Little Touches above Royal Caribbean?

LMaxwell

20 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We don't miss the DL or CL when we are cruising with Celebrity. 

We interestingly do not either.  We thought we would but we didn’t.  I don’t even bother with the elite event.  I think since most people have the BP perk if they drink,  you really have no incentive to go to the event.

4 minutes ago, rimmit said:

We interestingly do not either.  We thought we would but we didn’t.  I don’t even bother with the elite event.  I think since most people have the BP perk if they drink,  you really have no incentive to go to the event.

We enjoy the CC HH on Celebrity even with the BP and the C&A HH and the 24 hour DL and CL. We like the similarities and differences between Celebrity and RC. 

My wife and I started sailing RCL but then did a Celebrity cruise on a tremendous deal on a suite on a repo cruise, and we've stayed with Celebrity since.  Both are great cruise lines, and at this point I think I'd do RCL again if our kids were going to cruise with us, I think it's probably a little better for families, but cruising as a couple Celebrity is best for us.

I think the Suite perks are better. Grand Suite to a Sky Suite, the rooms themselves aren't tremendously different, but having access to Luminae, and a more intimate, quieter dining experience was a huge perk for us.  Also Michael's/now Retreat. 

As other's mentioned, Cafe el Bacio is much better than the RCL coffee options. We also like the Celebrity Solarium vs the RCL equivalent.  Nicer ambience.

Also as others mentioned, no smoking indoors in any part of the ship.  A HUGE plus for us.  

I do think the musical entertainment on RCL tends to be a little better, and I wish Celebrity had something like the Schooner Bar on RCL, more dedicated piano entertainment at night. 

Again, both great cruise lines, but I think the quieter, maybe slightly more "mature", Celebrity cruise style is just better suited for our cruise style.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

It looks like there is some type of Spa breakfast bar as well; is this the case and is it included or an upcharge?  

The Spa Cafe is located in the Solarium and it is an included venue for all. There are a few things like smoothies that may carry am up charge if you don't have a beverage package that includes them. They are open for breakfast and lunch and have a limited menu with lighter fare.

5 hours ago, printingchick said:

Is there still a fancy brunch offered in the main dining room on sea days? Someone said chocolates on the pillows. Is that true? I thought all the lines had eliminated those! Are robes for use while on board offered to all, or only suite guests and or Captain's Club members? 

I don't remember a special brunch on sea days in the MDR. Yes, there are chocolates on the pillows. Robes are available in all classes of cabins for use during the cruise. Inside to Verandah have a waffle weave type and Concierge, Aqua and Suites have a plush terry type robe.

21 hours ago, printingchick said:

Is there still a fancy brunch offered in the main dining room on sea days? Someone said chocolates on the pillows. Is that true? I thought all the lines had eliminated those! Are robes for use while on board offered to all, or only suite guests and or Captain's Club members? 

On RC ships there is the Tutti Salad Bar on Sea Days in the MDR.  Are you perhaps thinking of that? 

We enjoy both Royal and Celebrity but, IMO, the two are more similar than different, especially when you compare service and food. Celebrity offers more selections in the buffet and MDR but I tend to like Royal’s food better.  I also prefer Royal’s specialty restaurants over Celebrity’s although the coffee shop on Celebrity wins. 

Entertainment is tops on Royal, in fact, I think Royal is a much better line if you are taking children.  Our recent Infinity cruise during TG week had over 450 children on it and the ship seemed overwhelmed.  

Overall, IMO, Celebrity has a different feel to it than Royal. More sedate, maybe? I think if I had to describe each in one word, Royal would be fun and Celebrity would be relaxing. 

One last thing, Celebrity has some really uncomfortable furniture in the lounges and even in the cabins.  We cruised on Equinox after the revitalization and they still had the same chairs in the Starlight lounge.  The few times we went to the Captain’s Club, we stayed only a short time due to the chairs.  And the fake leather couch in our cabin was just as bad!🙂

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, printingchick said:

I've never been on Celebrity before, but thought I recalled seeing photos of a sea day brunch on Summit years ago. It featured chocolate fountains and such. Maybe it wasn't Summit. Thanks!

The key words above are highlighted. I haven't seen this brunch on any X ship in quite a few years. They do sometimes have the chocolate fountain occasionally in the OVC though.

One thing I noticed is going back and forth between Royal and Celebrity... is that in the buffet the plates on Royal were plastic and the ones on Celebrity were German china. The glassware in the main dining room on Celebrity was Reidel. I am a bit weird... but I find beverages particularly wine just is better with a thin edged glass... Yeah and beer is better out of a brown glass bottle. i know... weird. Personally I am glad they don't have trays in the buffet... again weird I know... but it creates that cafeteria feel... makes me think of work not vacation. Now DH has mobility issues, so without fail someone comes up to him on Celebrity and offers to help. 

On 12/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, kearney said:

One thing I noticed is going back and forth between Royal and Celebrity... is that in the buffet the plates on Royal were plastic and the ones on Celebrity were German china... Yeah and beer is better out of a brown glass bottle. i know... weird...

