Questions from an overexcited newbie

CruisinFunGal

I have always loved the idea of cruising.  To be on a beautiful ship, exciting novel in hand and drink at the ready, all while waking up in a new and exciting place every day. I cannot tell you how excited I am.  I have wanted to do this for awhile but I am single and I can't get any of my friends to go with me so I took the plunge and booked it myself!

I am so excited but a little bit intimidated about doing this alone so I have several questions about cruising solo. I have to thank everyone on these boards already because it was reading cruise critic that really gave me the courage to do this.

Info about my cruise: I am booked on the Regal in June for a British Isles cruise.  This will be my first time out of the country as well. I have an inside (wish I could afford a balcony!)

My questions:

1. Recommendations on dining? I have any time dining.  If I ask to sit with others will I likely be a third wheel with a table of couples or will they be able to seat me with other singles?

2. Singles meet and greets? It looks like they sometimes have singles meetings organized by Princess. Is there any chance I would meet other gal's in their early 20's or, if not, people who would be willing to hang out with one?  I know from reading the boards that Princess has an older demographic and I selected it for that reason. I am not a big party girl, more of a "good book and glass of wine" girl.

3. Is there any single supplement on shore excursions? I was a little disappointed when I realized that the advertised cruise price was per person if two people are in the room. I understand why they have to do it, but will there be anywhere else that I would have to pay a single supplement?

4. Anything else I should know?  Any other tidbits or tips for a newbie?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising, @CruisinFunGal.

1. With traditional dining, they may make some effort to match people. With anytime dining, you will share with whoever arrives at the same time as you do. They can't try to match specific people, because you would wait too long to fill the table. The table may include couples, halves of couples whose other half isn't eating there that evening, and singles, but it will probably be mostly couples. Couples and singles talk together, and I don't believe anyone would feel like a third wheel.

2. Is there a chance? Yes. But there probably won't be very many, and you might not. There is no telling in advance for a specific cruise.

3. There is a single supplement on shore excursions that involve overnight stays in hotel rooms. If you want to rent a private car, then it will cost the same for a single or a couple. However most excursions charge per person, because they don't care if two people or together or not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not all people traveling together are "couples." I travel with my next door neighbor, another single gal who also enjoys cruising. We always ask to sit with others and look forward to meeting everyone with whom we are seated. In my experience, most people we meet are the same way.

We are also traveling one of the British Isles cruises on the Regal in June. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CruisinFunGal said:

I have always loved the idea of cruising.  To be on a beautiful ship, exciting novel in hand and drink at the ready, all while waking up in a new and exciting place every day. I cannot tell you how excited I am.  I have wanted to do this for awhile but I am single and I can't get any of my friends to go with me so I took the plunge and booked it myself!

I am so excited but a little bit intimidated about doing this alone so I have several questions about cruising solo. I have to thank everyone on these boards already because it was reading cruise critic that really gave me the courage to do this.

Info about my cruise: I am booked on the Regal in June for a British Isles cruise.  This will be my first time out of the country as well. I have an inside (wish I could afford a balcony!)

My questions:

1. Recommendations on dining? I have any time dining.  If I ask to sit with others will I likely be a third wheel with a table of couples or will they be able to seat me with other singles? I cruise solo.  Even sitting single at a table for 2, you will be close to others and I think Princess cruisers are super friendly! I never felt alone- sometimes wished I was-haha!  When I did specialty dining, they sat me next to a couple and another 2 singles.  We all had a great time visiting and were from 30-70 years old.

2. Singles meet and greets? It looks like they sometimes have singles meetings organized by Princess. Is there any chance I would meet other gal's in their early 20's or, if not, people who would be willing to hang out with one?  I know from reading the boards that Princess has an older demographic and I selected it for that reason. I am not a big party girl, more of a "good book and glass of wine" girl. I didn’t go to any of these.  I would not count on anyone your age, but I’ve found that everyone is friendly and I have not seen much partying late at night. I’m a book/wine girl too!

3. Is there any single supplement on shore excursions? I was a little disappointed when I realized that the advertised cruise price was per person if two people are in the room. I understand why they have to do it, but will there be anywhere else that I would have to pay a single supplement? 

