Departure time

Sara250

Although you did not mention the Port or Airport , assuming they are close , hoping that you are not connecting anywhere , and that there will be no delays ,  you should make it .

Of course day before would be less stressful.

Better to fly in the day before departure especially since you have to make a connection in Dallas. Many Cruise Critic posters will tell you no problem making the ship but one late flight, mechanical problem, flight crew problem, etc and guess what, the ship will sail without you. Back in my early days I had no problem flying from Newark, New Jersey to either Fort Lauderdale or Miami for a same day cruise. I never missed a departure but now at sixty one years of age I make sure I am at the departure city at least a day or two early. Personally I would be so disappointed if I missed a ships departure. If you have to fly in day of see if you can get a nonstop flight from Wichita to Miami. Good luck!

We always fly in early - our cruises are usually European and we like to spend a few days pre cruise. As previously mentioned, a flight delay on the day of a cruise can cause a missed ship.

Edited by dogs4fun

With your connection, I would not do it.  You can go on the WEB and find the on time statistics for your flights which should help you decide.  Also, what airline.  

Also, remember that the arrival time is the time it arrives at the gate, not the time that you get off the plane.  In addition, how long will it take you to get to the luggage pickup and how long will it you to actually get your luggage.  Finally, consider what will happen if you get bad weather at either of your airports.

Get my drift.  I just can't figure out why people schedule such tight connections when traveling to a cruise.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Although many cruise pax successfully fly day of departure, as per many previous replies, our preference is to arrive at least 1 day early.

The OP noted requiring to be aboard 90 mins B4 departure; however, many cruise lines require 2 hrs before departure. In determining whether these are appropriate flights, I would definitely consider how many hours are available at Dallas between flights. At Dallas, if the first flight is late, do you have sufficient time to make the 2nd flight, and equally important, do they have time to get your hold luggage on the 2nd flight. Not fun making the cruise to find bags still in Dallas.

12 minutes ago, Sara250 said:

We have 2 hours between flights. We also plan on taking carry on. My husband thinks we will be ok but I’m just not sure.

Any sort of delay, you could miss the ship. I would be way to nervous to fly in the day of.

And if you miss the ship and don't have travel insurance, don't expect a refund either.

Edited by packer99
mistyped

I work in the airline industry.  This is not advisable.  All kinds of things are happening with the airlines.  There delays and cancellations are worse than ever.   I would advise you to fly in the day before.  

No. It's not worth what you might save by not needing a hotel. Some people never have a delayed flight and say you can do it, but think about how sad you'll be if your flight is delayed and hour and you cant get on your cruise. I'll never do it.

4 hours ago, Sara250 said:

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 12:30p and our ship is set to sail at 4:30. We need to be onboard the ship by 3. Do you think that is enough time?

Looking at your other post where you are flying from Wichita to DFW to MIA if you are on time into MIA you will have more than enough time to make the ship. It is only a 15 - 18 minute cab ride to the port. With an on time landing you can be to the ship by 1:30 - 1:45. Without an on time landing there is no telling if you make it or not

Way back when the cruise industry promoted Air/Sea packages , they almost always gave you same day air and it resulted in making cruises so popular .

There were more Direct and Non-stop flights instead of the Spoke & Hub system of connecting flights as now . There also was no TSA and less safety issues ,  above all not so many people flying to meet those small ships.

Fly day early.

Edited by MCC retired

Add me to the “fly in a day early” group. There is plenty to do in Miami and it gives you time to unwind and get into vacation mood before boarding the ship. No rush, no stress. Depending on the cruise line, you might be able to board early enough to have a bit of lunch, wander the ship, get unpacked, all before she sails.

Neal

At MIA I have stood waiting over 45 minutes for the first bag to come out from my flight.

Plus the time to get off the plane, plus walk to baggage claim, plus when your bag comes off, then walk out and get a taxi.

And what if one bag does not make it? You will be waiting until ALL the bags come off, then you have to do and file a claim for the missing one, after standing in line.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:57 AM, Sara250 said:

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 12:30p and our ship is set to sail at 4:30. We need to be onboard the ship by 3. Do you think that is enough time?

I guess it will have to be.

