Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We’ll that was an experience that I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Started OK with the driver skillfully backing the truck down the street without damaging any trees, mailboxes, or lawns. Would not have been a good way to meet the neighbors. The first 2 table and chair that they brought in were damaged…gouged wood and torn leather. Disappointing but they weren’t anything special and can be replaced. They then brought in a series of boxes that were crushed. We had to quickly open all boxes to see what f anything inside was damaged. We have 90 days to report damage but I wanted to get as much damage as possible noted on the driver’s paperwork

We brought most of our important/valuable stuff with us in the car. Micheline however had 3 “heirloom” pieces of furniture handed down for her grandfather that were on the truck. There were a matching Birdseye maple dresser and nightstand that we had just had professionally refinished, and a solid walnut drop leaf table that Micheline herself refinished (it was perfect). They brought the Birdseye maple nightstand in and the top had been gouged. Tears started flowing at that point. Fortunately, the matching dresser was OK. After more crushed, scratched, bent, and chipped stuff kept coming, we were numb. That was good because the walnut table came last and the pedestal leg was completely broken off. I don’t think it can be salvaged. Will be interesting to see how much money they give us for that. 

When the movers left, we locked the door and decided to get some fish tacos and cold drinks while staring at the ocean. We’ll deal with the mess in the house later. 
740FF920-3CED-42B7-84E8-3F218368F270.thumb.jpeg.0fa6f11f9ad23791ee10870cb88f1515.jpeg

Examples of some of the damage:

A74889C3-B2ED-410E-9B64-4A6FB108DAC3.thumb.jpeg.791da7e12b63e23f8a47c25c391cb669.jpegE7B9FE92-52E7-4CC5-97FF-7D472A15DBEA.thumb.jpeg.8dae20ffb3d7eaa61e45230c485ca6b5.jpegFE8A0B4F-DF90-4516-92B3-EF9C68E7BBA0.thumb.jpeg.99ce2ea3cf69430d3e9c84707277ab9c.jpeg94579312-B03D-4D56-ACCC-97013424573F.thumb.jpeg.f72d851ba8c77dac9dcfcce18da78316.jpeg

Moving is stressful without damage. I would be in tears too. So sorry.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

This is one of the things that I'd like to do eventually.  Would need to do so in a lot of shorter hops, and with the use of autopilot.  If he's doing this flying manually, he has my full respect, and is probably a little bit crazy.

He's done short hops too. In YUL at mo having gone eastbound from Heathrow.  Planning on doing the Atlantic via Halifax,  St Johns, Greenland and Iceland. 

And no he uses autopilot sometimes.  Got to get the household jobs done whilst he's flying the world 🤣🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We’ll that was an experience that I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Started OK with the driver skillfully backing the truck down the street without damaging any trees, mailboxes, or lawns. Would not have been a good way to meet the neighbors. The first 2 table and chair that they brought in were damaged…gouged wood and torn leather. Disappointing but they weren’t anything special and can be replaced. They then brought in a series of boxes that were crushed. We had to quickly open all boxes to see what f anything inside was damaged. We have 90 days to report damage but I wanted to get as much damage as possible noted on the driver’s paperwork

We brought most of our important/valuable stuff with us in the car. Micheline however had 3 “heirloom” pieces of furniture handed down for her grandfather that were on the truck. There were a matching Birdseye maple dresser and nightstand that we had just had professionally refinished, and a solid walnut drop leaf table that Micheline herself refinished (it was perfect). They brought the Birdseye maple nightstand in and the top had been gouged. Tears started flowing at that point. Fortunately, the matching dresser was OK. After more crushed, scratched, bent, and chipped stuff kept coming, we were numb. That was good because the walnut table came last and the pedestal leg was completely broken off. I don’t think it can be salvaged. Will be interesting to see how much money they give us for that. 

When the movers left, we locked the door and decided to get some fish tacos and cold drinks while staring at the ocean. We’ll deal with the mess in the house later. 
740FF920-3CED-42B7-84E8-3F218368F270.thumb.jpeg.0fa6f11f9ad23791ee10870cb88f1515.jpeg

A74889C3-B2ED-410E-9B64-4A6FB108DAC3.thumb.jpeg.791da7e12b63e23f8a47c25c391cb669.jpegE7B9FE92-52E7-4CC5-97FF-7D472A15DBEA.thumb.jpeg.8dae20ffb3d7eaa61e45230c485ca6b5.jpegFE8A0B4F-DF90-4516-92B3-EF9C68E7BBA0.thumb.jpeg.99ce2ea3cf69430d3e9c84707277ab9c.jpeg94579312-B03D-4D56-ACCC-97013424573F.thumb.jpeg.f72d851ba8c77dac9dcfcce18da78316.jpeg

I'm so sorry for you both,  what a nightmare.  Especially for the precious family pieces 

You both must be shattered 

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I simply adore leftovers 😁.

So do I! Especially from grand events like wedding receptions or from restaurants. 
I order dinner size at lunch in restaurants and have another lovely meal at home. 

• Like 2

I presume there are different levels of care from moving companies?

we’ve only moved within neighborhoods, or at most 25 miles, and when younger had strong friends, and, now, older, strong next generation. 
I was astounded when United put each piece of our daughter and son-in-law’s furniture in a purpose built crate. 
When they unloaded it, they dismantled  each crate and showed me the furniture so I could mark it off an inventory list. Saw zero damage. 
And I earned pizza and beer for being chief inspector!

