If passport expires less than 6 months after cruise, will we have problems?

camorelli

Another that will add you will be fine in your situation as long as you are a US citizen traveling on a closed loop cruise.  Exception used to be for Cuba but since those cruises are no longer doesn't apply.

We booked a fairly last minute cruise to the Bahamas in January of this year.  Went to do on line check in and realized our passports were due to expire in March.  We did get a warning on check in but accepted and continued.  I did research and felt fairly comfortable we would be fine.  Just in case I brought the birth certificates.  At the port nobody batted an eye when we handed over the passports with less than 2 months left on them.  We are cruising in November and now have new passports.

One comment if by chance you need to fly home early and cannot get a direct flight back to the US you could have issues.  As long as you can get a direct flight or hopefully complete the cruise as planned you will be good.

6 hours ago, evandbob said:

If there is an emergency and you need to fly home for whatever reason, the time left on your passport might matter wherever you sail. 

If you have a real ID license and are cruising to the Caribbean this year and there are no unforeseen emergencies you should be good to go.

Both of the above assertions are incorrect:

First, a US passport is good for reentry to the US until the day it expires so the time left on your valid passport is irrelevant if you have to fly home in an emergency. If it hasn't expired, it's still good.

Second, REAL ID drivers licenses have absolutely nothing to do with international air travel. REAL ID, or other acceptable ID will be required for boarding domestic flights effective October, 2020. REAL ID is not now nor will it ever be valid for international flights. International flights always require a passport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, camorelli said:

Renewing or not isn't a big decision for us.  We planned on renewing after our trip.  We're beyond the 6 month mark.  Renewing now, instead of after the trip, within 8 weeks is a concern.  I was trying to see if I could just use what we have currently have rather than worry that new passports might not come in time.  It still seems like I could use what we have and take our birth certificates just in case since it's just a closed-loop cruise out of Tampa.  I do see that September is supposed to be a quicker turnaround time.  Just need to decide if we want to risk renewing now in time, pay the expedited fees or cross our fingers with current passports and birth certificates.  I do appreciate all of the help with this.

Your passports are fine...and you don't even need to take your birth certificates, but if you'll feel more comfortable doing so then take them.

4 hours ago, rjgdjg said:

Please note the following from Royal Caribbean's website:

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)?

For US Sailings 

U.S. Citizens may sail using their:

• Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

or

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise. 

- Musing About Cruising

Unfortunately there's one page on the Royal Caribbean website that has that incorrect information about 6 months validity. A different search of the website would come up with the correct information. I think the information got there when Cuba cruises were discontinued and they accidentally brought in the wrong wording to the revised page. The page you cited also omits mention of other types of valid proofs of citizenship and ID, including passport cards and enhanced drivers licenses, so the page is just wrong all around.

Common sense will tell you'll that if you can cruise without a passport, as is the case here, if you actually have a passport it doesn't have to be valid for six months.

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

First, a US passport is good for reentry to the US until the day it expires so the time left on your valid passport is irrelevant if you have to fly home in an emergency. If it hasn't expired, it's still good.

Second, REAL ID drivers licenses have absolutely nothing to do with international air travel. REAL ID, or other acceptable ID will be required for boarding domestic flights effective October, 2020. REAL ID is not now nor will it ever be valid for international flights. International flights always require a passport.

My 1st statement about having just 3 months left on a passport was related to flying out of a country where a possible emergency occurred, not about re-entry into the USA.  I said the time left might matter to officials of the country where one is leaving.

My 2nd statement about real ID had stated if "there are no emergencies" during the cruise the OP "should be good to go", meaning the cruise, not international travel.

I realize that many posters, myself included, scan through postings rather quickly.  But when someone states that another poster is wrong about something, then they should at least read that post a little more closely. 

In this case, since I was misinterpreted incorrectly,  it's humorous that both of mine and both of yours may indeed be correct since we are each talking about different situations.  HAGD and happy sailing!

Edited by evandbob

2 minutes ago, evandbob said:

My 1st statement about having just 3 months left on a passport was related to flying out of a country where a possible emergency occurred, not about re-entry into the USA.  I said the time left might matter to officials of the country where one is leaving.

My 2nd statement about real ID had stated if "there are no emergencies" during the cruise the OP "should be good to go", meaning the cruise, not international travel.

I realize that many posters, myself included, scan through postings rather quickly.  But when someone states that another poster is wrong about something, then they should at least read that post a little more closely. 

In this case, since I was misinterpreted incorrectly,  it's humorous that both of mine and both of yours may indeed be correct since we are each talking about different situations.  HAGD and happy sailing!

I didn't misinterpret what you wrote nor did I read it too quickly. What you wrote was just flat-out wrong.

First all that matters to local officials is what the requirements are in the country you're flying to. So if you're flying to the US all that matters is that your passport hasn't expired, because US passports are good for reentry to the US until the day they expire.

Second, the REAL ID license has nothing to do with the cruise either. REAL ID is not required to board a cruise nor will it be in October 2020 when it becomes mandatory for domestic airline flight ID. 

When in doubt, go the US State Department's website and see what they have to say:

How long is a passport valid and is it true that it needs to have at least 6 months of validity remaining?

"Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.  Consider the following scenario: A country requires that you have at least six months of validity on your passport. You currently have seven months of validity on your passport.  However, your trip is two months from now. At that point, you will only have five months of validity remaining on your passport which is not enough to satisfy that country's entry requirements. In this situation, you would need to renew your passport before you can make your trip.

Check our Country Information to learn about entry and exit requirements for the country or countries in which you are traveling."  (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/faqs.html)

The website also has an entire long page on Travelers with Special Considerations >Cruise Ship Passengers (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html) that contain lots of interesting and germane information for US cruise passengers including:

"Always bring your passport in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency, even if your cruise says you won’t need it."

