How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

21 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I loved it but it's out of my price range.The styles were wonderful.

Leigh

It's not so bad when the exchange rate is better but, yes, it is expensive. They do have sales occasionally.

• Like 1

I am from Florida and am following the restrictions in travel to Australia and NewZealand.  Some friends and I have a trip scheduled in January to Australia, cruising to New Zealand, and finishing our trip in. Fiji.  What are your hearing about travel without quarantine for January?  Thanks in advance!

13 minutes ago, djgcruise said:

I am from Florida and am following the restrictions in travel to Australia and NewZealand.  Some friends and I have a trip scheduled in January to Australia, cruising to New Zealand, and finishing our trip in. Fiji.  What are your hearing about travel without quarantine for January?  Thanks in advance!

Look at it this way, what are the chances the US will be free from coronavirus by January? I think that gives you your answer. There is no chance of that. It would not make any sense for Australia to let in tourists from other parts of the world so soon and compromise our precarious containment of the virus. I don't think it would be a possibility even with quarantine for recreational travel from the US to occur by January, 2021. Start thinking about January, 2022 (I'm not being funny).

My opinion.

• Like 1

I agree with the above. I can't see Australia or NZ opening their borders to unrestricted arrivals from countries that are still battling the virus and, so far there are no signs of the US having any control over the outbreaks at all.

If cruising does commence here in the next few months it will probably be restricted to Australians and NZers only.

We had an incident yesterday where two ex Pat's from UK returned to NZ, were let out of quarantine early travelled 700km to another city were tested and found to have COVID 19. They weren't tested on arrival in NZ and the country rightly is incensed that all the work achieved over the past three months may have been in vain. Prior to this result we were 24 days COVID free. As a consequence our borders and quarantine procedures have been ramped up. The likelihood of anyone coming from outside of Australasia for the foreseeable future will require a minimum of 14 days quarantine.  Cruise ships popping in for a day forget it. Whilst the benefits of cruise ships is great so are the risks. Ports in Europe are now looking at remaining closed until well into 2021. Ours I am convinced will stay closed until.after Europe, Asia and the Varibbean are open and I dont see any light at the end of that tunnel

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I have always had trouble buying clothes, online even more so, I will never understand how I can have shirts ranging from xl to 7xl that fit the same,

Now I but casual gear at Rivers, better stuff at Johnny Big, funny enough sizes from either are pretty much the same. Now and then I will still grab something from Lowe’s.

As the song goes mate.....'Go to Lowes for your clothes.'      You can't go to Gowings anymore, they have 'Gone to Gowings' so to speak. How is this for a pic, nostalgia rules.800px-Gowings_signage_on_George_St_in_August_2010.JPG.4b74810ed8108409b545a14ab8e7212b.JPG

Edited by NSWP

I miss Gowings. As well as good basic men's clothing (which I used to buy for Christmas presents for NZ family especially, and sometimes DH but he's fussier) it had all sorts of fascinating knick knacks.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I miss Gowings. As well as good basic men's clothing (which I used to buy for Christmas presents for NZ family especially, and sometimes DH but he's fussier) it had all sorts of fascinating knick knacks.

We are showing our age now re Gowings, who cares.   When I worked in the city, in the olden day, we used to go to Gowings for a short back and sides $5 from memory.  They employed a couple of vintage barbers in the store, no fancy hair cuts.

I often saw Brett Lee who was then a young NSW State Cricketer working there as a Sales Assistant, Brett moved on to International standard, great all rounder.  Binga Lee was his nickname. (Probably after Bing Lee an Asian electrical goods guru of the 70's and 80's and 90's.)

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, djgcruise said:

From what I have heard the USA is regarded to be a yellow zone (not the worst which is red zone but definitely not safe) in terms of COVID19 so if you are allowed in it probably will be with a 14 day quarantine caveat like other countries have done for travellers from yellow zoned regions. 

3 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

We had an incident yesterday where two ex Pat's from UK returned to NZ, were let out of quarantine early travelled 700km to another city were tested and found to have COVID 19. They weren't tested on arrival in NZ and the country rightly is incensed that all the work achieved over the past three months may have been in vain. Prior to this result we were 24 days COVID free. As a consequence our borders and quarantine procedures have been ramped up. The likelihood of anyone coming from outside of Australasia for the foreseeable future will require a minimum of 14 days quarantine.  Cruise ships popping in for a day forget it. Whilst the benefits of cruise ships is great so are the risks. Ports in Europe are now looking at remaining closed until well into 2021. Ours I am convinced will stay closed until.after Europe, Asia and the Varibbean are open and I dont see any light at the end of that tunnel

All arrivals into NZ have been quarantined in hotels , but unfortunately their supervision has been hit and miss . The supervision of their security has now been handed over to the Chief of Defence ,who will employ military personnel .

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

All arrivals into NZ have been quarantined in hotels , but unfortunately their supervision has been hit and miss . The supervision of their security has now been handed over to the Chief of Defence ,who will employ military personnel .

Has a state of emergency been declared in New Zealand? It has to be very serious for the Military to be called in to do civilian jobs.

The ABC is reporting: "Ms Ardern said Air Commodore Webb can seek access to military logistics, its operational expertise and, if needed, personnel, for running of the quarantine facilities."

