Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Watching ABC News 24

Professor Paul Kelly is taking this one. 

He says: "The main issue is although we've had some preliminary evidence over the last few days in relation to the AstraZeneca vaccine, so it does appear that it does actually influence transmission, we don't have that sort of evidence at the moment for Pfizer. Or Moderna.

"Or any of the others that are in the transition towards being used in other countries. So, at the moment — that two-week quarantine in hotels as has been so successful up till now remains regardless of vaccination."

If vaccines don't stop transmission and only stop you from getting really sick, I can't see cruising starting up again in the next 12 months.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was cringing when I did that post,thinking you will be the first of many.

But wasn’t there 4 princess ships in the headlines.

But that’s all history.

there were at least 43 Ships with Covid issues, these are some:

Princess - the Diamond, Ruby, Grand, Sun and Coral Princesses.

Royal - the Ovation, Voyager, oasis, Liberty, Majesty, Symphony and Adventure of the Seas.

X - the Solstice, Apex, Infinity, Eclipse and Flora.

HAL - the Westerdam and the Zaandam

Carnival - the Freedom and Valor

NCl - the Bliss, Breakaway and the Pride of America

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was cringing when I did that post,thinking you will be the first of many.

But wasn’t there 4 princess ships in the headlines.

But that’s all history.

🤣🤣🤣 I'm too predictable.

Yes, it's all history but, sadly, it is/has affected the way our politicians view cruise ships even though there is now a number of examples of ships operating safely under strict Covid practices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Furthermore if one of our premiers decides to allow cruise ships one of the others will firmly say no. You can probably guess which two I'm referring to, and it's not the one on the west coast. 😁

NSW is the meat in the sandwich. 😉

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

There were lots of ships with Covid - but Australian media made Ruby Princess Headline News. Check the list, quite a few RCI ships in there too 🤔🙄

And yes - fingers, toes and eyes crossed that we don’t see numbers like these on any ship ever again.

7F18F959-225E-4E46-9151-E3C5F841E9E7.jpeg

The Ruby and her passengers, especially the international passengers were thrown under the bus by the Australian media.  As we all have found out through the Special Commissioners  Inquiry..the culprit was the New South Wales Health Department and their incompetent employees who did not do their jobs or follow their own rules and protocol.  Yes..I am still outraged that the NSW Health got only a slap on the wrist and on days when my covid fatigue rears its ugly head and makes me spend the day in bed (after ten months)  I am really pissed. I think it will be at least  another year before your country opens up to international travellers...One of the government agencies got away with murder and pushed it all to the cruise industry.

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I hope your trip to Aust next year can happen.🤞 I recall that early last year you were not happy with  me when I suggested that your original plan of a trip in this present summer possibly would not happen.🙂

You are correct, but in my defence I don't think many of us thought it would last this long. It became prudent to shift a year and now that seems in jeopardy. I think that what set me off back then was the whole quarantine suggestion by some that I would come all that way and spend time in quarantine, it sort of insulted my intelligence. Since then things have changed and people have come to know me and vice versa. I spend most of my CC time on the Down under boards because the conversation is more fun and we can wander around off topic only to slide back over time.

• Thanks 1

We've all certainly learnt a lot in the past year.

It is what it is and there's nowt we can do about it. I'm still hoping to head off to South Australia for the Murray Rivef cruise on the 18th so am praying there isn't another quarantine outbreak in Sydney that will keep the South Australia border effectively closed to tourists. 

33 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

The Ruby and her passengers, especially the international passengers were thrown under the bus by the Australian media.  As we all have found out through the Special Commissioners  Inquiry..the culprit was the New South Wales Health Department and their incompetent employees who did not do their jobs or follow their own rules and protocol.  Yes..I am still outraged that the NSW Health got only a slap on the wrist and on days when my covid fatigue rears its ugly head and makes me spend the day in bed (after ten months)  I am really pissed. I think it will be at least  another year before your country opens up to international travellers...One of the government agencies got away with murder and pushed it all to the cruise industry.

The Australian media loves to throw the cruise industry under buses. Even when a study in Brisbane, during a Norovirus outbreak, proved that there was a higher risk of contracting Noro in the community than on a cruise ship they still made a fuss of every Noro outbreak on ships.