4. Anything else I should know?  Any other tidbits or tips for a newbie? ENJOY! You will love it.  I am going on my third single cruise next week.  It’s my ME time. There have been very few people that were weird about solo cruising.  Ignore them and move on.  Doing what you want, when you want is liberating! If you want to visit, people are always willing, and if you want quiet, you can always find a place.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have often noticed meet-ups for singles in the Patter (the Princess Patter is the daily activities sheet that comes to your room each evening... also posted on ship's intranet which is available on a smart device).  They may only have them the first couple of days or so as people get a chance to meet up and exchange info.  Cannot swear if I have seen it listed every day.

I should ask my 30-yr old single daughter if she is interested in cruising with a stranger of similar age.  She has been on a family cruise with us years ago and more recently a short one with her Mom.  IDK if you are interested, but cruising is not that viable for her due to paying double.  She does like to travel and is off to Greece and Italy shortly on her own.

ETA:  You know those Singles websites for match-making.  There ought to be something for single cruisers who might want to consider sharing a cabin.  Having two single beds works very well - especially with an Inside room as you have lots of floor space. 

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

We are going on the June 21 Regal Princess cruise around the British Isles. Our 19 and 22 year old grandchildren are going with us. Feel free to join us at anytime dining if you are on that cruise. I would suggest you join the Roll Call here on cruise critic for the specific date you are sailing. You may meet others who you will find interesting and fun on the cruise you will be on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CruisinFunGal said:

My questions:

1. Recommendations on dining? I have any time dining.  If I ask to sit with others will I likely be a third wheel with a table of couples or will they be able to seat me with other singles?

With anytime dining just ask for a table to share. You will meet different people each evening. If you select to dine in the DR for breakfast you can also ask to share a table. We have shared tables with many solo cruisers of all ages. Most people are very friendly.

2. Singles meet and greets? It looks like they sometimes have singles meetings organized by Princess. Is there any chance I would meet other gal's in their early 20's or, if not, people who would be willing to hang out with one?  I know from reading the boards that Princess has an older demographic and I selected it for that reason. I am not a big party girl, more of a "good book and glass of wine" girl.

Princess normally has them for young adults. Watch the Princess Patter for time and location.

Princess shore excursions are per person. You pay the same everyone else.

Sign into the Regal Princess Roll call for your cruise date. There you will find others on your cruise. Many times private tours and on board activities are organized on the roll call board.

There should be lots of trivia sessions. Show up, you don't need to know much, and join a team. Teams usually stay together for an entire cruise.

Thanks in advance!

See above.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, katisdale said:

We are going on the June 21 Regal Princess cruise around the British Isles. Our 19 and 22 year old grandchildren are going with us. Feel free to join us at anytime dining if you are on that cruise. I would suggest you join the Roll Call here on cruise critic for the specific date you are sailing. You may meet others who you will find interesting and fun on the cruise you will be on.

Princess ships have the greatest people!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skynight said:

There should be lots of trivia sessions. Show up, you don't need to know much, and join a team. Teams usually stay together for an entire cruise.

Just avoid a group with cheaters.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2695517-princess-trivia-cheating-is-this-common/

• Haha 3

We enjoy meeting people so we always ask to share. Everyone is friendly and I enjoy listening to people’s stories. In our last cruise we traveled all the way to Alaska just to meet someone that lived only a few blocks from us. 😂 We still keep in touch after our trip. Have a great trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like all your questions have already been answered and, hopefully, allayed your worries.

All I can add is--Good for You!  No matter how you travel or who you travel with (including just yourself)--just keep traveling!   Talk to as many people people as possible (other travelers and locals), eat local food, wander off the beaten path, have adventures, make memories and, above all, do it with an open mind.  You'll never regret a day or dollar spent on travel!

• Thanks 1

We have had singles at our MDR table for dinner several times before and everyone is included in the conversation so don't worry about being a "third wheel".  Go and have fun meeting people from all over the world.  

We frequently go on different excursions since our tastes are not always the same.  I like more active tours while my partner is more into sedate activities.  You will find a lot of people on the tour who are on the ship with a partner where each decided on a different tour.

Go to the singles get together and meet the other singles on the cruise.  Age is only a number.  Congratulations on booking the cruise by yourself.  I think you well may become addicted to cruising like the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not think that they would sit you, as a solo, at a table with one other couple.

