River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

5 hours ago, Daisi said:

Lol... all I can think about is a comment from a police officer in the UK who, once the pubs opened, stated something to the effect that "alcohol and social distancing didn't mix". 

Yes, remember reading that comment. Stating what we all suspected anyway, but it needs to be said. By the way, for that reason drinking alcohol .in public at Deutsches Eck in Koblenz has been banned.

Talking of the cozy indoor places like pubs. Scientists in India and Germany have published their findings about humidity: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-transmission-humidity-aerosols/a-54639765

I shall keep the air conditioning at work on a warmer setting and turn it off went not needed, we have got good ventilation with windows and doors opening well to create a through draft.

notamermaid

On 8/18/2020 at 11:22 AM, ural guy said:

As far as being you being sad, well thanks, but it's on us.  We're not great at being compliant, even if we had consistent, fact based guidance from on high from the start of this.

Best I can think of, I'm in Wurzburg out for my early walk.  No traffic, I wait at the crosswalk for a few seconds, and then continue against the little red light.  Omah standing there waiting, will tsch tsch me, and probably grumble something I don't understand, but isn't nice.

I can picture the scene in Würzburg, Oma (grandma) complaining. Grin. If you can see the red man, wait. Always. Even at 2am. Jawoll! Last year, I was caught by a mother and child, me crossing the road 15m away from the traffic lights. I heard some seriously harsh words behind me when I crossed the road. Theoretically I did not cross the red light, but I was close enough for the traffic lights to still apply to me as well, the mother thought. No car coming of course, I had checked that.

Sadly, the restrictions compliance is not as good as it was a few weeks ago. I know that soldier behaviour you mention. Masks, generally okay, social distancing okay, but when you are in a bar and 25 years old, after a beer or two, "well, yeah, it is not too bad is it, I am not worried". Typical words uttered in interviews. The younger ones and the holidays returnees are getting us into trouble. So are the private parties, weddings and large birthday parties.

Normally we would have had our annual work get-together in September, but that has been cancelled. That's the way to do it.

I know you are in deep trouble in the US and I do not want to add insult to serious injury, but our boss Angela Merkel and the state bosses have talked to each other today (oh-oh...). Yes, bad news. Tougher measures: https://www.dw.com/en/germany-coronavirus-measures-masks/a-54714744

And even worse: the big Christmas markets in Cologne HAVE BEEN CANCELLED!! That seriously does not bode well for the others. Have not read the new restrictions in detail yet, but they are likely to include all such large scale events. Can you imagine Germany without Christmas markets? I cannot.

@djh1959 and @pully8 I hope you have some good news from Australia.

Ohhh, I think some serious neighbour's cats cuddling is in order.

notamermaid

Remember Notamermaid you told me to basically keep the faith well I did! Still here and have been able to get to our archive to actually carry out some research for the first time since March, people still want to know the history of a 210 year old canal. Keeping an eye on things around the world it’s interesting to note the rise and fall of infection rates and the different reasons why, and we’re  challenged about The Last Night of the Proms, a wrong step there could have been challenging. 
Sometimes we feel so ineffectual, knowing how difficult it is, because who amongst us can do anything to help. Well we all can by trying to follow the sometimes fiddly instructions. CA

21 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Remember Notamermaid you told me to basically keep the faith well I did! Still here and have been able to get to our archive to actually carry out some research for the first time since March, people still want to know the history of a 210 year old canal.

Hooray to that. 🎆 

210 year old canals always stay interesting in my humble opinion. (imagine Smile emoji at this point).

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added words

12 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

210 year old canals always stay interesting in my humble opinion. (imagine Smile emoji at this point).

They get even more interesting when they become 250 year old canals.

I just heard the annual drinking party in Kitchener -Waterloo is still a go and will begin the end of September and run for 3 weekends.   For the uninitiated this little party is actually larger than the original it is a copy of.  You might be familiar with the original...Germany's Oktoberfest!  They have cancelled the parade, though.     I shake my head in disbelief if this is actually true.

RB 

Apart from the sheer folly if it goes ahead, just think of the funny side if they did carry out with social distancing, etc.

There's always something new to find out about the canal even more interesting is when you discover what was thought to be a truth is actually a fabrication, nothing new there then.

Its an added interest when river cruising. CA

I just heard the annual drinking party in Kitchener -Waterloo is still a go and will begin the end of September and run for 3 weekends.   For the uninitiated this little party is actually larger than the original it is a copy of.  You might be familiar with the original...Germany's Oktoberfest!  They have cancelled the parade, though.     I shake my head in disbelief if this is actually true.
RB 

I don’t think so. When I click on tickets, I get 2 options
Oktoberfest-in-a-box (enhance your fest from home ...with awesome swag) and
Oktoberfest live Stream (This live stream will be packed full of Oktoberfest-themed entertainment...The event is free with a donation...Please celebrate the Spirit of Gemütlichkeit at home within your bubble or while practicing physical distancing ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

I don't see how they could run it with the limits on indoor venues.  Our local one that has been cancelled is an outdoor one, but they couldn't figure out how to properly provide the experience with social distancing.  We will have to take a drive to pick up their special Oktoberfest beer, and make our own dinner.  Good thing I grew up cooking German dishes!

