Does anyone else NOT like Trivia?

OCruisers

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah I give most stuff away, still have a couple of luggage straps and tote bags, Mrs Gut kept a coffee mug, gave the other one away, then someone at school nicked it.

Likewise, give away the trinkets, kept the items of use for future trips.

34 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Like so much else on cruise ships, trivia has been watered down by cost cutting. I still have HAL “dam” coffee mugs from a number of ships, a Mag light, baseball caps, etc. — and recall when the person conducting the game could pronounce the questions.

I knew that would happen when the cruise lines stated recruiting Trivia hosts from North America.😉

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2019 at 7:45 PM, OCruisers said:

Wondering if we are the only ones who don't enjoy trivia?  :classic_unsure:

I'm ok with it but when I do play, I go in knowing I won't win.  I just play to see what I know.  More times than not, I've noticed it's people who are frequent cruisers or B2Bers on that particular line that seem to be the winners.  I won't call them cheaters but it's pretty obvious they've heard the questions/answers before.  

I'll watch Trivia for kicks, but I won't play.  It's the sociologist in me - I love to observe group behaviors 😉    Some people get so worked up over such a "trivial" thing and for such a "trivial" prize like a keychain.  But, to each her own.  I wonder - do teams "train" before the cruise?  Do teams write down all the questions to compile a master list to study before cruises?   Some seem so serious about the game.  

My workplace has quarterly trivia-type games to be sure that everyone is up to date on Forbes hotel standards and local hotel knowledge.  I hate it. I'm not high enough in the management food chain to be exempted.  So, I always throw the first question :classic_biggrin:    The kids I work with always say I know so much trivia, but I still don't want to play...  

Now, if the "prize" was a week off with pay, I may reconsider!!!

Edited by slidergirl

I wonder - do teams "train" before the cruise?  Do teams write down all the questions to compile a master list to study before cruises?   Some seem so serious about the game.  

Whenever I've played trivia, the other people on my team were strangers that I had just met, so there was no training ahead of time.  I always preferred it when we played on our own, not as teams, but that hardly ever happened.  Even though it never occurred to me to train, I guess you could say that I took it seriously, because one time, I got annoyed when I saw that the woman who insisted on filling out our answer sheet for our team wrote the answers on the wrong lines.  And she got annoyed at me when I insisted on correcting it.

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'll watch Trivia for kicks, but I won't play.  It's the sociologist in me - I love to observe group behaviors 😉    Some people get so worked up over such a "trivial" thing and for such a "trivial" prize like a keychain.  But, to each her own.  I wonder - do teams "train" before the cruise?  Do teams write down all the questions to compile a master list to study before cruises?   Some seem so serious about the game.  

I have seen teams do this and it pays off for them when they do B2Bs and get some (or all) of the same questions again.

• 1 month later...

I just returned from the May 26 sailing of the Celebrity Summit, and the incorrect answers to trivia questions keep on coming.

I learned that there was a movie called "James Bond."  I have never heard of this movie, and neither has wikipedia, but Bennie, the trivia hostess, insisted that there was such a movie.

Bennie also insisted that there was a TV series called "Charlie Brown."

Bennie also insisted that Madonna, who was born on August 16, 1958, is 59 years old.  If anyone guessed 60 years old, they were told that they were incorrect.

I like trivia for the social aspect. Winning is fun, but not everything. We actually started playing trivia accidentally. DH and I were playing Scrabble in the lounge when the trivia started. I always have plenty of time waiting for him to play a word. I wrote down the answers to the trivia questions on a blank piece of paper. We ended up winning. That got me hooked. On HAL, the culinary trivias are my favorite. The general ones not so much because they draw the crowd of argumentative people.

8 hours ago, Julie MacCoy said:

I just returned from the May 26 sailing of the Celebrity Summit, and the incorrect answers to trivia questions keep on coming.

I learned that there was a movie called "James Bond."  I have never heard of this movie, and neither has wikipedia, but Bennie, the trivia hostess, insisted that there was such a movie.

Bennie also insisted that there was a TV series called "Charlie Brown."