Couples who want to dine together tend to want to dine as a couple alone, and request a smaller table of their own, and sometimes wait a while for one to open up.    That is my guess, anyhow...    

It also might help to start posting on the Roll Call for your cruise and see who else might be onboard.  Sometimes cruisers get to know each other, or plan to go on the same excursions, etc...   

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, katisdale said:

Dang! I am on June 9, but thanks for the offer! I also didn't know about roll calls so I will post over there and see who I meet!

• Like 1

WOW!!! After I posted I made myself go away for a few hours and hoped that I would have a reply or two! You guys are all great! Thank you so much, this really has made me feel so much better.

I am not miss social but I do enjoy meeting and talking to people and cruise critic is such a great place where everyone is so nice! (except the dress code threads!)  🙂

I am just going to introduce myself and feel ok about being solo!

Thanks everyone!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

I have often noticed meet-ups for singles in the Patter (the Princess Patter is the daily activities sheet that comes to your room each evening... also posted on ship's intranet which is available on a smart device).  They may only have them the first couple of days or so as people get a chance to meet up and exchange info.  Cannot swear if I have seen it listed every day.

I should ask my 30-yr old single daughter if she is interested in cruising with a stranger of similar age.  She has been on a family cruise with us years ago and more recently a short one with her Mom.  IDK if you are interested, but cruising is not that viable for her due to paying double.  She does like to travel and is off to Greece and Italy shortly on her own.

ETA:  You know those Singles websites for match-making.  There ought to be something for single cruisers who might want to consider sharing a cabin.  Having two single beds works very well - especially with an Inside room as you have lots of floor space. 

Thank you so much for this! I am good with exploring this first one by myself but you are one of the posters on here that I read a lot! I really will let you know after this one if I want a "cruise buddy".  🙂

Not sure if you live in or near a big city but (moving forward) have you ever thought of joining a travel group in your area? Does your alma mater or any local group that you are a part of have a travel group? I have traveled with a group of friends for years as well as my husband & family, but, some of my single friends find a group where they can "pair up". No matter how you go; you are going to love cruising: guaranteed! Enjoy!

First things first. You're gonna have a great time...

There are plenty of places to curl-up with a book and drink some wine. Plus, there's people watching, live-music, and not having to make your own bed for a week. What's not to love!?

Much of the staff will be around your age, so no worries. You'll have plenty of people to talk to, eat with, or ignore.

2 hours ago, CruisinFunGal said:

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic and congrats on your booking and leap of faith!

I am not sure I understand #3.

Shore excursions do not charge for 2 people if you are a solo passenger.

You can book a shore excursion and only pay for yourself.

It has nothing to do with the double charge of the cruise fare.

Can't think of anything else where you would pay double other than a hotel package through Princess. These are over priced to begin with and you can find much better prices on your own if you need a hotel.

I agree with posters above. Your roll call is the best place to make contacts in advance and to find out who is cruising with you. Of course the roll call will only be a very small portion of the actual passenger list but it is a great place to meet fellow cruisers and get info about excursions, etc.

• Like 1

I took my first solo cruises this summer. DH had to stay home to work. I had a great time. But I learned some important things that I'd do differently next time. I had traditional dining. It was great on my northbound cruise but not so great on my southbound one. I ended up eating alone at a table for six twice. My tablemates decided not to come to dinner. The husband in one couple was sick. The single woman assigned to our table only showed up a couple of times. The other couple just decided to eat somewhere else. Next time I sail solo, I'll go with anytime dining.

As for the solo passenger get together, it was sparsely attended--just me and a couple of women. One of them joined me for trivia several times and we'd sometimes meet for cocktails in the evening. But I bet it depends a lot on the itinerary and demographics. 

10 hours ago, CruisinFunGal said:

a) There will be a daily newsletter in your cabin listing all activities for that day. It is called the Patter. The embarkation day one will be in your cabin when you embark. Each evening the next day's Patter will be delivered to your cabin. Read it carefully so that you do not miss an activity, event or entertainment you would like to attend. The back page will list the hours for each dining venue and bars.

b) If you have a question, do as you have done here and ask it. Ask before the cruise like you have done here or in your roll call. Ask on the ship if you have any questions. Staff will be very willing to answer any question you may have.

• Like 1