"Apply early for your passport, or make sure your current one will be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages.. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not."

"Make color copies of your passport photo page, foreign visas, and itinerary. Leave one copy with a trusted family member or friend and carry one separately from your actual documents."

"If you lose your passport, report it immediately to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate and make arrangements to get a replacement passport, for a fee."

I am taking a cruise.  Do I need a passport?

"We recommend that everyone taking a cruise from the United States have a passport book. Though some “closed-loop” cruises may not require a U.S. passport, we recommend bringing yours in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port. Also, your cruise company may require you to have a passport, even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection does not."

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Although without REAL ID, your passport will work for flying domestically also.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

1)  The country you are leaving does not require 6 months validity to LEAVE.  Only to enter.

2)  For a cruise, a REAL ID is no different than a non-REAL ID driver's license.  It is a simply a government issues photo id, nothing more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nascarcruiser said:

I guess my question on the Real id is this....if you have a passport do you really need the real id?  I mean places like federal buildings couldn't you use your passport in place of it?

You're fine with a passport...no need for REAL ID.

However, I find having something the size of a credit card that I can carry around all the time in my wallet is a heck of a lot more convenient than having to take a passport. Since my state is just starting to issue REAL ID licenses I carry my global entry card, also a credit card size document. I leave my passport at home unless I'm making an international trip.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:29 AM, camorelli said:

I should add that we are cruising out of Tampa to western Caribbean ports only with a return to Tampa.  I guess at this point, I'm not sure we would have enough time (or could be cutting it close) to renew passports.  We're 8 weeks out from our cruise.  Maybe we can go get the Real ID licenses just in case.  Or just bring birth certificates with us too.

We just got ours renewed.  We chose expedited processing and got the new passports in less than 2 weeks.  Personally, I wouldn't leave the country without a valid passport.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:26 AM, rjgdjg said:

Please note the following from Royal Caribbean's website:

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)?

For US Sailings 

U.S. Citizens may sail using their:

• Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

or

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise. 

- Musing About Cruising

Gee, I was just reliably informed that the 6 months doesn't apply to cruises.  And now this.

Well, anyone who takes advice from perfect and perfectly anonymous strangers on the internet deserves what they get.

BTW, Victory Cruise also requires a passport that is good for 6 months beyond the end of the cruise on a Montreal to Boston cruise.  Missed the 6 months by a week but fortunately noticed that and got it renewed in time.

28 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Gee, I was just reliably informed that the 6 months doesn't apply to cruises.  And now this.

And we all know how closely cruise lines adhere to their policies 100%. MOST do not care whether it is 6 months for you to board, even with that policy. That is for their protection.

43 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Well, anyone who takes advice from perfect and perfectly anonymous strangers on the internet deserves what they get.

BTW, Victory Cruise also requires a passport that is good for 6 months beyond the end of the cruise on a Montreal to Boston cruise.  Missed the 6 months by a week but fortunately noticed that and got it renewed in time.

The Royal Caribbean web page cited is erroneous. They don't require 6 months validity on cruises from the US. As I explained from an earlier post the problem with this web page appears to stem from when Cuba cruises were eliminated. Cruises to Cuba did require 6 months validity . Apparently when they revised their documentation information they incorrectly took the wording from the Cuba requirements, rather than the wording from the other itineraries. 

The correct information can be found elsewhere on Royal Caribbean's site. If you read this page you'll see that there is no reference to a six month requirement. The passport merely has to be valid:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-are-required-for-cruises-from-united-states-ports

By the way common sense will tell you that if you don't need a passport at all for a cruise, then if you have a passport it only has to be valid. A  six month requirement would be nonsensical.

Yes, some cruise lines require 6 months validity for all cruises regardless of whether laws and regulations require it. That is not the case for the mass market lines .

Edited by njhorseman

On 9/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, camorelli said:

I should add that we are cruising out of Tampa to western Caribbean ports only with a return to Tampa.  I guess at this point, I'm not sure we would have enough time (or could be cutting it close) to renew passports.  We're 8 weeks out from our cruise.  Maybe we can go get the Real ID licenses just in case.  Or just bring birth certificates with us too.

You do not need a apssport for that trip, UNLESS you are on one of the luxury lines that has its own requirements. as long as your passport is valid on the day you return to the US that is all that matters. You don't need to worry  about what others are telling you. If you have an emergency and have to fly back as long as your passport is valid on the day you return you are fine. remember you ar ento really visiting the countries in question, you are considered in transit.

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

What you are quoting makes no sense. If you can cruise without a passport, it doesn't matter how long your valid passport has left on it. Heck, just drag the BC along and you are good to go. Let the passport be the valid ID.

Edited by zqvol

On 9/18/2019 at 9:46 AM, sparks1093 said:

Everyone's situation is different and if they don't have any travel planned for the foreseeable future at expiry why rush? Just remember to renew it before your next trip. Of course if you need to have a valid passport at all times then renew but many people don't fall into that category.

I can't predict what travel I'm doing past next spring so I sure can't for ten years.  It's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of travel and I'm befuddled by those who would let theirs expire.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, camorelli said:

Why take the chance with the "less than 6 month window"?  We just returned from a trip to Israel, where my passport expired 1 week LESS than the 6 month return window.  I have heard that various airlines and/or countries hold this 6 month expiry in different importance, but why chance it?  You have plenty of time to renew your passport via mail.  I had less than 6 weeks to renew mine (I had returned from Aruba in July and was leaving for Israel in early Sept).  I renewed with "expedited service" for an additional $60 and received my new passport back in less than 3 weeks. Your passport is valid for 10 years so why play it close to the renewal date.   

• Like 1