so what time is it really? late TD

suec12

We will be on the Carribean Princess in Aug. for a N.E. / Canada cruise. I was thrilled to see TD offered at 7:15 (altho we are currently on wait list) but then I started reading how 7:15 might really be 7:45. I know on another Princess cruise we were early (this was several years ago) and 6pm turned into 5:30. I find this pretty annoying. We also did "anytime" on one cruise and were not very happy with how that went down. So anyways, recent cruisers, what time was late TD? altho it might change when the ship chnages from the Carrib. to the N.E.? If we get on the ship and are not happy with how the assigned dining is playing out, can we show up for anytime? Not interested in the buffet at night or the shows either but would prefer 7:15 to 7:45. Thanks!

PS - you probably wouldn't guess it from this post but I'm really not hard to please, but I do think if a time is set, it should be realistically noted.

• Like 1

On Majestic last week the late sitting was 7.30 and shows were 7.30 and 9.30. We didn’t like the 7.30 time. Too early for us. Prefer 8ish as it gives more time to get ready after port days and allows more time for pre-dinner drinks.

The Grand was 7:30 the last three years.  We keep with the 5:00 TD as anything past 7 is too late for my stomach.  We never eat in the MD when we are in port as we schedule those days for specialty dinning.  For Alaska we do eat in the MD when we leave Victoria as we have to be on the ship early  We like to eat in the Crab Shack when we sail to Alaska because it is so fresh.  

Once onboard if you are not happy with the times see the MD on embarkation day at the time/place listed in the Patter.

It is usually held in one of the DR's between 2p and 3:30p. 

He can take care if your request.

Best not to just show up for AT as you will be still listed in traditional if you do not see the MD.

7 hours ago, suec12 said:

We will be on the Carribean Princess in Aug. for a N.E. / Canada cruise. I was thrilled to see TD offered at 7:15 (altho we are currently on wait list) but then I started reading how 7:15 might really be 7:45. I know on another Princess cruise we were early (this was several years ago) and 6pm turned into 5:30. I find this pretty annoying. We also did "anytime" on one cruise and were not very happy with how that went down. So anyways, recent cruisers, what time was late TD? altho it might change when the ship chnages from the Carrib. to the N.E.? If we get on the ship and are not happy with how the assigned dining is playing out, can we show up for anytime? Not interested in the buffet at night or the shows either but would prefer 7:15 to 7:45. Thanks!

PS - you probably wouldn't guess it from this post but I'm really not hard to please, but I do think if a time is set, it should be realistically noted.

No.  You signed up for TD so stay in TD.  Don't ruin the AT dining experience for those of us who sign up for it just because you don't like the dining time.  If you have a problem w your TD dining time, eat at the buffet or at the poolside hamburger bar.  How would you like it if I wandered into the TD dining room whenever I wanted to, sat down at your assigned table and expected to be served.  

DON

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Sapphire Princess was 7:30 on board.

And from March 10 to today, it has been 5:30 early and 8 pm late on the Sapphire.  (Zero wait at any of the Anytime rooms, though).  

To the OP, it will be whatever the maitre d’ decides on that ship and that sailing.  Yes, it does vary, even on the same ship.  And if you don’t like the traditional timing, you can CHANGE onboard to Anytime, but you should not use both.

Edited by cherylandtk

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

No.  You signed up for TD so stay in TD.  Don't ruin the AT dining experience for those of us who sign up for it just because you don't like the dining time.  If you have a problem w your TD dining time, eat at the buffet or at the poolside hamburger bar.  How would you like it if I wandered into the TD dining room whenever I wanted to, sat down at your assigned table and expected to be served.  

DON

Alternatively, see the Maitre'd on embarkation afternoon and see if you can get your dining officially changed to anytime. 

On one 25 day European/TA cruise, after two days it quickly became evident that one of our group of 6 had issues doing the 8 pm late traditional dining.  I called the DINE line and they were happy to change us to anytime since they had a waiting list for late traditional. 

I usually book anytime dining...but I've had trouble getting a table on Princess in the past at my desired time (We usually like to eat around 7:00 pm)...

So, when booking my upcoming Emerald Princess cruise (coming up in less than two weeks now), I was happy to see them offering me traditional dining at 7:15...and took it...

But, 7:15 is really as late as I wast to go to dinner...If it turns out they change it to 7:30 or 7:45, I will NOT be happy--that is NOT what I signed up for...

Should I pre-empt the chance of an issue and change to Anytime?  Or wait and see when I board the ship?

• Like 1

Steve-my advice is to wait and see.  If the actual times for late dining don’t work for you it’s very easy to change to Anytime onboard.  Not so easy to go the other direction, though, so keep your place there until you know it won’t fit.

Steve - it sounds like our experiences and thought process are similar. When we did anytime on Ruby? it was difficult to be seated around 7 and  we were not given beepers - people were just standing in line - not my idea of dining. And also 7:15 is not 7:45 IMO - why give a time and not stick to it? I look forward to a relaxed meal in the evening - I don't want to go to the buffet! So please post back after your cruise or send me a message SueC1@aol.com - good luck and thanks!

OP: 7:15TD will be 7:45. Anyway it was on the Sapphire, Royal, and Star. Maitre D shifted it to 5:15 for me ..... I told the Head Waiter I'd be there by 6 on port & Fridays (services). I eat fast & preorder so not an issue.  But I'm doing AT on all future cruises

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

OP: 7:15TD will be 7:45.

"May be" not "will be."  On the Crown Christmas cruise, 7:15 TD was 7:15.  As with many things on Princess definitive answers vary from ship to ship and/or cruise to cruise.

So I'm going to ask a question re: my next 3 cruises:

With fixed dining times (TD) fluctuating between 4:30 - 5 - 5:15 - 5:30 (5pm published) and 7:15 - 7:30 - 7:45 - 8 (7:15 published), would you pick 5 (showing up at 5:30-6 -- latter delayed by Shabbat Services - hoping that the TRUE time isn't 5) or just bite the bullet for ANYTIME & hope for seating near 6?

Edited by Ombud

FYI:  On our recent March cruise on the Caribbean Princess, the TD late dining time was changed once on board.  Instead of 7:15 it was 7:45.  You can change to anytime dining by visiting the maitre d before sailing.  Also, there are reservations for anytime dining, except for the hours 6:30 through 7:30.  This is the most popular time and you will encounter lines.

They do warn us about traditional dining on the website:

Dining options, seating times, menus, locations, and venues may vary. We will do our best to accommodate your requested table size, although we cannot guarantee it.

We find it is easier to be flexible especially if we are traveling across many time zones.

The pictures of the cabins also can be misleading.  The ones for the Crown Princess Caribe deck show a barrel chair and a small balcony.  Oh well..

Edited by happy cruzer