It was a company move, and I doubt DD and SIL would have paid for the kid glove treatment, but it was an eye opener. 
Our moves have all been killers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Wow, I'm lost for words. So sorry. Those pictures just scream lack of respect for you and your property. That is something I have no tolerance for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Day started out gloomy, fog, cold, drizzle again...but sun came out a couple of hours ago for our long walk.  So many nice place to walk here, starting with our 1/2 mile long wooded driveway.  

Until the sun came back out...it was time for a "belly warmer' type meal for lunch again.  This time it was my homemade chicken veggie noodle soup.  Put my Farmer's market veggies and the left over chicken to work for me.  🙂   Leftovers a plenty for next chilly, foggy day!  

Looks scrumptious!

• Like 1

@bobmaclibertyWhat a painful experience and by a "professional", or so you would think, moving company.  It is unfathomable how they could have damaged so much stuff.  If I didn't see the pictures I probably would not have believed it.  Thanks for the eye opening experience.  

It was really a lousy ending to what was such an exciting move.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks everyone for your kind words.  While still disappointed, we now realize that the only thing that can't easily be repaired or replaced was the walnut table (it IS amazing what tacos can do).  We can probably find someone who can turn a new pedestal leg for the walnut table and stain everything to match, but that will almost certainly cost more than the table is worth.  It was the sentimental value.  Nothing else had any sentimental value or was worth a significant amount of money.  If we're compensated, we can make most of this go away.  Micheline can buy something special to at least partially replace the walnut table.

The ball is now in Allied Van Lines court to make this right.  We'll see how they respond.  I've already let them know that there was significant damage and that we have pictures of everything (hint, hint).

That is an appalling amount of damage.

Our last move (in September) was with Allied. My husband actually saw them drop the barbecue on its face, making it completely unusable. They also broke our bed-  we were able get a matching side rail from the furniture company, but for months we slept on the the floor. Ok, on a mattress and box spring, but we felt like college students! 

Allied did pay for the damage.  

Sentiment matters. Even if the walnut table wouldn’t be “worth” fixing, it might be to Micheline.  

My heart goes out to you. It’s awful reaching into a box and hoping nothing else is damaged. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Horrible damage.  I can't believe the extent of that furniture damage and how those boxes were received by you. That so called moving company should be brought up on charges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Yikes,  how disappointing. Hopefully they compensate you for the damage, but so hard to put a cost to sentimental items.  Tacos and beach do make up for a lot but still. ☹

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Yikes,  how disappointing. Hopefully they compensate you for the damage, but so hard to put a cost to sentimental items.  Tacos and beach do make up for a lot but still. ☹

@bobmacliberty in honor of your ordeal today and the therapeutic properties of tacos, dinner tonight was skirt steak tacos.  

AF7202CA-4796-42A6-BCCC-F374E3AE4844.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In looking at the photos and I have an idea if you feel handy.

If you unbolt the leg chunk from the table and use wood glue (where I highlighted both pieces) then clamp it together overnight or a good 24 hrs you might be able to reuse the leg again. You might have to sink a few screws into the smaller piece into the leg to firm it up as well. Then rebolt it to the table. It might be worth a try if you feel handy. 

If it holds the break is at the upper backside of the leg. No one would see it unless they crawl under the table. It might come down to, would you feel comfortable trying and then having Thanksgiving dinner on this table.

Disclaimer… I am not want to be responsible for a table that breaks during any meal. 🙂

3DD25D95-518D-41D0-A1AB-8AC38148067C.thumb.jpeg.636211faaa6732b5dd56b7c4ebe3e75e.jpeg

• Like 9

Owen’s team won their first ball game of the season. 11-1.  Used 2 pitchers, played 6 in innings and mercied the other team. Owen did well. Played first 3 innings and centre field for the other 3. He had two doubles, grounded out twice and 2 rbi.  He also got home home twice. A great start, with another game Thursday and Saturday.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Is that a Peregrine falcon? Great photo! :classic_biggrin: Your own balcony? @fisherguy

Yep.  I see her/him from time to time buzzing the towers where we live.  Probably hunting for Pigeons and just taking a break on our railing.  I think it feels safe because we are up quite high and far away from street level.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday we were in St Mawes which featured quite heavily in the last Comoran Strike novel by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). It has a fortress castle built by King Henry 8th in the 16c . Lovely little town 

20210706_131626.jpg

20210706_131503.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Yesterday we were in St Mawes which featured quite heavily in the last Cormoran Strike novel by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling).

Thanks for the picture. I'm an avid reader of the Cormoran Strike's series. The one in St Mawes is called "Troubled blood"....

OTOH, I couldn't "relate" with the Harry Potter's series... 😠

• Like 1

@bobmaclibertySorry to hear about the damage by the movers. That is horrible.  I can’t believe they didn’t have things packed tightly and properly cushioned for the move.  

I helped my son pack for a move from Buffalo to San Francisco Bay Area (they used PODS), and we were always sorting and fitting different pieces so that things would not shift during the move.  Hopefully, you will get some satisfaction from them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1