How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Interesting aside to the Covoid Lockdown ..the number of reported flu cases is well down .It will be interesting to see what happens as things get back to the usual .

Yes same here, which is good news.  My neighbour was in intensive care and nearly died from the flu a few years back, but I didn't worry about the flu until then.  

28 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Another interesting aside ,from a weekend report , many people were amazed how their credit card debt slumped as they were not out spending .☝️ 

The new danger is online shopping. 😁

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Another interesting aside ,from a weekend report , many people were amazed how their credit card debt slumped as they were not out spending .☝️ 

That may apply to some but not all. That said, we were some of the lucky ones as we had $0 spend on travel and what we had spent is now only good for future trips, so that is a saving.

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I know but people who are avoiding going to shopping centres are now buying more online.

Yes, my daughters buy much more online now.  It is amazing what they buy on line and from where in Australia, such as Perth and Hobart.  Must be good for small Australian businesses.  

34 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, my daughters buy much more online now.  It is amazing what they buy on line and from where in Australia, such as Perth and Hobart.  Must be good for small Australian businesses.  

And not just Australia. I buy a lot of plus size clothing from overseas because there is such a limited selection in Australia, especially clothing made from natural fabrics.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And not just Australia. I buy a lot of plus size clothing from overseas because there is such a limited selection in Australia, especially clothing made from natural fabrics.

That is a good idea.  Clothes that I can buy off the rack in the US just aren't available in Australia.  

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What brands do you purchase online OzKiwiJJ? 

Leigh

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is a good idea.  Clothes that I can buy off the rack in the US just aren't available in Australia.  

Macy's delivers to Australia. In fact I think most of the main US department stores do. 

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What brands do you purchase online OzKiwiJJ? 

Leigh

Mostly I buy linen and cotton clothing from Marks & Spencer. Mostly pants, tshirts and polo shirts. Simple wardrobe basics that are hard to get reliably in Australia as it can be very hit and miss, one year the Australian stores have some items I like, next year there is nothing. I used to also get bras from M&S but they've stopped selling the style I like - one reason why I'm pissed off about this damn virus ruining my Europe trip, I'd planned a day to shop in M&S and try things on.

I buy knickers from Berlei - so much easier than traipsing around the department stores hoping a) they have the style I want and b) they have my size.

I've taken the risk and bought swimsuits online and they were OK.

I've bought a few things from Macy's. I mostly like the Michael Kors evening tops but I stocked up big time in Hawaii last year so I won't need any more for a while. Sometimes their descriptions aren't accurate though. I bought one pretty top that was supposed to be 100% cotton. It was actually polyester but I decided to keep it as it was so pretty.

I buy beautiful cotton nightwear from David Nieper in the UK. Expensive as hell but beautifully comfortable. I found it impossible to get what I wanted anywhere in Australia, in stores or online, so eventually found David Nieper online, and I've been buying their nightwear ever since. I can get exactly what I want, in pure cotton, fine woven cotton for summer and cotton jersey for winter, all short sleeves (but they have long sleeved items as well) and there is usually a choice of lengths.

I haven't had much luck buying stuff from Ezibuy unfortunately.

There are a few others but I can't remember what brands they were offhand.

I've bought a couple of my Camilla kaftans online too, when I've seen one I like on sale. I love them for formal nights when cruising. Very glam but super comfy to wear, and they are so lightweight, they take up almost no space in a suitcase and don't crush. Perfect for travel.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Mostly I buy linen and cotton clothing from Marks & Spencer. Mostly pants, tshirts and polo shirts. Simple wardrobe basics that are hard to get reliably in Australia as it can be very hit and miss, one year the Australian stores have some items I like, next year there is nothing. I used to also get bras from M&S but they've stopped selling the style I like - one reason why I'm pissed off about this damn virus ruining my Europe trip, I'd planned a day to shop in M&S and try things on.

I buy knickers from Berlei - so much easier than traipsing around the department stores hoping a) they have the style I want and b) they have my size.

I've taken the risk and bought swimsuits online and they were OK.

I've bought a few things from Macy's. I mostly like the Michael Kors evening tops but I stocked up big time in Hawaii last year so I won't need any more for a while. Sometimes their descriptions aren't accurate though. I bought one pretty top that was supposed to be 100% cotton. It was actually polyester but I decided to keep it as it was so pretty.

I buy beautiful cotton nightwear from David Nieper in the UK. Expensive as hell but beautifully comfortable. I found it impossible to get what I wanted anywhere in Australia, in stores or online, so eventually found David Nieper online, and I've been buying their nightwear ever since. I can get exactly what I want, in pure cotton, fine woven cotton for summer and cotton jersey for winter, all short sleeves (but they have long sleeved items as well) and there is usually a choice of lengths.

