Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've stayed at the Hilton and would highly recommend it.  The pool swim-up bar is perfect for getting in the cruise frame of mind, especially if you do 2 or 3 night pre-cruise stay. Plenty to do in Galveston. 

@Sea Dog

On one of our stays there was some kind of beauty pageant with dozens f young women in bikinis 😁😁, they also had some live music.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Have a safe trip home. How was your cruise on the Edge?

We had a wonderful time!!  Most people were wearing masks …except a few on the inside dance floor who were clueless.  Due to only 900 people sailing it was easy to move if we felt someone sat too close…. She is such a beautiful ship!!

Our next cruise is on the Reflection and I’m having to remind myself that the newest S Class ship is not a step down from Edge!!!  S Class used to our favorite before we tried E Class…which we were sure we’d hate…😜

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We are getting the edge effects of the same storm that many of you have experienced.

Not sure how this happened,  it's Andrews post but Bobs username.

Odd twist of fate.  You are normally storm central and we are on the fringe.  Reversed today.  Up to 14 inches as of an hour ago and still coming down.

Woke up at 6:15 and our school board had cancelled busses, high school had pivoted to remote learning but they said elementary schools were still open...WTH!!!  All the other boards had full closed schools.  About 15 minutes later they had changed their mind and closed the schools.  Wonder who the person was that made the initial decision and got the call from a higher up to change it.  Given how long it takes them to even clear the side streets getting out of our court will be a challenge even tomorrow.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So as you all know we are scheduled for a b2b to stay on Anthem Thursday for another 11 nights; however, we may cancel.     Hate to even think or type it but we are having computer issues with work laptop that cannot be resolved while onboard.      

Eric spent about 1.5 hours on a work video call where they took over the computer and tried everything they could think of and then we even went to Royal's IT guy to have him speak with our IT guy and bottom line is we are unable to access our VPN thru Royal's VPN network.     

We never had these issues in the past but both IT departments (work and Royal) have done recent changes with VPN servers and they just do not agree with each other (firewalls, servers, etc.)

Whenever we cruise we have always been able to work on and off and the fact we haven't been able to do anything for the last 9 days is really bothering Eric as he is trying his best to retain his customers but without being able to get them immediate answers they will move onto another lender.        

We have a great office staff to support us but they are extremely busy as there are some sick with covid and some others that had planned holidays like us since the housing market is traditionally slow this time of year.      

Guest services said we can let them by tomorrow afternoon if we wish to cancel our 2nd leg of the journey for a full refund.     I really don't want to but right now Eric is very anxious and annoyed that he cannot do what he needs to do. 

He also reached out to our VP of Operations who said he will communicate with the head of IT to double check if there is anything at all that can be done.     Fingers crossed they come up with a solution otherwise Eric is ready to cancel.

Sorry to hear this, technology at its greatest, not.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've stayed at the Hilton and would highly recommend it.  The pool swim-up bar is perfect for getting in the cruise frame of mind, especially if you do 2 or 3 night pre-cruise stay. Plenty to do in Galveston. 

@Sea Dog

I did a mock booking for our date and it would not let book one night. it said no rooms available, however if I put in two night stay they had rooms available. Looks like about $300 a night. Thanks for your info.

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

@Sea Dog

Should you choose to drive and need parking, this place is literally across the street from the cruise port, although the entrance is in the back of the building so you need to walk around the block. Still, they advertise themselves as closest parking to the pier.

https://*****

EDIT:  I guess the link is a no-no. The name of the facility is Galvenston Park N Cruise.

Something to consider for sure. Thank you.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

San Luis of course is nice. Prices are so high right now. 

I said it would be cheaper to stay in houston or texas city in a nicer hotel and pay for parking. Greg thinks he might want to stay on the ocean. Lol that mariott for almost $300. By hobby is $54 plus tax on priceline and probably nicer lol. To me the prices are so high you expect a much nicer hotel than you will get in Galveston for what you pay. Theres a nice doubletree by hobby under $100 lol. They are charging too much to stay on the ocean since covid. Went way up. All my roll calls are complaining.

Thank you Jane for your thoughts. I think you might be right. It may be cheaper to fly into Houston and stay at a cheaper hotel and shuttle down than to drive down and stay in Galveston on Seawall Blvd.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I dont know what kind of doctor marty is, but brilliant I'm sure. Nicest couple ever. Just mentioning his doctoral advise ... he is a doctor lol. 

