Ever have awful Table mates?

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

The thought of carting an extra suitcase around is just too much to bear. Especially when my wife's case will already weigh more than two overgrown hippos.

As well as her ridiculous need for hand luggage. 

The formal wear is getting left at the formal wear shop. 

Going on holiday is meant to fun

It's a burden, but hey, at least I left the case of wine at home this time!

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

The thought of carting an extra suitcase around is just too much to bear. Especially when my wife's case will already weigh more than two overgrown hippos.

As well as her ridiculous need for hand luggage. 

The formal wear is getting left at the formal wear shop. 

Going on holiday is meant to fun

Of course you should do what is comfortable for you, within the ship's  guidelines of course. But unless you are doing an extended land trip either before or after your cruise, involving multiple location changes, just how arduous is another suitcase? I'm assuming your larger  luggage pieces have wheels, of course. How much "carting around" will you be doing? And why would your wife's  need for hand luggage be ridiculous? That seems very presumptuous and intolerant.

We are 2 seniors (and I use a cane). Yet we easily manage (for longer cruises) 3 checked bags, 2 carryons, and a purse between the 2 of us. We use a luggage scale to ensure none are overweight. Almost without fail DHs bag is heavier than mine (I blame the shoes). And while we now leave the tux and gowns at home DH will still pack a blazer and grey flannels, shirt, tie and dress shoes and I will have a couple of dressy coordinates plus heels and evening bag. These all fit in one medium size bag.

We still find going on holiday to be fun. But as Capt Obvious says- "you do you".

ETA: Aren't you the same person who didn't want to "allow" his wife to pack a hair dryer because it took up too much suitcase room?

Edited by mom says

On 6/29/2019 at 1:55 AM, babs135 said:

Following on the discussion of how much did you pay for this cruise.  We had only just boarded our ship and were still getting our bearings when a woman came rushing up to us, paused and said 'how much did you pay, I only paid xxxx, got a fantastic deal' and then she was gone (never to be seen again!), leaving us both slightly shell shocked.

What was frustrating was although we thought we had got a fantastic deal, she had paid even less !!!!!

There is always someone saying they got a terrific deal.  I just don't always believe them!

40 minutes ago, pjwaz said:

There is always someone saying they got a terrific deal.  I just don't always believe them!

I only paid $50,000 for my last 7 day Caribbean cruise.  I can't believe the suckers who paid more!  🙂

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

And where do you fellas find the room in your cases for these dress shoes and suits?

Easy enough to do but yes, it takes more room. There are you tube videos that show how to pack suits and such to maintain wrinkle free clothes.

6 hours ago, Underwatr said:

It depends on the line, in my experience.

On Cunard, where a jacket is expect of men every night, I pack the complete set of formal wear. On HAL, where "Gala Night" (note that lines no longer use "formal") is more of a suggestion and in practice the passengers appear in anything from a nice collared shirt to full tuxedo, I default more to a blue blazer and tie with khaki trousers - essentially what I'd wear on a non-Gala night on Cunard. It's not full-on formal but it's comfortably among the norm of what other passengers are wearing.

Yes, that is pretty much how I go as well.

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Sorry.  I meant to post this link.

The important aspect of this and similar links from the cruise lines are the exclusions. 

"T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. "

Does a diner at a shared table who is dressed to the bare minimums on formal night or even below but is allowed in by the maitre d fall into the category of awful table mate? 

43 minutes ago, K32682 said:

The important aspect of this and similar links from the cruise lines are the exclusions. 

"T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. "

Does a diner at a shared table who is dressed to the bare minimums on formal night or even below but is allowed in by the maitre d fall into the category of awful table mate? 

Of course not -  as long as they meet the dress requirements, they meet the dress  requirements. 

Then, of course, a perfectly dressed loudmouth who acts like an arrogant ass IS an arrogant ass and would fall into the category of awful table mate.

• Like 3

Just three weeks ago whilst in the Med with Celebrity, I witnessed a fella wearing a Tuxedo, will have been in his 60's, and nobody chose to tell him his trousers were ridiculously long, nor tht his brown shoes didnt match his black suit.

He looked far more ridiculous than the next fella that went into the restaurant wearing jeans and T Shirt. Yet I bet only one was met with rolling eyes.

Standards eh?

These dress rules sound almost as daft as my local golf clubs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Just three weeks ago whilst in the Med with Celebrity, I witnessed a fella wearing a Tuxedo, will have been in his 60's, and nobody chose to tell him his trousers were ridiculously long, nor tht his brown shoes didnt match his black suit.

He looked far more ridiculous than the next fella that went into the restaurant wearing jeans and T Shirt. Yet I bet only one was met with rolling eyes.

Standards eh?

These dress rules sound almost as daft as my local golf clubs.

Might have hired the tux but supplied his own shoes.

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

He must have hired the trousers without checking the size😁

yeah, it can happen with hiring tuxes, one reason I bought one around ten years ago for the formal nights. Had an ill fitted hire suit on an Alaskan cruise, vowed never again.

The other thing about tuxedos or rather the bow tie that goes with them is, arent they just utterly uncomfortable when you are meant to be relaxing and enjoying yourself? I feel like I am choking just looking at someone wearing one.

And I suppose the fact I wear a suit every day to work, means I would rail against wearing one on holiday.

I think your shirt may be the wrong size then if you are being chocked. 

As for not wanting to wear a suit when on holidays because you do at work. Does that apply to other things like underpants, socks, shoes, etc?  what about eating or drinking? there must be many things that you do at work that you still do when on holidays.😋

In any case, lucky there are many lines now that do not do formal nights any more.😁

I never wear underwear. There is no point.

Similarly there is no point in a tuxedo.

But your right. Cruise firms appear to be modernizing. Thankfully.

I think they realise they need new and younger clientele 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I never wear underwear. There is no point.

Similarly there is no point in a tuxedo.

But your right. Cruise firms appear to be modernizing. Thankfully.

I think they realise they need new and younger clientele 

What you save on washing powder can go towards cruising.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think your shirt may be the wrong size then if you are being chocked. 

As for not wanting to wear a suit when on holidays because you do at work. Does that apply to other things like underpants, socks, shoes, etc?  what about eating or drinking? there must be many things that you do at work that you still do when on holidays.😋

In any case, lucky there are many lines now that do not do formal nights any more.😁

I don't feel comfortable in suits or tuxedos.  It isn't a matter of fit, I just don't want to wear them so they feel uncomfortable.  Since I retired, I've given away all my suits and sports jackets.  I own very few slacks, mostly cargo pants.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

lots of categories can qualify for the awful table mate.

It does seem so.  The categories so far are people who: 

• Talk about religion
  • Talk about politics
  • Are bigots and racists
  • Don't tolerate bigots or racists
  • Ask what you paid for the cruise
  • Brag about how little they paid
  • Boast about their grand kids
  • Discuss their medical conditions
  • Ask questions about your medical conditions
  • Ask intrusive and personal questions
  • Talk about how much money they have
  • Eat too slowly.
  • Eat too quickly
  • Are critical of people who eat too quickly. 
  • Check blood sugar at the table
  • Inject insulin at the table.
  • Arrive late
  • Don't show up at all
  • Talk too much
  • Talk to little
  • Talk to their partner/spouse in another language
  • Drink too much
  • Don't drink
  • Don't drink and ask others at the table to the same
  • Make multiple orders but don't eat all the food
  • Are picky eaters who send food back
  • Are critical of your food choices
  • Complain about everything
  • Don't dress up on formal night
  • Blow their noses in cloth napkins
  • Ask everyone at the table to say grace
  • Argue with their spouse at the table
  • Brag about their elite cruise line status
  • Talk about how many cruises they've been on
  • Text at the table
  • Try to sell you insurance
  • Show inappropriate attention to your spouse

Did I miss any?  You can either attempt to not do any of the above or go about your dinner as you wish and not give a damn if you happen to fall into the awful table mate category for someone. 

No wonder anytime dining is growing in popularity. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1