we are probably fortunate that we didn't pursue it after all. $200 for holding a cabin for two weeks that they didn't have to do anything for is pure ludicrous.

It is very unfortunate that you weren't aware of the admin fee. When we booked our first Regent cruise we used a local TA that didn't inform us about it either.  I have cruised for many years and hadn't run into the fee before either. I would hate to give up the $200 as well but at this time we don't book with Regent unless we are fairly certain that we will be going on it or will rebook on a different one.  
We had to cancel one but was able to transfer the admin fee to another booking. 

2 hours ago, california and cruising said:

The agent never said that it would be transferable. He said that it was an administration fee that was imposed and not refundable. They still haven't imposed it on the Princess, Celebrity or Holland America lines. Pretty upsetting for a two week look into the itinerary. I could have held this cabin for months and they would have made money most likely has their fares usually climb. I understand what everyone has commented on and yes it was there after the fact in their terms, so it is my fault for not reading the fine print and assuming they were like other lines that I am more familiar with. But assuming is something one should never do.

And yet you blame Regent because you did something you say should never be done.

I guess I am glad it worked out for OP, but I don't understand, nor do I have much sympathy for, people who book a cruise without knowing something as basic as the cancellation fee schedule.

1 hour ago, california and cruising said:

$200 for holding a cabin for two weeks that they didn't have to do anything for is pure ludicrous.

Obviously they did something - you said you had two cruise consultants, I'm sure they had to process the bookings.  They've sent you (probably unsolicited) mailers and brochures, and whatever cabin you had booked needed to be A) booked, and B) released.  Maybe not $200 worth, but sure not "didn't have to do anything".

4 hours ago, california and cruising said:

I don't understand, why wouldn't you wait and book when your ready and know what you want in a cruise.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Ronrick, what your post made me think of is a problem that Oceania had with passengers booking multiple suites (particularly inside suites) - hoping to get upsells.  I believe, but do not know, that this issue has been resolved somehow.  In all of our years of cruising Regent, we have not heard of one person that booked multiple suites (sometimes they book a suite and get on a waitlist for other suites but that is a different scenario.)

TC2I was just saying if you're not sure what you want, why not wait and book when you're ready to book.  My agent doesn't charge for a change--however if you cancel I wouldn't be upset if they did.  We haven't cancel yet, but it would be OK. rick

On 2/28/2019 at 12:31 AM, california and cruising said:

I won't be sailing with them in the future.

If I may, I would like to offer you 2 pieces of advice-

1)  Your $200 can be used to make a booking can be applied to a new booking made for a future cruise.  So you have until Feb 24, 2020 to book something in 2020, 2021, or beyond if available. (if this is incorrect, someone please let me know).  Perhaps you will find a sailing that you find appealing.  I think it is a mistake to close the door on Regent based on what was obviously a misunderstanding.  Since you made this booking yourself without using an agent, I think you agree that it was your responsibility to understand the terms.  You are clearly upset about the existence of this policy, but as I pointed out, Regent is not the only line to have this policy. It would be great if the $200 is not lost to you, and if you are like most of us, you will not be dissapointed with a Regent cruise.

2) I strongly suggest that you use a Travel Agent for booking, especially one that is highly knowledgeable about luxury cruising.  There are many advantages to doing this, not the least of which is that you have a conversation with an actual human being about what your commitment are.  

Bob

On 2/28/2019 at 12:31 AM, california and cruising said:

I put a deposit down on Regent for the Splendor. The sailing is April 2020. I put it down February 15 and I canceled it February 25 only to be told that there was a 200.00 administration fee for canceling. I have never had anything like this ever before. I booked as so I could review the itinerary better as they sent a big push on the Splendor and I didn't want to lose the space just in case. Live and Learn. I won't ever put a deposit down unless I am 100% sure. I think it is wrong of them to this. I won't be sailing with them in the future.

We will cancel and rebook cruises sometimes. There has always been an administratin fee of $100pp.. when we rebook, it becomes a credit on our new cruise. The same rule applies for the Splendor. We have two future cruises already booked on the Splendor. 

If you want to put a hold on a Regent cruise for one week to decide, you can do that without a deposit. You may cancel anytime within the week, otherwise it cancels automatically. That’s why you need to know all your facts before you book. 

You should use a travel agent specializing in Regent cruises. Not only would you get expert advice, you get great rebates. 

You can learn a great deal from experienced Regent travelers, as well. 

Sheila 

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

The Isle of Man will be very very busy at that time for us anyway ,if you don't want to take an included excursion you could walk to the end of the bay,about 1.5 miles, and get on a vintage electric tram to Laxey or even do the whole trip to Ramsey.Alternatively get off in laxey and take another tram to the top of our only mountain,Snaefell which has a café at the top.

To get back you would have to do the trip in reverse.

In the sea terminal there is a visitor centre where lots of advice is available,maybe you could buy a transport rover ticket which is good value if you are adventurous.

There is also a Victorian steam railway only a short walk from the harbour.

Peel is another place to visit by bus or taxi where there is a heritage centre.

I don't think you could entertain yourself in Douglas all day,we are a very friendly and helpful lot over here ,everyone will be only too pleased to help out and answer any questions you have.

Hope you enjoy our lovely little island.

I am really unclear about why the OP is upset about a $200 cancellation fee which can be applied to a future cruise.  Have you ever cancelled or rebooked an airline ticket?  Most major airlines change $200 for that.  And airline tickets are way less expensive than cruises.  

3 hours ago, sanne said:

So do I have this right?

I have 2 cruises booked.  I cancel the first cruise, will the $200 cancellation fee be credited onto the second cruise? 

No, I don’t believe so.  It may be applied to a new booking, though.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2019 at 9:31 PM, california and cruising said:

I put a deposit down on Regent for the Splendor. The sailing is April 2020. I put it down February 15 and I canceled it February 25 only to be told that there was a 200.00 administration fee for canceling. I have never had anything like this ever before. I booked as so I could review the itinerary better as they sent a big push on the Splendor and I didn't want to lose the space just in case. Live and Learn. I won't ever put a deposit down unless I am 100% sure. I think it is wrong of them to this. I won't be sailing with them in the future.

Most of the cruise lines are charging a fee now.  Celebrity and Windstar come to mind just to name a couple.

One thing that may not have been brought up is that cancellation fees are different (more stringent) for the inaugural season of Splendor (as it was for Explorer).  Despite this, many Splendor itineraries are already full so if your don’t book, you may lose out.

Rachel, you mentioned airline fees..... we paid $800 to change flights when were snowed in a couple of months ago.  I truly cannot understand  being concerned about a $200 cancellation fee when it is applied to your next booking!

You're absolutely correct. What's $200 in the scheme of things, especially when for most people they will rebook something on the Regent. In our case we won't. It is a lot of money and it was a special occasion, but we felt that the amount of money spent for Regent really isn't for us. So we lost 200.00 in 1 week because I booked online and didn't realize that this was their policy. So live and learn. I would rather lose 200.00 than be out 25,000

10 hours ago, california and cruising said:

You're absolutely correct. What's $200 in the scheme of things, especially when for most people they will rebook something on the Regent. In our case we won't. It is a lot of money and it was a special occasion, but we felt that the amount of money spent for Regent really isn't for us. So we lost 200.00 in 1 week because I booked online and didn't realize that this was their policy. So live and learn. I would rather lose 200.00 than be out 25,000

I question the knowledge of your travel consultants.  You could have done research on the Regent website - learned what the excursions were, etc. before booking.  It does not cost a penny to do research (and it would have prevented you from losing $200).