How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of Victorians, as Greater Melbourne locks down for six weeks and Victoria's borders are closed to NSW and SA.  I hope the Government is able to get the outbreak under control and Victorians are rewarded with easing of restrictions after lockdown.  

Queensland borders are reopening on 10th July, with visitors and returning Queenslanders having to complete a declaration fortnightly that they haven't been in Victoria. 

New restrictions announced this morning that Victorians will no longer be able to self quarantine, at their own expense, for 14 days in Queensland.  

Lots of people are on school holidays.  Unfortunately, the weather is showery and not as nice as it has been recently.  

ACT has three new cases, Victorians had brought it with them, our borders now closed to Victorians also. We were to go to stage 3 at noon on Friday, now only some of the restrictions will be lifted while others are not.

Auntie Gladys was talking about pushing the border closures out further north from the NSW/Vic borders to create a buffer/safety zone.  Where do you think? Holbrook on the Hume? Eden on the Princes? Who knows. 

I think we are going backwards with these cases now popping up in ACT and NSW Far South Coast.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Auntie Gladys was talking about pushing the border closures out further north from the NSW/Vic borders to create a buffer/safety zone.  Where do you think? Holbrook on the Hume? Eden on the Princes? Who knows. 

I think we are going backwards with these cases now popping up in ACT and NSW Far South Coast.

Might be a good idea to do your trip whilst you still can.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:43 PM, NSWP said:

Off topic David, but I pass on my condolences re the NZ Police Officer murdered this morning. RIP.

Update..... The Officer was farewelled today and his colleagues performed a haka as the hearse left the stadium .The funeral was streamed live .

94248584-077F-45A5-89C0-1571B700AD4E.jpeg.b9d10fd4241f9776dfb52aaf60e00a3b.jpeg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Update..... The Officer was farewelled today and his colleagues performed a haka as the hearse left the stadium .The funeral was streamed live .

94248584-077F-45A5-89C0-1571B700AD4E.jpeg.b9d10fd4241f9776dfb52aaf60e00a3b.jpeg

It would have been a very moving moment. RIP

Edited by By The Bay
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

It would have been a very moving moment. RIP

Thanks for posting David, i have done too many police funerals.   Rest in peace, Constable,  you have done your duty.👮‍♂️

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Might be a good idea to do your trip whilst you still can.

Too many changes daily, i will hold off for now, thanks for your support.

• Like 1

Totally agree Docker123.  Hideous stuff!!!  I'd rather drink poison.  Actually, from personal sampling during trips to Sydney, that is obviously what they make their coffee in NSW from .... just sayin'. 🤢

These current guidelines in Victorian lockdown areas have me totally confused ... do any of them know what they are doing?  Can we?  Can't we?  Why can't they be clear and precise?

17 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Totally agree Docker123.  Hideous stuff!!!  I'd rather drink poison.  Actually, from personal sampling during trips to Sydney, that is obviously what they make their coffee in NSW from .... just sayin'. 🤢

These current guidelines in Victorian lockdown areas have me totally confused ... do any of them know what they are doing?  Can we?  Can't we?  Why can't they be clear and precise?

I think the guidelines are quite straight forward. They are virtually the same as earlier in the pandemic before some restrictions were lifted. I think the main differences now is that golf (for 2 people playing together) and fishing are now allowed.  What don’t you understand? 

Leigh

I have yet  to have a quality coffee in Australia and have been looking for about 50 years. International Roast is the coffee often found here in cheap 2 star motel rooms which explains the OPs post. With all that criticism Ido buy and use an Australian coffee here in NZ . It suits my taste and as it turns out is amongst the cheapest in our supermarkets. Its "Delta" coffee.

I think Aussies and Kiwis have become coffee snobs, me included. Went all over Europe and could not find a decent coffee until we found one in Naples. I suppose I like my coffee the way it is and it is hard to get it like that anywhere else in the world.

BTW International roast is misused as the name suggests it is for international guests only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beanb41 said:

I have yet  to have a quality coffee in Australia and have been looking for about 50 years. International Roast is the coffee often found here in cheap 2 star motel rooms which explains the OPs post. With all that criticism Ido buy and use an Australian coffee here in NZ . It suits my taste and as it turns out is amongst the cheapest in our supermarkets. Its "Delta" coffee.

