cruise crew salary,only 100dollars a month?

miketriton

11 hours ago, Jam0610 said:

In some states minimum wage is only  $ 2.13 per hour

For TIPPED workers.

When I worked in a restaurant the minimum wage poster had 2 wages on it, one for tipped workers and another for "regular" workers.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

If my maths is right ... as an example .... Harmony of the Seas ....

If the 5400 passengers pay an average of $15 per day auto gratuity. Total ‘income’ per day, is $81000 . Add on to that various ‘service charges’ ....

2394 crew, less officers and salaried staff ... 2000 people?

$40.5 pppd. pro rata .... but some get more and some get less? That is almost $300 per week when at sea.

Having said that I have probably had brain fade working it out .... but it is quite amazing how these little add ons all add up.

Equally wasn’t there some scandal recently when a mainstream company upped its service charges and said the extra income would be used to pay for staff uniforms? ... and another company that had a similar hike which was purely profit based and not even passed onto the staff ..... never mind the fact that NCL’s head honcho earned in excess off $22 million last year 😀

Lots of misconceptions here about "salary" and "compensation". As noted by a previous poster, the MLC states a minimum wage of $614 per month for a 40 hour work week, and hours in excess of 40 paid at 125%. Each crew's contract spells out their total compensation, and whether it is all fixed salary, or a combination of salary and DSC. In the case of most front line hotel crew, their "salary" will only be about $100-300 per month, with the balance coming from DSC. If all DSC is left in place, these crew will earn about $1500-1800 per month. If DSC is reduced, then the crew will lose money, and the cruise lines only have to make up for lost DSC earnings if the crew's compensation drops below the minimum of $614.

This is standard across the industry.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Actually, OP has 5 posts.  

image.thumb.png.b9d53502f35d64e721a2360fdf680c3e.png

I think that I have issues with CC sometimes.  This is not the first time that I have had a discrepancy between the number of posts as it is shown under the same and the number of posts that appear when I go to content.  

Regardless, my point doesn't change.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I think that I have issues with CC sometimes.  This is not the first time that I have had a discrepancy between the number of posts as it is shown under the same and the number of posts that appear when I go to content.  

Regardless, my point doesn't change.

Well, when you click on a person's avatar, you'll typically only get the most recent posts.  What you have to do is click on the "All activity" link and then the "Posts" link on the left.  That brings up all of them.

19 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Seems Some service staff in US restaurants aren’t paid much more, without room meals and medical thrown in to the mix.

Google says the minimum server wage across the US is $2.13 an hour.

Google probably failed to put that in context.   Restaurant servers in America are subject to the same minimum wage requirements as others.  Employers are allowed to offset hourly pay to account for tips.  What you are saw in Google is probably the maximum offset figure, not the minimum wage.  The income received is based on the hourly pay + reported tips.

Anyway, not an argument for or against tipping.  Just an attempt to clarify.    

Check it out yourself. Totally bogus.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Rci/salaries

How much does RCI in the United States pay?

Average RCI hourly pay ranges from approximately $10.87 per hour for Laborer to $40.00 per hour for Administrator. The average RCI salary ranges from approximately $20,964 per year for Laborer to $32,000 per year for Entry Level Customer Service Representative.

Salary information comes from 137 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months.

Please note that all salary figures are approximations based upon third party submissions to Indeed. These figures are given to the Indeed users for the purpose of generalized comparison only. Minimum wage may differ by jurisdiction and you should consult the employer for actual salary figures.

25 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

That is what it says. Guess you had to confirm that. Go and see the web site and see all.

I think the point was that those salaries are not reflective of what ship-based employees make.  Those "laborers" are the ones mopping the floor in HQ, not the ones changing the sheets in your stateroom or wiping tables in the Windjammer.

Like it or not, mass market cruise companies generally staff their ships with people willing to work for very low stated wages supplemented by gratuities left by passengers.  

Anyone who books a cruise without understanding that has be either very careless or incredibly ignorant.  We all know (or certainly should know) how staff are compensated for their efforts.  The staff seem willing to accept those conditions (perhaps because they have very few alternatives at home), and most (all, in my experience) perform their responsibilities admirably - and in my experience have always earned the additional tips I give in addition to whatever auto- gratuities I leave in place.

If anyone has a genuine ethical problem with the way a cruise line conducts its business, they should spend their vacation dollars elsewhere.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JoeFan said:

Only in the cruise industry would an employer not pay their employees. Sorry but the person cooking your food is not a tipped position. The person cleaning the ship is not a tipped position. Would you tip the person who waters the plants or mows the lawn at a hotel or washes the sheets? No. Why should I tip because I am at sea?

Why does RCI push this onto the passengers via automatic gratuity and make you feel guilty about it?

Servers and Room Stewards. Everyone else should get paid with your cruise fare.

On cruise ships there are a lot of positions that are in the tip pool than in a typical US land based resort. What any of us think "should" pertain to a cruise ship's compensation plan has little relationship to reality for the employees.

48 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Like it or not, mass market cruise companies generally staff their ships with people willing to work for very low stated wages supplemented by gratuities left by passengers.  

Anyone who books a cruise without understanding that has be either very careless or incredibly ignorant.  We all know (or certainly should know) how staff are compensated for their efforts.  The staff seem willing to accept those conditions (perhaps because they have very few alternatives at home), and most (all, in my experience) perform their responsibilities admirably - and in my experience have always earned the additional tips I give in addition to whatever auto- gratuities I leave in place.

If anyone has a genuine ethical problem with the way a cruise line conducts its business, they should spend their vacation dollars elsewhere.  

Well heck, that last line ought to be changed to indicate only take staycations where they do all their own cooking.

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

IMHO, the crew don't get paid a lot, but it's a decent salary and a ship is not exactly a sweatshop in Bangladesh. The ships offer job opportunities for which people stand in a long line. Ask them, I think they won't be too happy about the "ethical" people to spend their money elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, GUT2407 said:

Seems Some service staff in US restaurants aren’t paid much more, without room meals and medical thrown in to the mix.

Check again, only 19 states pay $2.13. Colorado servers make $8.08, California makes minimum wage like everyone else. The times they are a changing, 2020 servers go up to $9.00

https://www.minimum-wage.org/tipped

Edited by coevan

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I agree with all you wrote. It is no more unethical how they conduct their business than it is unethical for a burger joint to pay what they offer an first time employee on his/her first day than what a high Michelin rated restaurant would offer a long time staff member with decades of experience. It all needs to be considered in context. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 3:56 PM, GUT2407 said:

Not exactly true.  Directly from the Dept. of Labor website: 

"A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees."

The actual federal minimum wage as of right now is $7.25 and an employee cannot be paid less.  In many states it is much higher.  When I retired from the company I did payroll for the minimum wage in California was $12/hour.

I am pretty sure there is a similar situation with cruise staff where their "base pay" is supplemented with benefits that must equal or exceed some minimum requirement.

How much real difference is there between an employee who gets a “salary” of just $100 a month and tip income of, perhaps, a couple of thousand $, or a sales rep who only gets a commission once it rises above a certain floor amount?  It is the total income that is of interest to the individual - whether it is all salary, some salary and tips, or all commissions.  The employer provides the position, the employee fills it (or not, if he does not like the terms) and the employee comes away with the income — which, regardless of whether it is salary, salary and tips, or all commission, makes it worth the employee’s while to accept the position.

• Like 1