River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

4 hours ago, SCBarker said:

Same here.  I was sent home April, but back to the office by May.

There has been some definite changes though. There's a shortage of vehicles, houses, and skyrocketed rental car costs.  A lot of the lower wage service workers have not returned, and likely won't for their previous wage.  Domestic vacationing appears to be at record levels.

Yes - I probably returned to the office in May also. Same situation locally (houses, cars, restaurants, jobs, etc...)

We have a lot of people working remotely still here.  Some offices say that it will stay that way, or go to a part office / part work from home environment.  Why not, if they can get out of their leases for office space, no having to pay for parking for their workforce, no subsidised cafeteria, no utilities, cleaners etc., it's a win for them.  I know my niece who commutes 1 hr into the city for her Govt. job will be more than glad to work from home and only having to go in once a week or so.  I know retail will be back to normal once this is over, as well as restaurants, but I think there are going to be a lot of empty office spaces in the cities when this is done.

They just announced that the schools will not be re-opening until Sept.  I know it's tough on kids & parents, but I think this is for the best.  The kids would just be getting back into school routine and the year will end.  I wonder how many will remain in the home school programs once this is all over.  If they can handle it, some may really excel working with no class room distraction.

Daisi, you will certainly enjoy your stay at home restrictions being lifted.

We have been lucky since the end of February, when life pretty much got back to normal here.  We have been able to have visitors, dine inside, all shops open and able to travel interstate.  International travel is still strictly forbidden, except for the chosen few - the very rich, film stars, sports people lol.

Now, we are back in Stage 3 lockdown, no visitors, only essential food and medical shopping and can only leave our house for 2 hours for shopping or exercise.  Last week we could only travel 5km, but they have generously extended that to 10km this week.  It makes no difference though, as everything is closed.

It is super hard to take after being in full lockdown for over four months last year, and half lockdown until well after Christmas.

We are hoping that it might end next Thursday, but they have already stated that we won't be allowed visitors for many weeks.  All this for 50 cases seems somewhat disproportionate but it is what it is.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 6:56 AM, SCBarker said:

There has been some definite changes though. There's a shortage of vehicles, houses, and skyrocketed rental car costs.

Same here - especially in the housing market. A home just a few houses down the street from me just sold for $127,000.00 above asking price - bidders came 'out of the woodwork'. Unbelievable! 

• Like 1

A few figures today. We have reached two milestones this week: 50 million jabs have been administered and 20 percent of the population is fully vaccinated. In my state Rhineland-Palatinate there have been no deaths reported in connection with a Covid infection in the last 24 hours. Also, my states infection rate is 29, the federal one is 30.

Mood is upbeat here, with caution.

The 24 hour race at Nürburgring race track is going ahead this weekend with thousands of spectators, but it is outdoors and scientifically monitored.

And I have been to my library this week. 🙂

Yesterday, I saw people indoors sitting in a restaurant (I picked up food). I could not do that yet, too scared. But I think a trip to a beer garden is in order.

notamermaid

• Like 3

Just when you think things are getting better, someone throws a spanner in the works. A student returning from India, a young man of 30, has sadly died after a covid-19 infection. The city of Dresden has put the tower block where he lived under strict, police-enforced, quarantine. All residents will be tested. Only those with a valid reason, for example, permanent residence, after allowed into Germany from India. Tragic and disconcerting, even if Dresden is far away from me.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

wow library haven’t tried that yet!

I find places where you have to wear a mask easy, but I could not sit indoors where people are allowed to sit and eat without a mask, even though they all have to have a negative test.

@djh1959 Do you have to wear masks indoors when you do not have any confirmed cases? Do you have to now?

notamermaid

Even fully vaccinated (and fully protected which I will be in 8 days) we here in Ontario are required to wear a mask indoors in any public space. (We have no indoor dining; at the moment we don't even have patio dining.)

Notamermaid so sad. There are gaps here but masks and this does surprise and please me as across the age ranges the wearing of masks is becoming natural, okay take them off and put them on again it’s becoming less of a pain. Mind you the style and pattern help some are extremely stylish. (Especially the ones I make - ha ha) CA

Our local library that has been in the forefront of reopening has now reopened their reading room – for people to sit and read!  Normality!!!  And I just got my hair cut without wearing a mask.  The hair around my ears is cut much smoother than it has been over the last few months. 

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our local library that has been in the forefront of reopening has now reopened their reading room – for people to sit and read!  Normality!!!  And I just got my hair cut without wearing a mask.  The hair around my ears is cut much smoother than it has been over the last few months. 

We haven’t been allowed to get haircuts at all since Nov 23. I got mine cut on Nov 21, and from wearing it very short for many years it is now down over well below the bottom of my ears. When salons reopen, I’m sure we will still be masked. 

