Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

Also have some experience in Brooklyn (Carol Gardens area and Prospect Park areas).  From that perspective, fondly recall a highway sign on a major thoroughfare.  It is posted for those departing Brooklyn.  Cuts right to the point: 

"Leaving Brooklyn.  Fagettaboutit." 

Same applies to 2020 Alaska cruise season.  Thankfully, four previous cruises in those waters.  Still hope for a fifth next May as Explorer completes a transit from Tokyo to Vancouver, B.C.  Everything else we booked in the interim--including this Summer's river cruises in France--have been canceled.

GOARMY!   

2 hours ago, RJB said:

At this point it does not look like there will be an Alaska season.  Too bad.  But as they used to say in Brooklyn " wait till next year. "   Need to be from Brooklyn to understand.  Everyone stay safe. 

Canada and the U.S. have agreed (tentatively) to open the borders in 30 days (from yesterday) so I guess that it is possible to have an Alaska season.  Hope so for Regent's sake.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Canada and the U.S. have agreed (tentatively) to open the borders in 30 days (from yesterday) so I guess that it is possible to have an Alaska season.  Hope so for Regent's sake.

Jackie, you misunderstood the Prime Minister's statement - they have agreed to keep the border closed another 30 days and may extend beyond that; nothing was mentioned about time for reopening.

Marc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Jackie, you misunderstood the Prime Minister's statement - they have agreed to keep the border closed another 30 days and may extend beyond that; nothing was mentioned about time for reopening.

Marc

Interesting.  I did not hear the Prime Minister.  My "news" (whether it is correct or incorrect) came from our local news.  Once again, it is becoming increasingly difficult to know what to believe.  

Living so close to the Canadian border (21 miles), we hear first hand how it is affecting people on both sides of the border. Actually, it may be affecting people in the Vancouver area more than us as they do a lot of shopping in our city (many thousands each month).  It hurts us because of the loss of revenue.  One reason our city of less than 100,000 people has a large mall and so many stores is due to the Canadians.  They have really kept our local economy stable.  

I suppose that it is a good thing that Regent cancelled our May cruise as we were leaving out of Vancouver.  Our next visit to YVR is scheduled for mid-September.  Hope that the border will be open by then.

The latest info that I have is that crew were transferred from Splendor to Mariner in LA.  I believe someone may have already mentioned it.  Today, the move will be to Navigator and the ship will take the European crew across the Atlantic.

Beginning in May, my friend will no longer be paid.  I don’t know if this is true for all crew.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, catenai said:

Sorry, my last post may have been incorrect about Navigator sailing to Europe.  But, all European crew are being transferred onto Navigator.  I'll try to get more details.

Thanks for the updates, I really appreciate them.  Navigator going to Europe and Mariner going to Asia are both consistent with moving European crew off Mariner and putting them on Navigator; hopefully we will see movement soon.

Again, thanks,

Marc

On 4/19/2020 at 8:39 AM, flossie009 said:

There are four cruise ships* sitting off the Philippines coast near Manila “awaiting orders”; presumably wanting to disembark crew but at present denied entry.

* 2 Princess, 1 Cunard, 1 P&O

There are now seven cruise ships anchored in the bay off Manila:

Manilla_23_04_20.thumb.jpg.45a0c20cc512ab08dd6c20e0d0a30929.jpg

It appears that they are all awaiting permission to disembark Filipino crew but have been caught up in local 'red tape'.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/04/21/2008817/ship-crew-faces-14-more-days-quarantine-after-weeks-afloat-uncertainty

Interestingly none of the ships are from the NCLH Group.

I was in touch with my friend who was on the Navigator and is now on the Mariner.  They will board the Norwegian Joy tomorrow.  It is also docked in LA. There are 400 crew on the Mariner.  That is all they know.  Hopefully they can return to their homes soon.

1 hour ago, catenai said:

I should have typed—drydock in Italy, but you all probably know that is where it happens.

Navigator was supposed to go to dry dock in Marseilles in August; are they now going to Italy instead?  Has date been moved up to May?

thanks,

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

16 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Mariner, Regatta, Joy, and Jewel all heading to Ensenada; Splendor hasn't moved yet.  Explorer anchored off Great Stirrup Key.  Looks like the NCLH ships are leaving USA waters.

Marc

The ships are now anchored off Ensenada. The Business Insider article stated that NCLH had arranged charter flights to repatriate the crew but that the CDC would not allow crewmembers to leave the ships to get to the airport. It may be that the ships have gone to Ensenada so that the crew could leave the ships, be bused to Tijuana International Airport, about one and a half to two hours from Ensenada, where they could catch charter flights home. The airport runway is 9715 feet long so it can easily handle large, long range aircraft.

After crew repatriation, will the ships remain in Ensenada, or will they return to LA to rejoin the Splendor?

Dave