White running shoe crowd.

newts.travel

Are you put off by the Venetian demonstrations against cruises ships. Planning a November cruise  from there but don't want to be part of a problem. Tourism in Europe is becoming a real problem as rich retirees hit the high seas in search of a carefree holiday. Have cruise ships and the people they bring to ports become a problem? 

• Haha 1

I really don't understand your "white running shoe" reference, so I'll not address that.  We just returned from our 11 night Med cruise last month on Infinity.  There did not seem to be any problems with us retirees (rich or not not rich) or anyone else, for that matter.  We did not go to Venice, but considering a cruise embarking in Venice for 2020.  I can understand why the Venetians do not want cruiseships coming into certain areas.  However, I don't feel that I'm contributing to any problems.  This is between the cruiselines and the Venice government to come to an agreement.

• Like 2

I have been to Venice many times, spent my honeymoon there. Times have changed. St. Mark's square has become a zoo when cruise ships are in. I love cruising, but many of the ports in that part of the world, have become a nightmare for tourism and the people that live there. I just feel that Venice it a port that is finally taking a realistic assessment of how damaging "over tourism" can be. Dubrovnik, which is a beautiful city that we visited this year, is pushing back. I think that this trend will continue. My wife and I are struggling to find ports that have not already been overrun by tourism for cruising destinations. "White running shoes" are limiting are choices!

• Like 1

My guess is that the "white running shoe crowd" is that is the easiest way to identify a North American tourist.  Literally nowhere else in the world are they worn except in a gym or tennis court.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Never heard that phrase before and google isn’t helping.  Can you explain, please?

"White Running Shoe crowd" means tourists, specically American tourists.  It's why when I travel, I only use sneakers/trainers/running shoes for exercise.  The phrase "when in Rome..."  applies to your wardrobe, too.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Never heard that phrase before and google isn’t helping.  Can you explain, please?

I believe it's a derogatory term for "old people".  However, since white runners have become very popular and stylish again (all over Europe this spring), this term just is not even relevant.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Kind of a perjorative cut about the "white running shoe crowd"  Never heard that expressed quite  like that before. And why would any one group be responsible for " over tourism" ?

Aren't most ports overcrowded when ships are in ?  Some economies depend on it.

Venice   has environmental issues due to it's sensitive location .(so do other ports )..Never been there and  no plans on going. Our white running shoes are staying closer to home these days!

Edited by hcat
Delete extraneous quote...
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

My guess is that the "white running shoe crowd" is that is the easiest way to identify a North American tourist.  Literally nowhere else in the world are they worn except in a gym or tennis court.

Sorry, but the fashion people (LOL) say they're back!  Just look at the fashion mags and those riveting entertainment tabloid tv shows.  We were in the Med last month and so many young folks in white tennis shoes!  But really, who cares.

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

Kind of a perjorative cut about the "white running shoe crowd"  Never heard that expressed quite  like that before. And why would any one group be responsible for " over tourism" ?

Aren't most ports overcrowded when ships are in ?  Some economies depend on it.

Venice   has environmental issues due to it's sensitive location .(so do other ports )..Never been there and  no plans on going. Our white running shoes are staying closer to home these days!

Why are you quoting me?  I didn't make the assertion.

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Why are you quoting me?  I didn't make the assertion.

Sorry..I was just posting to the thread and did not notice that CC filled that in..I will try to edit!

It worked!

Edited by hcat

Why do people constantly  post and/or ask questions that have nothing to do with Celebrity cruises in the Celebrity forum?  Maybe someone could ask about parking and hotels in Fort Lauderdale again while we are at it ........

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Why do people constantly  post and/or ask questions that have nothing to do with Celebrity cruises in the Celebrity forum?  Maybe someone could ask about parking and hotels in Fort Lauderdale again while we are at it ........