I wouldnt have thought it was 1/2 mile to where we parked, seemed a hop jump and a skip away. That's why I said ask him, hes more detailed. They stayed at the hobby hilton, very nice but nothing included. Happy hour and breakfast extra. Very pretty hotel though. Hope you get to meet them. We decided to just save our money and stay at hobby airport. 

I would love to meet them. Looking into the Hobby Hilton now.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Their bus caught an edge and slid/went in the ditch. Everyone is safe and sound.

Yikes glad everyone is safe and sound. 

20 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Congrats on the Chiefs big win last night @Sea Dog.  Look for the Bills Mafia crazies to be visiting your city next weekend.  Should be a great game.

There is a local bar called Al's Bar and Grill that is home to Northland Kansas City Bill Backers so I'm sure there will be a lot there. I love Josh Allen and I think he is as talented as Mahomes. The Bills beat the Chiefs in October bad when the Chiefs couldn't get their s#$% together. I expect this game to be better. It's interesting in that the Chiefs have always been my hometown team but I don't consider myself a true fan. For so many years as a journalist covering the team I had to be impartial and I am prohibited to show emotion or cheer. Even reporters in the press box can be kicked out and have their credentials revoked for cheering or showing emotion. When I watch them play I watch more as an analyst. My wife thinks it funny that I do not cheer or get excited after a touchdown. I'm stone faced. I have serious doubts the Chiefs will go to the super bowl this year. They are good but not that good. Too many inconsistencies. Good luck. If you find yourself coming to KC for the game let me know. I will watch for free on my couch.

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Someone like it though, feel bad for all those little dogs.

Lizzy and Charlie are not fans of the snow.

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Up to 14 inches as of an hour ago and still coming down.

As I say go big or go home. Maybe it should change to go big and stay home.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

If you want a seafood restaurant suggestion in Savannah, try Pearl's Saltwater Grille.  

I was about to come here and ask if anyone has restaurant recommendations for Savannah, so great timing!  We’re planning to spend 2 nights there as we make our way to Ft Lauderdale at the end of this month.  We’ve stopped for the night in Pooler and Richmond Hill many times but never made the time to visit Savannah.  
Happy to hear suggestions from anyone else too. 
We’re also looking (again) at a night on Amelia Island.  Bob. I’d love your ideas for restaurants there.  Nothing fancy, just a good meal with nice atmosphere.  TIA. 

Today’s the day!  Embarkation Day!  It is raining in Los Angeles right now.  Sounds like some people are stuck back east as there are many cancelled flights and will have to cancel their cruise.  I feel so bad for them.

Sunset last night in San Pedro.  Disclaimer:  I did not take this picture.  Someone on the Navigator FB page did.  Just thought I’d share it.

B3AA83FF-CA39-46FA-9446-283AD4EE2EAF.thumb.jpeg.4dadd4f7b2170bfd47611aeac6a6d0b8.jpeg

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I did a mock booking for our date and it would not let book one night. it said no rooms available, however if I put in two night stay they had rooms available. Looks like about $300 a night. Thanks for your info.

A lot of the hotels require a two night stay.  Sometimes if you call them and talk to them in person they will waive that requirement.  We always liked staying at the Harbour House.  It was many years ago so I don't know what it is like now.  It is next to the cruise port, Starbucks is across the street and there were several restaurants next door.  Several hotels on the gulf side offer shuttles to the port.  They also offer parking during the cruise if you drive.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Now that you mention it,  many hotels in Galveston require a 2 night stay on weekends & other peak periods.  And being a tourists destination, there seems to be always something going on.  Last time I was there, the Lone Star Biker rally was in progress. Pretty lively!!

The Gulf Coast Cruise Port board has a ton of information and a dedicated following of posters that live in and around Galveston.  Plenty of "insider" info.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@ReneeFLL We are not expecting any news until after the Federal election in May.  By mid-June we should hopefully have some indications about the status  of the Sept 2022 - March 2023 cruise season.

