General dress code for ports in Europe

rene194215

Hi!  This will be my second time in Europe (first time I was 11 so no real experience) I have been doing some research and am trying to build a packing list and wanted to reach out and see what advise can be given by port as far as a dress code for women.  I will have a light shawl with me to cover my shoulders but I like to have shorts on when exploring. I do not like to be hot so I would like to avoid longer pants.  Also, I dont particularly like dresses on tours.  I know some places you need to have knees covered as well I think to go in a church?  Can anyone shed some light?  Ports are below.

Venice

Rijeka

Kotor

Corfu

Malta

Messina

Naples

Rome (Vatican so I think I will need capris for this) 

Livorno 

Barcelona

THANK YOU!!!!

Hola.  I'm on the same itinerary later in September, and this will be my fourth European cruise.  Note that it's not the ports of call, per se, it's houses of worship.  Which most European tours include.  If yours does, my suggestion would be to 1-never wear a tank top; 2-bring a large, light wrap (something that could be used for a beach cover up, for example) that you could wrap around your waist as a sarong, hence covering your knees.  Vendors often sell something that works outside of the churches, but why waste the euros if not necessary.  If you're wearing a tee shirt with sleeves, no need to worry about the shoulders.

We were on a Mediterrean cruise in August 2018.  We were at a village on Malta, went into a church.  They very much enforced shoulders and knees being covered (there was a man sitting inside the door giving women shawls to cover up shoulders).  In Rome we went to St Peters Basilica in the Vatican.  I did see people denied entry due to what they were wearing.  I wore capris and a top with cap sleeves.  It was quite acceptable.  I didn't want to wear long pants because it was summer and very hot.  The only issue with clothing should be going into churches. 

1 minute ago, meanjean80 said:

Hola.  I'm on the same itinerary later in September, and this will be my fourth European cruise.  Note that it's not the ports of call, per se, it's houses of worship.  Which most European tours include.  If yours does, my suggestion would be to 1-never wear a tank top; 2-bring a large, light wrap (something that could be used for a beach cover up, for example) that you could wrap around your waist as a sarong, hence covering your knees.  Vendors often sell something that works outside of the churches, but why waste the euros if not necessary.  If you're wearing a tee shirt with sleeves, no need to worry about the shoulders.

Agreed, this is what I do. Dress to be comfortable but bring lightweight wraps in your purse to wear in churches.

You will not see many, if any, in shorts other than at the beach in Europe. So I would rethink that aspect of your wardrobe.

I do hear you about not wanting to be hot. I have some experience touring in the heat (including Texas in July!), so here are some tips:

-Wear natural fibres. I can't emphasize this enough - it makes such a difference. Cotton and linen are your new best friends😁. No joke, a good pair of linen pants will be cooler than any pair of shorts you can wear;

-Look at capris - these will be quite common in Europe, so definitely look to wearing these rather than shorts;

-I know you mentioned not liking dresses, but a nice cotton sundress can be quite comfortable;

-Do not forget good walking shoes.

• Like 1

Appropriate attire is required for churches in Rome (these rules are arbitrarily followed depending on the church) - shorts are not considered acceptable attire. I also don't care to wear dresses - capris are a great alternative - personally, we do not wear shorts in europe.

Some places have very little shade (Rome for example). In addition to comfortable shoes, I would recommend taking sun hat, sun screen & water.

General dress code?  Jeans, jeans, jeans.  That is truly the general dress code throughout much of Europe.  As others have said, there are certain dress codes for entering some (not all) churches although we have seen plenty of folks walk into European churches in shorts and even sleeveless shirts.  The Vatican does enforce their dress code (cover knees and shoulders).  

I should mention that as a guy who has traveled extensively throughout Europe, when it is hot I will usually wear shorts and DW will generally be in Capris.  While it is true that many European men will not be caught dead in shorts, I am not a European :).  On a hot day in Rome of Venice you will see plenty of shorts.  Bottom line is that your tourist days can be long and involve a lot of walking..so dress comfy.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

General dress code?  Jeans, jeans, jeans.  That is truly the general dress code throughout much of Europe.  As others have said, there are certain dress codes for entering some (not all) churches although we have seen plenty of folks walk into European churches in shorts and even sleeveless shirts.  The Vatican does enforce their dress code (cover knees and shoulders).  

I should mention that as a guy who has traveled extensively throughout Europe, when it is hot I will usually wear shorts and DW will generally be in Capris.  While it is true that many European men will not be caught dead in shorts, I am not a European :).  On a hot day in Rome of Venice you will see plenty of shorts.  Bottom line is that your tourist days can be long and involve a lot of walking..so dress comfy.

Hank

I'll go along with Hank on that cos we do get some hot days.

I wear shorts locally on hot days, especially if working outside.

In cities, with shorts you'll look like a tourist. But what the heck -  you'll look like a tourist anyway.

