Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

Things are progressing slowly but surely and I'm really pushing myself (to my comfort limits). 

Just a "small" update.  🤣

I can walk in a walking boot with no problems AT ALL. I have a funny limp because the boot doesn't allow me to "bend" at the ankle...but I'm good at it. I can even WALK UP STAIRS now with the boot...and I'm talking 1 foot on each step like a normal person. PROGRESS!!! Of course I can't go down like that because of the bending issue so it's 1 step at a time with both feet landing on the same step before going to the next. 

My foot is still so swollen (just like when I did it), which means I can't put a shoe on. I wear a 8 to 8 1/2 shoe and went out and had to get a size 11 shoe to even get my foot in it (encouraged by my PT). Well, it didn't work out too good because of the length of the shoe being so big that my foot slides back and forth. Also, even though I can get my foot in it, it still restricts my flow because of the swelling on top. So, I'm refusing to wear the shoe for now. 

I CAN and DO walk barefooted now!!! I spent 2 whole days (cooped up in the house) just walking around barefooted and I think I did excellent!!! I can even do stairs (1 at a time) and I have managed to do them a couple of times without a crutch. 

I STOOD UP TO TAKE A SHOWER FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST WEEK!!!! AHHHHHH!!! Success! I can't stay in there long because my heel starts to ache but I can do it!

Foot is now bending back at a +10. I've been on the stationary bike several times, working with the colored bands, a few weights, trying balancing acts (😆) on foam (which I totally have no balance with my eyes shut), and even worked on some machine you lay on and push with your feet to move back and forth with resistance. 

Things are progressing good and I've made a lot of growth in my progess. I have 5 more PT sessions and then go back to my ortho doctor for a check up. 

I do still have to use my wheelchair a lot. I can't walk or stand for long periods of time and I'm continuing to build the muscle back up in my legs. But...I rely on the wheelchair a lot still and expect I still will for months to come. 

My surgical scars are getting better. On the right, I still have a bump that continues to hurt and has a non-stop scab that comes off and it forms another. I have shooting pain on that side and can feel every bit of hardware in there. That's the side my ortho said I could take out if I wanted after December. On the left (the bad side) I finally lost my BLACK scab area (where the bone was laying against the skin) and the scar looks amazing other than one area that is still filling in and a hole that continues to "leak" every day and has to stay covered. (This is the area that looked like it just didn't have enough stitches in it and was an open wound where they went in on the second surgery to remove the infection.) 

*****Just a funny note**** I have NEVER felt SO TALL in my entire life. Standing up and walking and being at my height versus being in a wheelchair is so incrediably odd. I feel like a giant. It's the weirdest feeling ever. Like seriously....

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, AmyJA said:

You may never be an 8 to 8 1/2 again. 

I broke my hand a few years back and I have never been able to fit my rings on the same fingers on that hand. :classic_unsure:

Blah. I hope not. I broke my hand on a cruise back in 2010 and never had problems after the swelling finally went down. I'm hoping my foot will be the same. 

• Like 1

Yay for progress! Continued healing thoughts and prayers sent your way.

When I was in a boot a few years back I found the best way for me to tackle stairs was to take them sideways. I put my feet pointing to the wall and sidestepped one stair at a time. 

18 minutes ago, SenatorsFan said:

Thanks for coming back and updating us. I've been wondering how things are going and it's great to see the progress you are making. Yay for you! 😀

Heather

Thanks Heather. Any cruises in your near future for you guys?

2 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

So glad to hear such a positive update! It's wonderful to hear that you are walking better and even thinking about cruising again. I've been wondering how you've been doing. Keep up the good work! 

Thanks so much for thinking of me. 

Thank you for keeping us updated and so happy to see the progress you're making!  Are you on schedule or ahead?  We were in FL last month (not a cruise) and went to the beach just south of where the cruise ships sail out of Fort Lauderdale.  I wanted to at least see some ships if I couldn't be on one.  The one afternoon was low tide and there are a lot of rocks and coral exposed in the section closest to where the ships exit, so I walked out onto it while waiting for one of the ships to sail out.  Then I remembered you and your situation and realized all it would take would be one wrong slip.  I'm realizing things like that can happen when you're least expecting them.  I carefully went back to the beach and went down to the part that was all sand, planted my butt in the sand, and watched the ship sail out from there.  I'm continuing to keep the prayers, good vibes/juju coming your way and will throw some in that you'll get to cruise in December.  🙂 

Holly

Attaching a picture of one of the ships we watched.  This is my favorite because of the palm tree.  It's Holland America Volendam on her way to dry dock.  Didn't see any other ships sail out that day since it was a Thursday. 

