Why Tip at the Beginning of a Cruise?

GRBlizz

In these tipping threads, I've read that several people give some or all of their "extra" tip at the beginning of a cruise. We have always done it at the end. I can see the rationale of pre-tipping bar staff, so you may stand out in the crowd and get better service. But why a cabin attendant or waiter? I have always found their service to be excellent and well worth extra tipping at the end. Is there a value to the crew member or to us if we give part of it up front (assuming same overall extra tip)?

It's almost always a bribe. "I'm taking care of you so you take care of me."  I've never been convinced that it really works as intended because service levels on Celebrity are generally very good already.  The only "reason" I buy is if someone is making special requests and they're tipping for the extra effort.

In an earlier life, I worked in hotels and always resented the notion that I was to treat someone better just because they were flashing cash.  I'm an egalitarian, I guess.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 15

On one of our first cruises DH handed the Cabin Attendant a tip on the 1st day.  He politely handed it back and said something to the effect of I haven’t earned this, if at the end of your trip You are happy with my service I will be proud and appreciate you generous gift.

We never again attempted to tipped at the start of a cruise.

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

It's almost always a bribe. "I'm taking care of you so you take care of me."  I've never been convinced that it really works as intended because service levels on Celebrity are generally very good already.  The only "reason" I buy is if someone is making special requests and they're tipping for the extra effort.

In an earlier life, I worked in hotels and always resented the notion that I was to treat someone better just because they were flashing cash.  I'm an egalitarian, I guess.

I would tend to agree with you. Bribes dont always work. 

• Like 1

I tip the first day at the Martini Bar and am happy to report that this tip i.e. bribe gets me excellent service for the rest of the cruise when I tip again. Not to be a wise guy but I usually have my drinks while others are frustrated waiting and cannot understand why they are waiting so long.

Is it fair? -I don't know. I just know that I never have to wait for a drink.

• Like 7

We NEVER have tipped at the start of a cruise.  We also do not believe in "bribery".  We have always received excellent service on Celebrity and almost always tip extra at the end of a cruise only.  WE do not frequent the martini bar, but do understand why people would tip daily at a place like that, so that the bartender would remember them and have their drinks ready.  That would be an exception to our rule for us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, morfred said:

I tip the first day at the Martini Bar and am happy to report that this tip i.e. bribe gets me excellent service for the rest of the cruise when I tip again. Not to be a wise guy but I usually have my drinks while others are frustrated waiting and cannot understand why they are waiting so long.

It can also come down to "bar presence".  I don't usually tip extra (and never before service) and generally get served quickly at a busy bar, a friend of mine almost always struggles. 

I worked for several years in bars when I was a student in the UK.  Bribery will not work in a busy bar it upsets others and they get annoyed at the bartender for allowing others to push in.  Good friendly eye contact, an assertive focused presence and small gestures to get yourself noticed - when a bartender is looking for the next person to serve, and you know the person next to you is next , draw that fact to the attention of the bartender, you'll be thanked by your neighbour and it's an almost certainty you'll be served next. 

I've also found that if you usually have the same drink the good bar staff anticipate it.  After a couple of days on our last cruise the barstaff knew my preprandial was a Negroni and would ask as soon as I was spotted.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

It's almost always a bribe.

On board yes, but we pre pay tips via our booking and then pay no more.

This year we have them included in our booking as we are sailing from Southampton ( I believe Australians do as well, as it is not in their culture to tip either). I think Celebrity are finding this is the way forward, passengers can’t then remove tips.

I think the pay structure should be looked at, as no one would tip a teacher or lawyer!

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 2

When the cabin steward comes to introduce him/herself on that first day, we always, always hand over our "extra" tip. We joke that this is not a bribe, adding that ready cash might come in handy for them to call home at the next stop. (They do not always have full communication/internet access on board.) At least, without a charge. And I've been told by some crew members that they've already safely put away any tip cash from the previous cruise.

