Summit Revolution

Jim_Iain

Jim Lain

Thanks for starting this thread! Getting us excited for her post revolution maiden voyage March 25 from San Juan. 

Thinking about doing a mini "live from" with some updates and photos while on this cruise! Meanwhile keep the photos, videos and information coming! Your efforts are appreciated! 

Cheers! 

Ken

• Like 2

One thing I really hope they change on the Summit in the refit, but very much doubt they will, is getting rid of the fixed wooden window treatments they installed in the large round windows of the Tuscan Grille when they remodeled it last time.  Silliest thing I have ever seen....they completely blocked the view outside for the entire restaurant - in favour of only letting a crack of sunlight through the fixed slats.  Even the waiters in the restaurant thought it was stupid...especially since that is where they have the Captain's Club Elite Breakfast in the mornings.  I remember being docked in Bermuda at a window table and not being able to look outside to enjoy the view.  Strange.

Edited by Xcelsior

19 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

I know this is dumb but how do they get such a huge ship into drydock? I'd be afraid to walk underneath it.:classic_tongue:

In the Bahamas it is like an elevator.    The dry dock drops down and the locks are opened.  The ship is then position on blocks and then it raises like an elevator out of water.   

In Singapore it was more like a regular lock and the water is just pumped out.

• Like 2

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

In the Bahamas it is like an elevator.    The dry dock drops down and the locks are opened.  The ship is then position on blocks and then it raises like an elevator out of water.   

In Singapore it was more like a regular lock and the water is just pumped out.

Thanks! I'd love to watch this. Still have to think twice before I'd walk underneath. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

I know this is dumb but how do they get such a huge ship into drydock? I'd be afraid to walk underneath it.:classic_tongue:

Duct tape, bubble wrap, 2 staple guns and REALLY strong wrapping tape......

It's really a SPECTACULAR operation whereas the ship is precisely guided into into it's 270 degree "berth" and the door is closed behind it and the water drained out. Think of it as a Panama Canal Transit where the water is drained out of the lock but there just happens to be a "roasting rack" that will hold the ship as it settles into place.

Instructions:

1) Take large ship and gently guide into current wetdock.  Make sure you remembered to place the pan beforehand in the dock.

2) Carefully close door behind you making sure it doesn't leak

3) Drain water leaving ship resting on rack

4) Refurbish until done or slightly firm

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

It's really a SPECTACULAR operation whereas the ship is precisely guided into into it's 270 degree "berth" and the door is closed behind it and the water drained out. Think of it as a Panama Canal Transit where the water is drained out of the lock but there just happens to be a "roasting rack" that will hold the ship as it settles into place.

Instructions:

1) Take large ship and gently guide into current wetdock.  Make sure you remembered to place the pan beforehand in the dock.

Great description.   

In Bahamas it is slightly different and they don't use locks.   The elevator lifts the complete ship out of the water.

bahams.jpg.bf889512a41fbaef9d0f2eccc2e44f36.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Great description.   

In Bahamas it is slightly different and they don't use locks.   The elevator lifts the complete ship out of the water.

bahams.jpg.bf889512a41fbaef9d0f2eccc2e44f36.jpg

Crazy cool .... can’t imagine the stresses on the hull....

Sort of like me and new briefs... somethings gotta’ give!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Instructions:

Thanks for taking all that time to reply!

2 hours ago, Sphynxlady said:

A friend and I will be on Summit in two weeks, March 25 to 30. Hoping I will like the changes. Will also be on Silhouette January 31, 2020 for first cruise after revolution. Celebrity guinea pig.

I'll say!

We will be on Summit right after you. It's hard to tell due to the very, very few posts about Millenium what will be occuring post drydock in terms of ongoing updates, if any, and if they will seem obtrusive, but I guess that each of us will find out soon enough.

I'm looking forward to getting on board. :classic_smile: