Eclipse disappointing compared to other recent Celebrity sailings

phoenix_dream

We are elite members that have witnessed the slide in X standards over recent years.  We now board with "Low Expectations".

X is usually able to live up to that standard.

In January we had a lovely "sweet 16" cabin, beautiful weather for our 11 day cruise, and had a wonderful time.  We just don't expect much and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Our adjustment in expectations has gone a long way to raising our enjoyment.  The old X is gone, we needed to adjust

• Like 5

We sailed Eclipse 6 weeks in 2018 - February, April and October - 2 weeks each sailing. 

Fortunately we did not have any of these issues.  

We had booked the Chile to San Diego but moved over to April TA on reflection.  

Hoping all goes well for our sailing. No issues on silhouette this past February. 

• Thanks 1

We are on Eclipse now and so far everything is great!  So far not experiencing issues others have noted.  Will say that the MDR wine last night was not the best neither the Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay, though Chardonnay better, tonight will inquire more.  Food was excellent.... we both had the trout and both our desserts were wonderful!  Ate at Sushi on 5 first night, very good, great service.   Not noticed loud canned music.  Saw Rock City last night and loved it!  Moonlight Sounds dance band in Grand Foyer .... good, very mellow.  

Edited by QCAZ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We started sailing Celebrity back in 1994 and have sailed with them many times. To say the product has declined is an under statement. I know that they have to watch the bottom line so things have changed and not to the better. We have a cruise in a couple of weeks and we will be watching as this could be our last time. I know that recent cruisers have no way to compare how it used to be but "old timers" know and will not tolerate bad service and poor food.

• Like 1

Many of the complaints that the OP had are, in my opinion,  trivial.  Not having their favorite wine, not liking the brand of cocktail sauce, etc.  Some will never be satisfied.

Some people have to realize that this is not a luxury line, we do not pay luxury prices, and that has to be accepted for what it is.  Celebrity offers an excellent  product for what we pay and we will continue to cruise with them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Exactly our experience on Silhouette in June 2018.

Many people who had the premium beverage package complained that they were being served Preseco instead of champagne and some bars ran out of Budweiser. In fact when we didn’t go into St Petersburg due to windy conditions it was impossible to find Budweiser at any bar. It was a relief when we docked in Warnemunde and they were able to stock up.

I consider it a blessing when they do run out of Bud 😨

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Many of the complaints that the OP had are, in my opinion,  trivial.  Not having their favorite wine, not liking the brand of cocktail sauce, etc.  Some will never be satisfied.

Some people have to realize that this is not a luxury line, we do not pay luxury prices, and that has to be accepted for what it is.  Celebrity offers an excellent  product for what we pay and we will continue to cruise with them.  

Respectively disagree.  =X= markets itself as a luxury line (Modern Luxury), and based on non-RCI related fares, their prices have gotten extremely high.  Not having an acceptable premium Cabernet is unacceptable, watery cocktail sauce, yuch (I would have asked them to hand make some).  No breakfast syrup is not acceptable and I don't use it.

I think the OP's comments of issues that were not major, but combined, are enough to disappoint, and the fact that several others affirmed the comments serves to validate the issues.

• Like 4

Off the same cruise and I must say the food and service in Luminae were wonderful. The best in a while compared to other sailings. Our stateroom staff were also excellent. Didn't notice the other things you mentioned.

• Thanks 1

I agree so much with the OP.  It’s the “little things” that make the difference.  If my cocktail sauce is watered down ketchup one night and my French Toast has no syrup the next morning I’m going to be disappointed.  If I can’t get the adult beverage of my choice once or maybe twice it’s OK, but as has happened to us, it is not unusual on many sailings.  Now I’m going from disappointed to annoyed.  I planned for this trip and saved for this trip.  Could they plan a bit better?  Do they care to plan better?

As for the loud music, if you can’t talk to the person next to you or carry on a conversation, there is a problem.  A few months ago we were on Reflection and I had to go to Guest Relations. The DJ had arrived in the Atrium.  I had been speaking to the girl at the desk and had to start shouting.  When she spoke I COULD NOT hear her.  We had finished and between songs I asked why it had to be so loud.  She said that “they like the upbeat vibe through the ship”.  Really?   We have enjoyed Celebrity and we have lowered our expectations.  We have also begun to sail other lines. 

