CBD oil

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

However, I would imagine there are ways to disguise these, like there are ways to disguise booze.

At least until the dog sniffs you, and you end up in a non-US prison.

NOT a good idea.

• Like 4

getting caught with this in a country out of the US could be HUGE issues .....

technically taking out of the state where you get it is illegal as federal law proscribes such transport  for individuals. Airports are putting special disposal bins because you can't fly with it . . . 

6 minutes ago, SRF said:

At least until the dog sniffs you, and you end up in a non-US prison.

NOT a good idea.

the level of terpenes in hemp extracted CBD oil is so low that drug sniffing dogs will not react to it in most cases.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

the level of terpenes in hemp extracted CBD oil is so low that drug sniffing dogs will not react to it in most cases.

Are you willing to bet your freedom on that?  And get to experience a foreign prison for a few years?

6 minutes ago, SRF said:

Are you willing to bet your freedom on that?  And get to experience a foreign prison for a few years?

How far out do you want to take that extreme. Educate yourself on CBD oil.

• Like 2

CBD oil containing less than 0.3 percent THC is legal at a federal level in the US, and the TSA has updated their policy to allow travel with the federally legal CBD products.

It is, however, against RCIs policy to bring CBD products onto their ships.

The thing is the CBD industry is still in its infancy and isn't the most regulated. Similar to other supplements. The companies tell you what's in it, but there's no government regulator body doing inspections to ensure that's the case. You're essentially putting your faith in a mostly unregulated company to ensure that levels are at a level that's undetectable by drug sniffing dogs. (And I'm honestly not even sure if there's any CBD company saying that a dog can't sniff out their products.) I don't have that much faith personally! 

• Like 1

Just now, goldfish65 said:

I would not underestimate the sensitivity of a dog’s sense of smell!

CBD isolate extract from hemp which contains 0.00% THC has no smell.     My mind goes back to the grandmother at Disney though who was arrested for legal CBD and their whole family vacation ruined.   Im not willing to take the risk.      

• Like 3

Lots of good info on this post. I've done a lot of studying on CBD and am a credentialed drug and alcohol counselor in my state. I also work closely with law enforcement agencies and discuss this stuff regularly.

As pointed out, CBD technically can have up to 0.3% THC. There are companies that provide the information from testing by independent laboratories that can show the THC percentage. It is possible to get CBD that has 0% THC, but not foolproof.

Drug sniffing dogs typically smell marijuana because they're trained to hit on typical smells from marijuana, which are usually produced by terpenes. The terpenes are typically what people use certain types of CBD oil for - the terpenes are suspected to have medicinal properties. So yes, a drug sniffing dog could hit on CBD oil because of the terpenes.

Having said all of that, many police jurisdictions are working on training new drug detection dogs who will not hit on marijuana because of the changes in laws at state levels and the decriminalization of marijuana. Drug dogs on a federal level have not been replaced with non-marijuana-sniffing-dogs as far as I know. 

It is likely not worth the risk for most of us. If someone chooses to bring CBD on board, I would strongly suggest not taking it off the ship at ports or through customs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some countries that like to make a show of catching an American with "drugs".  Now you and I may know the difference between drugs and CBD but a country like Bermuda may not have relaxed their laws yet.  Bermuda in particular has been know to bust people for a single joint which is actually "drugs" but the process that follows would make you think grandma is a drug trafficker.   

They've actually boarded ships with drug dogs and searched rooms.  That's all perfectly legal, when a ship is in their port its under their jurisdiction.   

Hopefully the world will settle down and figure out what CBD is but cruise ships are a form of international travel and you need to understand what each country could do should you find yourself on the wrong side of their laws.

Bermuda actually isn't bad, they allow up 1% THC in CBD.    Research every country you will visit then decide and travel informed.  

• Like 1

I honestly think you’ll be fine.  Just keep it on your carryon.  There are quite a few people who bring marijuana onboard.  You will not be thrown in prison for CBD.  Worse case they just take it from you.  The ones telling you that drug dogs, etc. are the same who complain about smoking and would turn you in a heartbeat if they saw you doing it.  Now I have to put on my flame retardant suit 🤣

• Thanks 1

They were selling CBD creams, oils and tinctures at Kohls (department store) over the holidays! :classic_tongue:

That said, there was a recent article that it is not allowed onboard. Under the 2019 Farm Bill, cultivation of hemp is legal in all 50 states. I don't know what the CBD status is though. What do they expect them to do with all of that hemp? 

Edited by Coralc

This list was Posted on the Box Fan thread.

Prohibited items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • CBD Oil / CBD Products
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • Perishable Food & Meat Products
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Exceptions can be made for the following sporting goods; however, the item must be stored in the guest’s stateroom and cannot be used onboard.

• Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, and Golf clubs
  • Skateboards, Surfboards, and Bicycles

While as noted by others that detection may be difficult for law enforcement or the crew, RCI ships are flagged in the Bahamas, and therefore, their laws apply onboard, even when in US ports (the overlapping jurisdiction in US ports does not preclude Bahamian law being dominant for the legality of these products), and the Bahamas makes all CBD products illegal, and the Captain is the legal representative of the Bahamas on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, James4me said:

I honestly think you’ll be fine.  Just keep it on your carryon.  There are quite a few people who bring marijuana onboard.  You will not be thrown in prison for CBD.  Worse case they just take it from you.  The ones telling you that drug dogs, etc. are the same who complain about smoking and would turn you in a heartbeat if they saw you doing it.  Now I have to put on my flame retardant suit 🤣

You THINK so????

People can and do what they want.  But if you spend some time searching, you will find articles about people who have learned the hard way that how the US treats something or someone is not the same in another country.

I don't if any given drug dog will sniff you out.  But, you cannot say for sure that they will not.

Up to the individual.  But don't come crying when it goes wrong and you end up in a bad situation.

And remember, even some over the counter drugs are illegal in some countries.   And their laws can be as weird as some of ours.

I am in Doha, Qatar right now.  If you try to bring alcohol into the country, you could be arrested.  And the xray EVERY bag brought in, even your carry on.   But, you can get a drink in most restaurants, and my hotel has a bar. 

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, waxing witch said:

Lots of good info on this post. I've done a lot of studying on CBD and am a credentialed drug and alcohol counselor in my state. I also work closely with law enforcement agencies and discuss this stuff regularly.

As pointed out, CBD technically can have up to 0.3% THC. There are companies that provide the information from testing by independent laboratories that can show the THC percentage. It is possible to get CBD that has 0% THC, but not foolproof.

The question is, do they test every batch?  Like the drug companies have to do?  

Or did they test ONE batch, and rely on, well, we make it the same way, so it SHOULD be the same?

Many variables.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

The question is, do they test every batch?  Like the drug companies have to do?  

Or did they test ONE batch, and rely on, well, we make it the same way, so it SHOULD be the same?

Many variables.

Many of the most reputable companies I’ve found test every batch. But unless you do your own research, it’s hard to know. Many smoke and vape shops sell CBD now and don’t always know what they’re talking about. They’re just shop employees, not experts. It’s a large and unregulated industry for now. 

I use CBD oil for anxiety. Packed it on my recent NCL cruise to Bermuda without any problems. According to all the above posts, I guess I'll have to leave it at home and pray I don't have any anxiety on my upcoming cruise.:classic_rolleyes: