"Debark" vs "Disembark" your Cruise Ship

SamTimeDining

Hey All,

Just a friendly Grammar FYI. When one uses the term "Debarking" a ship, this refers to goods or cargo. People disembark a ship, your luggage debarks. 

So:

Disembark or Disembarkation = People

Debark or Debarkation = Stuff

That is all for this very boring Sunday morning. 😄

Cheers!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SamTimeDining said:

"Hey All,

Just a friendly Grammar FYI. When one uses the term "Debarking" a ship, this refers to goods or cargo. People disembark a ship, your luggage debarks. 

So:

Cheers!!!

It is nice to see a grammar lesson from someone from the seat of illiteracy in CA.....Los Angeles :).  But you are wrong!  The definition of "debarkation" is "the act of passengers and crew getting off a ship or aircraft" according to numerous sources.   Websters Dictionary defines it as "to go ashore from a ship or boat."

I will admit that I prefer to use the word "disembarkation" but debark or debarkation also works fine.

Hank

P.S.  And yes, it is a quiet Sunday morning :).

Have never used or heard of "Debark" being used with cargo. As per the previous post, one of the 2 definitions is leaving an aircraft or ship.

When referring to removing  goods or cargo, the normal words used in the industry are discharging or unloading.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will admit that I prefer to use the word "disembarkation"...

With "disembarkation" no one thinks you are removing the bark from a log or the vocal cords from a dog.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whogo said:

With "disembarkation" no one thinks you are removing the bark from a log or the vocal cords from a dog.

whogo!....just beat me to it...that's exactly what I was thinking about....thank you...but I almost spilled my coffee laughing. 😄

3 hours ago, SamTimeDining said:

Hey All,

So:

Cheers!!!

...:classic_rolleyes:

3 hours ago, SamTimeDining said:

Hey All,

So:

Nope.  As already pointed out, your post is not accurate.  "Debark" refers to leaving a ship or aircraft.  It refers to both people and cargo. 

Both disembark and debark are proper terms.  They are 2 words that essentially mean the same thing.  The only difference is the origin of the words (Spanish vs. French vs Latin, etc). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Nope.  As already pointed out, your post is not accurate.  "Debark" refers to leaving a ship or aircraft.  It refers to both people and cargo. 

Both disembark and debark are proper terms.  They are 2 words that essentially mean the same thing.  The only difference is the origin of the words (Spanish vs. French vs Latin, etc). 

While both teams are correct, disembarkation is really a silly circumlocution:  embarkation means getting on board, while the prefix “dis” essentially means reversing or undoing.

It is arguably correct, because you really have to have gotten on board before you can talk about getting off.

However when you say disembarkation rather than debarkation you are choosing to say that you are undoing what you did when you got on board, rather than simply saying you are getting off.

37 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

While both teams are correct, disembarkation is really a silly circumlocution:  embarkation means getting on board, while the prefix “dis” essentially means reversing or undoing.

It is arguably correct, because you really have to have gotten on board before you can talk about getting off.

However when you say disembarkation rather than debarkation you are choosing to say that you are undoing what you did when you got on board, rather than simply saying you are getting off.

We'll  have to agree to disagree . Or should that be deagree? 🙄

Edited by mom says

From Merriam/Webster:

debark verb 

de·bark | \ di-ˈbärk  , dē-\
debarked; debarking; debarks

Definition of debark

: DISEMBARK

disembark

verb
dis·em·bark | \ ˌdis-əm-ˈbärk  \
disembarked; disembarking; disembarks

Definition of disembark

transitive verb

: to remove to shore from a ship

intransitive verb

1: to go ashore out of a ship
2: to get out of a vehicle or craft

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Another example of English sneaking up on other languages and mugging them, just sometimes they rob the same term from more than one language thus we get multiple ((correct) words to cover one thing.

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

To really stay within the context of the rabbit hole this thread has entered, I would hope that I could convince you to undisagree with me.

So do we Debark or Disembark a rabbit hole? 

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Either - but the key thing about rabbit holes is that people keep getting back into them.  They frequently undisembark, or for the terse,  undebark.  

Ah yes, rabbit holes are really black rabbit holes. 

And we all know you can't undebark or undisembark a black rabbit hole. 

6 hours ago, klfrodo said:

This whole thread was worthy of 1 or Max 2 responses.

However, someone always has to be more correct than others.

To OP, thanks for the attempt.

Perhaps, but thanks to the OP we learned an important lesson.  Whether humorous or serious, if your going to be pedantic, at least make sure you are correct! 🙂

7 hours ago, Aquahound said:

"Get off" works too.  Although, that can also have different meanings.  :classic_tongue:

I believe that is being discussed over on the RCI board.

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I feel like the teacher part of your username is showing....  reminds me of the late George Carlin's discussion about pre-boarding.

10 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I believe the correct phraseology is “removed kicking and screaming.”

Love it... LOL

Best solution book the next cruise.........

then you can smugly watch everybody else getting off, or some de or dis thing.

Cheers Don 

Edited by getting older slowly
spelling