Requested a wedge pillow and was denied

OddJob

I thought I had read that you could request a wedge pillow.  My folks are on the Grand to Alaska and sail at the end of the month.  Since my dad suffers at night and has made a custom bed platform I recommended they email Princess and request a wedge pillow.  They emailed Accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com and got the following reply:

Hello Mrs. Cruiser 😉

We look forward to hosting you!

A wedge pillow is not an item that Princess can provide. Once on board, you may contact your room steward if you require extra pillows for your bed to make your stay more comfortable. You are welcome to bring your own wedge pillow.

Edited by OddJob

That is fair enough. I don't think we can expect any cruise ship to carry the wide variety of pillows and bedding that MIGHT be requested by passengers. How many would they have to carry? If they had (for instance) 10 wedge pillows, they might need more than that on one cruise, then none on other cruises. Sorry - I cannot see that it is feasible.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That is fair enough. I don't think we can expect any cruise ship to carry the wide variety of pillows and bedding that MIGHT be requested by passengers. How many would they have to carry? If they had (for instance) 10 wedge pillows, they might need more than that on one cruise, then none on other cruises. Sorry - I cannot see that it is feasible.

Plus there are different sizes (angle) of wedge pillows.

Yep, I understand.  I just read on these boards that you could request them (even down to the details between 5" or 7" wedge) and what information you had to supply (booking number, date of sailing, etc)  and it was delivered to your room.  

Just thought I'd let everybody know that this isn't always the case.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OddJob said:

Yep, I understand.  I just read on these boards that you could request them (even down to the details between 5" or 7" wedge) and what information you had to supply (booking number, date of sailing, etc)  and it was delivered to your room.  

suites have "pillow menus" ... not sure if a wedge is on the menu ...

• Like 1

OP thanks for posting.   I guess now we know for sure that Princess doesn't offer wedge pillows.       OR maybe it could be ship specific so never a problem just asking when you get on board.   All they can do is say no.   Just thinking out loud but I wonder if the mattresses are flexible enough to prop up one end a bit.    

41 minutes ago, OddJob said:

I thought I had read that you could request a wedge pillow.  My folks are on the Grand to Alaska and sail at the end of the month.  Since my dad suffers at night and has made a custom bed platform I recommended they email Princess and request a wedge pillow.  They emailed Accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com and got the following reply:

Hello Mrs. Cruiser 😉

A wedge pillow is not an item that Princess can provide. Once on board, you may contact your room steward if you require extra pillows for your bed to make your stay more comfortable. You are welcome to bring your own wedge pillow.

How is your daddy going to deal with the standard bed?  Or is his custom bed platform portable, or can he make one that is?

Can he bring his own wedge pillow?

FWIW, I bring an inflatable air mattress so I can sleep on my balcony.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

He is just going to stuff some regular pillows under the mattress.  They thought the email from Princess was very kind.  They are super excited to be going on their first cruise!  

• Like 6

OddJob  I read to where the person asked for a wedge

pillow and got it. So you were right in asking to help your dad.

Guess other person was just lucky or had wrong cruise line when

posting about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I would suggest to simply take your own pillow.

That’s what I would and have done, and in the past have taken my own down pillows. Don’t have to do it as they have down pillows 

I received a memory foam contoured pillow one cruise when I requested additional pillows to build an little elevated platform (darn GERD).  Realized in subsequent cruises that it was not a standard item - I'm guessing someone left if from a prior cruise just like we would leave our memory foam mattress pads before they upgraded the beds.  Now I just request extra pillows that can be stacked, which seems to work.

Good for you for checking, so now they can make other arrangements without expectation of receiving something that isn't available.  They'll have a great cruise!

Edited by LoriPhil

5 hours ago, OddJob said:

Hello Mrs. Cruiser 😉

Just ask for one when you get onboard.

• Like 1

I have requested bed wedges that go under the mattress for our next cruise and it has been approved. Maybe the key is that I did not request a wedge pillow. We did the same thing for our past two cruises and they worked well. I imagine that they have a limited supply. 

Edited by Alaskanb

Or your Dad  can do what I do,  ask for a couple of extra blankets, roll them up tightly and place them under the mattress at the head of the bed. I have to sleep with my head elevated. Pillows work OK for a night or 2 but are not comfortable for longer times. 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:22 PM, OddJob said:

You do realize that probably half the answers given on this board are incorrect. People have a tendency to respond with the"I guess" answer.

• Princess must have a lot of extra blankets and love to give them out.   Many years ago we had a 4 week cruise and we booked the grand suite.  I walked into the bedroom and thought "what the hell".   The center of the bed was like a sunken lake.  I called and said we needed a new mattress because there was no way I would be able to get a good nights sleep.   Later in the day, the bed looked ok.  I lifted up the edge of the mattress and discovered three blankets under the mattress.   I could not believe my eyes.  The most expensive cabin on the ship and they thought it was ok to fix the mattress by putting blankets under it.