River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Yes, I think there are a lot of Football fans in Canada (speaking of the European variety).  I know that some of the local patios here are all advertising the games, and I definitely won't forget being in Ottawa one year when Italy won...didn't matter where you were, there were cars driving around honking horns, people hanging out of the windows and basically going crazy!  We were up in the city last week and saw lots of the car flags out, so I guess things haven't changed.  Not as obvious in our quiet part of the province, but, we don't have the population either. 

Many years ago we where in Paris for a long weekend at a fish restaurant near the Odeon when France won a World Cup semi final the service was a tad slow as we found they were listening to the game on the radio. So we asked them for updates on the game so service improved and we had to explain what was happening to a group from the USA sat near us. Walking back to our hotel was amazing the roads were full of cars and people celebrating. The French celebrate so well.

• Like 1

Our leader has just been to see "PM no.5", as Deutsche Welle put it. Incredible that she has outlasted four. She was apparently allowed to travel. I have no idea what rules she has to follow back on German soil. I still cannot do the return trip in a time frame that is sensible and worth my while. Minimum combined quarantine is 19 days.

I am sorry to read that although football has gone spectacularly well for England, the situation is going spectacularly badly. I was shocked to hear that. Will many people take their masks off after the mandate runs out? Who knows.

@Canal archive I do hope your canal cruise is still on.

Our weather has been quite severe today.

notamermaid

Notamermaid we also wonder as there was no prior quarantine either some people evidently are to special to warrant it. I just hope we don’t discover a lambda variant now.

Word has it we will have a choice where face masks are concerned. I will wait for the 19th to finally find out, the press everywhere is getting more and more corrupt and getting worse. I doubt very much that we will do our Canal du Nivernais cruise as members of our nation wouldn’t be welcome in any case. At the moment we’re feeling that the whole COVID debacle is our fault. China seems to have got off Scott free but then we’re a lot closer.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:35 AM, Coral said:

Don't get me wrong - there are "some" hard core soccer/football fans in the US but it seems like a small minority compared to how all of Europe seems to get into it.

There's a few of us. And I like to think we're growing. I was on my way into the match Saturday....

FB_IMG_1625542992785.jpg

• Like 2

Oh yes, thanks for the link. My big shock just before midnight. I find it difficult to follow the logic but it is good news for keen travellers. It reduces quarantine but not enough for me to be able to go as I am not fully vaccinated. This risk for me is too great with the UK having the highest infection rate in Europe right now. I will aim for Würzburg and then Alsace. Perhaps England in Winter. Ohhh, it hurts.

But hooray, you can come to us. And perhaps to France very soon.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The new Cruise Critic COVID rules apply to this thread too.  Please keep discussion to how things are where you are, including Covid rules and especially effect on cruising – but avoid 'playing doctor on the internet.' 😉

Now, I am in not so good a mood today as things are getting a little bit worse in the EU and Britain. This is happening at a time when travel is increasing. Apparently many British book holidays in Spain where there is the lambda variant. Germany has just declared Spain a risk area again. Rules will not be as strict as previously, i.e. you can avoid quarantine if you are fully vaccinated. The delta variant is now the dominant strain in Germany and we are fighting to keep the infection rate low, with apprehension looking to Britain.

What will happen to river cruises and other holidays in Germany if the rate rises again? In theory, they may be stopped again. So I am looking to the Netherlands and wonder what they will do as the infections have shot up there since clubs have been reopened and mask wearing was mostly scrapped. Will cruises stop at Emmerich on the Dutch border? Will those that are not vaccinated be allowed to step on land in Nijmegen? No clue what will be. For that reason, seeing that Rhineland-Palatinate only allowed river cruises when the infection rate went down to good levels below 50, I would only book at short notice and not a Christmas market cruise yet.

My dentist said today that she has no fixed Summer holiday plans, it will be a last minute decision. Many people do that or book within Germany.

I will stick to inland - Würzburg. If that works out, then Alsace. If that works out, a daring quick trip to Belgium or Northern France. If Northern France, then I may stand at the beach where on a clear day I can see the White Cliffs of Dover, wave to the beloved island and say "perhaps see you in November".

German doctors are getting closer to finding out how long Covid happens. I hope it can help my friend's assistant who has got that. She has been off work for six weeks now. Another reason to keep infection rates low. I will keep my mask on till we are at zero. German intensive care doctors are calling for the mask mandates to remain for a long time. They have been reintroduced in Israel for good reason. Expect them on your river cruise in indoor settings. Could be a long time till we get rid of them.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Luckily we here in Victoria are doing well and have now had ten days of zero new cases.

Unfortunately, in Sydney, in New South Wales, things are not so good.  The Delta variant is causing chaos there and case numbers are creeping up daily.  They are now all in lockdown, but so far it is not helping.

I really don't know how we will get rid of this.

