How to know you are old

tonyd285

Tubes and CRTs in TV's and tubes in radios. 

Ahhh yes! Takes the thing a little while to warm up! Then we went to flat screen and it was POW! On! Then we went to smart tvs, and the several that I've experienced have to warm, er, boot up. Such progress!
Pin curls. Garter belts. We have also come full circle on brassieres. My mother had foam cones to insert. Now you can hardly get one not made of foam. Such progress!
Poodle skirts! RECESS at school! All the way to jr high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm def old. on christmas cruise i made convo with a nice woman regarding her shopping excursions etc and later ran into her to ask her how it all went. she stopped and chatted with me and my gf and admitted she was tipsy. which im' assuming emboldened her to look at my gf and point to me and say  'are you boo or the father?"  had i had my wits about me, i would have responded in my maury voice 'i am not the father' but alas...missed opportunity. i guess i do look 18 years older or she looks 18 younger. 

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2020 at 11:41 PM, Denny01 said:

Beaver Clever was a Funny ‘50’s-early 60’s TV program of the classic family. Mother was at home; Dad worked; kids were all fun and so on.

I went to college with Jerry Mathers (The Beaver) at California Lutheran College in 1968. That alone makes me feel old.

You know you are old when everyone on a HAL cruise seems  younger than you. LOL

When I was 15, I had a Honda 90 motorcycle that held about one gallon of gas and when I filled it up I had to use a full service attendant and I would fill it for a dime. I had an after school job too that paid $.25 an hour. This makes feel old.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:58 AM, cgolf1 said:

I am 46 and remember having a black and white tv, tube stereo, rotary dial phones, and I owned many records. We even had a car with an 8 track. Remember reel to reel projectors and slides. I really think we are living in a cool time period where technology has exploded. 

But my big moment of feeling old was hiring people the same age as my daughter at work. That messed with me a bit. So even at 46 I feel old many days. 

Yes, even more so when you’re around that age and the kids at school still ask if you were evacuated during World War II 🙈.

8 minutes ago, villauk said:

Yes, even more so when you’re around that age and the kids at school still ask if you were evacuated during World War II 🙈.

Take comfort in the fact that most young (5-9 year olds) kids have absolutely no concept of age. My first year teaching (second grade) I was 21 and asked the kids to guess my age. I got answers ranging anywhere from 17-72!

• Haha 2

You know you are old when :

You remember your first date but not her name .

You go to a drive-in movie and watch the movie.

You remember Elvis when he was on the tv show Stage Show ( Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey ) .

You remember when pizza was called " pizza pie ".

You know what " necking " was .

You still watch the The Honeymooners on a disc player .

You think sustainability means setting drive control at 72 kph.

Memories and chocolate are real good.

OK, I just can’t keep away from joining in on the “how do we know we are old” so here are the ‘signposts’ of my journey: 

- HopAlong Cassidy radio show and movie shorts. 70yrs ago.

- First TV I saw: Neighbor lady’s TV had a huge magnifying glass in front of the screen - it had a green glow. 70yrs ago.

- Listened to the radio of the last broadcasts from Budapest as the Russian tanks rolled in. 64yrs ago

- Family listened to the Democratic Convention and a southern Senator pronounced it “The Democratic Potty”, we kids sat and giggled. 60yrs ago. 

- Missed HS classes when I came down with the ‘Space Flu’, i.e. stayed home to watch the Mercury 7 launches. 59yrs ago.

- Sitting In college lunchroom and TV came on reporting the President was shot and died. 57yrs ago.

The good and bad times.....but our times. 

Den

On 1/26/2020 at 10:58 PM, cgolf1 said:

I am 46 and remember having a black and white tv, tube stereo, rotary dial phones, and I owned many records. We even had a car with an 8 track. Remember reel to reel projectors and slides. I really think we are living in a cool time period where technology has exploded. 

But my big moment of feeling old was hiring people the same age as my daughter at work. That messed with me a bit. So even at 46 I feel old many days. 

First time I felt that I was on the wrong side of the “old” dividing line when a co-worker was talking about her mother’s birthday and she revealed that her mother was several years younger than I was.  I knew she was younger, but her MOTHER too!  OMG!  Not what I wanted to hear.

I’m not old.  I’ve just lived for a long time. 🤣. I’m 72 going on 22 (have to stay above the drinking age 😝 ).  I don’t keep up much with current pop music, though I often look up songs I hear in passing.  My preference is contemporary rock.  Rock has always been my preference.  The “oldies” (and at my age that covers a lot of inventory!) are fine to switch up, but I really like the new stuff. 

I love learning new things, discovering and exploring.  Cruising works for that in a more comfortable manner than car travel.  I’m definitely in the comfort is key age 😁

So my body isn’t cooperating, but I’m not getting old.  I love my tech.  When something new comes along, I check it out.  Some things are extremely interesting, and others not so much.  I really think continuing to learn and to keep your mind open is the key to not getting old.  Don’t worry about the number just keep moving forward.  Visit the past, but don’t live there.

The only thing I miss is civility.  That seems to be getting more allusive these days.  Not sure why, but I do find it somewhat sad. 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 3:53 PM, cruise47 said:

I can remember the Marlboro man smoking on television.

Plus the Cisco Kid and Pancho, The Red Skeleton Show, the 64,000 question game show  and The Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday nights.

And that Marlboro Man is playing a grandfather on Blue Bloods!

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

S&H Green Stamps ... Gas at $0.25 a gallon. 

THOSE were a PITA. every time i pumped the old farts gas he just had to remind me ' where's the stamps' was ralphy and elva and they still left an impression on my decades later, i'm scarred for life. 

I once made up a list of when my kids are to take me out in the backyard and bury me alive:

1. I sit and complain about paying school taxes: “Heck I don’t have any kids in school, why do I have to pay for them!?!?”

2. I sit with people and describe my ailments, listen to them list theirs, then we all do another round or two.

3. I even mention the term: “Back in the Good Old Days”

4. I badmouth the modern music and talk about the great stuff in my time - Ooops, we dropped that one, my kids do that too!!

5. I sit around talking about what I want to do or where I want to go and see........and never do it.

6. I say: “No, I want to stay home and sit here yelling at the TV”.

......try your list!

Den

@Denny01 I don't have that list yet. My kids seem to accept us as we are...and my being tech and auto savvier than your average 68-yr-old sure helps!

Doctors made house calls

Penicillin came in shots not "the pink stuff", liquid or pill version, and the needles were about 7" long and 1/4" diameter! I am SO THANKFUL for single-use needles! And the "Tylenol Scare" was far far in the future....