International Roast is still supplied in 2 and 3 stars yes, although some have gone up market to Nescafe and by jove some even to Moccona.  Some older Aussies still buy that awful international roast, seen them in the supermarkets. I dont drink instant these days, i take robert timms columbia coffee bags away with me, decent brew. I use my plunger at home with Lavazza espresso, i am no coffee snob, but i like something decent. Dont like tea, last cup of tea must have been 40 yrs ago.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think Aussies and Kiwis have become coffee snobs, me included. Went all over Europe and could not find a decent coffee until we found one in Naples. I suppose I like my coffee the way it is and it is hard to get it like that anywhere else in the world.

I agree - we are certainly spoiled by the coffee available here & many of us have truly become coffee snobs 🙂 . One of the low points of cruising is the coffee.

In my trips to US, trying to get a 'proper' coffee was a challenge, as they all drink that brewed over and over stuff, or they think that Starbuck's sell coffee. I have spent a bit of time at our office in Costa Rica and they have great coffee - they send us coffee as gifts for our Aussie customers which prove popular.

In NZ I could get a proper coffee, but I was intrigued with the choice of dusting a cappuccino with cinnamon rather than chocolate. Some very nice coffee at the cafes we visited in rural NZ on our last visit. Oh and the homemade pies & sausage rolls.

My son & his partner spoiled me at Xmas with a pod machine, so now I am spoilt for choice for coffee. Working from home means I can have good coffee every day instead of the instant Nescafe supplied at the office 🙂

BOT, here in Western Sydney things are good. Went to pub with extended family for first time since March this week. Went to footy (NRL) for first time, and will be able to go to our teams (Panthers) home game next week - first since 14th Mar.

Should have been in QLD this week for my brothers 60th today, but a family skype later today will have to suffice.

Stay safe all.

• Like 1

We have a very serious espresso machine which is DH's pride and joy. I mostly drink tea but do appreciate a good latte or espresso once a day. I haven't had instant coffee in at least 20 years. I'm definitely a coffee snob! 🤣 I only drink espressos onboard ships as I can't stand the taste of heated UHT milk.

It does interest me the way different countries have different coffee cultures. One thing we really noticed in the US a couple of years ago was the lack of cafes where you could sit and have a coffee, it seemed to be almost all coffee to go. French espresso is longer than Italian, Germany and Austria prefer brewed coffee, and although there are plenty of espresso cafes in the UK most of the coffee is rubbish. 

On coffee and as most us know, Princess Cruises coffee in the Horizon Court Buffets is the pits, the coffee served in the MDR is often lukewarm, too strong and bitter for me, been stewed for hours, maybe even days and to tell you the truth the International Cafe cappucinos/flat whites are sometimes not that great. Hence we used to take out Robert Timms Coffee bags and Nescafe Instant Cappucino sachets.

When I was out Griffith way the other week for some solitude, I took my Robert Timms Coffee bags, the good motel I was at had actually had a coffee pod machine with Nescafe pods, not bad.  Some of the better motels and hotels in NSW and probably Australia have coffee pod machines or whatever they call them.

Edited by NSWP

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We have a very serious espresso machine which is DH's pride and joy. I mostly drink tea but do appreciate a good latte or espresso once a day. I haven't had instant coffee in at least 20 years. I'm definitely a coffee snob! 🤣 I only drink espressos onboard ships as I can't stand the taste of heated UHT milk.

It does interest me the way different countries have different coffee cultures. One thing we really noticed in the US a couple of years ago was the lack of cafes where you could sit and have a coffee, it seemed to be almost all coffee to go. French espresso is longer than Italian, Germany and Austria prefer brewed coffee, and although there are plenty of espresso cafes in the UK most of the coffee is rubbish. 

Yes in UK, Costa is everywhere, from my experience there, Costa Coffee was pretty ordinary, but the poms are addicted to the stuff.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Yes in UK, Costa is everywhere, from my experience there, Costa Coffee was pretty ordinary, but the poms are addicted to the stuff.

Yes, it's ordinary but better than nothing. It's also in parts of Europe. When we were in Barcelona the hotel coffee was dreadful (not espresso). The nearest cafe was a Costa one so our first stop when heading out after breakfast was the Costa cafe so DH could have a half way decent espresso. I think we did eventually find a bakery that had good coffee but it was a bit further away from the hotel and a bit out of the way sometimes. Their bocadillos ( filled baguettes) were divine though as were the little pastries we tried one day.

I bit old fashioned with my coffee. I have a bur hand grinder and grind my own beans for the French press I use. When it comes to coffee I am a bit fancy, I do enjoy a single origin. Because my French press and grinder are travel size I can take it with me so I never need to use the instant coffee in accommodations. However iced coffee is pretty good with instant😉