Phoenix_Dream - Thanks for posting this and pointing out the specific areas where you saw issues as opposed to most people who just generalize and don't give examples! We board the Eclipse in 30 days (can't wait!) and I hope that things are running smoother when we arrive. I'll definitely report back and follow up on the comments you made.

I don't think you comments are trivial at all. Just like you said, a few things here and there can be overlooked but when a bunch of small things continue to happen they add up. At the same time, when many small things go right, it's what makes us love Celebrity. Just as with any service, company, (or even companion for that matter) when we see them falter we get aggravated because we know they can do much better. As mentioned in previous postings by others and myself Celebrity has been monitoring Cruise Critic much more so hopefully your comments are being heard. 

Glad to hear you still enjoyed your sailing and thanks again for sharing your feedback! Maybe we will run into you around Chicago sometime. 

• Like 1

This thread just speaks to the inconsistency that celebrity has become know for.  We've experienced some of all of the issues mentioned, plus probably a few more....and then on our next cruise, it's wonderful.  As much as I find it hard to believe, I think the captain really has something to do with the entire attitude of the ship.  Our best cruises, for whatever reason, have been with personable captains who walk around the ship talking with folks, looking around.  The worst, captain's that essentially hide...and yes there are a few.  

It's obvious that Celebrity is trying to cut costs....it's really hard to run out of smoked salmon, etc....unless you order the absolute minimum you might need.  Similar on fresh vegetables like asparagus.  If you are in HQ and measured on cost savings, you order less....and if anyone complains, there's really no one in HQ that ever passes that complaint on...and the ship just covers as best they can.  In fairness, the sip gets whatever HQ ordered...they have no real control, so if they don't have salmon, they cover.  The cuts in liquor...ditto....don't carry more expensive bourbons, they just cost money...eat away at premium package profits.

Cruising today is not the same as cruising even 3 or 4 years ago.  We are experiencing the race to the bottom.....as long as the ships are full, I guess it's a great business model.  Irrespective, I still think that Celebrity is the best of the mass market cruise lines....but Princess is hard on Celebrity's heels.  At least we don't have pay toilets in the cabins..but it's coming.  Don't worry, there will be a toilet package offering 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, peter pan said:

As for the loud music, if you can’t talk to the person next to you or carry on a conversation, there is a problem.  A few months ago we were on Reflection and I had to go to Guest Relations. The DJ had arrived in the Atrium.  I had been speaking to the girl at the desk and had to start shouting.  When she spoke I COULD NOT hear her.  We had finished and between songs I asked why it had to be so loud.  She said that “they like the upbeat vibe through the ship”.  Really?  

We also found it absurd that they have loud music blasting away in the very area where passengers are trying to carry on conversations with the Guest Relations and Shore Excursion staffs.

The musicians themselves likely wear hearing protection.

We ourselves get to walk away after our brief shouting exchanges there.

But I really feel sorry for the people behind the desks who have to work there under those conditions, exposed to hearing damage for hours on end, day after day.

Kessar—I was also on this cruise. When I pay penthouse prices I expect a great cruise. I agree that this cruise was off in many areas.

I agree that the music was too loud in the atrium,  I agree that the food at Tuscan was fair with poor service. Luminae was outstanding in food and service. John in Michaels Club was excellent.My husband and I have been on a little over 100 cruises. We were on the Silhouette in February where everything ran perfectly. It usually starts at the top with a well run ship and trickles down to all departments. Celebrity needs to board this ship and fix various areas or passengers will start to go elsewhere.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I picked out two of your points that I particularly agree with!

I know, the point about going paperless is one of my pet peeves.  I hate hypocrisy in all its forms.  When they quit handing out the hard copy surveys for example (which I much prefer to their online ones which never ask you for input on how they can improve), their excuse (sorry, their reasoning) was to help save the seas by cutting down on paper.  And yet to this day on every cruise there is an envelope or two trying to get me to buy something almost every night when I get back to my stateroom.

