Attire acceptable for formal night?

dchan865

On 5/20/2019 at 9:05 AM, lindafromns said:

We are on the Royal Princess and last night was the first formal night. My husband wore nice jeans and a nice button down striped shirt. He couldn’t find the tie he packed and we don’t do jackets. It was no problem at all. I even saw a man in the dining room with a completely casual T-shirt. 

Most dress quite nicely but nothing special is required. 

So, wearing  jeans (Levi’s, Wrangler’s) is considered OK to wear in the MDR on Formal Nights?   Good to know.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 9:15 AM, denmarks said:

Glad to hear this. I may not bring my jacket. It has been 4 years since my last cruise.

My husband usually brings a jacket when we drive to the port.  Next cruise  we’ll be flying to the East coast, so I don’t think he’ll take one.  A nice shirt, tie and slacks.

9 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

At the risk of angering some, I will tell you how we dress:  I wear a nice long gown with nice jewelry and my hair up.  My wife, who is "Butch" will wear a nice white shirt (she has two and one is a "tux" shirt, black pants and nice leather shoes.  If it's chilly, she will wear a jacket but that's only 50% of the time.  We both look very nice and we've never gotten "stares" or been asked to leave the MDR.  I think, if you make an effort to dress up - to what ever your degree of dress up is - you will be fine!  enjoy your cruise!!!

Can’t think  of a reason in the world why you would anger anyone. 

As long as you are both comfortable, go for it!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

So, wearing  jeans (Levi’s, Wrangler’s) is considered OK to wear in the MDR on Formal Nights?   Good to know.

Yes. Nice looking jeans with a nice shirt are completely acceptable though many prefer to dress up more. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 8:51 AM, dchan865 said:

Hey everyone,  just a quick question, its been almost 12 years since I cruised on Princess so not sure how strict/flexible they are now in 2019 with attire.  Is long sleeve dress shirt(light blue, white, ) with slack, no tie and sport jacket still good for formal night dining?  We  want to travel as light as possible during our travel on the upcoming British Isle cruise on the Regal Princess.

Thanks!

On 5/21/2019 at 7:43 AM, c-boy said:

where ?

I say pack as light as you dare.   Treat your cruising how you will.  Visit the theater only when you have nothing to read.  Go ashore only when the weather is absolutely perfect.  Think this way and be assured your cruise may end up being nothing special.  Plan on the voyage of your life, and it may become a form of travel that draws you back time and again.  If your daily life is what you want to leave behind for 15 days, and this is your first time to wonderful Hawaii, then leave the yard clothes at home, promise yourself you plan to live openly and fully, wear something classy for dinner, amd suck in the sea air.  Be alive with smiles and greetings, and make some friends who you might have no interest in back home.  

On 5/20/2019 at 8:58 AM, denmarks said:

This is what Princess says.

Cruises five days or longer include at least one formal dining night: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men.

You can always go to the buffet on formal nights. Just remember that many in the dining room on formal nights may give you stares if you are not dressed up but I doubt that you would be kept out.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Go for it if you think jeans are dressy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nooptere said:

"Just remember that many in the dining room on formal nights may give you stares if you are not dressed up"

Yikes....This is creepy.

That would be creepy.  Never understand why someone would care what someone else is wearing.  I don't.  Wear what's comfortable.  It won't affect my meal one bite.

5 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Is Pacific Princess in Alaska more or less dressy than other bigger ships?   

With 100+ days on the Pacific I can say it will be more dressy.  You will find a higher percentage of elites and passengers much more travelled that most PCL ships. 

The Pacific, in general, is a more expensive from a fare perspective compared to larger Princess ships and this impacts the passenger composition. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Crystal04 said:

They let me into the MDR with jeans, t-shirt, and flip flops on formal nights. 

What cruise, ship and itinerary was this on?   I was on the CB in the Caribbean last November and they were allowing jeans on formal night and shorts other nights.  New policy?

17 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

With 100+ days on the Pacific I can say it will be more dressy.  You will find a higher percentage of elites and passengers much more travelled that most PCL ships. 

The Pacific, in general, is a more expensive from a fare perspective compared to larger Princess ships and this impacts the passenger composition. 

Thank you!  Another novice question, on a 12 day Alaska cruise how many formal nights are likely to be there?  

38 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

What cruise, ship and itinerary was this on?   I was on the CB in the Caribbean last November and they were allowing jeans on formal night and shorts other nights.  New policy?

I have done this on several cruise ships in the Caribbean: Regal, Royal, Caribbean, and Crown.  It's not a new policy.

1 hour ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Darn it, that's a lot!   Hubs will have to pack 3 pieces of ties so he can look different.  🤣

Why, no one will remember or care what he wore for the last one. All those ties, all that extra weight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, satxdiver said:

For some reason that particular ship was much more lenient that most of the other Princess ships. 

My DH did enjoy the shorts policy in the DR at night.  

He was very comfortable and it didn't seem to bother anyone. Many of the guys took advantage of the relaxed dress code. 

On 5/29/2019 at 5:40 AM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Levi or Wrangler jeans in anybody's mind is suitable dress for Formal nights. Princess state dress for Formal evenings is-

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Nowhere in that statement does it say jeans whether they be Levi's, Wrangler's or any other designer jeans are acceptable on formal evenings and personal pride wouldnt allow me to wear them on such occasion.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Levi or Wrangler jeans in anybody's mind is suitable dress for Formal nights. Princess state dress for Formal evenings is-

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Nowhere in that statement does it say jeans whether they be Levi's, Wrangler's or any other designer jeans are acceptable on formal evenings and personal pride wouldnt allow me to wear them on such occasion.

And no where does it say they are not.

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

And no where does it say they are not.

Perhaps not but jeans in anybodies right mind can be classified as formal wear. Doesnt say a lot of things on Princess website but that wouldnt make it right or acceptable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Perhaps not but jeans in anybodies right mind can be classified as formal wear. Doesnt say a lot of things on Princess website but that wouldnt make it right or acceptable.

so, going there ... by the PRINCESS definition of what to wear on FORMAL night in the mdr

for ladies - NO PANTS AND SPARKLY TOPS  - that is not formal wear, correct !!

INCOMING ..................................

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Nor would it make it unacceptable or wrong.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

so, going there ... by the PRINCESS definition of what to wear on FORMAL night in the mdr

for ladies - NO PANTS AND SPARKLY TOPS  - that is not formal wear, correct !!

INCOMING ..................................

Sorry but the women can wear just about ANYTHING they please & enter the DR. 

This was explained to me by a Head waiter very plainly last cruise when my DH questioned why women were allowed to wear shorts on a casual evening & the men weren't.