Have you ever done a cruise and never left the ship?

cl.klink

I don't think I could stay onboard for an entire cruise. After 1 or 2 sea days I have an itch to stretch my legs and get off the boat. Even if all I did was walk into port and walk around a bit; just the change of scenery getting off the boat would be worthwhile to me. 

We have been on many cruises.  Sometimes we don't get off- but usually we get off, walk around the pier, take a picture and then head back to the ship.   Some islands have beautiful beaches or interesting shopping- so we get off and go on our own.  The ship is usually very quiet and some things aren't available on port days- but if you just want to enjoy the peacefulness of the ship- why not?   I consider the ship my resort!

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I do it all the time.  Strategy? Get up, drink coffee, play trivia, read books, Swim while the pools are deserted, have lunch before the people start arriving back on the ship, nap, watch a movie, enjoy the ship.........

Heaven!  will try that next cruise....too many times cruising the Caribbean I guess.

13 hours ago, cl.klink said:

My wife and are planning to cruise on Reflection in a few weeks, visiting ports in Caribbean, South and Central America, with many stops in places we’ve already been. For a variety of reasons for a few ports we planned to stay on ship. We like cruise ships and are happy to be on board. Got me thinking - anyone ever just stay on the ship for all of a cruise’s ports?  How did that go?  How did you strategize or approach that?

- Joel

Keep in mind---if you do a lot of cruises to the same area [Caribbean for example], all the ships go to the same ports.  Those ports are set up to receive cruise ships.  So, after a while, get off the ship, and you'll see the same stuff as before.  Many times, we just stayed on the ship; pool not crowded, restaurants not crowded, same for spa, gym, etc.

• Thanks 1

The one time we sailed in a suite on Royal Caribbean, the day after embarkation I came down with a nasty cold.  I self-quarantined myself for pretty much the whole cruise--at least we had a decent cabin to enjoy!

Now we may get off the ship for an hour or so, and then go back and enjoy the pool or some of the onboard activities.

We have stayed aboard from a couple ports but never for the complete cruise.   Really love the ship when most are ashore.  Very peaceful and if interested in the Spa they offer discounts on Port Day's up until around 1:00

Absolutely!  For some of my 41 cruises the ship is the destination especially if in a Pinnacle Suite on HAL or a Penthouse on Celebrity.  We have a 7 night charter cruise coming up in the Pinnacle Suite on HAL and will not get off of the ship.  We had a Penthouse on two cruises on the Summit.  One we disembarked in Bermuda and walked for 3 hours.  The other we only did 2 ports on an 11 night cruise.

I note that some posters reference Caesar.  He was a beloved butler two times in our Penthouse Suite on the Summit.  Does anyone know where he is now?

Hello Jim.  We miss you!  Thinking of you both.

On our Edge sailing in February, we left the ship only twice for a grand total of four hours,  for pre-planned lunches.  It wasn’t our normal cruise experience but we were sailing with a couple who for various reasons was unable to stay off the ship for long.   On a February Caribbean cruise this was easy for us as since what we are really after is warm weather. 

For years, we have been doing b2b's in the Carib for 3 weeks in the winter.

We get off at each port, just to walk around and visit the shops (which are almost all the same!)

We manage to buy a little something here and there. Most of the day, we are on a quiet and empty ship.

We prefer these days to crowded sea days.

It works for us.

Interesting post.  In Europe, we would definitely be getting off and doing some tours.  But, I can see the attraction for some.  I understand those who say "the ship is the attraction". If you are visiting ports you have already been to, with no new sights you care to see, why not??  Why not enjoy any seat at the pool, discounted spa services, uncrowded restaurants, and perhaps most of all....relax wherever you want, read a book, etc!  🙂

Edited by DENIE
Added content

1 hour ago, DENIE said:

Interesting post.  In Europe, we would definitely be getting off and doing some tours.  But, I can see the attraction for some.  I understand those who say "the ship is the attraction". If you are visiting ports you have already been to, with no new sights you care to see, why not??  Why not enjoy any seat at the pool, discounted spa services, uncrowded restaurants, and perhaps most of all....relax wherever you want, read a book, etc!  🙂

I see you are from Arizona. We are from Cold Canada. So the main reason for these cruises is to escape the winter.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

We are planning to stay onboard one port day on our upcoming infinity cruise.  Are there ever specialty restaurants open on port days for lunch?  I’m guessing not but would be a fun treat for that day.

Most speciality restaurants are not open on port days but The Porch was on Reflection...loved enjoying the seafood tower with a glass (or two) of Sangria! It is worth checking the time Sushi opens....

We have also enjoyed room service on our balcony on a port day (great fries!) and of course the buffet is quieter...

I think it’s pretty common in the Caribbean, especially the western routes where the ports aren’t really anything special. Sometimes on port days in Cozumel the ship feels more like a sea day. We’ve never stayed on the entire cruise but we’ve definitely skipped Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and any Jamaica stops. 

22 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There have been a number of threads on various boards comparing cruising to AI's, and the one big advantage to cruising that is repeated with great frequency is that with an AI you are stuck in the same place, while with cruising you wake up most days to a new port to explore. So if you are going to stay aboard, an AI or nice hotel by the sea does seem to be a better option.

