Dr. Fauci says travel bans should remain even after the coronavirus recedes in the USA

ontheweb

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 11:18 AM, clo said:

And I want the medical to pretty much be the only road to travel. Compared to 240,000 deaths in the US alone, it seems a pretty easy answer. BTW this isn't his or anyone else's "perception." It's the math.

United States Coronavirus: 276,318 Cases and 7,391 Deaths ...as of right now.

Edited by retiredgram
  • Like 1

I place some of the blame on our elected officials.  For months they have been down playing this, and in some cases actually contradicting Dr. Fauci's (and other public health experts) comments and advice.

It was as though they could wish it away or convince the public that it would not happen in NA.    That is one thing, but it is quite another to be so  far behind the eight ball in preparation.  At least  preparation could have been going on in the background.  In many areas this is simply not the case and we will all suffer because of it.

• Like 2

Hearing the governor of Georgia recently announce that he had just heard about COVID contagion being a risk before symptoms appeared  — weeks after I heard/read it being discussed in depth on TV, the radio, and in the press - makes it easier to understand why our nation is so ill-prepared to handle this situation.

People in charge ......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I place some of the blame on our elected officials.  For months they have been down playing this, and in some cases actually contradicting Dr. Fauci's (and other public health experts) comments and advice.

It was as though they could wish it away or convince the public that it would not happen in NA.    That is one thing, but it is quite another to be so  far behind the eight ball in preparation.  At least  preparation could have been going on in the background.  In many areas this is simply not the case and we will all suffer because of it.

It is still early days but so far it does look like that the countries that had the foresight to prepare are managing their infection and deaths rates much better. China went into lock down 23 January so a lot could have been done between then and now to slow the infection rate to something hospitals could manage, increase ICU beds or at least stockpile PPE so medical staff would have less infections.

The medical staff are really the soldiers on the front line of this war and I am so sad to hear of those who have died. In Australia at least the community is rallying behind them. Groups are offering care packages, free coffee and even one telecommunications company offered medical workers free phone plans so they don't have to worry about phone bills to keep in contact with love ones. It might be to late to do anything else but we can at least support all the medical community who are working to breaking point in this trying time💖

• Thanks 1

I was supposed to be just coming back from a river cruise. The way I feel is I don't mind it being canceled for a good cause, but I do miss having the vacation. I try to space my travels out so I get a bit of down time here and there throughout the year. Yes I can do a staycation and probably will eventually. I do hope we're able to travel and cruise again by April or May of next year, though. I think I will have completely had enough of my own four walls by then. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have neighbors who are in their late 70’s with significant health problems who still go to the supermarket every day. I am sure that they hear or watch our Governor telling people not to do that but they continue to go.

Even if they have no option but to go to the store themselves, they should reduce their risk of exposure and not go every day...

• Like 1

I have older friends who go to the store frequently and after I try to talk sense into them, the issue boils down to their boredom and restlessness. The one best argument is to discuss the reality of a coronavirus hospitalization. Your family can't visit and busy nurses will likely not be able to take your family's frantic calls for an update. If the patient is on a ventilator, they can't use the phone for communication. This situation for you and your family would be a nightmare! If you die, you die alone.

That reality should keep some at home but some old folks are as selfish and self centered as some younger people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

That reality should keep some at home but some old folks are as selfish and self centered as some younger people. 

We're in our 70s with no particular medical issues and go to the grocery a couple of times a week. We wash our hands before we go to the car and then wipe down various parts of the car. When we arrive at the store we use a wipe on carts, doors, etc. When we get home, everything we purchased gets wiped down before putting away and then we wash our hands. Yesterday we added masks to our protocol. We've been social distancing now for three weeks. We're adhering to our state regulations as wisely issued by our governor.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:08 PM, iancal said:

Saw Dr Fauci on video from Mid January in which he said the virus would not be coming here. Apparently some of our politicians were listening to him but are blamed for not taking action. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Saw Dr Fauci on video from Mid January in which he said the virus would not be coming here. Apparently some of our politicians were listening to him but are blamed for not taking action. 

And for those who criticize our lack of preparedness, the US was ranked as the best prepared country by Johns Hopkins as recently as last October.

https://www.ghsindex.org/

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also, and I speak from experience, you do not always get everything you order, especially now. I placed an Instacart order yesterday for 26 items. Of those, six items were canceled altogether, including some staples like rice. Of the remaining 20 items, one did not show up (even though it was on my receipt) and I had to accept substitutions for an additional 4 items -- and smaller sizes than ordered of two items.

