How to know you are old

tonyd285

40 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Living in Bethlehem New Hampshire, we had crank phones until the early sixties and our number was 125 and my grand parents had 25 which you had to tell the operator. The first three digits of my social security number are 002.

Hal

The first 3 digits of your SS number identify the location (State) of the Social Security office where your card was number was issued. 😊

I found out how old I really am by watching the Grammies last night. "Who's that? That's music? I can't understand the words."

I decided I need to change my radio station one day a week from NPR to some current music channel just to broaden my musical horizon a bit!

• Like 3

...if you remember watching cigarette ads.

All the cigarette commercials had fun jingles or slogans to help everyone pay no attention to the fact that they were killing themselves. Wm Tell Overture: Have a Lark, have a Lark, have a Lark today....    "I'd rather fight than switch"

"Winston tastes good like a cigarette should!"

Yikes! Ban began Jan 2, 1971.  You 46 year olds are in another era!

Edited by mayleeman

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

All the cigarette commercials had fun jingles or slogans to help everyone pay no attention to the fact that they were killing themselves. Wm Tell Overture: Have a Lark, have a Lark, have a Lark today....    "I'd rather fight than switch"

I remember cigarette ads saying "more doctors smoke ______________,than any other brand."  With a picture of a "doctor" in a white coat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mafig said:

I remember cigarette ads saying "more doctors smoke ______________,than any other brand."  With a picture of a "doctor" in a white coat.

And then there was the Winston cigarette slogan, "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should". 

• Haha 1

I can remember the Marlboro man smoking on television.

Plus the Cisco Kid and Pancho, The Red Skeleton Show, the 64,000 question game show  and The Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday nights.

Edited by cruise47
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

The Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday nights

Loved The Union Gap in their Civil War - based uniforms (these are psychedic green)!

https://retronewser.com/2018/05/12/gary-puckett-the-union-gap-performs-on-the-ed-sullivan-show-50-years-ago-tonight-may-12-1968/

Edited by mayleeman

9 hours ago, mayleeman said:

You missed my favorite.  “LSMFT - Lucky Strike means fine tobacco”

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2020 at 10:58 PM, cgolf1 said:

I am 46 and remember having a black and white tv, tube stereo, rotary dial phones, and I owned many records. We even had a car with an 8 track. Remember reel to reel projectors and slides. I really think we are living in a cool time period where technology has exploded. 

But my big moment of feeling old was hiring people the same age as my daughter at work. That messed with me a bit. So even at 46 I feel old many days. 

Just wait until you are hiring people younger than your daughter. That's where I am. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Tony"=Toni perms? How about that first plastic shampoo bottle that bounced in the shower? Plop plop fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is. Buckle up for safety, buckle up. Your change in the store was counted out to you and you had learned to make change in grade one. "$9.51 out of 20, that's 2,3,4,5, two dimes 65, 75, a quarter makes 10, and 10 is 20!" Your first zip code. Two mail deliveries a day except Saturday. Mary Janes(the candy not a plant...). Ladies, "it's snowing down south." Gentlemen tipping their hats. Heck, men taking their hats Off indoors! Mothballs. And when was the last time a teenager invited another on a snipe hunt? (That may have been local to rural WV though)
This is fun but I'm old and have to go to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Wonderful  posts. I love a walk down memory lane from time to time! I am not yet in my dotting years- but can remember midnight buffets very well. Wonderful to look at- great atmosphere when you entered the dinning room first to take pictures- walk right through- out again- and then back for actually eat something- which i never did- after a late seating dinner and right before bedtime- not a good idea- even in my 30s!

Also I remember casual night, semi formal and formal- with RCI! Semi formal meant jacket - tie optional.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zauberflote said:

"Tony"=Toni perms? ...

And when was the last time a teenager invited another on a snipe hunt? (That may have been local to rural WV though)

OK  --  your entire list was great...

I started truly laughing w/ the Toni Perm & spit my water out w/ the snipe hunt 🙂

We were huge on Snipe Hunts...

As a family we have continued introducing all new members to the Snipe Species 🙂

• Like 1

55 years since this:

Meet the Swinger,

Polaroid Swinger,

Meet the Swinger,

Polaroid Swinger,

More than a camera

It's almost alive,

And it's only nineteen dollars

and ninety-five!

Swing it up,  yeah yeah

It says "Yes", yeah yeah