How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

Uncle Les, we seem to have a new friend from the country to the south of mine. There seems to be some very sad stories of people thinking this is a hoax or political conspiracy coming from that part of the world. Sad but unfortunately true.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Yes the approx. 30M+ who die each year from heart attacks, strokes & cancer will surely distort the incredible impact that COVID-19 has had in less than 6 months.

So for 'HaveWe MetYet' I don't see an agenda, just a choice of what to show comparisons to - what are you suggesting?

At the rate of deaths so far this year, it is not inconceivable that 1 Million deaths with COVID-19 will be reached. This total of lost lives is not acceptable. A coordinated approach by all nations could have reduced this sad total.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

At the rate of deaths so far this year, it is not inconceivable that 1 Million deaths with COVID-19 will be reached. This total of lost lives is not acceptable. A coordinated approach by all nations could have reduced this sad total.

Like deactivating the cruise ships a year ago. that would have been a saviour.   We should never forget those who perished as a result of the virus on Diamond Princess and Ruby Princess.   RIP.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Uncle Les, we seem to have a new friend from the country to the south of mine. There seems to be some very sad stories of people thinking this is a hoax or political conspiracy coming from that part of the world. Sad but unfortunately true.

We unfortunately have our share down here too, as can be seen by the cavalier attitude of many people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mr walker said:

Yes the approx. 30M+ who die each year from heart attacks, strokes & cancer will surely distort the incredible impact that COVID-19 has had in less than 6 months.

So for 'HaveWe MetYet' I don't see an agenda, just a choice of what to show comparisons to - what are you suggesting?

What I am suggesting is the author attempted to show covid rising to the leading cause of death worldwide based on the design of the graph. And that is the way it has been represented on some news outlets that have used it as well as the casual observer unaware of annual deaths from other causes.

Also, look at the numbers for some of those other causes. Suicide is at 435,000 but is actually 1 million+.

Alcohol is at 99,000 but the WHO estimates 3 million.

Drug use, which i assume means narcotics for recreational use is 97,000 but is actually 750,000+ which includes direct overdose as well as the primary cause that leads to death from disease.

To be fair to the author he has added the footnote that all the causes of death in the graph account for 7% of the total annually and he admits that the other causes of death were designed to show covid rising to the top. But he does have a lot of numbers wrong.

Global deaths from all causes will be about 60 million in 2020 and will rise at 1 million a year for the next 40 years.

6 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

he admits that the other causes of death were designed to show covid rising to the top. 

This is the author's statement of intention:

The aim was not to show that COVID had become THE leading cause of death globally (because it hasn’t) but instead that it has reached a magnitude of global death on par with other well known diseases like malaria, and it has done so in an extraordinarily short period of time.

Global Causes of Death vs COVID Footnote

I have not read anything where the author stated that the aim was to show Covid-19 rising to the top

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The aim was not to show that COVID had become THE leading cause of death globally (because it hasn’t) but instead that it has reached a magnitude of global death on par with other well known diseases like malaria, and it has done so in an extraordinarily short period of time.

I have not read anything where the author stated that the aim was to show Covid-19 rising to the top

I agree. The key impact of that graph is not the actual figures but the rate of change over a relatively short period.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

"Near the end of May I created a bar chart race using Flourish Studio. I used data from the Global Burden of Disease Study to find major causes of global death that were similar or lower in magnitude to COVID".

"First off, although the intent was not to make it out to be the top cause of global death, the footnotes showing the causes of death shown only account for 7% of total deaths, some certainly took that to be the intent and found it misleading".

While he claims it was not his intent to show covid rising to the top he also states that he used global causes of death that were similar or lower pretty much guaranteeing that outcome. I don't think there is any ill intent he just got a little sloppy with data.

Anyway, I am not on the its a hoax bandwagon or anything like that. 

He does have some other charts coming out that compare covid to other pandemics from the past. Should be interesting to see

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Russell21 said:

We unfortunately have our share down here too, as can be seen by the cavalier attitude of many people.

It is a jungle out there, stay safe.  Wear a mask and have a can of Glen 20 in each pocket.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

In line with the saying ' a picture tells a thousand words' and consistent with the fact that many people don't read the fine print/look at the detail, that nevertheless is the impression many will get from it.

So if that was truly his aim then he did a poor job of it, as it doesn't even call out in the heading anything about only comparing "well known diseases" as the heading is a generic catch all implying all main coverage: "Global Deaths Due to Various Causes and COVID-19".

You have to read all the way to the bottom to the fine print to find out is only 7%.

As a representation, it is very poorly done.