You will most probably make your cruise. The odds are likely to be better than 95 to one in your favor.

But ask yourself this: how would you feel if you missed it?  If I were betting a dollar, I would love those odds;  but when the stakes are really high (like missing the sailing) I am not so sure.

I always fly in the day before:  aside from making catching the ship a virtual sure thing, it is good to start a cruise well rested and not hassled from two flight boardings, grabbing luggage, etc.

On 3/6/2019 at 1:06 PM, Sara250 said:

We have 2 hours between flights. We also plan on taking carry on

It will cost us 600$ more and we really don’t have that kind of money. We also will only bring carry on and plan on getting an uber

Edited by Sara250

We flew from Seattle to Dallas to Miami a couple of years ago (I live in Miami was coming home from Alaska cruise.)  We were 6 people and we all had first class seats. Our connecting flight wait  was 1.5  hrs. Our flight into Dallas was running late as we sat on the tarmac waiting  and running very close to our connecting flight.  We actually ran to the gate  to try to board, but the door had closed 6 minutes before  and left the gate without us.  The next flight (we sat in coach center seats) was 45 minutes later.  So everything needs to be perfect to get to Miami on time. Especially with a connector.  A bit too close for me.  

Edited by Missymo

6 hours ago, Sara250 said:

It will cost us 600$ more and we really don’t have that kind of money. We also will only bring carry on and plan on getting an uber

On our next cruise, we have flights and transfers provided by the cruise line, but they plan on day of departure with a direct flight from Vancouver to LAX. We have zero risk, as if we miss the ship, the cruise line is responsible to put us in hotels for 8 days and fly us (business class) to a remote island in the S/Pacific.

Personally, we have zero desire to accept this risk and will happily spend 2 nights in a hotel (at our cost) to ensure we do not miss the ship.

While many pax fly day of departure, to save $600 after purchasing a cruise + onboard spend, how will you feel standing at the dock in Miami, watching the ship sail away on the cruise. While $600 is a fair bit of money, how much will you lose, if you miss the ship?

19 hours ago, Sara250 said:

I would just get a cab at MIA, it might be $5 more but there will be no wait at all as cabs are lined up waiting on you.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:58 AM, SRF said:

At MIA I have stood waiting over 45 minutes for the first bag to come out from my flight.

Plus the time to get off the plane, plus walk to baggage claim, plus when your bag comes off, then walk out and get a taxi.

And what if one bag does not make it? You will be waiting until ALL the bags come off, then you have to do and file a claim for the missing one, after standing in line.

The OP stated they are probably doing carry on luggage only.  They will have a walk from their landing gate to the taxi stand, that's it.

When I lived in NY, I probably flew in the morning of a cruise to MIA or FLL 35 times.or so.  I tried to book the 1st direct non stop flight from LGA or JFK that would land at maybe 10AM, also using carry on.  Never had a problem or issue.  Used to be unpacked and having lunch on the ship by noon.

Prob 75% of cruisers fly/drive in the day of a cruise, contrary to the CC gospel here about flying in a day or more earlier.

That said, a 12:35 arrival in Miami with a connection in between would not be the way I would book my flight.

Edited by evandbob

If you remain with your plan to fly in the same day, you need to work on your Plan B.  Which will kick in if you miss the ship.

1.  Will you go back home?

2.  Will you fly to next port to meet the ship?  And, is this possible.  You would need to obtain seats on another plane.  Some times that is not possible.  Do you have insurance that will cover the cost?  Even with insurance you will have to pay up front for everything and then submit the receipts to the insurance company.    And will you have to stay in a hotel while waiting for the ship to arrive?  That is another reservation you need to make right then. 

So, how do I know this?  We had also decided to fly in the same day. Our flight was cancelled due to broken steps.  Yea, I know did not seem like a safety of flight  problem, but the airline fiddled around and then after holding us for 4 hours cancelled the flight. We finally arrived at the Port at 5:00 PM and the ship sailed at 4:00 PM even tho we had contacted the Cruise Line and advised them of our problem with the airline.  We had to fly ahead of the ship and then wait for 3 days for it to arrive at the Port.  

Bob

• 1 month later...