How to know you are old

tonyd285

26 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

You are old if you can remember the 45 & 33 1/3 records. Plus, Black & White television’s.

I'm an Xennial and I remember all of those things well! I think we're all going to have to stop bitching about Milennials and start hating on Gen Z soon! 😉

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

For the benefit of those of us abroad who don’t get the cultural reference could you explain who or what Beaver Cleaver is please? Thanks.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

That really could have gone a different direction for those who had never heard that name before. Glad you cleared that up.

The thing that is making me start to feel old (other than the body constantly reminding me) is that I just can't seem to find any music that appeals to me that I haven't heard way too many times before. Old stuff from my earlier days has become too familiar and repetitive and the a lot of new stuff is just uninteresting.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why, but every time I look in a mirror an older lady is in front of me. Sometimes I'll catch a glimpse of her in the reflection of a store window!  I'm not sure who she is or why she's there but she'll have to keep up with this 63 yr old that's all of 18 inside. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

By the way, when I hear about “back in the good ole days”, I tell that person I get to pick who they’d be, and where they’d live and it wouldn’t be living next door to Beaver Cleaver (that aged me right there) and they might not consider it the ‘good ole days’.

Den

Truer words were never spoke.  Thanks!

Harris

Denver, CO

7 hours ago, cruise47 said:

You are old if you can remember the 45 & 33 1/3 records. Plus, Black & White television’s.

I am 46 and remember having a black and white tv, tube stereo, rotary dial phones, and I owned many records. We even had a car with an 8 track. Remember reel to reel projectors and slides. I really think we are living in a cool time period where technology has exploded. 

But my big moment of feeling old was hiring people the same age as my daughter at work. That messed with me a bit. So even at 46 I feel old many days. 

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

But my big moment of feeling old was hiring people the same age as my daughter at work. That messed with me a bit. So even at 46 I feel old many days. 

You know the time has come when co-workers talk about they parents going to the same concerts or going to college at the same time you did....or the coup de grace, "my parents are not quite as old as you, but they like the same things you do"🤨

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

At 51 so I am in the youth of old age- and thankfull for it- as one so apptly wrote- not everybody is blessed to get even there!

Okay- if looking into a mirrow- I have to admit- the reflection changed a bit- but who care´s.

When i mention an old singer or a band an old song from the 80´s and the young girls in our office look at me with wide eyes- and have no idea about whom I am talking that does not exatly make me feel old!

Only  how quick the time has passed since I listened to said music with my hair all dark and in the style of the time...! Well the hair is still there in all it´s glory  but the color has changed dramaticly! Hilarious!

Edited by Germancruiser

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

For the benefit of those of us abroad who don’t get the cultural reference could you explain who or what Beaver Cleaver is please? Thanks.

Beaver Clever was a Funny ‘50’s-early 60’s TV program of the classic family. Mother was at home; Dad worked; kids were all fun and so on. The perfect idealized middle-class life. Al white; all middle-class. No issues except funny mishaps with friends and parents. So I bring that up because when people talk about ‘The Good Ole Days’, they see themselves living in that ‘perfect’ life. I’d pick a life for them which is not in that ‘perfect’ life and suggest they might see things a bit different if they weren’t white and middle class living in a nice, comfortable world. 

That’s what I meant. 

Den

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I am 46 and remember having a black and white tv, tube stereo, rotary dial phones, and I owned many records. We even had a car with an 8 track. Remember reel to reel projectors and slides. I really think we are living in a cool time period where technology has exploded. 

And you have just messed with my head😊.

You are young enough to be my child (same age as my son), but I don't think I'm that old yet.

Cheers, heather 🥂.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Beaver Clever was a Funny ‘50’s-early 60’s TV program of the classic family. Mother was at home; Dad worked; kids were all fun and so on. The perfect idealized middle-class life. Al white; all middle-class. No issues except funny mishaps with friends and parents. So I bring that up because when people talk about ‘The Good Ole Days’, they see themselves living in that ‘perfect’ life. I’d pick a life for them which is not in that ‘perfect’ life and suggest they might see things a bit different if they weren’t white and middle class living in a nice, comfortable world. 

That’s what I meant. 

Den

Thanks for explaining. We get (and have always had) a lot of TV programmes from the US here but that was not one of them.

19 hours ago, tonyd285 said:

My beautiful blonde and I were on the Infinity earlier this month.  Sitting in the Sky Observation Lounge during the Elite cocktail time.the recorded music played a song and she asked "that sounds familiar."  Without even thinking i replied "that's the Glenn Miller Orchestra playing Perfidia."  At that moment I knew I was really old.  I guess that's why we now seem to prefer cruises to other vacation

I know what you mean.

I am 72 and still most fond of the music of the 60s.  I find most of the music today to be awful.  There are a few exceptions, such as Adele.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Beaver Clever was a Funny ‘50’s-early 60’s TV program of the classic family. Mother was at home; Dad worked; kids were all fun and so on.

I went to college with Jerry Mathers (The Beaver) at California Lutheran College in 1968. That alone makes me feel old.

You know you are old when everyone on a HAL cruise seems  younger than you. LOL

• Haha 1

Some of us remembers names/ sayings that identified products: Charly, speedy, tony, spicy meatball, where’s the beef, see the USA. Just add more as/if you remember more.

I do remember dressing every night on a cruise and when the stated formal it was tuxedo and gowns. Servers wore white gloves(Hal) and you had a choice of either early or late seating. There were chocolate displays and the infamous midnight stuffing.

Hal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, cruise47 said:

We remember all those records as well as 78 records from our childhood and teen years. In our early married years, we thought we were really modern with 4-tracks and then cassettes before CD's. 

Do I remember black and white TV? I remember when there was no TV, only radio in our house. When my parents finally bought a black and white TV, it only had 2 or three stations that signed off every night. Hubby and I started our married life with a gifted black and white TV even though color was starting to become common. We can also remember the history of home video recorders and the different types of tapes/discs on which we recorded. Dad even had a movie camera and projection system that used reel to reel tapes.

I remember bread and milk being delivered to our house when I was a child.  Telephones had dials and were on cords attached to the wall, and we had a party-line in my parent's home. Then there was the clothesline in the back yard, no dishwashers, etc. 

I think I'll stop before I really feel old. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Edited by Glendakayself
  • Like 3

Living in Bethlehem New Hampshire, we had crank phones until the early sixties and our number was 125 and my grand parents had 25 which you had to tell the operator. The first three digits of my social security number are 002.

Hal