Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

We got home to Batemans Bay yesterday after being away since Xmas Day, unable to return earlier because of closed roads, no power, food and fuel shortages down here.   Thank goodness the house was still standing, albeit with singed fences and 12 days of rotten food in fridges and freezers, due to no power from 31 Dec until 2 days ago.  Did an insurance claim for lost food today with NRMA Home Contents Insurance, no problem - approved over the phone and money deposited today, sent them pics of fridges and freezer full of rotten food.  So we just spent $500 in Woolworths and Aldi to replace our food supplies. Albeit I was talking to a NRMA call centre in Manilla - Phillipines, but they were great.

The neighbours and RFS were on our roof with the hoses and saved the place.  Heroes all.  Around 500 houses lost in the Eurobodalla area.  We know of many friends who lost them.  Starting to quieten down a bit here.

All the best everybody and stay safe.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We got home to Batemans Bay yesterday after being away since Xmas Day, unable to return earlier because of closed roads, no power, food and fuel shortages down here.   Thank goodness the house was still standing, albeit with singed fences and 12 days of rotten food in fridges and freezers, due to no power from 31 Dec until 2 days ago.  The neighbours and RFS were on our roof with the hoses and saved the place.  Heroes all.  Around 500 houses lost in the Eurobodalla area.  We know of many friends who lost them.  Starting to quieten down a bit here.

Glad to see you home safe.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shayna1900 said:

Yes they have those warnings but the warning level is not high enough for travel cancelation /interruption insurance to kick in. I have to check if it effects my medical travel insurance. I’ve bought masks just in case because I’m recovering from bronchitis .

well make sure there good masks as I mentioned if you have any breathing problems just be very careful as the air quality here is pretty poor  if your just here for a day or so before ship leaves port you should be ok .. but if you intend to stay and go sight seeing then look for good quality masks 

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We got home to Batemans Bay yesterday after being away since Xmas Day, unable to return earlier because of closed roads, no power, food and fuel shortages down here.   Thank goodness the house was still standing, albeit with singed fences and 12 days of rotten food in fridges and freezers, due to no power from 31 Dec until 2 days ago.  The neighbours and RFS were on our roof with the hoses and saved the place.  Heroes all.  Around 500 houses lost in the Eurobodalla area.  We know of many friends who lost them.  Starting to quieten down a bit here.

Good to hear you are safe, and it appears you were fortunate to have such good neighbours and the RFS to save your house. Glad I didn't have to clean out your fridge and freezer. It happened to us while we were on a cruise a few years ago, we had trademen in and our freezer was turned off and not turned back on. Yuck!

Hope the fires don't affect you again. How are things in your area now?

Leigh

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Good to hear you are safe, and it appears you were fortunate to have such good neighbours and the RFS to save your house. Glad I didn't have to clean out your fridge and freezer. It happened to us while we were on a cruise a few years ago, we had trademen in and our freezer was turned off and not turned back on. Yuck!

Hope the fires don't affect you again. How are things in your area now?

Leigh

A few small fires around, plenty smoke, but supplies ok, Evac centre still operating, a few hundred homeless people living in army tents on the sports ovals.  Princes Hwy open to Sydney and Kings Hwy to Canberra, been closed for 6 weeks but may open this week.  Plenty of businesses suffering from lack of tourists.  We normally get 50,000 plus Canberrans down here over the Xmas/New year, but not now.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Les, I am glad to hear that you and your wife are OK. Also pleased that your house is OK, although it sounds like you will have a bit of work outside. All the best. 🙂

Appreciate your words, thanks.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

A few small fires around, plenty smoke, but supplies ok, Evac centre still operating, a few hundred homeless people living in army tents on the sports ovals.  Princes Hwy open to Sydney and Kings Hwy to Canberra, been closed for 6 weeks but may open this week.  Plenty of businesses suffering from lack of tourists.

Sorry to hear about the businesses suffering because of the lack of tourists. But unfortunately that is happening in all the places hit by fires. Those who have lost their houses may also have lost their businesses too. Are there plans in operation for the 'homeless' to relocate. I can't imagine they would want to live in tents for very long. They will want to get back to normal lives asap.  But with the number of houses lost, I guess it won't be easy to find accommodation close by.

Leigh

7 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Good to hear from you Les, so glad your house is ok.

So sad for your friends that lost theirs.

Love and hugs to you both😘

Appreciate your kind words Chez. I can feel the love through the smoke and embers....stay safe it is a jungle out there.💋

I went through many bushfires and disasters in my 36 yrs 'in the job' - 1967-2003, like you, but this horrendous.

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Appreciate your kind words Chez. I can feel the love through the smoke and embers....stay safe it is a jungle out there.💋

I went through many bushfires and disasters in my 36 yrs 'in the job' - 1967-2003, like you, but this horrendous.

Yes, I remember directing traffic out on the ol Pacific Hwy due to fires, but like you say, nothing like this.

We still have smoke and fires smouldering up here, will be going on 3 months!! Had a bit of rain but hot and dry again today.

Lets hope the worst is over for everyone soon.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

We got home to Batemans Bay yesterday after being away since Xmas Day, unable to return earlier because of closed roads, no power, food and fuel shortages down here.   Thank goodness the house was still standing, albeit with singed fences and 12 days of rotten food in fridges and freezers, due to no power from 31 Dec until 2 days ago.  Did an insurance claim for lost food today with NRMA Home Contents Insurance, no problem - approved over the phone and money deposited today, sent them pics of fridges and freezer full of rotten food.  So we just spent $500 in Woolworths and Aldi to replace our food supplies. Albeit I was talking to a NRMA call centre in Manilla - Phillipines, but they were great.

The neighbours and RFS were on our roof with the hoses and saved the place.  Heroes all.  Around 500 houses lost in the Eurobodalla area.  We know of many friends who lost them.  Starting to quieten down a bit here.

Great to hear that you and your home are safe, albeit with some damage.  Sorry for your friends and medals for the firies and your neighbours.  It must have been very worrying for you not being there for so long.  Best wishes  

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

welcome home to CC. Good news about your house.

I hope this has not been to much for your wide and her health.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Glad you have it sorted and a home to come back to.

Glad you are home safe. 

You may recall Tracey & I travelled down the South Coast in Oct to attend a party at Wallagoot, staying in Merimbula. We have followed the fires on TV, and are committed to spending some time during this year down there again to support the local businesses. It's the least we can do.

Stay safe all.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, NSWP said:

Glad to hear you guys are safe 🙂

Well, the smoke has gone from Melbourne.

It has been replaced by rain, hail and thunderstorms.

Report shows currently 18mm for Williamstown. Light compared to St Albans with 71mm and Avalon Airport 44mm,  bits of flooding and the regular fun we have.

It had calmed down, so I was going to go for a walk in the fresh air — but the rumbling has started again.

Hopefully, the beneficial level of this will be heading east.