River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

I watched an England game in a pub/inn with restaurant in 2018. Due to it being more of a restaurant than a drinking pub, it was pleasant. The pub down the road was packed. Oh, England lost that one, by the way.

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

No surprise there then! CA

Oh my goodness, yes, bad vibes from a German woman in Lincolnshire through the television screen. I should not have been there. 😉 Even the busy other pub didn't help to produce a better outcome.

notamermaid

Fußbaalll!! What a drama yesterday! I hate penalty shootouts. Switzerland narrowly beat France in a penalty shootout after a dramatic 120 minutes. Read about it online if you are interested. It's a football thriller. The other match was also great.

Tonight, will drama unfold? Who will win in this classic meet of two nations? I have invited a very dear person for the national anthem and the match (funny how really patriotic one gets on such occasions). 🇩🇪☀️🍻🙂

But first, miscellaneous news that, despite us looking positively to the future, must not be ignored: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-delta-variant-cases-more-than-double-in-germany/a-58086507

Stay vigilant.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Fußbaalll!! What a drama yesterday! I hate penalty shootouts. Switzerland narrowly beat France in a penalty shootout after a dramatic 120 minutes. Read about it online if you are interested. It's a football thriller. The other match was also great.

Tonight, will drama unfold? Who will win in this classic meet of two nations? I have invited a very dear person for the national anthem and the match (funny how really patriotic one gets on such occasions). 🇩🇪☀️🍻🙂

But first, miscellaneous news that, despite us looking positively to the future, must not be ignored: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-delta-variant-cases-more-than-double-in-germany/a-58086507

Stay vigilant.

notamermaid

Yes, @notamermaid, 14 goals in only TWO games, AND a shootout!!!  We found out a couple of years ago that my great grandfather came to America from Belgium at the turn of the century (thought we were 100% of Quebecois ancestry), so I now have a horse in this race!!! And they just happen to be ranked #1.............

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

so I now have a horse in this race!!!

A convert to European football, hooray! :classic_biggrin: And it only took a couple of matches and a distant ancestor from Belgium!

I did not know Belgium is ranked number 1. I did not read it, but apparently CNN ran an article a week ago or so, how astonishing it is that a country of only 11 million (and culturally slightly at unease with itself and only independent since 1830, two additions by me) can produce such a top class football team.

I think it must be a mix of the old tribal Gaul, real Belgian fries and chocolate for energy... Perhaps a beer on a day off helps as well.

Hope you can come some time to see where your ancestor lived. Belgium is interesting beyond chocolate. The cartoon/comics culture is amazing and there is also some lovely countryside along the Meuse and in the hills towards the German border (oh, the tourism employee in me is at work again).

notamermaid

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Yes, @notamermaid, 14 goals in only TWO games, AND a shootout!!!  We found out a couple of years ago that my great grandfather came to America from Belgium at the turn of the century (thought we were 100% of Quebecois ancestry), so I now have a horse in this race!!! And they just happen to be ranked #1.............

You would have had ancestors from France to be a true Quebecois, so now you can pull for both teams. 🙂

• Like 1

notamermaid, With deepest sympathy on “ Die Mannschaft” exit. 😱😭

And, Canal archive, props to “The Three Lions.”  

C0845A36-CBAA-4060-B4E4-0168C0486129.png.eddb693d50726afee176d34bfe0fb8a0.png

Could we see Switzerland v Denmark in the final?

Edited by CPT Trips

@Host JazzbeauYou didn't like the temperature discussion in the photo quiz, so I moved it here. Lytton BC set an all-time Canadian temperature record for the third day in a row, at 49.5 degrees celsius, or over 121 degrees fahrenheit. I don't know how anyone can possibly survive in that heat!

Thanks @gnome12 –  I rarely step in to limit off-topic discussions (and often join them!), but this was making it hard to follow the quiz.

49.5C doesn't even register on my rhyme!  [If 30 is hot, what the h*ll is 50?  Actually I think h*ll is exactly what it is!]

BIL used to live in Vegas and tried to convince us that 100+ wasn't so bad 'because it's a dry heat.'  When he was dying we had several occasions to go there – and dry heat or not 100+ is unbearable!  I can't even imagine what 120+ feels like.

Thanks CPT Trips our youngsters and one old man did really well to the extent I actually took my fingers from my ears and eyes from my kindle. These are the kids that swept the world a few years ago, under 21s, 18, and 16s they won just about everything going. I’m so glad that some of them haven’t been swallowed up by huge clubs to stop others getting them so there talent is smothered. 
Jazz, the Ukrainians we’re superb but regardless of who gets through we all have to beat the Belgians they are the bogey men.
Even our future king took his son to the match and even William showed just a little partisanship. CA

Here in Australia, most of our states are in lockdown.  For once, my state, Victoria, is not.

I am finding it fairly ridiculous, as the number of cases is quite low compared to the rest of the world.  We only have one person in hospital, but every new case is the Delta variant, which is appearing to spread far, far quicker than what we had before.