Anyway, the tip is always graciously accepted. For the duration, ice (our only request) is reliably delivered every day. Throughout the cruise, we see how hard these folks have to work. We like to let them know at the outset, that they are appreciated. For us, the "tip at the beginning" system works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! DYKWIS -I am impressed. I had never heard the word "preprandial" and just looked it up. I will be using that in the future and and I am looking forward to the blank stares that I get. Thanks for the word-I learn something new every day. ps I know it's a great word when my spellcheck keeps telling me it's wrong

• Like 2

I only tip at the end of the cruise and never received anything less than attentive service.  I also don't tip before hair cuts, car washes, taxi rides or dining out.   I do present the crew members with a nice hand written thank you and further gratuities when appropriate.

I recently looked up to the Origin of Tipping - 

The custom originated in Europe, and while its history is not entirely clear, it is commonly traced back to 17th century England. The word "tip" is speculated to be an acronym for "To Insure Promptitude," which was printed on bowls in British coffeehouses.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

While I agree 'bribery' doesn't always work, I'm a big fan of 'bribery'. Over my career a couple of companies 'bribed' me to switch to their firms. The cash was bank account before I supplied any of my superior (😉) service to them. 

OP, it's your money, you decide whether you want to pre-tip or not. We did it once when our three teenage boys were in one cabin. In that case I gave the room steward some cash up front because I knew he would have his handful with those three. Some might call that a bribe, I called it DANGER PAY!

Have a great pre or post tip cruise. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 3

the only cruise I have been on was summit last year. I wanted it to be special for my wife. It was our first cruise so I booked a suite. I wanted top notch service from our butler to take care of my wife. I tipped him 100 upfront. He did nothing for us. We asked him if he could bring us coffee every morning at 7. He told us we needed to fill out the room service card every night for that. And we never saw him the rest of the cruise. This year my tipping strategy will be different.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, trucker den said:

the only cruise I have been on was summit last year. I wanted it to be special for my wife. It was our first cruise so I booked a suite. I wanted top notch service from our butler to take care of my wife. I tipped him 100 upfront. He did nothing for us. We asked him if he could bring us coffee every morning at 7. He told us we needed to fill out the room service card every night for that. And we never saw him the rest of the cruise. This year my tipping strategy will be different.

I am so sorry to hear that and it too late now, but you should have reported him to the Hotel Manager.  That is definitely not the kind of service that Celebrity expects their butlers to provide.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

I am so sorry to hear that and it too late now, but you should have reported him to the Hotel Manager.  That is definitely not the kind of service that Celebrity expects their butlers to provide.  

I am easy going and not a fancy man. So it didn,t really bother me. I just wanted my wife pampered. I am not a complainer. especially since they work for slave labor wages. You live and learn. This year I will tip at the end.

Edited by trucker den
  • Like 2

We have always paid the required tips and then tipped extra at the end as well, taken the time to get to know our stewards and treated them with respect. We always say "please and thank you" and often fill out mid cruise comment cards praising staff who warranted it.  We have always had exemplary service on X. I cannot imagine what better service could have been provided had we tipped at the beginning of the cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, morfred said:

So you are the one that makes me wait.  Being ignored makes me NEVER extra tip bartenders so maybe taking care of everyone properly would be in their financial best interest.

• Like 1

In my opinion, I think this subject has been beaten to death.

Tipping before, during and after is a personal choice.

Inquiring others about when and how they tip is just as crass as asking someone how they voted.

It's your money, do as you please.

• Like 8

The exception to the belief that pre service tipping (aka bribery) does not yield results is in the seating dealings with the maitre d'.  Where and when you are seated can well depend on the successful transfer of cash especially in very limited availability. 

34 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We have always paid the required tips and then tipped extra at the end as well, taken the time to get to know our stewards and treated them with respect. We always say "please and thank you" and often fill out mid cruise comment cards praising staff who warranted it.  We have always had exemplary service on X. I cannot imagine what better service could have been provided had we tipped at the beginning of the cruise.

Excellent ! We do the same ( treat staff with respect, please and thank you  ), and am happy to give an extra gratuity .  

You won't find me in " that line " at Guest Relations " wimping out " of the automatic gratuities on the first day or even worse the last day.   Some people are just not as nice as others. Never mind that expression " Treat people the way you want to be treated ".  Treat them the way they deserve to be treated.

• Like 2