Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Here is a "cruise" for anyone going to Canberra.

"If you're looking for some physically distanced fun in the nation’s capital, look no further than Go Boat’s wine tasting tours on Lake Burley Griffin. Each guest is provided with their own stemless wine glass, as well as a bottle of water, Tilba cheese and crackers and a free tote bag. Tickets are being sold as groups of two-to-three so guests can sit next to their friends and maintain their distance at the same time." Source CW

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sounds lovely but I have wine and cheese a home.

Well, planning ahead in the likely year or two 'cruiseless' period we face, & doing land cruising instead, I recently purchased a voucher for a 4N Canberra stay (good for use for 2 years) so we could visit the capital. Had thought of a lake cruise during the visit, maybe with Mic & Rosie, but seems Mic would prefer to stick to his own company 🙂 Maybe we will divert to Batehaven & take the Clyde River cruise with a local there 🙂 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I guess they would be convenient but there are just some things....I'm even a little fussy about beer in cans; yes I understand that a keg of beer is technically a can. And a box of wine is actually a plastic bag. I guess it's just an aesthetic thing.

To continue your linguistic education, boxed wine has other names, depending on quality or pose value.

Better : chateau cardboard

normal: goon bag.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I guess they would be convenient but there are just some things....I'm even a little fussy about beer in cans; yes I understand that a keg of beer is technically a can. And a box of wine is actually a plastic bag. I guess it's just an aesthetic thing.

Yes just the same as wine in a plastic vessel  or even a glass tumbler ,just not the same.

Cheers Carole

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Yes just the same as wine in a plastic vessel  or even a glass tumbler ,just not the same.

Cheers Carole

Or if we're getting really fancy, wine in the appropriate Riedel glass against wine in a tasting glass against wine in a cheap wine glass.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Tell me about it, they put your Penfolds in their cupboard and tap the chateau cardboard.

Not us buddy, we like to drink a nice drop. Cost isn't always the best guide though, so when we find a nice one we tend to buy a case or two. The more expensive wines are the ones cracked for guests.

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

Well, planning ahead in the likely year or two 'cruiseless' period we face, & doing land cruising instead, I recently purchased a voucher for a 4N Canberra stay (good for use for 2 years) so we could visit the capital. Had thought of a lake cruise during the visit, maybe with Mic & Rosie, but seems Mic would prefer to stick to his own company 🙂 Maybe we will divert to Batehaven & take the Clyde River cruise with a local there 🙂 

I am up for it with friends but groups of two's or three's doesn't allow for that. Come down when the restrictions allow larger groups and we are in.

30 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is amazing how the taste is enhanced in the better glassware.

Yes. I get a bit cross with Princess because their wine glasses are crappy. Celebrity has better quality glasses.

When we used to do traditional dining we'd ask our waiters on Princess for good red wine glasses. It's too hard to do with Anytime dining though.

17 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

I note that some 'trendy' places (not my typical haunts) are serving wine in glass tumblers. First came across it in a restaurant in the Viaduct precinct  of Auckland, and have now seen it also in Sydney, although not recently as we have not been out much 😮

3 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I note that some 'trendy' places (not my typical haunts) are serving wine in glass tumblers. First came across it in a restaurant in the Viaduct precinct  of Auckland, and have now seen it also in Sydney, although not recently as we have not been out much 😮

Oh so de classe.

Vegemite glasses could be seen as ironic.

Back to my straw joke, I love my Reidl glasses. The way the specifically designed varietal ones lift both the smell and taste is amazing.

12 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Tumblers or stemless wine glasses? There is a trend at the moment for stemless wine glasses, which I hate. The stem of a wine glass stops the heat of your hands from warming the wine - more important for whites than reds, of course.

I do have one set of Riedel stemless champagne glasses which get used every day ... for orange juice. They are perfect for that. But I would never drink champagne from them. And in case you're wondering why I'm using expensive wine glasses for juice it's because they are the only glasses I could find that were perfect juice size for me. Most tumblers are too big. DH bought them for me one Christmas.

BTW if I went to a decent restaurant that served wine in tumblers (not stemless wine glasses) it would be a one time only visit, I would never go back. If a restaurant doesn't respect it's customers enough to provide decent quality glasses then I won't spend my money there.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

BTW if I went to a decent restaurant that served wine in tumblers (not stemless wine glasses) it would be a one time only visit, I would never go back. If a restaurant doesn't respect it's customers enough to provide decent quality glasses then I won't spend my money there.

They wouldn't respect the wine they are serving either, or know nothing about how to serve wine!

Leigh

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Tumblers or stemless wine glasses? There is a trend at the moment for stemless wine glasses, which I hate. The stem of a wine glass stops the heat of your hands from warming the wine - more important for whites than reds, of course.

I guess then that they are stemless wine glasses. Looked like tumblers to me, but then again I mostly drink from beer glasses - beer not wine.

I spent my teenage years in the League of Nations suburb in Sydney, Fairfield, although now it is little Asia. Anyway, back to the vino glasses, Sunday lunch at my Italian mates place over the road was usually a large five hour event with the finest of home made vino drunk from vintage vegemite glasses. My wife wonders how I developed a taste for good wine from fine crystal glasses. 😂

1 minute ago, Russell21 said:

I spent my teenage years in the League of Nations suburb in Sydney, Fairfield, although now it is little Asia. Anyway, back to the vino glasses, Sunday lunch at my Italian mates place over the road was usually a large five hour event with the finest of home made vino drunk from vintage vegemite glasses. My wife wonders how I developed a taste for good wine from fine crystal glasses. 😂

Isn't "finest home made vino" an oxymoron? If porch climber is okay with someone then it really doesn't matter what it is served in. Slurp it out of the bottle.

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Not my cup of tea

Cheers Carole

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Isn't "finest home made vino" an oxymoron? If porch climber is okay with someone then it really doesn't matter what it is served in. Slurp it out of the bottle.

Of course it's an oxymoron, didn't you see my tongue was in my cheek as I typed? 🙂

4 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Of course it's an oxymoron, didn't you see my tongue was in my cheek as I typed? 🙂

Indeed I did get the jesting tone, I was agreeing with you. We used to go to wine tastings fairly often but often found many of the offerings too dry or had too much oak.We do enjoy a nice glass for dinner from time to time, average bottle from the shop $15.00 although we have taken gone up to $45.00 on the very rare occasion. And we have  tried some rather nice port as well.