I haven't had much luck buying stuff from Ezibuy unfortunately.

There are a few others but I can't remember what brands they were offhand.

I've bought a couple of my Camilla kaftans online too, when I've seen one I like on sale. I love them for formal nights when cruising. Very glam but super comfy to wear, and they are so lightweight, they take up almost no space in a suitcase and don't crush. Perfect for travel.

Thanks so much, I will have a look. How does sizing go? 

Leigh

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks so much, I will have a look. How does sizing go? 

Leigh

It varies. With M&S I originally bought some of their clothes in Singapore so had a good idea on their sizing. It's usually fairly accurate.

Ditto with Macy's, I bought some stuff in the US first.

If I'm not sure I check the sizing guides and just hope for the best.

• Like 1

I haven't seen it mentioned much in the media that cafes need to record the telephone numbers of seated patrons (for virus tracing purposes I assume).  Have seen it done in small and medium cafes locally but in the large beachside cafe we lunched at on Sunday, they weren't doing it nor did they have a limit on the length of time you dined.  They did have the correct spacing between tables though.

Two new cases of COVID 19 have been announced in NZ. They are related to two people arriving in NZ from the UK. This is going to make things more difficult for cruise ships coming to NZ until it can be proved that the passengers  are 100% clear of the virus and practically that ain't going to happen.  This announcement is a big setback to opening up the border and establishing inter country bubbles.

16 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

Two new cases of COVID 19 have been announced in NZ. They are related to two people arriving in NZ from the UK. This is going to make things more difficult for cruise ships coming to NZ until it can be proved that the passengers  are 100% clear of the virus and practically that ain't going to happen.  This announcement is a big setback to opening up the border and establishing inter country bubbles.

Yes, it's disappointing to have two new cases, hope they are properly isolated.

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I haven't seen it mentioned much in the media that cafes need to record the telephone numbers of seated patrons (for virus tracing purposes I assume).  Have seen it done in small and medium cafes locally but in the large beachside cafe we lunched at on Sunday, they weren't doing it nor did they have a limit on the length of time you dined.  They did have the correct spacing between tables though.

It is hard to keep up with the pace of loosing of restrictions.  However, the cafe we had lunch didn't ask for details this week, nor limit time, which they had done previously.  Seems the correct spacing is all that is required now.  

Thanks OzKiwiJJ for details of your overseas shopping.  I had a lovely time perusing David Nieper's website.  I too love natural fibres.  We shop at Smitten Merino in Hobart on line for beautiful merino wool garments.  

I miss shopping for clothes overseas and being able to buy off the rack.  

On the subject of buying clothes overseas I buy all my Jeans and Trousers from a certain large department store in England. For my height I tend to have short legs and I'm dead sick of getting SWMBO to cut 150 to 200mm off the available jeans, particularly at the high prices in Aus. I get my jeans for no more than 1/3 of the local price, trousers for 1/2 price, they are of high quality, and the bonus is I can order the leg length that I want. It's a pity that their T shirts, Polo shirts, and dress shirts are as dear as the local stuff or I'd buy them too.

Just saw others naming, so I get mine from Marks & Spencer, they also have an Aussie site with A$ prices.

Edited by Russell21
Add.

On our trips to UK, I always found that Marks and Sparks were a little pricey, certainly decent quality.  I would think their on line prices reflect on their store prices.

Personally I am more a Lowes or Harris Scarfe man.  Some bargains often to be found in those establishments.lowes.jpg.50cf804720ca5392de41065df0a9a206.jpg 

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Beanb41 said:

I think it was to be expected, that is how all the cases came (to Australia or NZ) in the first place.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

On the subject of buying clothes overseas I buy all my Jeans and Trousers from a certain large department store in England. For my height I tend to have short legs and I'm dead sick of getting SWMBO to cut 150 to 200mm off the available jeans, particularly at the high prices in Aus. I get my jeans for no more than 1/3 of the local price, trousers for 1/2 price, they are of high quality, and the bonus is I can order the leg length that I want. It's a pity that their T shirts, Polo shirts, and dress shirts are as dear as the local stuff or I'd buy them too.

Just saw others naming, so I get mine from Marks & Spencer, they also have an Aussie site with A$ prices.

They have regular sales though.

Their prices on womens clothing is usually a lot cheaper than similar quality clothing in Australia - if/when you can find anything here.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks OzKiwiJJ for details of your overseas shopping.  I had a lovely time perusing David Nieper's website.  I too love natural fibres.  We shop at Smitten Merino in Hobart on line for beautiful merino wool garments.  

I miss shopping for clothes overseas and being able to buy off the rack.  

I'll happily vouch for the quality of David Nieper's nightwear. It's beautifully finished as well.