I was recently exposed to someone for probably 30+ minutes who had been fully vaccinated (same day I was vaccinated) and tested positive for COVID and had symptoms they mistook for asthma. While I am also vaccinated - I am staying low for the moment. It becomes complicated as I have a dental visit on Monday. The dentist said I could come as long as I have no symptoms.

I know break throughs are possible. I am starting to worry about the variants. I don't think I am ready to travel yet.

I think things can get worse again. My county and state are no longer reporting cases, only deaths.

@Coral All the best, not good. Hope you stay symptom-free. I cannot give you any advise of course but here in Germany they politely recommend that fully vaccinated people have regular tests especially when they have been travelling. The delta variant is harder to control. Fully vaccinated people are known here to have had mild symptoms and passed it on. A study of Mainz University followed over 10,000 people over nine months. Interesting results. One big thing is the reduced risk through mask-wearing, which we already know. The other is the staggering number of people who had been infected and never showed symptoms. It happened more in men than women.

It further encourages me to wear a mask and even be careful when around vaccinated people.I am a little apprehensive about my trip to Würzburg but I will just stay as careful as ever and I managed it last year.

The IG River Cruise and another institution (do not remember the name) had drawn up the health and hygiene protocols for river cruising in accordance with the regulations of the various governments. It will be interesting to follow this up and see what river cruise companies will do that have a fully vaccinated crew and fully vaccinated passengers. It looks as if even on such a ship it is possible to have people infect each other, seeing that the delta variant is now all around us to a lesser or greater degree. Testing still sounds a good idea to me.

We now have one person reporting back from Italy and others will hopefully follow soon with encouraging messages.

@Coral I can understand that you do not feel ready to travel. I am very skeptical about venturing far. Cases are rising again in many countries in Europe - and the US I have read. Everybody needs to make their own risk assessment, be it river cruising or other travel.

notamermaid

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Coral said:

I was recently exposed to someone for probably 30+ minutes who had been fully vaccinated (same day I was vaccinated) and tested positive for COVID and had symptoms they mistook for asthma. While I am also vaccinated - I am staying low for the moment. It becomes complicated as I have a dental visit on Monday. The dentist said I could come as long as I have no symptoms.

I know break throughs are possible. I am starting to worry about the variants. I don't think I am ready to travel yet.

I think things can get worse again. My county and state are no longer reporting cases, only deaths.

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that you are perfectly fine with no symptoms/infection and I completely understand your concern regarding the mutations. I have no cruises booked for 2021 but do have 2 cruises booked for 2022 - I’m concerned regarding my planned visit to Russia next year. I would love to book a Xmas market cruise but I will wait & see how things develop over the next few months.

I am so very weary of this virus - I want things to return to normal. 😩

Stay safe!

• Like 1

@dogs4fun @capriccioand @notamermaid 

Thanks for your thoughts. Two weekends ago when planning an April 2022 trip - I started having second thoughts (cruise and then river cruise in Europe). I was worried if I had to test on my 2nd cruise and was positive, what would happen. I was thinking at the time if I tested positive, I would probably be asymptotic. This past week had me wondering how long these vaccines work. I would have left days before my 1 year anniversary of my first dose and was thinking we would need a booster and wondered if they would let me get it earlier. Now, who knows about boosters with Pfizer saying 6 months - that means all of those medical professionals who got Pfizer early on maybe due for a booster now and we (CDC) is not recommending it yet. Long story short - I cancelled the Crystal river cruise (due to rumors that they maybe selling). I haven't cancelled the regular cruise but was thinking I would move it to the fall as opposed to the spring. I have Future Cruise Credit with both companies that expires in December. 

Yes - I was totally thrown for a loop on Friday when my friend/coworker called (I was with her on Wednesday). I am super cautious and only hang out with vaccinated people. I had to call our COVID coordinator at work and she advised wearing a mask for a week while at work. I am trying to go to the next step and will try to stay near my desk. Now I don't remember if she said a week from exposure or a week from when I found out.

I am disappointed out County/State is not reporting cases so we have no clue how things are where I live. Our state has free COVID testing but it is being shut down in 9 days. This sounds absurd considering we boarder Missouri which is a hot area right now for COVID.

So far, I have no symptoms. My friend has mild symptoms though her chest has been tight and her sister (who was vaccinated in December/January time frame) does have worse symptoms. She had her lungs x-rayed and they do not look good. I think most symptoms show up in 5-7 days so that will start Monday for me.

Thanks for being a sounding board and for your supportive posts!

On 7/10/2021 at 10:28 AM, djh1959 said:

I really don't know how we will get rid of this.

We cannot. Or so the politicians and scientists say. I think it was clear to me when it was first announced some way back in the early summer last year when our leader talked about it. The hope for me was it would turn into a flu type infection which was a possibility that I read as this was what happened over time to the Spanish flu. I would like to tell you about Britain and the flu and plans but I fear the CC rules would mean I am straying too far from the subject again.

Onto sad things: I have read the news this morning that the first person in Australia has died of Covid-19 this year. It must be a blow to Australian souls. Here people still die by the dozens of Covid-19 everyday (reports at the weekends are lower), but it is something we brutally live with, hoping that one day we will get to zero.