Edited by By The Bay

A state of emergency has not been declared. What is happening is that professional military personnel who know how to follow orders have taken over from incompetent public servants who by their neglect have put our country at risk of a 2nd wave of Covid 19. What is even more tragic that Saint Ashley the Patron Saint of Covid 19 is still in his job as is the equally incompetent Minister of Health. When the brown stuff hit the fan yesterday  where was Cinderella to answer questions from the media hiding on Facebook.  Dont think after the happenings of yesterday you are going to see our borders open anytime soon. We are now at least 14 days away from seeing if these two inconsiderate women have infected anyone else after their kids and cuddle with friends having got lost driving from Auckland to Wellington.

• Like 1

That was a strange tale from NZ.

It seemed totally unbelievable that they drove without stops.

In south australia a returning resident from Pakistan had been in quarantine in Melbourne.

Tested at Adelaide airport from Melbourne, found to be positive for covid.

Public were told he is not infectious however and no risk. They had done a risk analysis.

All a bit hit and miss.

Meanwhile the tourism/trade minister declared no overseas travel until 2021, but 300 international students are soon to arrive in Canberra. Many other people are still returning including travelers on flights from Singapore.

Unsure what our travel plans will be.

So much is self catering type places with variable quality of accommodation.

If we have to cook we may as well do it at home in comfort.

Can others make some suggestions that do not involve self catering?    

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

As the song goes mate.....'Go to Lowes for your clothes.'      You can't go to Gowings anymore, they have 'Gone to Gowings' so to speak. How is this for a pic, nostalgia rules.800px-Gowings_signage_on_George_St_in_August_2010.JPG.4b74810ed8108409b545a14ab8e7212b.JPG

Two great stores

8 hours ago, pully8 said:

In south australia a returning resident from Pakistan had been in quarantine in Melbourne.

Public were told he is not infectious however and no risk. They had done a risk analysis.

All a bit hit and miss.

Meanwhile the tourism/trade minister declared no overseas travel until 2021, but 300 international students are soon to arrive in Canberra. Many other people are still returning including travelers on flights from Singapore.

Short trips eating out or getting take away.  That is our short term plan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pully8 said:

All a bit hit and miss.

Hotels with their own restaurants or with some nearby may be the go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Short trips eating out or getting take away.  That is our short term plan.

If travelling regionally, we find local restaurants may deliver meals to your room. 

Leigh

• Like 1

On my daily walks around my little town, I have been observing some of the goings on.

A couple of businesses have closed down, as have a couple of cafes.

Most other cafes have re-opened, but with all the distancing measures. Some have reduced hours, some still only doing takeaway.

Some pubs have re-opened with table service meals, others have been using the closures for renos and will gradually re-open.

Bottle shops have a variety of things. A couple on reduced days and hours with limited customers. Chain shops more normal hours. Regular shops are also on reduced hours.

Quite a few business offices are still working at home, and/or very reduced access hours. The branch of one of the big banks has closed “temporarily” during this time (let’s call it the bubble bank).

The Captain has been open all along with strict access provisions. His Associates re-opened this week by appointment only.

The local MP’s electoral office is still working from home.

Edited by Docker123

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Hotels with their own restaurants or with some nearby may be the go.

We only eat at restaurants with outside tables.  But we are blessed with beautiful warm sunny winter weather, suitable for outside dining.  We are able to take our dogs outside.

Having local cafes deliver to your room, whilst travelling, is a good idea.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We only eat at restaurants with outside tables.  But we are blessed with beautiful warm sunny winter weather, suitable for outside dining.  We are able to take our dogs outside.

Having local cafes deliver to your room, whilst travelling, is a good idea.  

Yep, plenty of options for travelers, especially if they don't have their dogs with them.

Some good ideas.

Before all this pandemic we have had some lovely regional short breaks and driving holidays.

The country bakeries are always reliable with fresh food.

Some country hotels had been renovated with interesting restaurants but sometimes not open every night.

Goodness knows what things are like now.

We have enjoyed Tasmania too and stayed in all sorts of places.

Some were old with character in beautiful settings.

A couple had been self renovated with odd fittings and sloping floors but the owners were often fascinating to chat to.

But that was several years ago.

Other favorites were country shows and farmers markets with good produce and again interesting people watching. 

Suppose there are some choices albeit with current limitations. 

20 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

A state of emergency has not been declared. What is happening is that professional military personnel who know how to follow orders have taken over from incompetent public servants who by their neglect have put our country at risk of a 2nd wave of Covid 19. What is even more tragic that Saint Ashley the Patron Saint of Covid 19 is still in his job as is the equally incompetent Minister of Health. When the brown stuff hit the fan yesterday  where was Cinderella to answer questions from the media hiding on Facebook.  Dont think after the happenings of yesterday you are going to see our borders open anytime soon. We are now at least 14 days away from seeing if these two inconsiderate women have infected anyone else after their kids and cuddle with friends having got lost driving from Auckland to Wellington.

Poor NZ did everything right with the early lockdown to get no virus cases.  Then selfish people broke the rules.  Now I see a family from Melbourne have broken the rules also.