Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Just saw this notification and article. 

Forget about that overseas holiday: Qantas cancels all international flights until MARCH next year

Australia's national carrier has removed international inventory until March 28, 2021. Flights to New Zealand are now unavailable until further notice due to the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8520077/Forget-overseas-holiday-Qantas-pulls-international-flights-MARCH-year.html

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Forget about that overseas holiday: Qantas cancels all international flights until MARCH next year

Australia's national carrier has removed international inventory until March 28, 2021. Flights to New Zealand are now unavailable until further notice due to the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8520077/Forget-overseas-holiday-Qantas-pulls-international-flights-MARCH-year.html

I see Emirates is laying off 9,000 staff .😳

3 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I guess the caravaning and camping business will be booming soon.  I know we are looking at getting a van sometime in the future. But I wonder how long the wait will be. 

Sarah, the wait for a caravan or a cruise?  Van will be quicker I feel. Above all, enjoy. Road trips are great.

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Looks like out of my three potential trip options it will be the domestic one I use.🙄

Edited by ilikeanswers

Around March when the Australian govt announced major restrictions, 6 months was the duration given. That time frame now looks unrealistic?  

No one was permitted to leave the country, with some exemptions. Other countries have not made that decision?

Thousands have since flooded back in and more expected, albeit in smaller batches.

This state of no travel out of the country looks to be permanent now until a vaccine?

This means many are locked in and will never have the opportunity to leave, if the vaccine takes years. Future cruise credits will be useless.

People will be compelled to limit their spending in this country. With all the border restrictions and sudden changes, planning holidays is difficult.

Trapped in a hot zone would be challenging and no one would want to live with uncertainty forever.

Can anyone see any end to this?

We have just taken a punt on a Royal Carribean cruise to the Pacific islands for next January - ex BNE.  Given we had some FCC, and the price was attractive, I figured we had nothing to lose.  The cruise would only go ahead if the circumstances permit it, and if it doesn't our FCC will just be reinstated.  And we can cancel up to 48 hours prior.  Now to see how it all unfolds.....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aus ATC said:

We have just taken a punt on a Royal Carribean cruise to the Pacific islands for next January - ex BNE.  Given we had some FCC, and the price was attractive, I figured we had nothing to lose.  The cruise would only go ahead if the circumstances permit it, and if it doesn't our FCC will just be reinstated.  And we can cancel up to 48 hours prior.  Now to see how it all unfolds.....

While I personally don't think it will happen, at least you don't lose out by reusing FCCs. I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to put down any more money on a cruise.

• Like 1

We're just planning on rolling our Princess bookings forward, when one is cancelled we'll book another at a later date until cruising starts up again. Hopefully they'll extend the life of our FCDs so we can keep doing that.

43 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're just planning on rolling our Princess bookings forward, when one is cancelled we'll book another at a later date until cruising starts up again. Hopefully they'll extend the life of our FCDs so we can keep doing that.

Same - we have one in December and one next May. When they cancel the December one (which they will) we will then decide what to do - roll that deposit over to the May booking or take a FCC. Will decide at the time 🤔

We've got September, April and next September booked with Princess, plus a Cunard cruise in January. We'll be cancelling the September cruise on Monday, since Princess havent't cancelled it, then will book something for March/April 22.

I'm hoping we will be able to roll the Cunard cruise through to 2022 as well.

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

For a read with morning cuppa:

https://novavax.reportablenews.com/pr/novavax-announces-1-6-billion-funding-from-operation-warp-speed

I like that their clinical trials Phases 1 & 2 were carried out here and commenced in May.

A very interesting article..we also had a similar news article today.  However, my daughter in law, who works for a research lab in the US doing supportive research for a major pharmaceutical company involved in a covid 19 vaccine, has informed me..no one in the family will get a vaccine until there is at least a  6 month time frame once it is available to the public..to quote her..it takes that long for a third eye to pop out.  She is very concerned about the quickness that this vaccine is being pushed without proper clinical trials.  Average clinical trials are 3 to 5 years...scary!!  What's worse the disease or the cure?

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've got September, April and next September booked with Princess, plus a Cunard cruise in January. We'll be cancelling the September cruise on Monday, since Princess havent't cancelled it, then will book something for March/April 22.

I'm hoping we will be able to roll the Cunard cruise through to 2022 as well.

Are you aware that on 14th July Cunard announced that for Australian cruises sailing on or before  March 31st 2021 final payment is now due 30 days before sailing.  Gives a bit more breathing space to make up your mind.

2 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Are you aware that on 14th July Cunard announced that for Australian cruises sailing on or before  March 31st 2021 final payment is now due 30 days before sailing.  Gives a bit more breathing space to make up your mind.

I would hope that all cruise lines will adopt this policy. It would certainly be a step in the right direction for customer relations. And they wouldn't have to be giving as many refunds.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ondine said:

No, I hadn't heard that. Thanks. I've haven't even started to think about the viability of that cruise. It's an Auckland to Sydney cruise so would need borders to be open between the two countries for a start. I doubt it will happen but I'll wait until closer to the time in case Cunard cancels. If they cancel it might make it easier to move our booking to the following year.

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That may be the cruise lines policy now but if you have a TA, they may still have another policy again.

We booked the Cunard cruise with the TA that is closing down end of September. The booking will be passed to Cunard so we'll be able to deal with them directly.

But in general you are correct. Some TAs have quite different policies over and above the cruise lines' policies.

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would hope that all cruise lines will adopt this policy. It would certainly be a step in the right direction for customer relations. And they wouldn't have to be giving as many refunds.

Princess reduced final payments from 90 days to 60 days some months ago.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess reduced final payments from 90 days to 60 days some months ago.

Didn't know that.  Will check my Sapphire booking for 9 Feb.  P&O Au have had a 30 day final payment on a rolling basis for some time.  Think it currently applies to cruises prior to 31 October.  Got one on 30 Oct on Pac Dawn but not looking very good.