I will keep my fingers crossed. 🤞

• Like 1

I'll take 10-12 inches of fine snow over this 2-3 inches of heavy, wet slush any day. Normally, I'd let mother nature melt it away but with no sun and temps beginning to drop, it'll soon be 2-3 inches of solid ice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Enjoy!!

Thank you so much for everything!

@Sea DogWe stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn by the Hobby Airport for one night.  The hotel shuttle picks you up to the hotel from the airport.  This is what you can do to get to the cruise port.  You take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and from there take a shuttle to the cruise port.  Check out Galveston Limousine Company for a round trip fare to and from Hobby.  They provide shuttle service to the cruise port from Hobby Airport and back.  The Hilton Garden Inn shuttle driver said that is what people do to get to the port all the time.  It is very reasonable, too.

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Something to consider for sure. Thank you.

Thank you Jane for your thoughts. I think you might be right. It may be cheaper to fly into Houston and stay at a cheaper hotel and shuttle down than to drive down and stay in Galveston on Seawall Blvd.

I would love to meet them. Looking into the Hobby Hilton now.

I stayed at la quinta hobby which had a elevator and a pool, and a exercise room and a business centre area ... unlike the one I stayed at in Galveston..very nice and had a free little breakfast.

I see the la quinta harbor Galveston for $78 as a express deal and can choose oceanview deluxe, which I think is what they called a suite .. no elevator in Galveston. Not updated or nice.

Helen and marty were going to stay at the doubletree at hobby, about same price as hilton, but they had hilton pts, so dont rule out the double tree, but I thought la quinta at hobby was nice.. just saying look at reviews .. there are maybe half a dozen nice hotels right there by hobby. This is a random Saturday night oct 15, not sure which date you are cruising...doubletree was about the same price as hilton etc .. night and day nicer than Galveston hotels .. doubletree is cheaper than the others this night booking the hotel direct... express deals cheaper. But it shows you can get a really nice hotel, fly in, and be shuttled to the port cheaper than a hotel on the ocean.

20220117_101114425.jpeg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, derorim said:

Andy decided I needed a robot to solve my Rubik's Cube, so he built this the other day.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

That is VERY cool.  I am impressed.  

+ 2 👍

21 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Today’s the day!  Embarkation Day!  

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Enjoy!!

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Enjoy your cruise.

+ 3 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So as you all know we are scheduled for a b2b to stay on Anthem Thursday for another 11 nights; however, we may cancel.     ......  Fingers crossed they come up with a solution otherwise Eric is ready to cancel.

@Sunshine3601That is so frustrating especially after the uncertainty & hoops to get on board in the first place.  Good that RCL are offering a full refund but hope a last minute solution is found so you can continue to cruise.

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

Sorry to hear this, technology at its greatest, not.

7 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Sunshine3601 Sorry to hear the computer issues may cause you to cancel the 2nd leg of your trip.  It must be very frustrating and disappointing.  Hope they can pull off a tech miracle for you!

+ 3 👍

27 minutes ago, Keksie said:

A lot of the hotels require a two night stay.  Sometimes if you call them and talk to them in person they will waive that requirement.  We always liked staying at the Harbour House.  It was many years ago so I don't know what it is like now.  It is next to the cruise port, Starbucks is across the street and there were several restaurants next door.  Several hotels on the gulf side offer shuttles to the port.  They also offer parking during the cruise if you drive.  

The main reason we book a hotel in Houston is due to the two night requirements on most weekends. Doubletree by hobby has a nice restaurant and a nice bar and we normally have Hilton points.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen and all other school aged kids are going back to school today in our Province. ...

Owen’s ride to school wasn’t uneventful.  Their bus caught an edge and slid/went in the ditch. Everyone is safe and sound.

2 hours ago, mets07 said:

Yikes! Glad they are all OK. 

@A&L_OntWhoa! Glad Owen and his fellow students are ok.

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Scary, glad no one was hurt.  

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Whew -- Happy to hear all is good.   

Must be scary to be a bus driver in your town with all the snow and ice on a regular basis.    Guess most drivers are used to it.   

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Pleased to hear Owen and his school friends are all okay.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Glad that everyone is safe.  I bet that bus driver had a big scare.  Oh to be young again when something like this is considered a fun adventure.

38 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yikes glad everyone is safe and sound. 

10 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Andrew glad to hear Owen and the others are ok.

+ 9 👍

• Like 2