Say ciao to that incredible Venice sailaway...

little britain

The minister of transport made some suggestions but the mayor of Venice does not agree... So according to the minister they will start by September 2019 and reroute some ships to ferry docks along the canal to Marghera. By 2020 this should affect app. 30%. Smaller ships up to 40,000 BRT will be still allowed to sail into Venice.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

I'm happy for the people of Venice. I wouldn't want giant cruise ships obstructing my view or damaging my historical city. If I'm ever lucky enough to sail from the new location I would go a day or two early so I can tour the city. They way these ships are growing it was only a matter of time anyway. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 6

This definitely sounds like something that was necessary and that it was only a matter of time.  However, any guesses how/when we will be informed of impacts to cruises this fall out Venice?   I assume it will take some time for city officials and the cruise line reps to figure out how to adapt to the new regulations.  I'm sure I'm not alone in having made most of my plans and arrangements based on the current docking locations/times.  Just want to be able to make changes if necessary (or to not panic unnecessarily)...

Glad we also got the opportunity to sail away down the Grand canel in June. We were there the week the incident took place and captain said in Q&A that it would delay our docking as we would have to go dead slow. My colleague at work is on same cruise on Rhapsody next year. Wonder if it will be affected. Its her first cruise 

the times in Italy are really long for anything, even if now they say that they will not leave more ships from Venice (they say for years and change their mind after 5 minutes) the time for the preparation of other pier will be at least 5 years ... let's bet? I have many friends from Venice, it is convenient for them and they are not sorry for these wonderful departures. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, loveheart said:

We are due to sail to Venice with an overnight stop on Vision next year. I wonder what will happen now.

You will be at the industrial port three miles away on the mainland.

Yeah, no. There is no current ban on cruise ships in Venice. There is no agreement ,as of yet. ,by all of the involved Italian parties, nor has any law or regulation been enacted. Nor is the necessary infrastructure in place for diversion to other nearby ports. So, while the goal has been stated, it's not likely to be  in effect in the immediate future.

Edited by mom says

I say "bravo".  I wasn't thrilled when my view on a sunny day was blotted out by a huge Princess ship coming up the Canal.   I was there on vacation and not part of the hoard from the cruise ships.   Day trippers, including cruisers, should be willing to pay the 10EU entry fee to help preserve the city.   

The Cinque Terre villages are also going to institute a cap on the number of daytrippers/cruisers.  They are also being overrun by people.  

Places are starting to realize that all those tourists aren't helping - there was a study a couple of years ago that showed daytrippers/cruisers spend less per capita per day than those who spend more than a day, but on the whole contribute more to the garbage than those who stay longer.   Capri has banned single-use plastic bottles and plastic shopping bags - they have so much garbage from tourists that it is costing too much money to barge out the garbage to the mainland.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I say "bravo".  I wasn't thrilled when my view on a sunny day was blotted out by a huge Princess ship coming up the Canal.   I was there on vacation and not part of the hoard from the cruise ships.   Day trippers, including cruisers, should be willing to pay the 10EU entry fee to help preserve the city.   

The Cinque Terre villages are also going to institute a cap on the number of daytrippers/cruisers.  They are also being overrun by people.  

Places are starting to realize that all those tourists aren't helping - there was a study a couple of years ago that showed daytrippers/cruisers spend less per capita per day than those who spend more than a day, but on the whole contribute more to the garbage than those who stay longer.   Capri has banned single-use plastic bottles and plastic shopping bags - they have so much garbage from tourists that it is costing too much money to barge out the garbage to the mainland.  

The ships sail out hundreds of yards out, they pass the canal in about 20-30', unless you are in a gondola a few feet away, very much doubt your "story" blocking your view but a few minutes on any day, sunny or not.   Perhaps you were there the day that very moment the sun was setting, well a good excuse to come back, or what a beautiful picture, ship, island, tower all in the same shot. 

Not sure how a cruise ship ( many of the ships start/end at venice ) where passengers spend a couple days pre/post, fly in fly out, do meals, buy trinkets just like the locals do is any worse value.       

I think the larger tourist problem applies Venice or any favorite tourist place that the world wants to visit.   I guess an auction to the highest bidders and for the locals to decide what to charge is the solution everywhere, public access why, just charge and limit based on who can pay, solution to everything.   