20191018_162616.jpg

20 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

Hoping to be cruising sometime early in 2020,  Kim.  Yesterday my oldest son and his wife said they might be interested in planning a cruise, so we'll have to see. 😀

Heather

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Heather!!!

21 minutes ago, pghsteelerfan said:

Thank you for keeping us updated and so happy to see the progress you're making!  Are you on schedule or ahead?  We were in FL last month (not a cruise) and went to the beach just south of where the cruise ships sail out of Fort Lauderdale.  I wanted to at least see some ships if I couldn't be on one.  The one afternoon was low tide and there are a lot of rocks and coral exposed in the section closest to where the ships exit, so I walked out onto it while waiting for one of the ships to sail out.  Then I remembered you and your situation and realized all it would take would be one wrong slip.  I'm realizing things like that can happen when you're least expecting them.  I carefully went back to the beach and went down to the part that was all sand, planted my butt in the sand, and watched the ship sail out from there.  I'm continuing to keep the prayers, good vibes/juju coming your way and will throw some in that you'll get to cruise in December.  🙂 

Holly

Attaching a picture of one of the ships we watched.  This is my favorite because of the palm tree.  It's Holland America Volendam on her way to dry dock.  Didn't see any other ships sail out that day since it was a Thursday. 

20191018_162616.jpg

I am neither...I'm behind. They would expect you to be walking on it at 8 weeks, in a shoe, driving, and back to almost normal within weeks after applying pressure. 🙄 I had so many set backs and they still expect that of me (the ortho doctor not PT). Since I'm still completely swollen, I can't get a shoe on and the pain continues. It gets really bad at night that I still have to take pain meds at that point or I can't walk at all. The minute that I sit for any amount of time, it completely stiffens up and I can't walk. I have to limp or do some stretching exercises with it to loosen it up again to walk. Happens every time. As long as I'm moving around, it's good.  

I don't know (but I think I did) mention about a certain part of my knee hurting at the time I injured it. It wasn't until weeks later, after continuing to complain about it, that they did xrays on it and said nothing was broken. Well, it's still very painful and I continue to put lido patches on it but walking makes it worse. I honestly think I might have torn or sprained my AC or something. It shouldn't still be hurting at this point. But, I have to remember that I completely twisted my foot backwards and it was a pretty hard fall so after coming down on my foot, the knee was the next thing to hit. I just know that this is complicating my ability to walk right as well and I limp a lot. 

That's an awesome picture you took of the ship with the palm framing it. Those are the kinds of pictures I like to do. It just makes it more appealing to the eye I think. I absolutely love it!!! Thanks for sharing Holly!

4 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I am neither...I'm behind. They would expect you to be walking on it at 8 weeks, in a shoe, driving, and back to almost normal within weeks after applying pressure. 🙄 I had so many set backs and they still expect that of me (the ortho doctor not PT). Since I'm still completely swollen, I can't get a shoe on and the pain continues. It gets really bad at night that I still have to take pain meds at that point or I can't walk at all. The minute that I sit for any amount of time, it completely stiffens up and I can't walk. I have to limp or do some stretching exercises with it to loosen it up again to walk. Happens every time. As long as I'm moving around, it's good.  

I don't know (but I think I did) mention about a certain part of my knee hurting at the time I injured it. It wasn't until weeks later, after continuing to complain about it, that they did xrays on it and said nothing was broken. Well, it's still very painful and I continue to put lido patches on it but walking makes it worse. I honestly think I might have torn or sprained my AC or something. It shouldn't still be hurting at this point. But, I have to remember that I completely twisted my foot backwards and it was a pretty hard fall so after coming down on my foot, the knee was the next thing to hit. I just know that this is complicating my ability to walk right as well and I limp a lot. 