JB :classic_smile:

ps Was going to point out the language difference for "shorts" between the US and the UK. But decided not to - in the hope of causing embarrassment to some unwitting US cruiser :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rene194215 said:

Hi!  This will be my second time in Europe (first time I was 11 so no real experience) I have been doing some research and am trying to build a packing list and wanted to reach out and see what advise can be given by port as far as a dress code for women.  I will have a light shawl with me to cover my shoulders but I like to have shorts on when exploring. I do not like to be hot so I would like to avoid longer pants.  Also, I dont particularly like dresses on tours.  I know some places you need to have knees covered as well I think to go in a church?  Can anyone shed some light?  Ports are below.

Venice

Rijeka

Kotor

Corfu

Malta

Messina

Naples

Rome (Vatican so I think I will need capris for this) 

Livorno 

Barcelona

THANK YOU!!!!

Naked in Rome is perfectly acceptable.

2 hours ago, Twickenham said:

You will not see many, if any, in shorts other than at the beach in Europe.

Sure you will.......I saw many Italians in shorts when I was there last fall (and I never saw a beach).   Well, my presumption was they were Italian, but unless I asked them, I wouldn't know for sure.  There were certainly lots of people in shorts during the day in all sorts of places (except churches). 

If you want to wear shorts while visiting churches, take a light wrap or pull-on skirt that you can wear to cover your knees when you're there.  I didn't take shorts, and I sorely wished I had, since even lightweight cotton pants were uncomfortable on many days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

I'll go along with Hank on that cos we do get some hot days.

I wear shorts locally on hot days, especially if working outside.

In cities, with shorts you'll look like a tourist. But what the heck -  you'll look like a tourist anyway.

JB :classic_smile:

ps Was going to point out the language difference for "shorts" between the US and the UK. But decided not to - in the hope of causing embarrassment to some unwitting US cruiser :classic_biggrin: 

X3. Hot days  = shorts (even thought with legs like mine I shouldn't).   

I wonder why everyone is so worried about looking like a tourist?  When I'm traveling I am not a local and don't need to try and pretend I'm a local.  I look like a tourist and act like a tourist because I am a tourist.  As long as I don't disrespect local customs, no worries.   

Before retirement I worked at a location in San Francisco that was kind of on a tourist path.  I enjoyed encounters with tourists  and frequently helped folks find a place or get "un-lost".  What they were wearing didn't really matter, but of course, SF is pretty wide open when it comes to dress styles.  😀

• Like 1

Jeans and shorts are no issue.    We were on Corfu for a week this past October.  Saw lots of people in shorts.  Same for Malta.

It really depends on what you want to see.  In Rome, if visiting churches you may want long pants, capris, skirts, whatever else women wear.  You will see shorts...at least we certainly have on our many visits to the city.

Don't even bother to worry about looking like a tourist.  You will be spotted as one regardless of what you wear.  Any why would you especially want to look like a local anyway when you clearly are not??? 

We certainly wore shorts when we were in Kotor, Dubrovnic, Naples/Sorento, and multiple stays in Barcelona.

Edited by iancal

You will find that most of the tourist trap areas around the churches have stalls selling paper leggings to allow church access.  I wore shorts in every city on your list, used the paper leggings/knee covers  in several of the churches.  I actually bought 3 sets at the stall on the corner across from Saint Peters.  I am a 6' 220 lb male. happy cruising

I apologize in advance for this slight detour.  😀

I see British and/or European men wearing these things that are kind of between shorts and pants.  They end about halfway down the calf.   Kind of like baggy capri's for men I guess.   I want a pair of these.  Anyone know what the common name is?  

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I see British and/or European men wearing these things that are kind of between shorts and pants.  They end about halfway down the calf.   Kind of like baggy capri's for men I guess.   I want a pair of these.  Anyone know what the common name is?  

Men'S Capris, you can find a ton of them on Amazon..

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Manpris.  lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I prefer not to stand out, even if I am a tourist. As a solo woman I prefer not to attract attention to myself and that includes by wearing something that others will notice -- such as shorts.

I also do not find shorts to be cooler than lightweight pants, capris or a skirt. The hot sun on bare, exposed skin will heat you up as fast or faster than being a bit more covered. 

Also, for Darren, it is okay to be "naked" in Rome but only if you are also "stone(d)".

Palazzo_Massimo_Rome_013-577x1024.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Could be an unintended consequence of a severe wedgie.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Men'S Capris, you can find a ton of them on Amazon..

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Manpris.  lol.

Thanks!! I got a ton of hits under both those names.  I should be able to get them in time for our next trip later this month!  

51 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Long shorts? Short long trousers? Ex long trousers washed at a very high temperature?

40 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I prefer not to stand out, even if I am a tourist. As a solo woman I prefer not to attract attention to myself and that includes by wearing something that others will notice -- such as shorts.

I also do not find shorts to be cooler than lightweight pants, capris or a skirt. The hot sun on bare, exposed skin will heat you up as fast or faster than being a bit more covered. 

Also, for Darren, it is okay to be "naked" in Rome but only if you are also "stone(d)".

Palazzo_Massimo_Rome_013-577x1024.jpg

Stoned in Rome sounds fun.

• Haha 1