Gnome 12,

Looks like they are referring to  microfesthallen events in local restaurants with special entertainment as well as the events you mentioned.  

Thank goodness they are not opening the large festhalls..  students from two large universities really do let loose .

RB

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Still here and have been able to get to our archive to actually carry out some research for the first time since March, people still want to know the history of a 210 year old canal. ... CA

Regent's Canal? We did a boat trip on that a few years ago...maybe when it was about 200 years old. Or are you referring to another canal?

3 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Gnome 12,

Looks like they are referring to  microfesthallen events in local restaurants with special entertainment as well as the events you mentioned.  

Thank goodness they are not opening the large festhalls..  students from two large universities really do let loose .

RB

Having been one of those university students in years past, I can attest to the level of fun & frolic that our local Oktoberfest provides.  

There is no way they would have any indoor events this year.  All indoor venues in Ontario  have limits on the number of people that can be there. I think planning a virtual event is a great move...

Fran

One of the effects of alcohol – increased loudness – is listed right on the labels ("alcohol, by volume").  But another – decreased common sense – has not yet been quantified.  So events like Octoberfest are very dangerous in these times.  😉

16 hours ago, notamermaid said:

@djh1959 and @pully8 I hope you have some good news from Australia.

Notamermaid, really there is no news at all.  Here in Melbourne, as you know, we have very strict Stage 4 restrictions and it appears to be working, albeit slowly.  Our numbers are falling, from around 750 per day in Victoria 3-4 weeks ago, to 100-150 per day now.  We hopefully have two weeks to go before the restrictions ease slightly, but that is only if the numbers keep coming down.

We too have mandatory mask wearing, but not just in shops, even when going for a walk, which is very annoying.  There is also a fine, but we still see lots of people not wearing masks.  Unfortunately exemptions are allowed for all sorts of reasons, which is a shame.  To me it should be that if you don't wear a mask, stay at home.

What a shame about the Christmas markets, hopefully Germany can pull their numbers into line quickly.

16 hours ago, notamermaid said:

14 hours ago, gnome12 said:

They get even more interesting when they become 250 year old canals.

Oh, yes. Fascinating structures getting ever more fascinating when they manage to stay with us over so many years without crumbling through neglect.

10 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Regent's Canal? We did a boat trip on that a few years ago...maybe when it was about 200 years old. Or are you referring to another canal?

If I may deduce: canalarchive, you are near Bath, is it the Kennet and Avon Canal?

Still have not been to Bath and that part of Somerset. Been to Salisbury and dashed through the countryside back from the Bristol channel (coming from Wales) once. The Germans favourite part of Britain which is Cornwall I have never seen. My preferred direction is North up on the M11 and then all the way to Scotch Corner...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Clarification

Excellent reasoning Notamermaid the canal amongst other splendid architecture has the longest straight flight of broad locks (at least 14ft wide) in the country. Unfortunately we don’t have the huge canals and rivers as the rest of Europe due to the lack of space but we make up for that in ‘compact and bijou’. My youngest daughter is holidaying at a Cornish farm now, evidently the cows decided to investigate the cottage at close quarters much to the delight of my grandson. We’re off to Scotland in a couple of weeks will report on there situation on our return. CA

@Daisi,

Thank you for the info. Yes, it is not looking good. Keep your borders closed, Canada! We are sending Coronavirus round Europe by plane. Best not to take it further. One headline from the UK today: "Coronavirus: Cases on Tui flight from Zante to Cardiff". A flight operated by Tui from the Greek island to Wales had seven positive cases from three different parties on board. Now the company and the Welsh government are urging all other 180 guests on board to have a test if they have symptoms or just self-isolate if they have not. They are not the first positive cases coming from Zante. It should be a warning sign for other European countries. It is frustrating to not be able to get out of this. And Angela Merkel is reminding us that winter is coming. Brilliant, love it.:classic_angry: Still, all of us that we are well (I hope you all are and I hope you are not grieving), have a job, food and drink, and a computer, let us be humble in the face of the story of this village. The headline from the BBC: "Coronavirus: Covid-19 fears forces "plague village" service online". Yes, it is talking about Eyam. For those outside of immediate Derbyshire and/or unfamiliar with detailed British history, I recommend reading up on it. Get the tissues ready if you are prone to shedding tears. Here is the article on today's memorial service: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53893531

Look after yourselves.

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Düsseldorf, city on the Rhine and capital of North-Rhine Westphalia, a) has cancelled one Christmas market but not all and b) is celebrating the start of Carnival on 11 November SOBER! The latter was the headline on the liveblog news this morning. How they are planning to enforce this is a mystery to me...

