Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

41 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I don’t either, but our DD mixes mayo and ketchup for her fries. 

Interesting and have seen that before.  Got this off the web..they even named it "Fry sauce".  😉 

Fry sauce is a condiment often served with French fries or tostones (twice-fried plantain slices) in many places in the world. It is usually a combination of one part tomato ketchup and two parts mayonnaise.

For our last day in California, before flying home, did a morning hike.  

Walked along, what my grandson calls the blackberry trail, and found some ripe ones. 

1F3CB067-EA10-426A-BAFA-61B5601C5F50.thumb.jpeg.087643f758c1e76d35fefc2abed3cde9.jpeg

Then we headed up one of the fire roads, to get some views from the top.  A very clear day here, so we could see to San Francisco Bay from the top of the hill. 

CAD0F4C0-8861-468F-BA4E-0DF2412D0250.thumb.jpeg.959633f8b5c2e10f80759c528836e96c.jpeg

C6A54BC9-BF41-4E7A-96B1-6B1DA3CBA75B.thumb.jpeg.81a3654d14d832013dedfb7266d719de.jpeg

One thing we have yet to see on this trip, is the heard of goats they use to clear the vegetation on these hillsides.  

463E25C9-927D-4A15-BF19-D72F3FC88E93.thumb.jpeg.af7abaec052b3ab80f9aeff6ce5bb766.jpeg

Then it was back down to walk along a cool stream at the bottom.  Not much water flowing this time of year. 

8E001B86-B37C-4D5B-B529-DCF3B554ADD8.thumb.jpeg.dbb31bbebae93c703c2691439c22e01c.jpeg

Our afternoon plan is to head to Napa. 

• Like 10

On 7/1/2021 at 4:35 PM, jagsfan said:

Pulled into a gas station and looked for the lever  to open the gas tank door.  
Couldn't find anything. Looked in the glove box for a manual. No manual.  
Tried to pry the gas tank door open. 
Nope!

A man (who was not tattooed) asked me if there was a problem. I explained, and he also searched for a clue…nothing. 
Then a clerk came out of the building to see what the problem was. He couldn’t help either. 
I decided to leave the car there, taxi back to the hotel, call Hertz in the morning (I didn’t think of calling right then), get the solution and taxi back to Lee Circle. 
About then a car pulled in. A man got out, and saw 3 men and a woman gathered around a car with another woman huddled petrified inside the car (she kept locking the doors after each search of the interior).

He asked if there was a problem and I explained.
He asked me to pop the trunk. I did, and he showed us all the lever in the trunk that unlocked the gas tank. 
He only knew because his mother had bought a new Ford and he pumped the first fill up. 
Who in the name of all that’s holy comes up with these *****-a-mamie ideas?

On 7/1/2021 at 6:39 PM, John&LaLa said:

That's an emergency latch. There must be another one somewhere

On 7/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, jagsfan said:

It was around ‘96, a Hertz four door Ford sedan, and that’s all I know. I’m of the female group that expects a car to take you where you want to go without fuss and bother. 
It was not  a compact; I don’t do compacts, and not a luxury. Mid or full size. 
I strongly recommended if they wouldn’t leave a manual in the glove box, that they have a card with info like wipers, headlights, and any other basics like filling the gas tank. I don’t think the guy I returned it to gave a flip. 

On 7/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, John&LaLa said:

Sounds like a Taurus

I've owned a variety of Fords during the 1980's & 1990's including a 1994 Ford Taurus & a 1996 Taurus, which were 2 very different body styles. I can't remember which model but one of them did not have a button to open the fuel filler door. All you had to do was push the fuel filler door in & it would pop-open.  As 99.998% of all cars made at time had a button to open the fuel filler door, this created a lot of confusion to people not familiar with the car.  Also, as the car aged, the little mechanism to pop the door open would stiffen so you had to give it a good push, like you were made at the car.

The most inconvenient place for the fuel & trunk openers was in my 1987 Ford Thunderbird. It was in glove compartment.  Passengers in the car would always enjoy me reaching over and *ahem* between their legs to open the glove box and have the door bang on their shins. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Odd, I was under the impression it was a Canadian thing

Hell no, gravy and cheese curds here.

