Sailing Solo-Wine carry on

Plant

2 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Why don't you call Princess and ask them?😃

Doing that should confuse the situation even more.  Princess is notorious for giving out erroneous information.  The wine policy seem to vary by ship and who is or is not sitting behind the alcohol desk either at initial boarding or returning to the ship.  

To the OP, bring two bottles of wine and be prepared to pay the $15 if they ask.  The upside to this is that the bottle with the corking fee paid can be taken to the MDR or any place else on the ship while the first bottle without the corking fee is supposed to be consumed only in your cabin.  

I do agree however that if you pay for two to get a cabin, you should be able to bring that extra bottle on.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Doing that should confuse the situation even more.  Princess is notorious for giving out erroneous information.  The wine policy seem to vary by ship and who is or is not sitting behind the alcohol desk either at initial boarding or returning to the .  

I don't agree with you at all, and what studies have you conducted to substantiate that Princess is notorious for giving erroneous information, and having different wine policies for each ship?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I do agree however that if you pay for two to get a cabin, you should be able to bring that extra bottle on.  

I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment.  The Princess policy is that each adult can carry on one 750ml bottle of wine without incurring a corkage charge.  The policy of some other cruise lines allows two bottles per cabin.  If Princess meant two bottles per cabin, they could have written it, that way.

To the OP I agree with the opinion that you should bring two bottles if you would like to bring two bottles.   If you are asked to sign a chit for $15 prior to boarding, then go ahead and sign it.  There have been reports here on Cruise Critic that people have arrived for boarding and the "wine table" has not been set up or staffed, yet, and, so, they just walked on the ship with their wine.

• Like 2

It seems only fair that the OP should be able to bring on 2 bottles since they're paying for double occupancy.

But then again I don't make the rules and Princess usually isn't concerned about being fair.

Thanks for all the answers.  I do agree that calling Princess is certainly hit-or-miss, that's why I'm asking here where someone may have done the same thing.

I'll bring two and pay for the extra one if necessary.  It's a 20 day cruise, so I don't know if that will make a difference. 

I brought two bottles on my initial embarkation in Vancouver this summer on my first solo sailing. I was doing back-to-back cruises, so I was allowed two bottles. But no one even mentioned the second bottle or asked about it when I went through the security screening. They're probably used to one person carrying both bottles for a cabin.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment.  The Princess policy is that each adult can carry on one 750ml bottle of wine without incurring a corkage charge.  The policy of some other cruise lines allows two bottles per cabin.  If Princess meant two bottles per cabin, they could have written it, that way.

To the OP I agree with the opinion that you should bring two bottles if you would like to bring two bottles.   If you are asked to sign a chit for $15 prior to boarding, then go ahead and sign it.  There have been reports here on Cruise Critic that people have arrived for boarding and the "wine table" has not been set up or staffed, yet, and, so, they just walked on the ship with their wine.

The point being that the OP had to pay for two to get a cabin by alone and felt that since the OP paid for two, one should be able to bring two bottles of wine without a corkage fee.  I agree.

2 hours ago, Plant said:

It's a 20 day cruise, so I don't know if that will make a difference. 

If the cruise was sold as multiple cruises (B2B or B2B2B) you are allowed your personal bottle for each leg without corkage.  Just make sure you have all your boarding passes to prove that you are on a B2B (or B2B2B). 

5 hours ago, Husky61 said:

I don't agree with you at all, and what studies have you conducted to substantiate that Princess is notorious for giving erroneous information, and having different wine policies for each ship?

Reality.

Real life experience. This is why I use a travel agent instead of dealing with Princess.

As for wine policies.....every time I've brought wine on board, it's been handled differently. Too many variables to even know where to start! It's one of the given "quirks" in our cruises that we've come to expect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

They're probably used to one person carrying both bottles for a cabin.

Yup.  The people scanning carry-on have no way of knowing if you are with someone else.  If you have two bottles they likely won't send you over to the security desk.  If you have more than two (for a B2B) they will send you over there.

If you are on a B2B then bring on 2 for the first leg; don't pay the $15 if you are "caught" but ask them to keep it for you.  You will get it back at the end of the first leg.   Bring two more at the start of the second leg and repeat, at least you will have 2 for the second leg and 1 to take home!!

7 hours ago, LeeW said:

Yup.  The people scanning carry-on have no way of knowing if you are with someone else.  If you have two bottles they likely won't send you over to the security desk.  If you have more than two (for a B2B) they will send you over there.

Come to think of it I re-boarded the ship alone doing a B2B cruise last Feb with 2 bottles in my carry-on bag & they only asked if I was with the guy behind me.

They didn't make me go to the check in desk either.  

I've re-boarded a number of times doing the same routine with my 2 bottles & they never said a word. 

I'm beginning to think both my DH & I could take 2 bottles each (without paying extra) as long as we don't board standing right next to each other. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Plant said:

Thanks for all the answers.  I do agree that calling Princess is certainly hit-or-miss, that's why I'm asking here where someone may have done the same thing.

I'll bring two and pay for the extra one if necessary.  It's a 20 day cruise, so I don't know if that will make a difference. 

It's ultimately the decision of the people at the port.  You have a good argument so I'd give it a try, why not.

On 8/18/2019 at 12:29 PM, Husky61 said:

My study included several calls to Princess. I never got the same story twice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On our Baltic cruise on the Regal last week they were selling bottles of wine on board (not at restaurant prices) and allowing people to take them back to their rooms for consumption.  And they tend to be pretty lax about passengers bringing back alcohol on board from port calls.  We were on a Panama cruise where a passenger would bring a 6-pack back to the ship in a paper bag and tell the screeners that it was Coke, (they never bothered to even check.)