Luggage scales

anniedave

Can someone please tell me if there is somewhere to weigh your luggage on the Reflection, so we can check weight of cases for our flight home. We do have our own at home we could bring,but if there are some onboard it's easier not to. Thanks  in advance for any replies. 

It is difficult to get a weight while at sea as the ships rocking will cause the scale to swing widely.   They do have a floor scale in the Gym but seems it would be a hassle to lug your bags to weigh them.

I purchased a hand weight scale on amazon -  Currently 8.39 and works perfect.   I have been using it for a couple years with no problems.

image.png.a2d8e37a76c21fbca3ece36e7429c022.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We have something similar to Jim-Ian, comes with us on every holiday where we are not flying business!

On board there are personal scales in RS and PH...I don’t know what other rooms have them. One of my first ‘jobs’ on board is to place them in a cupboard out of the way....they can really spoil your appetite!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is difficult to get a weight while at sea as the ships rocking will cause the scale to swing widely.   They do have a floor scale in the Gym but seems it would be a hassle to lug your bags to weigh them.

I purchased a hand weight scale on amazon -  Currently 8.39 and works perfect.   I have been using it for a couple years with no problems.

Have gone through several over the years.  Bought this one a couple of years ago.  Easy to use and works great.  Always bring along a spare battery.

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I purchased something similar in Costco a number of years ago. I take it everywhere we go and it saves the issues at check in. 

We've had a similar hand-held scale for a number of years, ever since an incident flying home from Hawaii. When DW and I were checking in, her bag was a couple of pounds below the limit but mine was a pound or so too heavy. The anal retentive agent insisted that the additional weight be removed from my bag or pay additional fees. We removed items from my bag, put them in DW's, and returned to check-in. The agent re-weighed the bags, only to find that DW's was now just under a half pound too heavy. Not acceptable! Back to the repacking, moving a couple of small items back to my bag and finally, on the third weighing, met the agent's approval. Mahalo!   

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

This is the one I used prior to purchasing the Etekcity model.  The Etelkcity felt easier to attach and lift. 

I've been very happy with my Etelkcity one.   I keep it in my backpack and usually just pull it our prior to a flight to check the weight of our bags.    Sure a lot easier than weighing myself then get on scale with my bag and subtract out the tare weight.  

Out of curiosity I compared it to the airline scale when we checked in at it was spot on. 

The post got me thinking it would make a lot of sense for all cruise ships to have an accessible luggage scale.  But we have ever seen such a thing on any of our cruises.  Like many travelers, we do carry our own small scale which we use to check our luggage weight.

Hank

I’m just curious why your luggage would weigh a different amount on the way home?
We usually purchase a few souvenirs, some t-shirts or coffee mugs, my wife a purse or something, but if our bag weighed 40 pounds on the trip there, it shouldn’t be more than a pound or two more on the way home. Are we not shopping enough lol?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

I’m just curious why your luggage would weigh a different amount on the way home?
We usually purchase a few souvenirs, some t-shirts or coffee mugs, my wife a purse or something, but if our bag weighed 40 pounds on the trip there, it shouldn’t be more than a pound or two more on the way home. Are we not shopping enough lol?

If you come from the U.K. to the US for a cruise your case will definitely weigh more on return!

On hot or wet Florida days there are the malls...I do like Macy’s. Then there are the trainers...much cheaper than the U.K. Not to forget the freebie shower gels and shampoos from your pre and post cruise hotels...you know they will be useful one day.

Then there is the wine, we always buy a couple of nice bottles of Californian at a good price that we can’t even get in the U.K. and it would simply not make sense not to bring back some Southern Comfort...

Last Caribbean cruise we also had freebie dressing gowns to fit in and all the items we bought the last afternoon with our remaining OBC...

Cruising from Southampton this year...no need for scales but less bargains I would think!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Ours still comes with us, even when we do travel business 😄.

We have fond memories of flying business to San Francisco with only two cases between three of us on the way out for a fly drive... I seem to remember the Virgin check in girl saying ‘Is that it?’...

Cruising definitely has more luggage...Even on our lightweight fly drive we did end up checking in a hold all on return with one or two purchases...

Edited by chemmo

1 hour ago, justcrusn said:

We all have different shopping habits..lol. We usually tour a couple of days pre-cruise. We don't buy souvenirs with things written on them.  Sometimes nothing and like last cruise a few things for Christmas gifts. This added quite a bit of weight. Plus if one needs to put a liquor purchase in luggage it sky rockets

2 hours ago, justcrusn said:

At 40 pounds true.  If you're pushing 50 to start with you're on the edge of being over already.  A pound or two makes a difference. 

2 hours ago, justcrusn said:

I use the scale to keep the weight equally distributed between our 2 suitcases and to keep our carry-ons as light as possible on the return trip.  All of our clothes, books (really heavy), shoes, snorkel gear, etc. get lumped together for the trip home.  We will push the checked baggage to 1 pound of the limit.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

We have often purchased a collapsible bag in the ship's store for our return trip home.  We find that between the gifts and alcohol that there is always more to carry back that we brought.  These bags, soft-sided, make a great place for some of our laundry while fragile items get packed in the suit cases surrounded by other clothes.   

My wife has gotten to the point where, after buying three or four of these bags, she packs one in my suitcase to keep from having to buy yet another one. 

It's not been a matter of weight, my airline status gets me up to 70 lbs per bag, but more a matter of getting everything to fit!