Cataract Sharon said mayo and fries supposedly originated from Belgium.  Netherlands likes it too she says. 

21 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Dipping hot, salty french fries into cool, soft vanilla ice cream creates a yummy combination of flavor & temperature.

Some supposedly dip them in their Wendy’s Frosty too. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Interesting and have seen that before.  Got this off the web..they even named it "Fry sauce".  😉 

Fry sauce is a condiment often served with French fries or tostones (twice-fried plantain slices) in many places in the world. It is usually a combination of one part tomato ketchup and two parts mayonnaise.

It's also good if you substitute BBQ sauce for the ketchup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

My kids mix ranch dressing with ketchup to make a fry dip, they call it ranchup. 

• Like 4

Sharon just said that she makes an elevated ketchup. She called it Bloody Mary Ketchup. 

It’s ketchup, worcestershire sauce, horseradish, celery salt and a pinch of hot sauce. She said flavour as desired. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Grapau27 & sgmn

When eating the fish and chips, do you drizzle malt vinegar over them?  My Grandfather grew up in England.  He was the one who got me to love fish and chips.  I am wondering if the malt vinegar was the way they ate it in England or something he just preferred.  He lived to be 100 years old.  So was it the fish or the malt vinegar that made him so healthy?

I like vinegar but if there isn't any, tomato ketchup is a good substitute.  As I seem to be continually trying to lose weight it's not often I have chips , (pinching hubby's doesn't count,  right 😂)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone tried to make their own fish and chips?  Is it hard?  There is nowhere to get good fish and chips were we live.

At home I'll just pan fry cod with seasoning,  and have potato wedges cooked in oven with a oil spray,  not quite the same but still tasty 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone tried to make their own fish and chips?  Is it hard?  There is nowhere to get good fish and chips were we live.

I have.

Ingredients

Cod (usually about 3 pound for 2 people, because it gives off a lot of water when frying)

Canola oil

Flour

Two eggs

2 cans of Bud light.

Rinse  the fish in water pat dry

then take two egg and whipp it 

Place fish in and get both sides slimy with the egg.

Completely coat fish with flour.

Chill for about 15 min.

Then get 2 cans of beer.

I use Bud light.

Pour one can in a bowl that the fish will be submerged in.

Let soak about 5 min.

Then once again place flour over the beer fish.

Repeat.

Soak fish in beer

Then put flour over it.

Quick fry in oil of your choice (I use canola oil)

Usually about 9 min.

While fish frying drink the second beer.

Enjoy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Hell no, gravy and cheese curds here.

Cataract Sharon said mayo and fries supposedly originated from Belgium.  Netherlands likes it too she says. 

On the dutch island of Aruba, many restaurants will serve fries with both ketchup and mayo on the side.

There is a craft beer pub in the island owned and operated by a couple of Canadian ex-pats that has excellent poutine. Not that I'm an expert having had poutine an handful of times in my life and all were excellent. So take me recommendation with a grain of salt....and gravy. 😃

• Haha 1

Watching euro 2021 match, England vs Ukraine at mo. We're not massive footy fans, Gary was brought up with hockey in Canada.  But our kids and my brothers are big fans especially when England is playing.  My new grandson already has his first England strip at 10 weeks old 😀

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

t’s ketchup, worcestershire sauce, horseradish, celery salt and a pinch of hot sauce. She said flavour as desired. 

I think I would like that. I will have to make a batch, thanks.

20 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Watching euro 2021 match, England vs Ukraine at mo. We're not massive footy fans, Gary was brought up with hockey in Canada.  But our kids and my brothers are big fans especially when England is playing.  My new grandson already has his first England strip at 10 weeks old 😀

Currently England 3 Ukraine 0.👍😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Sharon just said that she makes an elevated ketchup. She called it Bloody Mary Ketchup. 

It’s ketchup, worcestershire sauce, horseradish, celery salt and a pinch of hot sauce. She said flavour as desired. 

I sometimes mix ketchup with Tabasco for a little kick.

• Like 1