Maybe stuck in the same place but probably a beautiful place anyway!

My sister and her husband have stayed on the ship many times for their whole cruise. She says there is nothing like it. Sitting around and enjoying the ship. My sister usually has a few spa treatments that she wouldn't have had if she had taken  advantage of the ports. I used to think she was crazy, but it really is relaxing. DH and I skipped a port due to just being too tired to tour and I spent the day enjoying the sun and the quiet while I was crocheting on the deck, moving about as the sun moved, It was wonderful. 

On 3/3/2020 at 8:48 AM, 4774Papa said:

No, but after visiting Nassau, if we every go back there, we won't get off the ship.

My DH and I got a kick out of your post.  My first visit to Nassau was in 1966.....Terrible poverty and quite a dump.  When I went back with my DH a couple of years ago, I remarked how much better it was than the first time I had been there.  He looked at me horrified, and said he couldn’t imagine that it was previously any worse.  Yes, it was still a dump, but I guess everything is relative.   

We did come very close on a 14 day Caribbean cruise that had 9 ports.  DW and I stayed aboard during our first  ports and only got off in St Maarten for a half hour to buy some booze.  We are both healthy and fit and also well traveled.  Why did we stay aboard?  We have been to the Caribbean ports dozens of times and actually have our favorite beach on every island.  But on that cruise we had the Premium Drink package and thought it might be fun to stay aboard on port days when we could easily select our deck loungers and not have to deal with any queues in the Lido or at any of the deck bars.  If we ever cruise X again, in the Caribbean, we might do the same.  But for now, we prefer MSCs Yacht Club when in the Caribbean.   Despite having been Elite Plus for many years we have completely lost interest in X, under the current management team, given the cut backs and price increases.  We do not think the line offers good value.

Hank

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We did come very close on a 14 day Caribbean cruise that had 9 ports.  DW and I stayed aboard during our first  ports and only got off in St Maarten for a half hour to buy some booze.  We are both healthy and fit and also well traveled.  Why did we stay aboard?  We have been to the Caribbean ports dozens of times and actually have our favorite beach on every island.  But on that cruise we had the Premium Drink package and thought it might be fun to stay aboard on port days when we could easily select our deck loungers and not have to deal with any queues in the Lido or at any of the deck bars.  If we ever cruise X again, in the Caribbean, we might do the same.  But for now, we prefer MSCs Yacht Club when in the Caribbean.   Despite having been Elite Plus for many years we have completely lost interest in X, under the current management team, given the cut backs and price increases.  We do not think the line offers good value.

Hank

I think with the suite class upgrades on Celebrity they have really raised the bar.  We do not like tiny cabins.  Also love Royal suite class. Maybe someday might try MSC 

17 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I think with the suite class upgrades on Celebrity they have really raised the bar.  We do not like tiny cabins.  Also love Royal suite class. Maybe someday might try MSC 

The thing about MSCs Yacht Club is that it generally costs about three hundred per person/day which gets you an exclusive section of the ship, private pool deck, private restaurant, all beverages and other perks.  The Suite life on X does not come close except that the larger suites are nice...but often at 3+ times the cost of MSC.  MSC certainly has its issues, but in terms of overall value their Yacht Club is unbeatable.

Hank

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The thing about MSCs Yacht Club is that it generally costs about three hundred per person/day which gets you an exclusive section of the ship, private pool deck, private restaurant, all beverages and other perks.  The Suite life on X does not come close except that the larger suites are nice...but often at 3+ times the cost of MSC.  MSC certainly has its issues, but in terms of overall value their Yacht Club is unbeatable.

Hank

But to me “size matters”.  Are they big?   At least an entry level suite with yacht club access?  Price?  

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 3/3/2020 at 12:09 AM, cl.klink said:

My wife and are planning to cruise on Reflection in a few weeks, visiting ports in Caribbean, South and Central America, with many stops in places we’ve already been. For a variety of reasons for a few ports we planned to stay on ship. We like cruise ships and are happy to be on board. Got me thinking - anyone ever just stay on the ship for all of a cruise’s ports?  How did that go?  How did you strategize or approach that?

- Joel

We did once on Allure of Seas.  We had not initially planned to, but I aggravated a knee issue.  We started a regular daily schedule and it was interesting to go to same area to lay around/ read / and in my case, had a great bar tender who when they opened the bar at 11 am, brought me my first beer of the day to my lounge chair.   He got a great tip each day.

We did vary the evening schedule with going to each speciality restaurant.  We went to Samba's twice.  That was a great outdoor venue and eating experience.

I think I would have gotten off if not for my knee issue, but sometimes, in general, we like to just walk around port area and then get back on ship. 

Edited by shipshape sam

When on the QM2 in the Caribbean, we stayed onboard because that ship was the destination!   We did get off for a few minutes to take photos of her, especially fun from the top deck on her tenders.   She has endless public area including an actual promenade.   Not so much on Celebrity ships but we have not yet tried the Edge.