RCL Share Price

Moby Jones

I personally would not buy a single company stock right now as too risky if they go out of business.  But possibly travel-sector mutual funds or ETF's leveraged across many stocks might be a way to take advantage of low prices while minimizing some of the risks.  I am not in any way an investment professional or adviser so please do not take this as any type of rational advice!  It is just my opinion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

If you want them to get back on their feet how about going back on board WITHOUT asking for an extra here and an extra there?!

You would hope the stockholders would do their part to help the company 'post corona virus'.

I think most companies will survive if we can get through this fairly quick.  If it becomes a slow elongated recovery, then many companies will at a minimum be in bankruptcy reorganization or for smaller businesses  out of business.

I am hoping for the former.  

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I was waiting for the first expert finger pointers...

You do realize that RF and LLP merely did what shareholders (so probably you and me) expected them to do and applauded by driving the share price higher and higher. As long as it worked we were all happy and full of praise. In this unpredictable situation it´s: they should have done differently... 

That may have been your position, and I certainly observed some shareholders on this board who were super keen every time a cost was cut (damaging the customer experience), or some new revenue opportunity taken advantage of.

However, it certainly wasn't the case for every shareholder.

Basically they just did what they thought was in their own best interest - nothing to do with what shareholders expected them to do.

39 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

If you want them to get back on their feet how about going back on board WITHOUT asking for an extra here and an extra there?!

Thanks, but I don't have corporate worship running through my veins.

The hundreds of thousands of dollars that I have put in cruise line pockets over the years that they foolishly squandered on ill fated plans is enough, thank you very much.

They made their bed and I'm not going to sleep in it to try to rescue them.

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

Thanks, but I don't have corporate worship running through my veins.

The hundreds of thousands of dollars that I have put in cruise line pockets over the years that they foolishly squandered on ill fated plans is enough, thank you very much.

They made their bed and I'm not going to sleep in it to try to rescue them.

You would not have spent "hundreds of thousands of dollars" had you not enjoyed the cruises that money bought you.

You pay for a cruise, you get a cruise. If you don´t like the cruise you get, don´t pay for another one. It´s as simple as that. I don´t understand why people think any line owes them anything.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

You would not have spent "hundreds of thousands of dollars" had you not enjoyed the cruises that money bought you.

You pay for a cruise, you get a cruise. If you don´t like the cruise you get, don´t pay for another one. It´s as simple as that. I don´t understand why people think any line owes them anything.

I think they owe me what they have promised.  No more, no less.  Including the "extra here and extra there" that you deride.

We bought a bit of stock today. Even if there is bankruptcy/reorganization and the dividend is impacted for a time...we expect the industry to survive.

We bought several other attractive stocks ... for some industries and companies--this could be a generational opportunity. It may not make a big difference for us in short term--yet may make a nice difference for our adult kids and future grands

Not a defender of Fain, and certainly not LLP but curious how many of the financial "experts" on this board condemning dividends and buybacks have ever taken a look at RCL's financials. 

Over the past five years RCL generated roughly $13B in free cash flow.  $10B was used to add to or upgrade their fleet with only $2B going to dividends and $1B to buybacks.  The majority of the funding for the $10B in capital expenses came from equity, not debt which only grew $3.5B thereby reducing the company's financial leverage.  After investing substantially to grow the business have no problem with RCL returning excess $3B to stockholders.  It  is after all their company.

Corona shutdown was an unprecedented event.  Unfair to demand RCL should have anticipated it when no other company (or government) appears to have done so.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Not a defender of Fain, and certainly not LLP but curious how many of the financial "experts" on this board condemning dividends and buybacks have ever taken a look at RCL's financials. 

Don‘t ruin it with facts... 😂

My wife and I sailed on the Silhouette to Aruba in December 2019 just before the ship went in for it's upgrade.  We were very impressed with the product (clean, elegant ship, excellent officers and crew, good food & drink and entertainment geared to their clientele).

As an investor I saw a well run operation that people were eager to purchase again and again.

When we sailed RCL stock was $135 a share.  Today, more or less on a whim I bought 115 shares at $21.60.  My expectation is that the Corona-19 virus panic will subside, RCL ships will resume sailing in April or May and the company will meet it's debt obligations rather than go bankrupt.

I expect that in 12 or 18 months I'll have turned $2485 into $7,500 to $10,000 and enjoyed several free $100 OBC bonuses afforded to those who own 100 or more shares of RCL stock.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wolf 8 said:

My wife and I sailed on the Silhouette to Aruba in December 2019 just before the ship went in for it's upgrade.  We were very impressed with the product (clean, elegant ship, excellent officers and crew, good food & drink and entertainment geared to their clientele).

As an investor I saw a well run operation that people were eager to purchase again and again.

When we sailed RCL stock was $135 a share.  Today, more or less on a whim I bought 115 shares at $21.60.  My expectation is that the Corona-19 virus panic will subside, RCL ships will resume sailing in April or May and the company will meet it's debt obligations rather than go bankrupt.

