Crew Vacations

md80fan

This is just a question out of curiosity. When a person in a normal job (non cruise industry) goes on vacation. We still get our pay or salary for the week or weeks we are not at work. I cannot believe this happens in the Cruise industry. This question might need to be separated between high up positions like Ship Captain and Cruise Director vs lower jobs as room attendant and waiter. So when they say a person goes on vacation are they still getting a salary from Royal. If they are not getting paid then in reality are they really on "Vacation". I would think that one of the benefits of working so many days in a row followed by longs days off was the earned vacation time. However if you are not getting paid is it really vacation. If it is not vacation then really it is  just the cruise industry working their employees non stop then saying go home. In reality it is none of my business about those employees as they make the decisions on what is best for their lives. I was just curious when the cruise director says I am going on vacation. Is he really or is it just time off with no pay. Do they still have health benefits etc.. like a non cruise industry employee does when they are on vacation

40 minutes ago, md80fan said:

This is just a question out of curiosity. When a person in a normal job (non cruise industry) goes on vacation. We still get our pay or salary for the week or weeks we are not at work. I cannot believe this happens in the Cruise industry. This question might need to be separated between high up positions like Ship Captain and Cruise Director vs lower jobs as room attendant and waiter. So when they say a person goes on vacation are they still getting a salary from Royal. If they are not getting paid then in reality are they really on "Vacation". I would think that one of the benefits of working so many days in a row followed by longs days off was the earned vacation time. However if you are not getting paid is it really vacation. If it is not vacation then really it is  just the cruise industry working their employees non stop then saying go home. In reality it is none of my business about those employees as they make the decisions on what is best for their lives. I was just curious when the cruise director says I am going on vacation. Is he really or is it just time off with no pay. Do they still have health benefits etc.. like a non cruise industry employee does when they are on vacation

Think of this.  How many different nationalities do you have on a cruise ship?  Some items such as insurance would be impossible for a cruise line to provide, except of that on the ship.  80 different countries?  Most employees are on "contract" and they do their contract and go home for up to 2 months before they return.  I don't think it's a vacation, but just a break.  Same as a school teacher.  The summer break is not a vacation, because they are a 9  month employee.  Yes, they can have a annual benefit plan that is escrowed out of their check to cover the break, but they don't get paid.  Not all jobs fit the "normal" job.  Cruise ship jobs can be very rewarding to some people in certain countries, and in other countries, not worth it. 

• Thanks 1

No.

They are contractors.  When they are on a contract, they get paid.  When they are not on a contract, they are not getting paid.

In the U.S. there are many people who live and work under similar circumstances.  Some call themselves contractors.  Some call themselves free-lancers.  Some call themselves self-employed.  Some call themselves consultants.  If they have a "gig" they are getting paid.  If they don't,  they aren't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the response. I never thought to compare it to all the "Self Employed" and contractors type jobs we have here. I guess what got me thinking was the crew members refer to leaving the ship as to going on vacation. When in reality it is not vacation. It is just the easiest way to explain their time away from the ship. There are obviously many industries and jobs that have similar situations.

Thanks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, md80fan said:

Thanks for the response. I never thought to compare it to all the "Self Employed" and contractors type jobs we have here. I guess what got me thinking was the crew members refer to leaving the ship as to going on vacation. When in reality it is not vacation. It is just the easiest way to explain their time away from the ship. There are obviously many industries and jobs that have similar situations.

Thanks

Actually it is a vacation - and that is what every crew member I've ever talked to calls it.  When they are under contract, it typically is for 4-6 months at a time.  They also often sign their next contract prior to the expiration of the current one, but not always. 

The time off between contracts varies by contract length but would normally be 6-8 weeks.  Senior staff's contracts vary, but typical contracts for Captains are 10 weeks on / 10 weeks off.

While working, they have off hours time, but basically no vacation days as they work during that time 7 days a week.  So when their current contract ends and they are between contracts, they are indeed on vacation.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Many many years ago, when I first went to see, the situation was the same for both salaried staff and non-salaried staff, i.e. officers and crew.

You joined a ship and signed articles, you left when you left ... could be four months, could be ten months ... luck of the draw.

When you signed off,  your net wages earned were calculated and your ‘paid leave’ was calculated and the whole job lot was paid in one lump sum.

When your ‘official’ leave was up you were effectively off pay. If you chose to return early then you started getting paid again so effectively you were on ‘double time’ .

This applied to all staff ... contract or non- contract.

As conditions improved and wages were paid on a regular basis by bank transfer this ‘perk’ disappeared so the  best you could hope for - in the event you were asked to return early - was a choice of ship. If you chose NOT to return early, you got what you were given .... usually what everyone else had declined 😏

• Like 1

With the exception of the previous response, none of the previous replies are totally correct. This is a highly varied subject and an employee's terms & conditions vary considerably with numerous variables - nationality, rank/rating, length of service, type of contract, etc.

When I started all officers and some crew were on salary, with the other crew coming from one of the pools. All of us on contract were fully paid on leave - Officers were 4 months on/2 off & ratings were 6 months on/2 off. For my last year, I worked 4 months on/4 off, on full pay. Any crew from those days who have remained, will have the same terms & conditions.