Bennie also insisted that Madonna, who was born on August 16, 1958, is 59 years old.  If anyone guessed 60 years old, they were told that they were incorrect.

Here's a wrong answer I was given. The question was what is the salary for an NFL cheerleader. And my correct answer is that each team sets their own so there is no such thing. But, they had a number written down.

The Charlie Brown and Snoopy show CBS 1983 to 1985

The Charlie Brown and Snoopy show was called "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show," not "Charlie Brown."  Since I would not say that there was a TV show called "Mork" or "Will" or "Ned" or "Shirley," I would not say that there was a TV show called "Charlie Brown."

Regarding the salary for an NFL cheerleader, I didn't know that the amount of money they get can even be called a salary.  AFAIK they get a small amount of money for practice sessions and performances at the games.  They can earn more money by making personal appearances, but those are governed by their teams, and all of the teams don't provide the same number of opportunities for them to make personal appearances.  Whatever number was written down was phony-baloney.

DH and I enjoy playing - EXCEPT when B2B cruisers or same ship numerous times cruisers - play just because they know all the answers...We did a cruise about a year ago and played a few times and noticed the same group was at every trivia session (winning every session too) finally about day 3 someone said  "man, you guys know a lot about a lot of different stuff'  - to which one guy replied "no, we just did this last week and know all the answers"

That didn't make it fun for the others...

Q1: Who does not like trivia?

Q2: Should ducks be hidden on cruise ships?

Q3: Does (insert cruise company here) nickel and dime”?

Q4: How many days until your next cruise?

Q5: Safe, safe, safe, safe?

Q5: Lanyards?

Q6: Early embarkation in Fort Lauderdale? Miami? Southampton? 

Q7: How to get to the port?

Q8: Tipping in Europe? Tipping in the U.S? Tipping onboard?

Q9: What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Q10: Something about when the Euro was adopted in Luxembourg.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Julie MacCoy said:

The Charlie Brown and Snoopy show was called "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show," not "Charlie Brown."  Since I would not say that there was a TV show called "Mork" or "Will" or "Ned" or "Shirley," I would not say that there was a TV show called "Charlie Brown."

Regarding the salary for an NFL cheerleader, I didn't know that the amount of money they get can even be called a salary.  AFAIK they get a small amount of money for practice sessions and performances at the games.  They can earn more money by making personal appearances, but those are governed by their teams, and all of the teams don't provide the same number of opportunities for them to make personal appearances.  Whatever number was written down was phony-baloney.

And when I told them that there was no set salary for NFL cheerleaders, the reply was it says there is here.

And one of them on the same cruise asked what his age was, and when I told a different one that, his reply was "that question is not in the book".

I think the "discussion" in this thread makes the strongest case why we now avoid cruise ship trivia.  The debate about everything from questions, answers, teams, cheating, etc. are reason enough to simply enjoy our person-to-person socialization and reading :).  We actually witnessed a team trivia game on HAL where teams began arguing (quite loudly) about how loud the volume should be for the sound system used by the questioner.   The poor assistant CD could do nothing but stand and listen.  He later confided to us that it was like listening to his grandparents (probably great grandparents) argue!

Hank

Let’s face one fact that for a 7 day cruise, there is a lot of time to kill and trivia helps kill some of that time that you don’t want to spend eating or sitting in a deck chair.

I’m usually not one for trivia but when you get a decent crowd and a good leader, it can be fun to kill 30 minutes to an hour

PS -  never won myself

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Let’s face one fact that for a 7 day cruise, there is a lot of time to kill and trivia helps kill some of that time that you don’t want to spend eating or sitting in a deck chair.

I’m usually not one for trivia but when you get a decent crowd and a good leader, it can be fun to kill 30 minutes to an hour

PS -  never won myself

If I felt that taking a cruise meant that I was frequently bored and had to kill a lot of time, I would think about taking a different kind of vacation!  I enjoy trivia, but I don’t think of it as killing time.  It’s a fun, social, activity.  I certainly don’t play for the prizes.  😁