I like the Renaissance on 17th Street 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Well, I do have the port of Trieste, as an overnight for next May.  I guess that gives cruisers more options to do Venice, Lake Bled in Slovenia or just stay in Trieste.  I totally understand the issues facing Venice and will not be going there again anytime soon.  As for the "WRS" comment, it did get people's attention... for the hotel parking in FLL, I am only there for the cruise port without my car...Furthermore, please do not frequent Tahoe, as the weather has been just awful:classic_wink:...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Actually I need a hotel for three nights in Miami in August. Any recommendations? 

1 hour ago, newts.travel said:

I have been to Venice many times, spent my honeymoon there. Times have changed. St. Mark's square has become a zoo when cruise ships are in. I love cruising, but many of the ports in that part of the world, have become a nightmare for tourism and the people that live there. I just feel that Venice it a port that is finally taking a realistic assessment of how damaging "over tourism" can be. Dubrovnik, which is a beautiful city that we visited this year, is pushing back. I think that this trend will continue. My wife and I are struggling to find ports that have not already been overrun by tourism for cruising destinations. "White running shoes" are limiting are choices!

So if I understand your post you want to deprive other cruisers of visiting places you have already enjoyed and make yourself part of the problem for other places by encouraging overtourism?    Your best solution might be to cruise on the relatively small ultra luxury lines (i.e. Seabourn, Regent, Silverseas, Sea Dream) and go to ports that are too small (or refuse) to host large cruise ships.   You are right about Dubovnik and it is their own fault (government) for encouraging and welcoming too many large cruise ships.  One easy solution would be to simply ban any ship with more than 2000 passengers from most ports.  This would force the cruise lines to again move towards smaller vessels for the more ambitious itineraries.  Venice has tried to move in this direction but has been thwarted by competing interests who would probably celebrate the arrival of a 10,000 passenger vessel.  Some Italian groups have been protesting overtourism and large cruise ships coming to Venice for at least 20 years.

But understand that cruise ships are only part of the overtourism problem in Europe.  Besides doing a lot of cruising we have also done plenty of extended driving trips in Western Europe.  In places like Venice and Cinque Terrre, even when there are few or no cruise ships these places have too many people.  There are simply more tourists going to fewer places.  Drive up to the Marche Region of Italy and you will find zero cruisers and relatively few tourists.  Many European tourists (especially bus tours) will pass right through the Marche while on their way to places like Florence or Venice.  It is hard to convince those tourists to visit places like Urbino and Genga rather than visiting Florence, Rome and Venice.   We have often posted suggestions here on CC that even cruisers can visit places like Volterra,  and Colle val d'Elsa when in Livorno.  But the reality is that most folks (including me) would prefer to go to Florence or perhaps spend a couple of hours in San Gimignano.  Popular tourist destinations are generally popular because they are good/great places to visit.  

The world economy has improved and more folks are now in a position to travel.  We now see lots of tourists from countries that traditionally did not generate a lot of international tourists (China and Russia quickly come to mind).   More tourists going to the same places is just the way it 

Hank

• Like 2

3 hours ago, newts.travel said:

Any city or country for that matter can refuse ship to port if they wish. Their cities their call.  I can spend my money elsewhere. All good.

• Like 1

I wonder if the OP in bemoaning ‘the white running shoes crowd’ that is ruining the ports realizes they are part of that crowd? The OP is a tourist along with all of us. 

i live on the Fla Panhandle vacation area and many locals complain about the crowds....except those that need to make a living, or actually meet some of our visitors and make new friends. To go to the island, We would just wait for the season to end. Pretty much like anyone who lives where people visit. 

Venice is a special case, but many areas are impacted by tourism. That’s why we try to visit places off season when we can. Being a ‘gray running shoes’ type, we have that flexibility. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I can't really find white running shoes anymore, I was hoping for some hints where I could buy them.

On Nike's website you can custom color the shoes.  I have Nike Air Max in all white and in all black.  

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I believe it's a derogatory term for "old people".  However, since white runners have become very popular and stylish again (all over Europe this spring), this term just is not even relevant.

No it is a derogatory of those from the US, because some folks don't think we should wear sneakers.  There are a lot of jokes about how to tell if someone is a US tourist.....white sneakers with socks.

• Like 3