I was at the hairdressers a few weeks ago my lovely guy sent me a text with a time and day. His salon is very small even getting my first appointment with him had a waiting list and I’m not giving it up. He has a really neat sideline, he runs the British Great Dane rescue so occasional bonus a beautiful Dane to cuddle. (I mean dog!) CA

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I was at the hairdressers a few weeks ago my lovely guy sent me a text with a time and day. His salon is very small even getting my first appointment with him had a waiting list and I’m not giving it up. He has a really neat sideline, he runs the British Great Dane rescue so occasional bonus a beautiful Dane to cuddle. (I mean dog!) CA

Personally I think I’d prefer the human variety, but chacun à son goût. 😀

9 hours ago, notamermaid said:

@djh1959 Do you have to wear masks indoors when you do not have any confirmed cases? Do you have to now?

notamermaid

Up until two weeks ago, we had no mask rules at all.  Since the latest "outbreak" and lockdown number 4, masks are now mandatory everywhere except in your own home.  I do abide by this, except when out walking by myself, as I find the need for a mask out on a track a little ridiculous.
Indoor mask rules don't apply when eating or drinking or if you have an exemption.  We must have a lot of people with exemptions, often all in the one family it seems.
Lots of people walk around with an empty coffee cup or water bottle to get around it.
Bear in mind we have a total of 60 cases, all in isolation.
Unfortunately they are all the Indian variant, and it seems both the kappa and delta strains.
Time will tell how we go, but it is only convincing me that we cannot and should not travel country to country just yet.

• Like 2

We have been out west for the past week, in Utah and now in Idaho. Very few masks to be seen anywhere. Signs say to wear them if unvaccinated but no proof required. Hotels are operating pretty normally. Only difference is that there is no daily housekeeping. 

Lots of indoor dining, at slightly reduced capacity. Here in Boise the streets are jammed all evening and restaurants look crowded. It's a weird feeling after a year plus of masks and social distancing. We will see what Oregon is doing next.

14 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We have been out west for the past week, in Utah and now in Idaho. Very few masks to be seen anywhere. Signs say to wear them if unvaccinated but no proof required. Hotels are operating pretty normally. Only difference is that there is no daily housekeeping. 

Lots of indoor dining, at slightly reduced capacity. Here in Boise the streets are jammed all evening and restaurants look crowded. It's a weird feeling after a year plus of masks and social distancing. We will see what Oregon is doing next.

I agree. We are fully opened up and it feels weird. I am still wearing a mask in stores but am one of the few.

I hope you are going to the coast in Oregon!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Hi JP😃 hope you are both having a wonderful trip! Tell Chris hi from me too.

• Thanks 1

A brief note.

I am busy working, the weekend has seen even more people out and about than the weekend before that, for a moment you could think life was normal if it was not for the discarded masks on the ground and the signs that are still on doors of shops and public buildings.

The incidence rate in my state is down to 25.

I am now on a second waiting list for a vaccine, the jab may be happening as early as next week. Getting kind of nervous.

notamermaid

• Like 2

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

A brief note.

I am busy working, the weekend has seen even more people out and about than the weekend before that, for a moment you could think life was normal if it was not for the discarded masks on the ground and the signs that are still on doors of shops and public buildings.

The incidence rate in my state is down to 25.

I am now on a second waiting list for a vaccine, the jab may be happening as early as next week. Getting kind of nervous.

notamermaid

Hope you get it soon! Are you most likely getting AZ?

Our 25s to 29s can book their first jab from tomorrow so we’re on track to get all adults vaccinated by the end of July. So hopefully we will see if this herd immunity works. Amazing news about the Alzheimer’s drug from the USA what a breakthrough i really hope it works. CA

42 minutes ago, Coral said:

Hope you get it soon! Are you most likely getting AZ?

No, it is not recommended for the under 60's here, so I have thrown this out of my official choices, i.e. I could get it after a long talk with a doctor at my own risk. Too many stories of adverse effects as well. It could be Moderna but will most likely be Pfizer BioNTech.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Our 25s to 29s can book their first jab from tomorrow so we’re on track to get all adults vaccinated by the end of July. So hopefully we will see if this herd immunity works. Amazing news about the Alzheimer’s drug from the USA what a breakthrough i really hope it works. CA

Are those older eligible for 2nd jabs?  We are allowing the 12+ get first jabs now, and trying to get 2nd jabs.  Only problem is, province says that the 80's & 70's can go ahead, but no vaccines!

56 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

No, it is not recommended for the under 60's here, so I have thrown this out of my official choices, i.e. I could get it after a long talk with a doctor at my own risk. Too many stories of adverse effects as well. It could be Moderna but will most likely be Pfizer BioNTech.

notamermaid

One of my lifelong BFF's is a doctor who has been researching the vaccines and he told me to get the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine above all others, second choice is Moderna.   I got Pfizer with barely a reaction - my arm was sore at the injection site for 1 day with the first jab and 4 days with the second but no worse than when I get the flu shot.  My husband had no reaction at all.    It is also known now that Pfizer and Moderna work very well against the existing variants.  So if you get either of these vaccines, please know they work very, very well.  Pfizer was the predominant vaccine given in my area from January through April at our vaccine hub.  We hit herd immunity in early May (65% immune), our new infection rate has been 0 for 7 days now and we are completely opened up with very few places requiring face masks anymore - only health care facilities and a few other places require masks. 82% of people in my city now have immunity from either having Covid-19 or being vaccinated. Our schools will no longer require masks as of June 1. Most of the unvaccinated here now are children under 12.  If you were here, it would seem almost as though the pandemic never happened.  May this happen for you, notamermaid, and everyone else everywhere who is still waiting as quickly as possible!

• Like 1