Ever have awful Table mates?

5 hours ago, julie3fan said:

I wondered the same thing!  I've cruised just over 200 days total, and I can say we've never encountered any of the subjects K32682 keeps referring to.  There might have been one or two overly proud grandma's, but hearing a little bit about little Johnny didn't incite rage. 🙂

I suspect the gentlemen simply sits down looking for a fight - I do not recall encountering many of the problems which he references. Could it be that his crusading attitude actually triggers the response that he is determined to stamp out?

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suspect the gentlemen simply sits down looking for a fight - I do not recall encountering many of the problems which he references. Could it be that his crusading attitude actually triggers the response that he is determined to stamp out?

Or maybe fake news?

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

I've been on two river cruises and always had a good time with people at those large tables.  But you're right.  If you prefer to be alone, then Viking river cruises may not be right for you.

If that is all that is offered, I'll take it.  I've dined at communal tables at restaurants and at some resorts.  But, if I am given a preference, I prefer dining solo.   People will just hear about my interactions with Harvey Weinstein, knowing Beck Bennett (the guy on Saturday Night Live who plays Trump's lover, "Vlad" Putin), celebrities behaving badly, celebrities behaving well, my Olympics experiences...  Whatever they want to talk about, I have stories to tell.

Edited by slidergirl

37 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

If that is all that is offered, I'll take it.  I've dined at communal tables at restaurants and at some resorts.  But, if I am given a preference, I prefer dining solo.   People will just hear about my interactions with Harvey Weinstein, knowing Beck Bennett (the guy on Saturday Night Live who plays Trump's lover, "Vlad" Putin), celebrities behaving badly, celebrities behaving well, my Olympics experiences...  Whatever they want to talk about, I have stories to tell.

I really like that you are flexible about sharing tables.  Would love to hear those stories.

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

I really like that you are flexible about sharing tables.  Would love to hear those stories.

If I wasn't flexible when there is no option, I'd be eating spoons of peanut butter and handfuls of almonds that I bring...

Last communal table was at Sostanza in Florence, Italy.  Tiny place.  You either have a party large enough to take the entire table or you get seated with others.   I ended up at a 4-top with a mom, dad and daughter.  They were from the US, but were dropping off their daughter for a semester at college in Florence.  All we talked about was how good our food was..

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

If I wasn't flexible when there is no option, I'd be eating spoons of peanut butter and handfuls of almonds that I bring...

Last communal table was at Sostanza in Florence, Italy.  Tiny place.  You either have a party large enough to take the entire table or you get seated with others.   I ended up at a 4-top with a mom, dad and daughter.  They were from the US, but were dropping off their daughter for a semester at college in Florence.  All we talked about was how good our food was..

What a wonderful topic, especially if you all agree it was wonderful. LOL

I sailed solo on back-to-back cruises last month. I had great tablemates on the first cruise and flaky ones the second. They were pleasant but did not show up two nights, leaving me alone at a table for six. We had two nights of anytime dining due to the itinerary, and I had the top 40 event another night.  I had the courtesy to let them know I would not be there.  One couple did have an illness, so they're excused. The other just didn't think to let anyone know even when i saw them earlier that day around the ship. I'm not sure what happened to the other solo traveler.  I decided to go anytime if I sail solo again. 

Edited by geoherb

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

What a wonderful topic, especially if you all agree it was wonderful. LOL

Oh, it was wonderful!   The Butter Chicken, the artichoke omelette, sautéed greens, even the basic fagioli e olio side was sooo good.  Worth the effort it takes to get the reservation!!  

43 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I sailed solo on back-to-back cruises last month. I had great tablemates on the first cruise and flaky ones the second. They were pleasant but did not show up two nights, leaving me alone at a table for six. We had two nights of anytime dining due to the itinerary, and I had the top 40 event another night.  I had the courtesy to let them know I would not be there.  One couple did have an illness, so they're excused. The other just didn't think to let anyone know even when i saw them earlier that day around the ship. I'm not sure what happened to the other solo traveler.  I decided to go anytime if I sail solo again. 

I would never think I should inform the rest of the table that I have other plans.  But I have been on cruises were tables are not the same every night.

I will never share a table on a cruise again.  I did the first two times when I sailed alone.  That was more than enough for me.  I don't like long dinners, but I also won't eat dinner on the Lido.  When I cruised with my late husband we always did Anytime Dining on Carnival and got a two-top.  Several times he didn't join me, and I ate alone.  Much better than being stuck at an 8-top with all real estate agents and insurance salesmen.  Yes, that did happen one night.  Now, I cruise with a friend and we can talk all about the diving we're doing on a cruise and don't have to discuss politics, religion, or your grandchildren.  I especially don't want to see photos of them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I would never think I should inform the rest of the table that I have other plans.  

By letting your table mates know you'll be dining elsewhere, it means they don't have to needlessly delay ordering their meals.  

We've often waited half an hour before ordering while waiting table mates.  This complicates things for the table steward as well.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Laurie S. said:

I will never share a table on a cruise again.  I did the first two times when I sailed alone.  That was more than enough for me.  I don't like long dinners, but I also won't eat dinner on the Lido.  When I cruised with my late husband we always did Anytime Dining on Carnival and got a two-top.  Several times he didn't join me, and I ate alone.  Much better than being stuck at an 8-top with all real estate agents and insurance salesmen.  Yes, that did happen one night.  Now, I cruise with a friend and we can talk all about the diving we're doing on a cruise and don't have to discuss politics, religion, or your grandchildren.  I especially don't want to see photos of them!

I have posted many times, here on Cruise Critic, that one of the best things about cruising is that everybody gets to customize their experience to their own satisfaction.

Laurie, I think it is awesome that you plan to continue cruising on your own terms.

👍👍👍

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

By letting your table mates know you'll be dining elsewhere, it means they don't have to needlessly delay ordering their meals.  

We've often waited half an hour before ordering while waiting table mates.  This complicates things for the table steward as well.

Ruth

Why would you delay ordering? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Ruth

They don't have to delay ordering their meal, they can order it at any time they want.

40 minutes ago, K32682 said:

9 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

They don't have to delay ordering their meal, they can order it at any time they want.

Servers tend to want to wait until everyone is present so all orders are taken at the same time.  It’s also courteous for table mates to wait - a reasonable time, of course.  If table mates don’t know you’re not coming, they don’t know not to wait.     

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, K32682 said:

17 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Out of courtesy (which I imagine some would debate why) we wait for the entire table to order at the same time.  Makes the table feel (at least to us) more civil and *connected*, and makes it easier for the wait staff.  Plus the wait staff usually waits for the table to fill before telling the recommended dishes and taking orders anyways.

If one knows ahead of time, it surely wouldn't hurt to let the table know you're not going to be there.  Of course, last minute issues do arise for some, and I wouldn't expect someone to break their back to tell the table, but it does tend to leave them hanging for 10 minutes (or more) just in case they're running a bit late.

JMHO, of course.  An opinion shared by many, who I would undoubtedly enjoy sharing a table with.

Edited by julie3fan
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Common courtesy?

After the first night's "Where are you from?" the people with whom you're sharing a table shouldn't be treated as strangers.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Out of courtesy (which I imagine some would debate why) we wait for the entire table to order at the same time.  Makes the table feel (at least to us) more civil and *connected*,

31 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Common courtesy?

After the first night's "Where are you from?" the people with whom you're sharing a table shouldn't be treated as strangers.

Thank you.  You've assured me I am not the only person who was raised to do this 🙂  

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

A courteous person wouldn’t have to ask that question. 

Completely disagree.  Courtesy is for everyone not just for people who can't be bothered to show up.

• Like 1