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Glad we also got the opportunity to sail away down the Grand canel in June. We were there the week the incident took place and captain said in Q&A that it would delay our docking as we would have to go dead slow. My colleague at work is on same cruise on Rhapsody next year. Wonder if it will be affected. Its her first cruise 

You didn’t sail down the Grand Canal, which is essentially limited to vaporetti and gondoli - nothing taller than 12 or so feet would fit under the bridges- it was Guidecca Canal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

You didn’t sail down the Grand Canal, which is essentially limited to vaporetti and gondoli - nothing taller than 12 or so feet would fit under the bridges- it was Guidecca Canal.

Good catch.  We sailed down the Grand Canal in a Vaporetti--we could have gotten to our destination faster if we had walked, but decided to partake of the experience.  

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/featured/contrary-to-reports-cruise-ships-are-not-banned-from-venice/

Contrary to reports, cruise ships are not banned from Venice

Italy’s Minister of Transport Danilo Tonelli is reported to have said that by next year a third of Venice’s cruise calls would be redirected to berths at neighbouring ports on the Italian mainland.

CLIA confirms there is no ban

Cruise Lines International Association confirmed there is currently no ban on cruise ships visiting Venice. Discussions concerning the future use of Guidecca Canal have been ongoing for several years and those discussions continue today without any conclusion, CLIA said.

From September, cruise ships can still enter the Guidecca Canal but some will need to find alternative berths within and outside the Lagoon.

Edited by Underwatr

10 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/featured/contrary-to-reports-cruise-ships-are-not-banned-from-venice/

Contrary to reports, cruise ships are not banned from Venice

Italy’s Minister of Transport Danilo Tonelli is reported to have said that by next year a third of Venice’s cruise calls would be redirected to berths at neighbouring ports on the Italian mainland.

CLIA confirms there is no ban

Cruise Lines International Association confirmed there is currently no ban on cruise ships visiting Venice. Discussions concerning the future use of Guidecca Canal have been ongoing for several years and those discussions continue today without any conclusion, CLIA said.

From September, cruise ships can still enter the Guidecca Canal but some will need to find alternative berths within and outside the Lagoon.

Too bad.  They really need to get a grip on this before it's too late.

7 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Too bad.  They really need to get a grip on this before it's too late.

I'm also in favor of a high tax on daytrippers, although it doesn't solve the issue of nonresident homeowners in Venice.

Just now, Underwatr said:

I'm also in favor of a high tax on daytrippers, although it doesn't solve the issue of nonresident homeowners in Venice.

They are two somewhat related but quite different issues.  The less people they'd allow in on any given day, the more I'd be willing to pay to visit.  I"m sure I"m not alone in that sentiment.

11 hours ago, mugtech said:

Glad we visited Venice in 2015.  Cannot imagine paying a fee, $5 to $10, just to set foot in the city.  Gotta wonder what it would be like to be docking 3 miles away.

People routinely enjoy visiting Rome from Civitavecchia (45 miles), and Florence from Livorno (60 miles) -- do you think people are really going to quibble about 3 miles?  Seems pretty close to me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

People routinely enjoy visiting Rome from Civitavecchia (45 miles), and Florence from Livorno (60 miles) -- do you think people are really going to quibble about 3 miles?  Seems pretty close to me.

😂 They already are 😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I walk more than 3 miles a day.

4 hours ago, Underwatr said:

In what way is non-resident homeowners an “issue” in Venice.  They may have pushed up property prices, but their taxes support the city, and they tend to preserve deteriorating buildings, while they make very little demand on services.  Most communities benefit from non-resident homeowners.

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

They are two somewhat related but quite different issues.  The less people they'd allow in on any given day, the more I'd be willing to pay to visit.  I"m sure I"m not alone in that sentiment.

Damn right. There are many environments where people are glad to pay more for an enhanced experience: balcony cabins on cruise ships, first or business class seats on planes, better hotels, etc.   Venice has been giving itself away for years and suffering for it while making it hard for interested visitors to enjoy. A reasonable entry fee would reduce the mobs while providing necessary funds to preserve the place.

• Like 1