6 hours ago, keesar said:

You are allowed to your opinion as I am to mine.  I would like to reply to your comments in one respect.  Taken alone, each and every one of my comments (well, perhaps most would be a more honest evaluation) may be trivial in and of themselves.  But when every time you turn around you encounter an experience that you know is less than other Celebrity ships and sailings then something is wrong.  I didn't even list half of the things I could have.  I knew someone would have to come back at me with the 'some will never be satisfied' comment, despite all the evidence I prevented to the contrary regarding how much I have enjoyed my previous sailings on Celebrity, including the multiple ones in the past 6 months.

Ok, I'll actually respond to two points, just to clarify one as I don't agree that this one was trivial.  It was not a point of not having our favorite wine.  It was a point of paying ALOT of money for the Premium Alcohol package and then getting offered only one choice of a Cabernet wine that is also available on the Classic package.  If you think having one Cabernet offering which was at the Classic package level, and nothing from the Premium package level is acceptable then we need to agree to disagree. 

• Like 1

Little things make the difference between avg and certainly Celebrity has changed (not always for the better) over the years. Celebrity trades on "modern luxury" and being without smoked salmon, lemons, a premium Cabernet may be "first world problems" however this IS about quality and a paid cruise. It is a lack of "modern luxury".

I will say on our last sailing the MDR food was not terrific at all...

ON another thread --there has been discussion about room stewards and staterooms not up to par. Lack of Clean bathrooms is sloppy and unsanitary. 

I realize the stewards work very very hard... and embarkation/disembarkation are the roughest days. That said-- I expect a clean stateroom. I would have been on the phone with the Hotel Director. 

I have wondered if they are pulling back on upkeep as the ships go through the revolution...

Edited by Fogfog

I so agree; details do make a difference, as prices to cruise on Celebrity should match most everything else onboard...IMHO!

Thank you phoenix_dream, for your review, as I think you stated your feelings very well and were not just complaining...you were disappointed in a product that you so enjoyed, but that just did not live up to prior cruises...there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.  I, like you, try to also explain my words and thinking to hopefully improve understanding... 

Edited by Lastdance

I worked in management the automotive industry and there was a word of wisdom.   It is easy to spot the large problems as they are apparent,  eg the main line broke and we have to send everyone home.  It is the little problem that make the difference,  are the hardest to find and what will cause the  biggest problems so if you can spot the small ones and correct it you will prevent the big one, eg if someone would have seen that welds were breaking  on the  mounting brackets it could have been prevented. 

What are some of the little things on X that make them stand out

The glass of bubbly on embarkation day.

The little reception area coming back to the ship that has water and a cold towel.  ( have you noticed that many other lines are now doing that)

The flowers from the CC host

The chocolate at night on the bed.  Every line does it and do you remember when X decided to stop doing it?

Occasionally the small cup of sherbet that they pass out in the Solarium.

Some other cruise lines offer pop corn during the movies.  It is a small thing and I am sure it is to generate beverage sales but many like it.  Can’t cost any more than any other snack.

I haven’t seen the wine and cheese concerts on the lawn recently.   It was a nice option.  We been to them for sail aways and a night under the stars.   It wasn’t  required to purchase any wine. Even better if you had a drink pack.  

The real cloth towels, and  attendant in the restrooms.

only one announcement per day over the PA.   Depending on the Captain it is a must listen to.  Especially when he says we are somewhere out in the ocean and hopefully headed in the right direction.  

I am sure that are a lot of other little things that really don’t amount to much but makes one cruise line stand out from the rest and when they start to eliminate some of those they are no better than the other lines.  

Every notice how happy your wife is when she receives a flower, ( especially the first dandelion that she gets from a son or daughter),  or some other small item from you?   It makes their day even though it doesn’t cost much in relation to everything else you do and provide, because all of that stuff is taken for granted as something you should do.     

It is the little things 

And yes the OP or I may be nit picking or trivial but it is the difference between a cruise and a great cruise.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

Currently on Eclipse, and can relate to some of the issues mentioned here.  We're leaning away from X moving forward, but I'll try my best to be objective as possible.  So far so good in Blu, and our cabin is in decent condition.  However:

1.  The wine has not been great, very cheap tasting Cab and Shiraz.  The Malbec was much better tasting.

2.  The crew seems less happy than previous X cruises, or any of our cruises for that matter.  Customer service is still great in general, and by the book polite, but not as much personality.  A few have been short, and I've heard multiple crew frustrated, reprimanding each other on the floor.

