Cozumel overrun with 40,000 people

prudence passenger

22 minutes ago, prudence passenger said:

Is it really possible that with 8 ships in port on January 2, 2020 that with passengers and crew there could be 40,000 people? 
should we just stay on the ship? 

Contact  Nochi Cocum (user friendly website)  Amazing beach club that only allows~100 guests.  $59.   No rows and rows of chairs, just two well spaced rows of loungers with palapas.  Never crowded when we go.   Good food, good service. 

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com

INCLUDES:All you can Drink, unlimited alcoholic and non-(Open Bar including: beer, liquors, cocktails, water, wine, sodas, juices and bottled water).
À la carté menu for lunch includes Mexican Specialties as well as Caribbean treats.
Beach Club Amenities.

Edited by jrs101
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, prudence passenger said:

Is it really possible that with 8 ships in port on January 2, 2020 that with passengers and crew there could be 40,000 people? 

We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise last month that stopped in Cozumel along with 5 other ships. We've been there many times but it was the most crowded we had ever seen. We were docked downtown. We decided that in the future, we would not get off the ship if there were a large number of ships in port. 

We were there last month aboard Allure with 6 other cruise ships. It wasn't that bad at all.

3 ships were birthed a mile or so away nearer the town centre.

We didn't take an excursion either and happily roamed around Cozumel.

The sea front bars were very lively too.

Better than being a ghost town.   Apparently they can handle that many tourists or they wouldn’t  have built the piers.  

Does the ship you are on feel crowded with the amount of passengers on it?  Cozumel is a lot bigger.  

Even though a ship can have 5000 or more on board counting  the crew in that number they don’t all get off at the same time and many don’t leave at all.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

I would bet less than 20% of the crew will get to go ashore, and those that do will not crowd your tourist places.  they are looking for the equivalent of WalMart to get the basics.  And you will probably meet them coming off the ship when you are going back.  EM

We did Nachi Cocum last time we were in Cozumel...was great!  There were several ships in port that day and we had to wait in a fairly long line for a taxi to get there.  Probably waited half an hour or so.  We had made arrangements thru our roll call to share a cab with another couple who were also going there.   No problem getting a cab back to the port at the end of the day.

We will be in Cozumel again early Jan (3rd time there) and have planned this port as a day to stay on the ship.  It will be the first time ever we have stayed on board at a port.  We are looking forward to it 🙂  The other 3 ports on our itinerary are new to us so this will be the only one we skip.  Thankfully they don't look like they will be nearly as busy as Cozumel.

Edited by bebe08

There are 8 scheduled in on 2/20 when the Edge is there. I’m doing Maya Chan in Costa Maya and did not want to do another beach club day (plus reviews of Nachi and gluten-free options were not great), so I researched the ship-based excursions (OBC to spend and I am solo, so private excursions are much more for me if they will even take only one) using a website I found that reviews them and lists the lines that offer that one. I discovered that the Climb the Coba Pyramid and Cenote Swim excursion is only offered on Celebrity and Royal - and those make up only 3 ships with the second not even slated to dock until an hour after us. Most of the others - especially Tulum or Chichen - are offered by all lines.

I would also recommend Nachi if you decide to venture off the ship. Go early to get a cab there (approx. $20 each way) and a good palapa (umbrella). As well, they take your picture when you arrive and try to sell it to you later in the day (we paid $13 for it last time we were there). We also like to tip our waiter at the end of the day. Yes, all these items add up, so I just wanted to let you know. However - the drinks are free-flowing and the food is delicious - best guacamole I have ever tasted. 😊 

Gosh, the price has come down since we went, and at $59 pp, it's a steal if you are a big drinker. 😉

3 hours ago, jrs101 said:

Contact  Nochi Cocum (user friendly website)  Amazing beach club that only allows~100 guests.  $59.   No rows and rows of chairs, just two well spaced rows of loungers with palapas.  Never crowded when we go.   Good food, good service. 

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com

INCLUDES:All you can Drink, unlimited alcoholic and non-(Open Bar including: beer, liquors, cocktails, water, wine, sodas, juices and bottled water).
À la carté menu for lunch includes Mexican Specialties as well as Caribbean treats.
Beach Club Amenities.

Since food is so subjective, I would not agree with you about the food being good at Nachi Cocom. The last time we were there we thought the food was mediocre at best.  Subjective tastes!

I'll be in Cozumel on Dec 27th, but not via a cruise.  We're staying in an all inclusive in Playa del Carmen and will be coming to the island to meet up with a friend (she's a masseuse, so we get massages and then do an early dinner with her at La Choza).  5 ships in port that day for us....  ugh.  Over 15,000 possible passengers coming ashore.

5 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9e33aab39cf5b99d5a7f8aaf7ceba661.jpeg

Cruisett is the least reliable of the 'ships in port' websites.  That itinerary does not bear any relation to what is on cruisecal or cruisetimetables for Rhapsody of the Seas.  On both, she is in Cozumel on Dec. 30, not Jan 2.  With Carnival Vista and Dream, Enchantment and Majesty.  EM

14 hours ago, prudence passenger said:

Do they all stay in Cozumel.  It seems like the big attractions are Tulum or Chichen Itza?

We never spent time on Cozumel.  I understand the crowded concern.

Edited by NMTraveller

There were 11 ships in port when we were there on Dec 5th. We booked a Secret River tour through the ship so were off early and back late. The place was bustling! It was crowded but really didn't affect us.

Edited by mac66

10 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Cruisett is the least reliable of the 'ships in port' websites.  That itinerary does not bear any relation to what is on cruisecal or cruisetimetables for Rhapsody of the Seas.  On both, she is in Cozumel on Dec. 30, not Jan 2.  With Carnival Vista and Dream, Enchantment and Majesty.  EM

cruisett is the only site I know, and has been fairly reliable in the past.

which are the other sites ?

8 minutes ago, keesar said:

The ships are spread out along the coast.  It has not been 'overrun' with cruisers.  No need to worry.

It will be bustling along the waterfront downtown.  Though the majority will be off on excursions.