Sorry to hear you're still getting periods of fatigue but that's not just a Covid aftereffect, even bad flus can take months to shake off completely. I had one a few years back that affected me that way.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

There were lots of ships with Covid - but Australian media made Ruby Princess Headline News. Check the list, quite a few RCI ships in there too 🤔🙄

And yes - fingers, toes and eyes crossed that we don’t see numbers like these on any ship ever again.

7F18F959-225E-4E46-9151-E3C5F841E9E7.jpeg

Good research.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m not going to be popular with the princess fans .

But I think princess has left a real stigma on the cruise industry.

God bless you my son or daughter. You will be forgiven, lol.

th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

You are correct, but in my defence I don't think many of us thought it would last this long. It became prudent to shift a year and now that seems in jeopardy. I think that what set me off back then was the whole quarantine suggestion by some that I would come all that way and spend time in quarantine, it sort of insulted my intelligence. Since then things have changed and people have come to know me and vice versa. I spend most of my CC time on the Down under boards because the conversation is more fun and we can wander around off topic only to slide back over time.

My friend - you don't have to put forward a defence. 😁 I made the comment to illustrate how things have changed in less than 12 months.

I am glad you find our board more fun. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

From what we hear, long COVID is a b.... Fatigue is one of the issues. Some people are left with serious complications and it isn't known if these will be life-long. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Good post Brandee. I agree NSW Health Commission are pathetic. So many of these incompetent snowflakes still working from home. Like many other govt employees, Weak.

Imagine if the police, fire, ambulance and hospital staff wanted to work from home? Many of the other govt employees who did not want to come to work are oxygen thieves. In my meals on wheels cooperative only 5 out of 100 declined to turn out and most of the packers and delivery people are 70 plus.

No Fear. Stay safe Brandee in NY.

Edited by NSWP

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Good post Brandee. I agree NSW Health Commission are pathetic. So many of these incompetent snowflakes still working from home. Like many other govt employees, Weak.

Imagine if the police, fire, ambulance and hospital staff wanted to work from home? Many of the other govt employees who did not want to come to work are oxygen thieves. In my meals on wheels cooperative only 5 out of 100 declined to turn out and most of the packers and delivery people are 70 plus.

No Fear. Stay safe Brandee in NY.

So many people are working from home because that is the order given by the national cabinet and the state governments. 

In Victoria, the allowance is just now going up to 50% allowed to offices, etc.

One of my former students is a policy researcher in fed govt. Has limited permission to attend her office for necessary work component,  But has had police coming through checking work permits.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

So many people are working from home because that is the order given by the national cabinet and the state governments. 

One of my former students is a policy researcher in fed govt. Has limited permission to attend her office for necessary work component,  But has had police coming through checking work permits.

Fair enough Adrian. But I still feel some are protected fauna.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

My children and their spouses all work for different areas of government. Daughter is a teacher so taught remotely for a fair bit of last year, her husband is a police officer. Son works for our local council, he has been working at home since March/April but does attend site meetings as part of his job. Daughter in law works for the State Sports Centre Trusts in HR and has also been working from home. She spends about 1 day a fortnight onsite. 

Leigh

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

On our rollcall for a December cruise to New Zealand.
 Apparently Americans have been advised buy agents, our boarders will be closed and  cruises won’t be happening.

Good advice. I cannot see the big 4 cruise lines returning to our waters until the pandemic is over. They might not be around then? 🤔

No doubt there will be safeguards to prevent fake vaccine certificates. 🤔

"Australians are likely to be told by their GP when it is their turn to get the COVID-19 vaccine and will receive an emailed vaccine certificate after receiving the jab, as more details of Australia's COVID-19 vaccine rollout are revealed. " Full article here from the ABC

59 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

On our rollcall for a December cruise to New Zealand.
 Apparently Americans have been advised buy agents, our boarders will be closed and  cruises won’t be happening.

I don't think the US agents (presumably that is TAs) know any more than we do about when Australia's borders will be open for international travel.

If your December cruise to NZ does go ahead, it could be as part of a trans-Tasman bubble, without international passengers. After all, it was most likely an international passenger who (unknowingly) brought COVID onto the Ruby Princess.

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think the US agents (presumably that is TAs) know any more than we do about when Australia's borders will be open for international travel.

A lot of Americans seen to think it’s their right to travel here and go on a cruise.

Its good to see someone is being realistic and preparing them for the truth.