So, big decision day for England. Twice! Well, today Fußbaalll!

Tomorrow, lifting restrictions on 19 July or not.

And weirdly, both will have an effect on Europe and river cruising. An island is an island, an island with people on it is only an island if it keeps all its people on the island and lets noone in. At least this is how I see it in this pandemic.

This week at work, for the first time since December I have dealt with tourists from the width and breadth of Germany. I hope it stays that way. Looking forward to seeing more foreigners soon.

notamermaid

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coral said:

So far, I have no symptoms. My friend has mild symptoms though her chest has been tight and her sister (who was vaccinated in December/January time frame) does have worse symptoms. She had her lungs x-rayed and they do not look good. I think most symptoms show up in 5-7 days so that will start Monday for me.

Coral, I am glad to hear that you are okay. I hope your friend and her sister get better very soon. I also do not understand the decision about testing. We still have tons of centers that will likely remain for some time, although of course in villages testing has always been a logistical challenge and there things will likely decrease in capacity.

I am sorry to read about your decision to cancel the river cruise, not good for your soul. But I understand it. Good that you have the ocean cruise to look forward to.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Coral, I am glad to hear that you are okay. I hope your friend and her sister get better very soon. I also do not understand the decision about testing. We still have tons of centers that will likely remain for some time, although of course in villages testing has always been a logistical challenge and there things will likely decrease in capacity.

I am sorry to read about your decision to cancel the river cruise, not good for your soul. But I understand it. Good that you have the ocean cruise to look forward to.

notamermaid

Still feeling good right now. Though most feel symptoms starting at 5 days which will be tomorrow. 

I think I am going to move the cruise to the Med to fall 2022. I wish we could predict the future!

• Like 1

Where I am things are looking okay with the apprehension of things to come especially when school holidays have started, i.e. where will people travel and how do we get the children back safely into school at the end of summer?

Further up the Rhine the situation has also improved much but Baden-Wurttemberg has a tendency to have a higher incidence rate than we do.

A bigger problem for river cruises in Germany is the surge of water rather than cases.

If you went on a river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam starting today you would sail slowly only and likely hit the river traffic ban on Wednesday. That could stop you for two days if you are unlucky, only to hit the surge of Covid-19 cases in the Netherlands. There nightlife has had to shut down again. The Netherlands are worried that they will be declared a risk zone again which would curtail tourism from foreign countries: https://nltimes.nl/2021/07/11/dutch-regions-likely-reach-highest-risk-level-coronavirus-map

No, river cruising in Europe is still not straightforward and planning is still awkward.

notamermaid

@notamermaid, yes, I heard from our cousins in North Brabant, they say festivals have been cancelled, and are very worried things are going to get bad again.

We went for a drive yesterday, stopping at our local locks, then down to Lake Ontario and along the St. Lawrence to go home.  Of course, being all outdoors, masks were really only worn at local flea markets or garage sales, but it was nice to see people starting to get out and about.  Several smaller towns are closing streets for patios to help restaurants make up some income, and it certainly was a great day for it yesterday.  Stopped at a drive-thru for a light dinner (ok, filled up on ice cream earlier, but it's summer!) and my husband commented about how long it's been and how strange it felt "going out" for dinner!  

Hopefully our numbers remain low and Friday when we are supposed to move to being able to eat indoors, and more capacity in stores, thing will start to feel a little more normal.  Masks will still be worn I think until at least September, but to tell the truth, it's becoming a habit to park the car, grab the mask, and go, so that's ok.

@sharkster77, I hope you have both vaccines (or the JJ), as it looks like if and when the border opens, you will need proof.  Still saying "a while', but hey, that could be later this month, or August.  Crossing fingers for your trip.

• Like 1

Thanks @Daisifor the update.  Both dear wife and I are fully vaxxed with Moderna.  Vaccine cards are with our passports, both waiting anxiously for travel!  Looking forward for any announcements as July 21 gets closer.  

Here in the US, Dr Fauci is right---we are headed toward having two Americas. In New England/eastern NY and NJ, vaccine rates are high, and pretty much only the unvaccinated are getting sick. life for the vaccinated is returning to normal.  In other areas (whose politics differ from NE/NY/NJ, but I digress), vaccination rates are low, as low as 20% in some counties, and hospitals are filling up again, with a sense of dread going into the fall.

• Like 2

I know our Government is working on a "vaccine passport" like the one the EU has.  Quebec is issuing it's own in Sept., but will only really be good probably in Quebec, and only needed if numbers go up.  I don't know what they are going to do for countries outside of the EU who don't have the QR code passports.  Right now, you have to download an app called ArriveCan, upload a plan for quarantine (even if you are a vaccinated Canadian, just in case you have a negative test upon entry), and can store your vaccine information there.  You may wish to check it out, to see if you can do that, then you may not need to bring your cards.