Some of the locals down here are paranoid and have gone into lockdown, because there are a few Victorian vehicles on the roads locally and there were a couple of Victorians tested positive at Merimbula, south of here. The Vics must have driven up pre border closure.

I had better duck out to Woollies and restock with TP.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

I've seen a few US license plates around on the island but not many. I wonder why they are here but I'm not concerned too much. They could be refugees who came here before the border was closed and now don't want to go back even if the border was open. It was announced that we will keep our border with the US closed until late August. I suspect that will be extended.

I really don't get the TP thing, we haven't had a problem with that ourselves but we did have the Costco hoarders. I haven't been to Costco since early March, there is nothing in there that I am willing to wait in line for 1 1/2 hours for.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

The Northern Territory has now banned people from Greater Sydney and Greater Melbourne from entering the Northern Territory. I could get in though being from a Regional Area.  Long drive to Darwin though, I will pass, been to Alice Springs, Katherine, Darwin before.  Ayers Rock does not interest me.

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I've seen a few US license plates around on the island but not many. I wonder why they are here but I'm not concerned too much. They could be refugees who came here before the border was closed and now don't want to go back even if the border was open. It was announced that we will keep our border with the US closed until late August. I suspect that will be extended.

I really don't get the TP thing, we haven't had a problem with that ourselves but we did have the Costco hoarders. I haven't been to Costco since early March, there is nothing in there that I am willing to wait in line for 1 1/2 hours for.

Nearest Costco to me is Canberra in Mic's territory.  I have never been in any Costco nor Ikea, and they have both in Canberra, 2 hour drive west from here.  Have I missed something guys? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Nearest Costco to me is Canberra in Mic's territory.  I have never been in any Costco nor Ikea, and they have both in Canberra, 2 hour drive west from here.  Have I missed something guys? 

I wouldn't drive 2 hours for Costco but I do go there during normal times when there aren't 150 people in line. I do buy my gas there, at least 3 cents a litre less and often between 5 and 10 cents less.

For me there is no Ikea on the island, even when we are close by we don't bother. I'm a professional cabinet maker and trying to assemble their products is painful to me. I would rather run the stuff through our shop. I get it at cost plus a box of beer.

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

I am only 20 minutes from those 2 stores, and I wouldn't bother to go there.

Ikea has a range of furniture and household goods, at fairly good value prices - though you have to assemble yourself.

Costco is just minor savings by buying quantities in bulk - and you have to pay an annual fee for the privilege. If they were right beside you the convenience that you can go regularly may pay off the annual fee. But if you're a long distance away, forget about it.

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Costco is just minor savings by buying quantities in bulk - and you have to pay an annual fee for the privilege. If they were right beside you the convenience that you can go regularly may pay off the annual fee. But if you're a long distance away, forget about it.

That's right. But I think the Costco in the U.S. is very different to the ones here. Not that I have been to either. But when I saw them do a tour of Costco on  Oprah years ago  it looked amazing. (I mean it would have to be if they actually featured it on Oprah,and it wasn't just some bulk items store). They were selling everything from diamond rings to lobsters and they had lots of  samples of gourmet food like lobster etc being offered around. It looked like you could get really well fed if you visited.  Actually it was bit like being on a cruise lol.

Edited by christodan

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Ikea has a range of furniture and household goods, at fairly good value prices - though you have to assemble yourself.

For us any savings at Costco would be eroded due to wastage of food, having to buy food in bulk only works for some food items that can be frozen. Of course Costco sell more than food but how often do you need to buy these type items.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christodan said:

That's right. But I think the Costco in the U.S. is very different to the ones here. Not that I have been to either. But when I saw them do a tour of Costco on  Oprah years ago  it looked amazing. (I mean it would have to be if they actually featured it on Oprah,and it wasn't just some bulk items store). They were selling everything from diamond rings to lobsters and they had lots of  samples of gourmet food like lobster etc being offered around. It looked like you could get really well fed if you visited.  Actually it was bit like being on a cruise lol.

The Costco stores in Auatralia sell jewellery including diamond rings and watches. Also a fair range of seafood including lobster/cray fish and there are always sample of various foods to to try. My daughter and son both have Costco memberships so I have been with them. I would never have a membership as it is not worth it for a couple but for a family, it certainly could be, particularly if you purchase fuel there.

Leigh

31 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The Costco stores in Auatralia sell jewellery including diamond rings and watches. Also a fair range of seafood including lobster/cray fish and there are always sample of various foods to to try.

Oh OK. Oprah made it sound very exciting. Lol ! Didn't hear that much hype when Costco opened here.