Products sold onboard shops

wildlifewarrier

I bought a wrist watch on board Majestic Princess last Dedember, it had a metal elasticated band  which I need due to arthritic fingers, and a nice easy to read face. It was not expensive around $35. I didnt wear it until early January and on the first wear the strap broke. I also noticed it ran slow. I took to a repairer and paid $ 15 to have the band repaired. The battery  replacement was $25, so all up I had spent more than the watch cost.

On contacting Princess customer service I was told I needed to send in the watch, along with the receipts for repair and the original for when bought. Unfortunately we could not find either the receipts or shipboard statements for the item.

I was told that the the ship had checked the copies of items bought on board and that I I had only paid $11 for the watch! I am sure there are no wristwatches for $11!  The customer services then offered me $25 as a ‘goodwill gesture’ which I refused as it was an insult. 

To add to the woes, the replacement battery made no difference, the watch still continued to be slow. So it would appear the watch was faulty from the beginning. 

The moral of the story is to be sure to keep receipts and copies of on board statements for anything bought on board the ships. 

Edited by wildlifewarrier
typing mistakes

Sorry if I sound overly critical, but you paid $35 for a watch from a shop on a cruise ship and are surprised that it turned out to be a load of junk.

I can understand buying booze or cigarettes so long as you know your shore prices, but I can't understand why people would buy watches and jewellery while on a cruise. Buy them on land where you will likely get a better price, better quality and have a wider range to choose from.

Yes, you should have taken the $25. You shouldn't let money insult you.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, wildlifewarrier said:

I was told that the the ship had checked the copies of items bought on board and that I I had only paid $11 for the watch! I am sure there are no wristwatches for $11! 

They usually have some for $10 on every cruise.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I’ve bought a couple of watches on cruises been happy every time but you need to know your product and prices.

We have also bought a couple of watches and also some jewellery (prior to Effy stores). The prices were either very good, good or OK.

I bought a watch onboard once, cheap as chips, but pretty.  Lasted 6 months, got my value out of it.  Be aware you have no real comeback, if spending big money buy from a reputable jeweller. On another note I bought a ‘Rolex” in Istanbul from the genuine fake watch company, paid €15, that was in 2014, still working fine, replaced battery once.  Some  of the “gold” is peeling off now. Lol.

Both of my $10 watches bought 3 years ago on Princess are still working even after my DH having to replace the 25 cent batteries.

He just received another order (10 pack) of ag1 batteries purchased online for $2.15 with free shipping included. 

They're great for wearing to the pool or beach.  

Back on our first cruise in 1990 hubby and I both bought Swatch watches. They were a fun souvenir and lasted many years, but they weren't really cheap. If I buy the stuff in shops I don't really expect it to be high quality, especially the inexpensive watches, although I understand why you are disappointed. I actually think Princess offering $25 was pretty generous.

I bought one of the $10 watches. It worked good, had it a couple of years. I used it for going ashore, that way if someone wanted to borrow it, no big deal. Well on the last cruise, the battery died. So it did a triple twist and a half gainer off the balcony somewhere if the Pacific. They had another $10 sale, so now have new shore watch.

On a recent RCCL sailing, the room steward accidentally broke the chain on a necklace I had bought my wife.  A ships officer took the chain to one of their on board shops to see if they could replace it.  They said they could not because our chain was real gold.  They generously gave us $350 on board credit.  We returned home and had the chain repaired for $20.  The jeweler said many people come in for repairs and find out the jewelry they bought on a ship was gold plated.

11 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I can't understand why people would buy watches and jewellery while on a cruise. Buy them on land where you will likely get a better price, better quality and have a wider range to choose from.

Well, sometimes the watches on display at the ship's store are pretty and are not easily found ashore!  I have bought watches for my wife on-board, and have been happy with the price and quality.

9 hours ago, Gwendy said:

On another note I bought a ‘Rolex” in Istanbul from the genuine fake watch company, paid €15, that was in 2014, still working fine, replaced battery once.  Some  of the “gold” is peeling off now. Lol.

Gwendy,

if it looks like this ROLEXXX it could be worth at least $20.00 now. 😳😁

Tony

5482AFC0-691C-478B-89CE-D2A6C53B7D85.jpeg

Edited by Lucky TGO

18 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Hey Capt. Tony- Do they sell these in the fine jewelry shop on the Rowboat, and if so, can you tell us about the return policy?

Thanks!

EDDY,

We sure do and your satisfaction is guaranteed. Nothing but the BEST on The Rowboat 😁.  This is the one I own myself.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

515B7F9F-E1A0-4B77-8386-AEE6EC508EB7.jpeg

Love the Submariner. Yours is prettier but this one is mine. I inherited it from a dear friend who died much too early. He always wanted a Rolex and when he inherited some cash went to a jewelry store in Sacramento and purchased this one. I even have the paperwork.

image.thumb.jpeg.9edae7a9b46c2b56950c449c74bd0811.jpeg

I remember a post by a person who had purchased several watches at the $10 watch sale and was really upset to find that the high tech watches she had purchased had a bunch of dummy buttons that did nothing at all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wildlifewarrier said:

I bought a wrist watch on board Majestic Princess last Dedember, it had a metal elasticated band  which I need due to arthritic fingers, and a nice easy to read face. It was not expensive around $35. I didnt wear it until early January and on the first wear the strap broke. I also noticed it ran slow. I took to a repairer and paid $ 15 to have the band repaired. The battery  replacement was $25, so all up I had spent more than the watch cost.

On contacting Princess customer service I was told I needed to send in the watch, along with the receipts for repair and the original for when bought. Unfortunately we could not find either the receipts or shipboard statements for the item.

I was told that the the ship had checked the copies of items bought on board and that I I had only paid $11 for the watch! I am sure there are no wristwatches for $11!  The customer services then offered me $25 as a ‘goodwill gesture’ which I refused as it was an insult. 

To add to the woes, the replacement battery made no difference, the watch still continued to be slow. So it would appear the watch was faulty from the beginning. 

The moral of the story is to be sure to keep receipts and copies of on board statements for anything bought on board the ships. 

The cheap watches sold on the balcony tables are junk. For a good watch go to the jewelry shop.

A year ago I bought two watches while on the Caribbean Princess. They were from the fine watch shop and were both Citizen Eco-Drive watches. I got them for my wife and my grand-daughter. The watches were on sale and I got an additional 10% off for being Elite. The best part is that I had a ton of ship board credit so I paid nothing for the watches!