I expect that in 12 or 18 months I'll have turned $2485 into $7,500 to $10,000 and enjoyed several free $100 OBC bonuses afforded to those who own 100 or more shares of RCL stock.

I wouldn’t spend that money just yet. Awfully optimistic. The bottom isn’t here yet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wolf 8 said:

The ships will not be sailing in April or May.  

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I wouldn’t spend that money just yet. Awfully optimistic. The bottom isn’t here yet.

I'm patient and it was just lunch money.  Maybe RCL will drop to $5, I don't know.  But I'm confident that the actual value of RCL's mega-ships, infrastructure and intangibles will eventually again be reflected in their stock price. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wolf 8 said:

I agree with the above. So much so that I also have purchased 200 shares over the past week. The lowest price I paid was $22 per share. I am betting that most, if not all of the cruise companies will come back slowly. I can wait. In the interim, I can utilize the savings per cruise since we use RCL and Celebrity quite a bit. 

I had actually been watching the stock for the past two years since speaking to an older cruiser on one of our trips. She had purchased her stock in the early years when it was low and kept it to get the OBC’s. I held off buying due to the price at the time so now with it getting to the 
$20’s, I decided it was time to _____ or get off the pot. That being said, I used money that was in a bank account and not doing much for me. I am only expecting a return on my investment through OBC for now and if the price goes up, so much the better. No one should invest money that they cannot afford to lose.

Another boost for the stock could come from the government if a ‘bail-out” is given. There has already been talk about prohibiting the companies from buying back their own stock to boost their profits and the price of the stock.

It’s way to early to say what will happen. I am not a gambler. I made the investment on what I have seen about the company and that I have basically been waiting for the price to experience a downward shift to where it became practical for me to get a ROI that I can justify.

On 3/19/2020 at 6:57 PM, Wolf 8 said:

Good luck with that prediction.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:57 AM, Wolf 8 said:

Buying 115 shares is exactly oozing confidence if you expect to double or triple your investment in 12-18 months. Go big or go home as they say.

As far as the dividend and shareholder obc I wouldn't spend that quite yet. A company bleeding cash can't continue to payout $650,000000 a year in dividends and god knows how much on shareholder obc and stay in business.

This has been a life changing experience for everybody, I think the recovery time will be longer than people think. I think Spain and especially Italy will take several years.Cruising isn't a necessity and most financial responsible people will get their life back in order before diving back in to cruising.

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Buying 115 shares is exactly oozing confidence if you expect to double or triple your investment in 12-18 months. Go big or go home as they say.

As far as the dividend and shareholder obc I wouldn't spend that quite yet. A company bleeding cash can't continue to payout $650,000000 a year in dividends and god knows how much on shareholder obc and stay in business.

This has been a life changing experience for everybody, I think the recovery time will be longer than people think. I think Spain and especially Italy will take several years.Cruising isn't a necessity and most financial responsible people will get their life back in order before diving back in to cruising.

I share your concerns, grandgeezer.  That is why I kept my investment in RCL to basically just lunch money.  Buying 115 shares for $2,485 last week that would have cost $15,500 on 1/17/20 was brave enough.

Where we differ is about the future financial behavior of mass market cruise customers.  I have faith that as this virus subsides many will resume using credit to get back onboard and enjoy themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolf 8 said:

I share your concerns, grandgeezer.  That is why I kept my investment in RCL to basically just lunch money.  Buying 115 shares for $2,485 last week that would have cost $15,500 on 1/17/20 was brave enough.

Where we differ is about the future financial behavior of mass market cruise customers.  I have faith that as this virus subsides many will resume using credit to get back onboard and enjoy themselves.

Do get me wrong, I think you are going to make money, just not as quick as you hoped.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the time frame. Like individuals the lines have lost a ton of money and it won't come back as fast as it went out, the last time I think it took five years or so. This will stick in people's mind for a long time.

45 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Do get me wrong, I think you are going to make money, just not as quick as you hoped.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the time frame. Like individuals the lines have lost a ton of money and it won't come back as fast as it went out, the last time I think it took five years or so. This will stick in people's mind for a long time.

It's all good, my friend.  Most importantly, you and yours stay safe and maybe one day we'll cross paths on Celebrity.

We decided to take the cash I literally had in my pocket that we had planned to spend on our March 14 cruise for tips, ground transfers, golf cart & scooter rentals, and general shopping and buy 100 shares instead.  Instead of putting it back into the savings account, I just put it into the investment account and put in a limit order of 100 at $22.  It hit that mark and now I'll just see how it plays out.  Will probably take some time, but we'll see if it will fund some spending $ on future cruises, or OBC when/if that benefit comes around. 

Edited by garyl62

Price up on funding secured, this is bad for my short for now but good for the upcoming April 25th cruise I am assuming is being cancelled and therefore I am requesting my money back.

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/royal-caribbean-secures-2-2-billion-credit-line-bolstering-its-liquidity-to-battle-coronavirus-shutdown-51584985691?mod=mw_latestnews

Royal Caribbean Secures $2.2 Billion Credit Line, Bolstering Its Liquidity to Battle Coronavirus Shutdown