I'm on a food site and one of the guys has mentioned ordering groceries and, like you, not getting what he ordered or substitutes that were not acceptable - hey, it's a food site; we're picky. I honestly don't care about the cost but, being really into food - I want to pick exactly what I want and if they don't have something to decide what/if I want a substitute. OT, I've laughed at how empty certain 'departments' are, i.e., paper products and canned foods. I figure that hoarders are not only, well, maybe not very bright but also that they're lousy cooks 🙂

I also didn't mention that the stores we go to, are only allowing people in as others leave. And if someone gets closer to me then *I* step away. Some are now putting down tape at the checkstands.

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

We tend to eat fresh food, not a lot of pantry items.

Ditto. Really into spinach, kale and arugula which take up a lot of room 🙂

21 hours ago, clo said:

We're in our 70s with no particular medical issues and go to the grocery a couple of times a week. We wash our hands before we go to the car and then wipe down various parts of the car. When we arrive at the store we use a wipe on carts, doors, etc. When we get home, everything we purchased gets wiped down before putting away and then we wash our hands. Yesterday we added masks to our protocol. We've been social distancing now for three weeks. We're adhering to our state regulations as wisely issued by our governor.

I commend you taking the precautions you are, but am curious why you need to go so frequently.  I'm feeding a family of 4, we eat large salads every day (along with other produce) and I still am averaging about every 6 days.

I took a long walk yesterday and was please to see how well everyone was doing with keeping distance from each other.  The two groups of Amish I saw riding bikes were probably the most congested groups of people.

On 4/3/2020 at 10:53 PM, ilikeanswers said:

In Australia at least the community is rallying behind them. Groups are offering care packages, free coffee and even one telecommunications company offered medical workers free phone plans so they don't have to worry about phone bills to keep in contact with love ones.

I'm in NY but 3 hours from NYC.  Restaurants in my area are making meals for hospital workers.  One sent 50 servings of chicken Parmesan to a hospital, and several other donations have been done.  A hotel across from the hospital has been opened up to house medical workers.

As for  covering phone plans - the rates I've seen offered to nurses to go to NYC to help out would indicate to me the only worry is remembering to pay the bill, being able to afford it isn't an issue.  I also seem to recall the offers were for 10-14 day rotations.  I don't make a TON of money, but it takes me 3 months to make what was being offered for 2 weeks of work.  Don't get me wrong - THEY DESERVE IT 100%!

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, dkjretired said:

Dr. Fauci realized how serious this was soon after that.  Some of those same politicians you mention still don’t get lt.   Maybe they should listen to him more and stop interrupting and contradicting him.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 4:07 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Even if they have no option but to go to the store themselves, they should reduce their risk of exposure and not go every day...

The Governor of NY stated today that any person out of their homes would be subject to a fine.

It wasn't until the middle of February, I believe (Gad, losing all track of time!) that the US fully realized how flawed our test kits were. The US had performed numerous multi-disciplinary simulations designed to track and control any pandemic, and to martial resources in response to hot-spots, and had the reputation for being the best prepared of any country.

But those simulations, every one, assumed reliable testing. An excellent article in the NYT in the last week of March illustrates how the testing failure put the US about a month behind in detecting and controlling the spread at the early, most critical, stage. 

Dr. Fauci's comments quoted here, and Trump's early confidence, were no doubt based on the CDC's belief that the systems in place would work as designed. It might not have prevented everything we see now, but it might have flattened the curve at a crucial juncture.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tip said:

Dr. Fauci realized how serious this was soon after that.  Some of those same politicians you mention still don’t get lt.   Maybe they should listen to him more and stop interrupting and contradicting him.

Just to set the record straight I did not mention any politicians.

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Just to set the record straight I did not mention any politicians.

Nor did I (at least by name), but as my late father used to say, “If the shoe fits, wear it!”😉

Edited by tip
  • Like 1

I saw more than one press conference where a politician made an obvious false claim or statement. 

Minutes later Dr. Fauci contradicted that same politician on the same platform during the same press conference.   Strange to say the least.   I should have been dumbfounded but I was not.  It has become the norm.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3