There are calls to stop incoming flights, which I agree with, because we have a very low vaccination rate here.  I think only 25% of Australians have had one shot and less than 5% have had two, primarily becaause we had so much trouble getting Astra Zenica supplies from Europe, and now Pfizer from the US.

From what we are told, this should start to improve rapidly as we are now manufacturing Astra Zenica and have been promised much greater supply of Pfizer and Moderna later in the year.  However, Europe promised AZ too, then reneged on the deal.

This seems to be an endless situation, made much harder by seeing how much freedom there is in the northern hemisphere.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So what do I do now?  Half Ukrainian, half English!!!  :classic_ohmy:

Sing both national anthems, cheer for both, double the excitement! Bit weird at first, but it works. At the end you can say the team that you wanted to win won.

🙂

notamermaid

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

notamermaid, With deepest sympathy on “ Die Mannschaft” exit. 😱😭

And, Canal archive, props to “The Three Lions.”  

C0845A36-CBAA-4060-B4E4-0168C0486129.png.eddb693d50726afee176d34bfe0fb8a0.png

Could we see Switzerland v Denmark in the final?

Thank you. I have recovered from the shock I think. Drowned my sorrow in a pint of Guinness together with a dear person and reminisced about the good old days when football had not political statements and there were no female commentators on German telly (I am a girl but but some things just do not work). Last night's games were with male commentators, thankfully. Nice work by the English team, they have learned to play good football again.

Now onward, we have a pandemic to deal with (infection rate in my state down to 5), need to sort precious Summer holiday plans and there is a general election in Germany coming up in September. But first, we shall try to send some good vibes to the Ukrainian team through our television sets.

Hoping for the Swiss to win this tournament.

notamermaid

Although we aren't as hot as the western end of the country (yet), we have been suffering under 33+ temps.  I managed to get the house down to 28 this morning, but it's climbing back up.  Our only air is a small a/c in the bedroom, otherwise we are using fans.

Kinda wishing we were back on the Rhine right now, this is an hour from Colmar. :https://www.thelocal.fr/20210629/in-pictures-french-town-hit-by-freak-june-hailstorm/

Hope they all manage to dig out without to much damage. 

I still say watch the Belgians. Enjoy watching some superb athletes from all corners of Europe we can’t all win but we can all raise a glass 🥃 to their dedication to their sport. Notice them at the end of the games many of them play in the same teams. One thing I do agree with Notamermaid on and that is some of the women commentators are definitely not good but I suppose political correctness reigns. CA

Well, now that the Swiss are out and the Belgians are out, surprisingly, who may win? I am undecided as to who I would like to win. There is this wish that the Ukraine beats England...

To the other thing. Rhineland-Palatinate has just been given a new "Verordnung". Those determine the regulations during the pandemic and we are now on issue number 24 since this all started. Now, what could you expect if you went on a river cruise? The state is very much open. We have gatherings of up to 25 people in public (so, guided tours work), you can visit museums without pre-booking (but check with each one before you turn up, just in case they do not, there may be stricter ones), you can dine indoors (but certain rules remain). There are large events (but are subject to restrictions that vary depending on size). All shops are open. Basically (no guarantee for details varying), take a mask wherever you go, you do not need it outdoors unless there is a gathering where you will need it as you may get too close to people, you will need it indoors in most settings at some point. You will need testing for very few outdoor settings and just some indoor settings. I have just spent 10 minutes going through the rules for knowing them at work (tourism) and have not read all of them (no need to learn about the situation in schools for example).

All in all life feels relatively normal. But the delta variant is having folks worried. And we will "close the gates" to any country outside of the EU that we consider a risk area that may bring such cases to us. We have even dared do it to Portugal that is in the EU, so who knows, we may have to do it to another one of them (within reason).

notamermaid

Don't get me wrong - there are "some" hard core soccer/football fans in the US but it seems like a small minority compared to how all of Europe seems to get into it. For Europeans - it is like our Super Bowl or National Championship game for college football.

Having been in Europe during game time - you guys are definitely "all in". Pretty cool to watch!

Edited by Coral

On another subject, is it just me, or does anyone else giggle when they hear the latest Viking cruises commercial.  It's got the sad piano music, and Torstein Hagan states, "This last year has felt like a long Norwegian winter.......".  His delivery is flat and monotone (not speaking in his first language, I get that), but he sounds so depressed----maybe I would too if I had lost as much money as he probably has over the last year.  I can't help but laugh---it's kinda how we all feel, really......PLEASE, PLEASE, LET US ALL TRAVEL AGAIN!!!!!!

Edited by sharkster77

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Don't get me wrong - there are "some" hard core soccer/football fans in the US but it seems like a small minority compared to how all of Europe seems to get into it. For Europeans - it is like our Super Bowl or National Championship game for college football.

Having been in Europe during game time - you guys are definitely "all in". Pretty cool to watch!

Toronto however, because of the large number of immigrants, generally goes crazy during the World Cup and the Euros. This year seems quite subdued, although  there are quite a few cars driving around flying flags of the various nations. Because dining in is still not allowed, fans have to hang out at outdoor patios, and our weather hasn't been great.