Attire acceptable for formal night?

dchan865

I hope I don't get flamed, but curious with those going casual:  Were you on a Med. itinerary?  I ask, since I wonder if Carr/Alaska type might lean to a more casual atmosphere and acceptance of relaxed attire on formal nights.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I hope I don't get flamed, but curious with those going casual:  Were you on a Med. itinerary?  I ask, since I wonder if Carr/Alaska type might lean to a more casual atmosphere and acceptance of relaxed attire on formal nights.

I have been on cruises to AK, Mexican Riviera, Caribbean, Canada, South America (PE to LA around the horn), PC and BI.  Shortly I am doing the Baltic and Norway.  I have never worn a tie or coat rather dockers and the last few years a guayabera.  Before that I wore a button shirt long sleeved or short sleeved depending on the cruise location. 

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, chefchick said:

I really think the question continues to be asked because there are always new cruisers who want to know what the actual onboard policy is, and because Princess has always been inconsistant from ship to ship.  Obviously there are also two groups with two different ideas of what they want to wear in the main dining room, or lug to the ship in the first place.  And so the war goes on.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, julia said:

Absolutely no one, NO ONE will be giving "stares" in the dining room.  OP...  you will be fine.  Enjoy your cruise.

I agree.  If I was driving to port I would take a formal dress and really enjoy dressing for dinner every night.  There are limits due to flying or land tours before or after the cruise.

We are touring Alaska before the cruise and BC/Seattle after and we just can not take formal wear.  I am not going to miss dinner two night in the CC MDR because of this.

Bobbi 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

I really think the question continues to be asked because there are always new cruisers who want to know what the actual onboard policy is, and because Princess has always been inconsistant from ship to ship.  Obviously there are also two groups with two different ideas of what they want to wear in the main dining room, or lug to the ship in the first place.  And so the war goes on.

Agreed

9 hours ago, bobbismith said:

I agree.  If I was driving to port I would take a formal dress and really enjoy dressing for dinner every night.  There are limits due to flying or land tours before or after the cruise.

We are touring Alaska before the cruise and BC/Seattle after and we just can not take formal wear.  I am not going to miss dinner two night in the CC MDR because of this.

Bobbi 

I'll guarantee they allow you to eat in the DR on those two nights dressed casually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Is that a money back "guarantee" - full cruise reimbursement from 'you' ?

My term "guarantee" is loosely used and comes from many years of on board experience with Princess.

Perhaps I should have said assurance. 

21 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

If there is a deviation in what is allowed/declined on a ship, that cannot even be relied on as by the time the poster sails, the MD may have changed and the MD runs the dining rooms, so he will have his 2IC's acting per his instructions.

ok, on Alaska cruisetours, I'm sure jeans ( real blue denim ... not black ) are perfectly OK for all nights at the lodge(s)

but on the ship part, are jeans acceptable to the M'D in the mdr even on 'formal' nights ... trying to leave the khaki's at home ... the shirt would definitely be long-sleeve and a brownish tweed jacket at the lodges and maybe even on board the ship ...

For women:

I wear a solid navy dress with a sheer shrug. On several cruises I have noticed women wearing the capelet sold onboard with solid top / pants. Only in Japan do they wear satin or sequins but then I've only cruised SE Asia, Australia, Europe, South America, & USA .... not Caribbean so it could be different there. 

• Like 1

Just returned from the May 19 Star Princess cruise to Alaska. Dress of any kind was acceptable from totally casual to formal. Very few formal. Unless you specifically want to dress formal don't waste the space.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JMann404 said:

Just returned from the May 19 Star Princess cruise to Alaska. Dress of any kind was acceptable from totally casual to formal. Very few formal. Unless you specifically want to dress formal don't waste the space.

And that's how it's been for the past 10 + years on Princess. They're the only cruise line besides Cunard that hasn't officially relaxed their dress code.

We learned long ago to leave the more formal clothing at home (even though we drive to the port in Fl) & just relax on our vacation, even in the DR on formal nights. 

It seems almost silly to dress up for the few hours just to eat dinner and then change. 

They leave it up to the individuals to choose for themselves. 

• Like 1

We are on the Emerald Princess at the moment and I was amazed at the standard of formal attire at last night's formal night! There were way more tuxedos and gorgeous dresses than I can remember seeing on previous cruises.  My partner only wore a nice black shirt and black dress pants - no problem at all and he certainly looked well dressed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

We are on the Emerald Princess at the moment and I was amazed at the standard of formal attire at last night's formal night! There were way more tuxedos and gorgeous dresses than I can remember seeing on previous cruises.  My partner only wore a nice black shirt and black dress pants - no problem at all and he certainly looked well dressed.

Thanks for your real time observations. Maybe there is a difference between Corfu and Skagway?

18 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Our friend sailed on four CROWN voyages in Caribbean this past winter and mentioned there were more men in at least jacket/tie if not suit/tux than they recalled previously.  Interesting for Caribbean.  But if I was flying down to FLL and back for a 10-nighter, I'd probably bring a jacket as I have in the past - I wear it onto the plane.

• Like 2

At the risk of angering some, I will tell you how we dress:  I wear a nice long gown with nice jewelry and my hair up.  My wife, who is "Butch" will wear a nice white shirt (she has two and one is a "tux" shirt, black pants and nice leather shoes.  If it's chilly, she will wear a jacket but that's only 50% of the time.  We both look very nice and we've never gotten "stares" or been asked to leave the MDR.  I think, if you make an effort to dress up - to what ever your degree of dress up is - you will be fine!  enjoy your cruise!!!

• Like 4

Oh no! We are packing lighter and lighter and our summer trip will be the lightest to date! We will each have the barest amount of clothing and no possibility that hubby will be toting a jacket or suit. I can always squeeze in a dress and sandals but his dress shoes alone take up half a bag!

• Like 2