For more recent employees, it depends on the contract. Our son started with Princess, as a cadet, on a US Contract. He was paid cash only when aboard the ship. When working he received medical/dental care. On leaving the ship he received no benefits, holiday pay, college tuition, etc. However, as 3rd Officer he switched to a UK contract receiving pension, medical benefits, college tuition and a monthly salary paid by direct deposit.

However, I believe most, if not all ratings are employed as contract employees and are paid only for time aboard. Some Junior Officers not on UK Contracts will also have similar terms & conditions as ratings with no pay while on leave.

At least with both companies I worked for, the Masters are on a separate management contract.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Think of this.  How many different nationalities do you have on a cruise ship?  Some items such as insurance would be impossible for a cruise line to provide, except of that on the ship.  80 different countries?  Most employees are on "contract" and they do their contract and go home for up to 2 months before they return.  I don't think it's a vacation, but just a break.  Same as a school teacher.  The summer break is not a vacation, because they are a 9  month employee.  Yes, they can have a annual benefit plan that is escrowed out of their check to cover the break, but they don't get paid.  Not all jobs fit the "normal" job.  Cruise ship jobs can be very rewarding to some people in certain countries, and in other countries, not worth it. 

What, teachers don’t get paid during vacation? I assume you are talking about in the USA? 

wow wonder why anyone goes into teaching over there.

11 hours ago, md80fan said:

Just out of curiosity, what business is it of yours?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 1:33 PM, Joseph2017China said:

Same as a school teacher.  The summer break is not a vacation, because they are a 9  month employee.  Yes, they can have a annual benefit plan that is escrowed out of their check to cover the break, but they don't get paid. 

Perhaps that is how it is in your state but not so in PA.  My wife is a teacher and while she does have time off in the summer away from teaching, her position and corresponding salary is considered as a full time position with an annual salary that is paid as such in paychecks issued over 12 months.

There is also no escrow for benefits to cover the break.  Her benefits are full time in terms of her contribution and in effect over the same 12 months as her salary.  Her district is also one that requires a college degree in Education to be qualified to teach along with an additional 27 credits to be completed over time while teaching to obtain full certification.

As such IMO your citing of teachers are a far cry from, and not a relevant comparison to, contract employees for ship based employment relative to this thread.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

In most states, you can choose to be paid (as a teacher), either thru 12 months, or for 9 months (or however long the school year might be).  You can the same YEARLY pay, but it's just divided differently, if you want to get a check when you're NOT working.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cb at sea said:

In most states, you can choose to be paid (as a teacher), either thru 12 months, or for 9 months (or however long the school year might be).  You can the same YEARLY pay, but it's just divided differently, if you want to get a check when you're NOT working.

Please keep in mind with this there are 11 states that have 12 month public school calendars, meaning those students attend classes all year with no 2 month summer break but with shorter quarterly breaks.  Clearly less than a 12 month salary payout would not apply to those states.  And the payout when less than 12 months is 10 months, not 9. 

Officers were 4 months on/2 off”

Maybe, perhaps 😢

We used to dream of 4 month trips 😀

There was the famous ‘overseas contract’ with P&O .... you signed on for twelve months .... Arabian Gulf / Indian sub continent  to Australia / NZ ... return ... ad infinitum.

The perk was no income tax😂 as agreed with HMG.

It caused mayhem when they brought one to the UK.

I work under contract, and consider my time between contracts "vacation."  I schedule, budget, and plan for it.  It's the only way to both pay the mortgage and get enough time off to really travel. Although, sometimes, I am working while I travel.

The crew members I've met are all intelligent adults. They know the stipulations of the contracts they are working under.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Officers were 4 months on/2 off”

Maybe, perhaps 😢

We used to dream of 4 month trips 😀

There was the famous ‘overseas contract’ with P&O .... you signed on for twelve months .... Arabian Gulf / Indian sub continent  to Australia / NZ ... return ... ad infinitum.

The perk was no income tax😂 as agreed with HMG.

It caused mayhem when they brought one to the UK.

With Passenger Division our contracts were 4 months give or take a few days. We also knew our schedule a year in advance. Even on 4/2 we didn't pay tax, which is why it was a shock when I moved to Canada and had to pay tax.

As a cadet, I did a couple of cargo ships and sailed with chaps that had completed the 30-month foreign service contract.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:51 PM, GUT2407 said:

What, teachers don’t get paid during vacation? I assume you are talking about in the USA? 

wow wonder why anyone goes into teaching over there.

I do not think that what was stated is common.  At least, it isn't here in California.  I actually would be surprised to hear that it happens in Florida.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

I believe higher rank officers get all the benefits plus paid vacation. The rest of the crew and staff definitely don't get a aid vacation, nor health and retirement benefits. Shame.

Sorry, this is not correct. As I posted earlier, it depends on their contract.

I know of 3-stripe officers that do not get paid while off the ship, yet some 3rd Officers (1-stripe on UK Contract) do get benefits.

• Like 2

Most of the teachers I know (in Michigan) are given the option to have their pay divided into 26 biweekly payments, or to receive their money biweekly only over the course of the school year. 

They earn the same amount over the course of the twelve months regardless of which payment method they choose -- the check is smaller if they choose the year-round option, and larger if they choose the school calendar option.

Insurance benefits are for the full twelve months regardless of the paycheck option chosen.