3.  Most of the food in the buffet is lukewarm and uninspired.  Fewer fresh cook stations, fewer options when doing so.  This is a major letdown from just 6 months ago on the Infinity.

4.  Internet connection comes and goes, but we haven't had the problems of the OP.  That may be normal, this is our first internet package, so I have nothing to compare.

5.  Future cruise desk forgot about my request to purchase an Open Passage Certificate with Azamara, from 2 days ago.  I tried again today, and it appears to have fallen through the cracks again.  They claim that no one ever asks for them, they're unfamiliar with the process, and will need to get in touch with their Azamara contact first.  I was told by an Azamara rep right here on CC, that booking a certificate onboard X, would be no problem.

1 hour ago, miched said:

I am sure that are a lot of other little things that really don’t amount to much but makes one cruise line stand out from the rest and when they start to eliminate some of those they are no better than the other lines.       

It is the little things 

And yes the OP or I may be nit picking or trivial but it is the difference between a cruise and a great cruise.  

Well said, miched.

I want to thank the OP and everyone who sailed the coastal, for providing their input.  After going back and reading through this thread, I see that it has not just been us.  I'm conscientious of a sour grapes mentality distorting reality, and want to give this sailing a fair shot.  The majority of this cruise is still good, but like the expression "nibbled to death by ducks", you can tell not all is right.  The blatant downgrade in the buffet, and being snubbed by the future cruise desk, are big ones.  If I hear nothing tomorrow, I will start contacting Azamara directly for help.

I would just rather see Celebrity drop the “modern Luxury “ line. We still like the product and find it value for money for us as long as we get the right cruise at the right price. We are however seasoned travellers after nearly 30 years together and have stayed at some high class establishments that may fit that statement, Celebrity however is not one of them these days.

1 hour ago, yorky said:

I would just rather see Celebrity drop the “modern Luxury “ line. We still like the product and find it value for money for us as long as we get the right cruise at the right price. We are however seasoned travellers after nearly 30 years together and have stayed at some high class establishments that may fit that statement, Celebrity however is not one of them these days.

The term "Modern Luxury" is a Celebrity branded saying.  It is not saying it is a luxury line in terms of travel site ratings.  Some cruisers apparently confuse the two.  We  also have stayed in true 5 Star resorts and there is a difference in food , service and amenities.  Some cruisers want to get a 5 Star cruise paying 3 Star cruise prices.  

There are some cruisers that just like to complain.  On our last cruise, one person was at the Customer Service Desk and wanted additional OBC because the ship left 30 minutes early.  Another was there complaining that their favorite Alaskan beer was not on board but this was a Caribbean cruise.   They mentioned that it is clearly stated in the drink  menu and that there are plenty of other  beer and wine choices.

1 hour ago, keesar said:

The term "Modern Luxury" is a Celebrity branded saying.  It is not saying it is a luxury line in terms of travel site ratings.  Some cruisers apparently confuse the two.  We  also have stayed in true 5 Star resorts and there is a difference in food , service and amenities.  Some cruisers want to get a 5 Star cruise paying 3 Star cruise prices.  

There are some cruisers that just like to complain.  On our last cruise, one person was at the Customer Service Desk and wanted additional OBC because the ship left 30 minutes early.  Another was there complaining that their favorite Alaskan beer was not on board but this was a Caribbean cruise.   They mentioned that it is clearly stated in the drink  menu and that there are plenty of other  beer and wine choices.

You see I would say to many people that’s exactly what it’s saying. If I stay at a hotel that describes itself as a “luxury hotel” I expect a “ Luxury Hotel”. Now I think it’s fair to say that the term is open to interpretation. I would also say with Edge they are paying 5 star prices at times, but that’s not the case with the other ships to a large degree. Don’t get me wrong some people are just a pain in the neck and want to find something to complain about, Injust think Celebrity are setting themselves up for a fall by still using the Luxury tag line when it’s clearly not.

• Like 1