That's an awesome picture you took of the ship with the palm framing it. Those are the kinds of pictures I like to do. It just makes it more appealing to the eye I think. I absolutely love it!!! Thanks for sharing Holly!

Your knee too?!?!  What you explained would definitely make sense.  You may have mentioned it but I can't remember.  Everything your dealing with and the swelling and stiffness must be so frustrating!  I'd be going bat crap crazy but I'm sure you're beyond that. 

Thanks about the picture, especially coming from you since I have enjoyed your great pictures for years.  That was actually a Friday.  I got my days messed up since we were there a little over a week and left home in the middle of a week.  That was a first. 

Kim, thanks for the update! Glad to hear that you’re able to get around better than you were. Keep doing all the hard work that you’ve been doing in PT and you will continue to improve. Please continue to keep us updated on your progress when you can. I know I’m not the only one here who wants to see you through to the end of your recovery. ☀️🌴🐟

• Like 2

Oh my word, I just read through the review and what has been happening to you!  I am so sorry, but so glad you are finally on the mend.  I will NEVER step over a gas hose again!  One question for you.  Maybe I missed it, but please tell me you won the workmans comp case!

Can't believe Sakari has gotten so big.  Those pics with her white dress were eye opening.  Dad's going to have his hands full.  She has become quite a lovely young lady.  Would love to see a pic with her new glasses.  I bet she looks adorable in them.

Keep us posted on what your next adventure is!

Hi Kim

Very good to read about your progress and that PT has been successful. 

Standing in the shower is a great improvement ! Keep up the good work ! 👍👍👍

I thought of you today as I was gingerly maneuvering around the hoses being used by the man who was steam cleaning our carpets. The hoses were all  over our driveway and on part of our front walk and steps.🤦🏻‍♀️

I really shouldn’t have been outside, but I needed to put something in the mailbox at the end of the driveway. When I went back to go through the back door, it was locked ! I had locked myself out ! I couldn’t knock on the door for my hubby to unlock it because #1 he wouldn’t have heard the knock over the carpet machines,#2he was on the opposite side of the house and #3 he doesn't’ t hear very well...at least when I am talking to him! ! 😳 Anyway....

So, I had to negotiate those hoses to get in by the front door which was open to let the hoses go on the cleaning equipment in the house.

I kept thinking about you and went very slowly and carefully  to get into the house. You have passed on a good lesson to those of us reading your review/blog.

Wishing you continued success and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Kim, glad it is going better and you are able to walk with a boot or barefoot. Sorry about your knee hope that pain goes away! Hope you get to be planning your next cruise soon! I've been reading some of your reviews for my next cruise and as always they are helpful.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Trish

On 11/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, kpark895 said:

Kim, glad to hear your mobility is increasing!  You've made great progress from where you started at.

PT is really helping and giving me so many things to do to increase mobility and the strength back in my legs. 

On 11/13/2019 at 6:19 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

Your knee too?!?!  What you explained would definitely make sense.  You may have mentioned it but I can't remember.  Everything your dealing with and the swelling and stiffness must be so frustrating!  I'd be going bat crap crazy but I'm sure you're beyond that. 

Thanks about the picture, especially coming from you since I have enjoyed your great pictures for years.  That was actually a Friday.  I got my days messed up since we were there a little over a week and left home in the middle of a week.  That was a first. 

Yea my knee has been messed up since I fell. The more I walk on it the more it hurts. I did buy me a knee brace the other day but it just feels so weird to wear and I feel like it cuts the circulation off so I haven't been wearing it much. The swelling is just unbelievable by the end of the day. It's so bad that it cracks my skin and then burns and I can't put any lotion on it because it's open. 😞  Ugh, never ending. 

On 11/14/2019 at 3:27 AM, perfect match said:

Kim, thanks for the update! Glad to hear that you’re able to get around better than you were. Keep doing all the hard work that you’ve been doing in PT and you will continue to improve. Please continue to keep us updated on your progress when you can. I know I’m not the only one here who wants to see you through to the end of your recovery. ☀️🌴🐟

Thanks so much. Life is getting better and things are improving...slowly. PT is great and my therapist is so awesome. I didn't think I was going to like him after the first visit but he has opened up and I look forward to going every time. 