Carnival lives from being close to people in merriment, with hugging strangers (and kissing people you sometimes hardly know (eek!!!)) and alcohol in abundance. If you want to see my orderly country "de-stereotyped" stand at Cologne's main train station on 11 November at 5pm.

Much debate about how to proceed with Carnival festivities (article from before Düsseldorf's decision): https://m.dw.com/en/can-germany-keep-its-carnival-events-small/a-54712214

notamermaid

Here in the Capital things are going reasonably well. A summer of endless sunny days has really helped lift our spirits. For quite a while we had single digit daily COVID cases which was considered very good indeed. However we have slipped back somewhat and Saturday there were 30 and today another 21 new cases. Indications that large gatherings and house parties may be a factor for some of these. Despite mandatory masks and constant reminders of protocols we seem to be suffering from COVID Fatigue but know we need to keep our eye on the goal.

Kids start back to school on Tuesday with various iterations on attendance so we wait and hope and pray that goes well. I’ve started to receive emails from the river cruise companies again, especially Viking, and although we have no plans to book  at this point it is great to read and compare—just like the old days! Fingers crossed for an early end to this pandemic and wishing you all good health.

Here in Melbourne we have been given our "roadmap" out of our extremely stringent restrictions, and unfortunately the roadmap appears to be a road to nowhere.

Effectively we are still in lockdown with a curfew until at least the end of September, followed by a month when curfew moves back to 9pm and we can exercise outdoors for two hours rather than one.

From late October, so long as we can get cases down to a 14 day average of around 30-50 we can gather in groups of 5 (!!) outdoors.  No dining or entertainment though.

Finally from later in November, so long as we average only 5 cases per day, we can gather in groups of 10, and have up to 5 visitors from one family only in our homes.

The final stage involves no cases whatsoever for 14 days, then we can have groups of 20 in homes and 50 outside.  Dining and entertainment will then start to open up.

It is really very, very depressing as I simply cannot imagine that we will get cases that low, because virtually all our cases are in aged, hospital or disability care.

At this stage I cannot see a Christmas lunch with my family sadly.

Chin up, difficult I know, as you Aussies are so fond of BBQ’s during our complete lockdown we had a street BBG, difficult if your neighbours are miles away but doable in an ordinary street. BBQ in the front garden that’s all of you In your own front garden keeping social distances. It was a lot of fun on a street that is normally not meet and greet friendly we saw neighbours we hadn’t seen for months. As I have various health challenges I have only recently been let out, and that’s how it feels. So annoying when you see others flouting the recommendations, and of course some think it’s ‘big brother’ watching there again as we have found here sometimes the spread has been attributed to multi generational living accommodation, what to do to change that? We will get there but it’s going to take time and the fall out will hurt, my youngest daughter has already been made redundant mind you she’s quite philosophical about it, I wouldn’t be! At one point I got really down I’m better now but it still there. CA 

@djh1959

That is a brutal road map. As you indicated before, the lockdown has brought the numbers down, but your authorities are keen to keep them down with really hard measures. The toll on mental health is high. I have not been in proper curfew and the lockdown was not that proper either - I could have gone anywhere within the county but there would have been no point apart from going for a walk in the forest at the time when all amenities but the essential shops where closed. Mind you, we were told to avoid all unnecessary travel. Overall, my state has been doing okay in all this.

Now, with people back from holiday we are looking at the counter to see the tally. We register persistently over a thousand new positives per day. That is worrying but overall not too bad in a population of over 80 million that wants to celebrate Christmas markets and family parties. But a case in a school, a college and other establishments in the vicinity means the disease is too close to me for comfort. My neighbour told me yesterday she is going to the cinema this week! I could not do that.

The rule of thumb here as regards measures seems to be that as long as the track and trace system can still cope we will be alright locally, but the cut off figure calculation for new restrictions is still 50/7/100,000 as set as a rule by the federal government. 

We have a good health care system but apparently those institutions that monitor disease locally and do the testing and tracking are understaffed and use old lT in parts. The fact that some of these places send info by fax machine has almost become proverbial in the last few days, as a result much money has been promised to them for "upgrading".

The pandemic has changed my little world and my country. In a few instances for the better. Another one is the renewed interest of younger adults in the tourist attractions and nature in their own country and county, as confirmed again during my shift at the weekend. That is my silver lining and my consolation.

Hope you all have one, too.

notamermaid

Kids are back to school tomorrow and have to wear masks this and next week (then a new decision is made).

Numbers are higher than they have been but still not as steep as in Spain or France. I´m off for a river cruise tomorrow on the AmaKristina out of Cologne. I´ll wait and see whether we go upriver to Kehl to visit Strasbourg or not. The French government has declared status orange for Strasbourg and they are close to red. So far we Germans do not have a travel warning but this can change daily. We have to wait and see.

steamboats