I love the real coffee mugs on X (real cream, too) versus the plastic cups on Royal. Spoons to stir your coffee. Little touches. ✔️

Oh, and my husband grew up in the Caribbean and would respectfully disagree with you on the brown beer bottle... to this day he only drinks from a clear bottle so he can see what's in it. 😂Yeah. I don't want to know what he encountered, either...  😉

Giving more thought to this topic, I have to mention how much I really appreciate the cold towels and cold refreshing drinks offered by Celebrity right outside their ships for returning passengers after their port excursions. It is so nice to get the grime off your hands and to cool off a little and quench your thirst. This amenity just says "hospitality" and I see it as a very special treat. 

I don't think anyone mentioned this either. About half way through the cruise on Celebrity , each cabin receives a "How Are We Doing?" card to full out for praise or gripes and to name crew who have been outstanding. I have had staff call me to thank me for comments.  Crew members have told me that being mentioned on this sheet earns them awards such as half days off or praise is put in their personnel file.  I don't think Royal C. hands out these comment sheets half way through their cruises. By the way, these sheets are not the same as the e-mail evaluation sheets sent at the end of cruises. 

We made the switch from Royal to X as well although we are not quite the status you are. In addition to everything others have mentioned, overall it's just a more refined atmosphere although it's not like Viking, Oceana, etc - the smaller luxury ships. The food quality is better, too. 

We do miss the entertainment choices on Royal, and marvel at the engineering of their huge ships but it's not enough to keep us there. Until we have grandchildren, that is - then I'm sure we'll be back to Royal. 

Enjoy every minute!

Yes I think not having to show Sea Pass card for towels is a step above for X ships.  RCI very  tacky in this area.

Also the mattress on the beds are much better on x ships.  I was on the Silhouette and slept very well.  RCI is hard as a rock. 

Also loved the evening buffet on silhouette, even the Captain eats there.

The Captain's talk on Silhouette was the best ever. He had a 30 minute slide show which wonderful information about navigation and the ship.  Then he opened up to questions.

But RCCL does have nice cookies and good entertainment.  But silhouette has the nice grass area with those HUGE CHAIRS.

On 12/29/2019 at 2:56 PM, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Giving more thought to this topic, I have to mention how much I really appreciate the cold towels and cold refreshing drinks offered by Celebrity right outside their ships for returning passengers after their port excursions. It is so nice to get the grime off your hands and to cool off a little and quench your thirst. This amenity just says "hospitality" and I see it as a very special treat. 

I don't think anyone mentioned this either. About half way through the cruise on Celebrity , each cabin receives a "How Are We Doing?" card to full out for praise or gripes and to name crew who have been outstanding. I have had staff call me to thank me for comments.  Crew members have told me that being mentioned on this sheet earns them awards such as half days off or praise is put in their personnel file.  I don't think Royal C. hands out these comment sheets half way through their cruises. By the way, these sheets are not the same as the e-mail evaluation sheets sent at the end of cruises. 

Every now and then Royal will set up a cold towel station. In 100 or so cruises on RCI (I just had to throw that in there, lol) I don't recall ever seeing a "how are we doing?" sheet.

4 hours ago, critterchick said:

Every now and then Royal will set up a cold towel station. In 100 or so cruises on RCI (I just had to throw that in there, lol) I don't recall ever seeing a "how are we doing?" sheet.

I’ve gotten that on my last 2 RCCL Cruises - both Med itineraries (well, one to only Greece and the other around Italy). That was in 2014 and 2016.

After a 10 year absence from Royal Caribbean we were aboard Allure for a B2B last month. I forgot how basic the cruise line is compared with Celebrity and Princess. I really missed the Celebrity fresh pasta station and the vast variety of desserts found on Princess.

If all you love is burgers and pizzas then you can't go wrong with Royal Caribbean. For me the Flow Rider was the only plus, but not enough to ever get me back on board another of their ships.

Edited by Esprit

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

After a 10 year absence from Royal Caribbean we were aboard Allure for a B2B last month. I forgot how basic the cruise line is compared with Celebrity and Princess. I really missed the Celebrity fresh pasta station and the vast variety of desserts found on Princess.

If all you love is burgers and pizzas then you can't go wrong with Royal Caribbean. For me the Flow Rider was the only plus, but not enough to ever get me back on board another of their ships.

Err, not really. Pizzas on RCL are terrible as many agree, and limited in choice. 

Princess has traditionally been much better in them as well.

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Err, not really. Pizzas on RCL are terrible as many agree, and limited in choice. 

Princess has traditionally been much better in them as well.

Have to disagree with you on pizzas. I thought the Princess pizzas could never be surpassed but I have to reluctantly admit the ones I regularly ate on Allure was really good indeed. The choice was no more limited than Princess either. I hope I'm proved wrong when I get on Enchanted Princess in the new year.