On 11/15/2019 at 4:15 PM, EasyPeasy said:

Oh my word, I just read through the review and what has been happening to you!  I am so sorry, but so glad you are finally on the mend.  I will NEVER step over a gas hose again!  One question for you.  Maybe I missed it, but please tell me you won the workmans comp case!

Can't believe Sakari has gotten so big.  Those pics with her white dress were eye opening.  Dad's going to have his hands full.  She has become quite a lovely young lady.  Would love to see a pic with her new glasses.  I bet she looks adorable in them.

Keep us posted on what your next adventure is!

Thanks so much and glad you were able to make it to the end of the review. 

Workmans comp....what a joke! They denied me and I got a lawyer. We went to court 2 weeks ago (the workers comp court). I was supposed to hear the judges decision last friday and I haven't heard anything. My lawyer seems to think he will deny it this time around and then we will appeal again and go to a "real" court and if they deny and don't over turn it...we go on to the next court higher up and have an actual jury/trial I guess. I'm not sure how it all works but my lawyer is telling me this could be another year in progress. 😞   It really sucks. 

I'll try and get a pic with her new glasses soon. 

On 11/15/2019 at 7:08 PM, MJSailors said:

Hi Kim

Very good to read about your progress and that PT has been successful. 

Standing in the shower is a great improvement ! Keep up the good work ! 👍👍👍

I thought of you today as I was gingerly maneuvering around the hoses being used by the man who was steam cleaning our carpets. The hoses were all  over our driveway and on part of our front walk and steps.🤦🏻‍♀️

I really shouldn’t have been outside, but I needed to put something in the mailbox at the end of the driveway. When I went back to go through the back door, it was locked ! I had locked myself out ! I couldn’t knock on the door for my hubby to unlock it because #1 he wouldn’t have heard the knock over the carpet machines,#2he was on the opposite side of the house and #3 he doesn't’ t hear very well...at least when I am talking to him! ! 😳 Anyway....

So, I had to negotiate those hoses to get in by the front door which was open to let the hoses go on the cleaning equipment in the house.

I kept thinking about you and went very slowly and carefully  to get into the house. You have passed on a good lesson to those of us reading your review/blog.

Wishing you continued success and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

I'm loving the shower now and I moved my bedroom back up stairs so learning to go up and down the steps has made me feel a little more mobile. 

Ohhh, stay away from the hoses! Yikes! I will be more careful in the summer when I'm outside with the hose now and the hose to the air compressor and electric cords out in the garage and everything else I can avoid. 

Glad you made it in the house ok. It sounds like something that I would do. We have a husky at home and he's just too smart. I was outside on the deck one day and he was yelping to come out with me. I was being lazy and didn't feel like getting up and after awhile of him begging to come out and not getting his way, he locked me out. He's done it several times. I don't go outside in the back without leaving a crack in the sliding glass doors. He won't pull that on me. 

On 11/20/2019 at 12:58 PM, mikayla73 said:

Kim - I just got caught up on all this. I'm so glad to see that things have improved so much and you're able to get up and around now even if it's not very long. 

Thanks so much.

17 hours ago, udamom said:

Kim, glad it is going better and you are able to walk with a boot or barefoot. Sorry about your knee hope that pain goes away! Hope you get to be planning your next cruise soon! I've been reading some of your reviews for my next cruise and as always they are helpful.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Trish

Thank you! I am planning my next cruise. I deserve one at this point. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

20 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I DID IT....I BOOKED A CHRISTMAS CRUISE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Be looking for adventures of a new kind...Mitsugirly and family tackles the Escape with a bum foot/leg/ankle and a wheelchair. YIKES!!!

Yay!!!!! I am so happy for you! Can't wait for the review

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

Be looking for adventures of a new kind...Mitsugirly and family tackles the Escape with a bum foot/leg/ankle and a wheelchair. YIKES!!!

Such great news!!  Something to look forward to! Will be challenges but at least you’ll be on a ship and spoiled.  

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

So happy for you  family.  Will be nice to be away from home for a bit!